X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post

Chris, Don't forget I need nose gear doors! Mains would be cool too!
    Doors are definitely on my radar! :) Once I have the airplane, I'll have a better idea of what's needed to fit them. A Nose door should be easy to do. The mains will be tougher based on all of the curvature, but manageable I think.

Chris
    http://thercgeek.com
    http://youtube.com/thercgeek

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
      Hey Sarge,

I based my decision from Monty's contribution above:

"I fly off a grass runway and my Stinger 90 has no problems on our strip, even when the strip is very wet. The Stinger has 65mm main wheels and 45m nose wheels, so as the A4 runs 65mm mains and 50mm a nose wheel I am not anticipating any issues and on that basis have pre-ordered."

5mm dia. bigger nose wheel than the Stinger 90 and I had no problem with that plane rotating off grass. Or the Mig-21 and even the F5. She kind of stands tall with what looks like a scale-like built-in positive AOA. The real "car" I have is the 70mm F-16 V2.
      Hey Dahawk
      I agree to a certain extent that the A-4 Skyhawk will probably fly off a grass field. But all grass fields are not the same height in grass levels. Like I said last year it was dry and I could fly all my EDF's off our grass field with absolutely no....... problems !! This year it's been raining every other day making the grass green and thick. My A-10 80mm has no problems taking off !!! After I saw Pilot Ryan's video flying the A-10 off a good thick grass field I was sold. I'm just waiting for that video of the Skyhawk. He stated that one was coming out. I know I probably buy it just waiting to see it off the grass field video.:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by The RC Geek View Post

Hey Ryan,

Any chance you could measure the main strut length for me? I'm curious the length from the top of the strut at the retract to the center of the tire. Those stock main struts just are killing me, haha! So, I'd like to look into a traditional strut option for my pre-ordered bird. ;) Thanks!

Chris
        Hey Chris.

From where the strut pin enters the trunnion to the axle?

Comment

• Checked with Callie, she quoted me $27.50 for the Blue Angels scheme.

I think I'll go with Testors Model Masters for paint since they have the "Blue Angels" shades.

Now hoping it won't gator in the sun.

Sean

Comment

Hey Ryan,

Any chance you could measure the main strut length for me? I'm curious the length from the top of the strut at the retract to the center of the tire. Those stock main struts just are killing me, haha! So, I'd like to look into a traditional strut option for my pre-ordered bird. ;) Thanks!

Chris
            Mike says it's 95mm from trunnion to axle.

Comment

• Hello all,

I had the opportunity to fly a pre-release A-4 with Jon Barnes. I own many Freewing EDF's and the F-5 and Mig-21 are some of my favorite top performers. I wanted to see how this 80mm A-4 was going to measure up.
              From looking at the model, Jon and I were a little intimidated: it's got a high center of gravity with the fueselage mounted on top of the wing and a fairly long front gear strut. The ailerons are really scale and, well VERY large.
              The motor has slightly more KV than my rocket performer Mig-21. Well, I got to say as soon as it rotated it felt perfectly nimble but not in anyway a handful. This plane is an absolute performer with an awesome power to weight
              ratio and, depending on how you dial it, a dizzying roll rate- just like the real aircraft?!
              It was mentioned that maybe the Freewing Mig-21 and the Freewing Mirage 2000 had a baby? Yes indeed. We limited our flight times because we were maidening. Regardless, we got 3.5" flights on 4000 mah Admirals.
              The scale attributes of this plane are just something to see. I love that two decal options are available for USN and USMC. We found this plane flew slow really well and was nice an floaty for landings. I am really impressed that
              Freewing wanted to keep this model a scale looking performer and not add all the bells and whistles with lighting etc. Like the Mig-21, this plane is just a real gem of a flyer and although "Imposing" is a word often thrown around
              this aircraft really makes itself known in the air and on the ground! We found the manuals direction on the aircraft setup and CG to be spot on. Just re-check the CG while adding and subtracting the underwing attachments and you will be fine (there is an addendum in the manual that covers this)!
              Go Scooter!
              Rob Dehner

Comment

• wow great report... can't wait.... its probably best to forget I ordered one was the wait will likely drive me Nutz! :-)
                Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by Drill Sergeant View Post

Hey Skippykix. I'm also a retired Army veteran. yes I have concerns about if the A-4 Skyhawk 80mm can takeoff grass fields or not. We fly off grass field at our club and I use to fly my Freewing F-14 80mm off our grass field but due to this rainy season it won't take off. The grass is thicker and soft due to the fertilizer and plenty rain. So I also is waiting to pull the trigger until Pilot Ryan do a video on grass with the A-4. I bought my Freewing A-10 80mm when I saw him did it off a grass field. Yes I'm excited to get a Skyhawk but you just can't fly it off and area with pavement that's not AMA insurance covered. Your flying field is. Good things comes to those who wait.:Cool:
                  If you are solely basing you concerns for the A-4 grass ops on the F-14, you should't. I also find the F-14 to take much longer to rotate in the grass conditions you describe. My F-15 (on 8s) behaves the same also. I always use take-off flaps so that not it.,, well, it could be but I'm not going into that. The culprit is that the thick grass brakes with enough force that the nose gear strut fully compresses, forcing a nose down and "sticking" the bird to the pavement more. Once the strut extends, all is good. A really gradual power application, to prevent the strut from compressing is one solution. Also, I believe the slight nose up stance on the A-4 will overcome this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post

Ryan, can you or Mike possibly get a measurement on how wide the battery bay is?

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Ryan, can you or Mike possibly get a measurement on how wide the battery bay is?
                      And the HEIGHT... That's what's most important! ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post

cool, thanks! That's actually a little bit shorter than I was expecting.
                        http://thercgeek.com
                        http://youtube.com/thercgeek

Comment

Yeah, I think it looks longer than it is...

Comment

Thats for the mains.

Comment

• Callie has the Blue Angels decals posted on her web site now.

We can do any number you'd like for the tail!  Just leave a note in the "Comments" Box when you check out with your preference. Blue Angels #1 Photo by Ed PrchlikBlue Angels # 3 Photo by Joseph Wright

Sean

Comment

• She can climb!

Comment

• You just rotated a horizontal pass picture... ;)

Comment

• LOL

Comment

• Nah, that would be misrepresenting this fine model! My pilot Rob takes offense at your allegation. :P:)

Comment

• Originally posted by AceMigKiller View Post
                                        You just rotated a horizontal pass picture... ;)
                                        One good "turn" deserves another then! :Smug:

Comment

• ... I see what you did there. :)

Comment

Working...
                                          X