X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by coyote137 View Post
    While waiting for mig29 and saab gripen to arrive here in Scotland. I decided to repaint my 80mm F86

Started with Tamiya primer over existing decals.
    Airbrush pattern with Tamiya paints
    Design and make my own graphics
    Weather and dirty with oil pastels
    then x2 coats clear matt acrylic varnish

all done in x2 days
    C1, and where exactly is your workshop there in Scotland? I believe I'll be wantin' to send a Corsair your way for a quick turnaround repaint. Beautiful work, Sir. Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• my sabre repaint

Comment

• Originally posted by coyote137 View Post
        my sabre repaint
        Nice, gave that Sabre and whole new look, I like it.

Comment

• Greetings to all, new to the forum. My question/concern is regarding the 80mm F-86 CG. Using the 170 -180 CG spec in the manual I’ve found that I need to move my batteries forward and not aft from the Esc location to get a balanced model. I’ve tried batteries ranging from 4000, 4500, and 5000 all 6 cell. Depending on the battery I move it forward from 2.4, 1.7, and 1.0 (4000, 4500, 5000). Fixin to do a maiden shortly and wanted to make sure I’m not missing something. Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers Woody

Comment

• Originally posted by at6pilot View Post
            Greetings to all, new to the forum. My question/concern is regarding the 80mm F-86 CG. Using the 170 -180 CG spec in the manual I’ve found that I need to move my batteries forward and not aft from the Esc location to get a balanced model. I’ve tried batteries ranging from 4000, 4500, and 5000 all 6 cell. Depending on the battery I move it forward from 2.4, 1.7, and 1.0 (4000, 4500, 5000). Fixin to do a maiden shortly and wanted to make sure I’m not missing something. Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers Woody
            Being that it's a low wing plane, are you balancing it upside down? If not, then that may have something to do with what you have observed. I can't use the ESC as a reference point since I'm using a different ESC/motor/fan than stock. But if you're doing it upside down, the battery goes where it needs to go.

Comment

Greetings to all, new to the forum. My question/concern is regarding the 80mm F-86 CG. Using the 170 -180 CG spec in the manual I’ve found that I need to move my batteries forward and not aft from the Esc location to get a balanced model. I’ve tried batteries ranging from 4000, 4500, and 5000 all 6 cell. Depending on the battery I move it forward from 2.4, 1.7, and 1.0 (4000, 4500, 5000). Fixin to do a maiden shortly and wanted to make sure I’m not missing something. Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers Woody
              at6pilot, Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Sir. Very glad to have you onboard. What xviper wrote is spot on. Post pictures when you are able. Love those pics. Best, LB
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Greetings. F-86 was balanced inverted. Planning a maiden flight tomorrow using the data I’ve accumulated. Will post photos before and after at our field.

Comment

Greetings. F-86 was balanced inverted. Planning a maiden flight tomorrow using the data I’ve accumulated. Will post photos before and after at our field.
                  Forget about the manual CG - and I never say that lol - have a read up on the 'sit test', which effectively has the battery as far back as it can go and still keep the nose wheel on the ground whilst taxiing.

Have a great maiden flight, she's a lovely old bird.

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post

Forget about the manual CG - and I never say that lol - have a read up on the 'sit test', which effectively has the battery as far back as it can go and still keep the nose wheel on the ground whilst taxiing.

Have a great maiden flight, she's a lovely old bird.
                    What he said, balance per the tail sit method. Amazing how much better it flies and lands set up this way. Manual CG is way way way to nose heavy.

Comment

• Greetings to all again. Had two great flights today. Set the CG at 200mm using a 4000 6cell. Two clicks up elevator, and two clicks right aileron was all the trim needed. Flew on rails using only half throttle. It’s a keeper! Please visit our web site at: www.fwthunderbirds.org
                      Appreciate all the help. Cheers Woody

Comment

• Battery and esc position mod.

in order to move the main battery back about 25mm I unscrewed the esc( black rectangle on photo) and pushed it back onto the plywood deck, still maintaining airflow from below and also adding airflow from above on both sides of the battery as I pushed it back until it just touched the esc.. I used a couple of cf rods to hold it down as per photos. This position also ensures a smoother airflow through the main inlet duct without interruption from the esc invading the duct. At the same time I created some holes in the top 2 front gun ports on both sides to allow more airflow into the battery compartment withut disturbing the main inlet airflow and this should be drawn through by the edf fan via both sides of the battery and the 2 holes now created by moving back the esc. I fly off grass so at the same time added 2 fod guards as shown, one to the cheeter hole one to the noseleg hole. The additional airflow created via the gun ports should also help compensate for the small amount lost by the fod guards. Moving the battery back has helped achieve the sit test cg position I was looking for without having to add tail weight. It works for me but be it on your own headClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201119_142817[1].jpg
Views:	882
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	286711Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201119_142020[1].jpg
Views:	882
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	286712Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201119_142001[1].jpg
Views:	872
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	286713Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201119_144748[1].jpg
Views:	874
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	286714

Comment

• at6pilot and paulrkytek, I have threatened to buy this aircraft for a year or so and looking at your models (and since there has been no new Flightline P-51B Malcolm Hood) I might just need, yes need, to get off the fence. Great mods and great looking models, Gentlemen. Best, LB
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• You are welcome Elbee, just out of interest my battery is a Rhino 4000mah 50C pack weighing 715gms but not shown for clarity. I have a separate 6to 10amp ztw bec (18gms) to power the rx fed from a 370mah 2s nanotech lipo weighing 26gms set behind the canopy in the void where the motor to esc wires feed through and the bec set to 5.5v, there is no blue box otherwise it would be set to 5v. I will be fitting 2 no 5to 7v white leds in the lower cannon slots fed from the output side of the ZTW bec each consuming 20 mah. CG 195to200mm back from front wing to body joint measured upside down. I have this setup on my Avanti S outrunner edf where I consume about 65 to70 mah per 3.5 min flight from the rx battery which I change after 2 flights. The fod guard is cut from a wire frying pan anti splash guard which costs £1.50p here in the uk.

Comment

• Video from 2014 to show sit test for CG
                              Freewing's EPO F-86F "Jolley Roger" scale replica 80mm EDF scale Sabre Jet of the 1950's era is show here demonstrating its remarkable scale handling capab...

Comment

• I just love the new big motor version, but wish they would update the plane, Compared to my T-33 it's a little crude. However it is still my all time high favorite plane. Here is my new one done up as a CL-13 Mk6.

Comment

• Very nice PHF, its definitely been worth the time and effort

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201203_150903[1].jpg
Views:	698
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	288817Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201203_144131[1].jpg
Views:	706
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	288815 lights fitted, just the weathering to sort out now, the photo gives white out to the red and green but to the naked eye it works well, hence the green with lights off Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201203_144543[1].jpg
Views:	760
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	288816

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201203_144317_4CS[1].jpg
Views:	701
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	288814

Comment

• paulrkytek , Nice modification. Could double as a 'gun fire' mod as well Best, LB
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Here is my F86 Sabre Ultra High Performance version converted from Mig Killer to Covid 19 Killer complete with not one but two top secret totally unproven magic blunderbusses of ultra sonic light and virus seeking death rays. Cannot wait to get those little covid kill stickers mounting up next to those little red stars!!!! If it doesn`t work I suppose they will have to do for landing and position lights. Oh yes and seasons greetings to one and all from Paul.

Name:	IMG_20201207_123317[1].jpg
Views:	713
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	289260

Name:	IMG_20201207_123636[1].jpg
Views:	669
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	289261

Name:	IMG_20201207_123712[1].jpg
Views:	646
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	289262

Name:	IMG_20201207_123804[1].jpg
Views:	576
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	289263

Comment

• Decided to paint the drop tanks for better visibility in our grey sky

Name:	IMG_20201210_095359[1].jpg
Views:	649
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	289726

Name:	IMG_20201210_095253[1].jpg
Views:	627
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	289727

Comment

Working...