X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by skippykix View Post
    Man I wish I new if this plane did well off of a grass runway! I have my fingers on the trigger but keep second guessing myself.
    If you really want it that bad you should not let the limitations of a grass runway dictate what planes you can own. I am sure there has to be in your area a nice paved parking lot next to an open area or even better a nice side street that goes to a dead end that can become a good runway.
    You should just go ahead and get it. If it doesn't take off well from grass you can always find and alternate paved impromptu runway. You can use google maps to search satellite images from around your area to aid in the search. Then once you find a spot just check if there are any flight restrictions with this site. http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/ Then just go in person to check it out.

Comment

• Not sure if I missed it in the thread, but from all the photos of the Freewing A-4, I don't see any nav lights.

Comment

• Spec page says no lights.
        Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
        Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
        I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by Fast Eddie View Post
          Not sure if I missed it in the thread, but from all the photos of the Freewing A-4, I don't see any nav lights.
          You can always install the nav lights yourself. I always order a light kit with every new airplane purchase that don't have them. It is easier to install them during the build than to add them later.

Comment

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

Dude, your killing me!

I've convinced myself to wait until Christmas to buy this one. With a mid September delivery that's about the end of the flying season in Iowa so I if I got it now I wouldn't have much flying season to enjoy it.

Everything you post a picture I become a little weaker and am loosing what little self control I have.LOL

I initially wanted the Blue Angles scheme but after seeing this scheme that's what I want.
            C'mon Dave....get this one now and then another later to do the BA scheme.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty500 View Post
              I fly off a grass runway and my Stinger 90 has no problems on our strip, even when the strip is very wet. The Stinger has 65mm main wheels and 45m nose wheels, so as the A4 runs 65mm mains and 50mm a nose wheel I am not anticipating any issues and on that basis have pre-ordered.
              Thanks Monty!
              If all goes well today with sale of my F7F and they are not sold out if A-4's, I'll do it. I've also flown the Stinger 90, F5, A6, Mig-21, Yak-130 and of course the designed for grass field A-10 off our field without issue. The only plane that's a true "car" is the 70mm F-16 v2. Worse case, maybe install a Mig-21 nose strut ?

Hawk
              Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39

Comment

• Two questions on the build video that perhaps Pilot Ryan or Captain Mike can answer.

1. Which two whistles did Captain Mike use? Looks to me like the long and medium length whistles.

2. He mentions using the kit glue because it dries slower which is needed for the next step. I assume that's to make sure the mounting holes for the vertical stabilizer can be lined up before the glue fully dries when gluing the two fuselage halves .

Comment

Two questions on the build video that perhaps Pilot Ryan or Captain Mike can answer.

1. Which two whistles did Captain Mike use? Looks to me like the long and medium length whistles.

2. He mentions using the kit glue because it dries slower which is needed for the next step. I assume that's to make sure the mounting holes for the vertical stabilizer can be lined up before the glue fully dries when gluing the two fuselage halves .
                  When putting the vertical stab/empennage on I think it would make it quicker and easier to first pull a string through the center fuselage channel and attach it to the servo leads. This way you're not futzing with trying to run them through the correct channel in the fuselage while the glue on the empennage is setting up. If you need more time I guess you could use 30minute or 1 hour epoxy though. I do love that glue that comes with the models. That stuff is fantastic.
                  But, as the saying goes there's a 101 ways to skin the cat. As long you get the job done without cutting up your hands I guess it's personal preference.

Comment

• I was thinking the same thing, run the wires through first, then glue on the tail cone and immediately attach the vertical.

For the whistles, I used the medium and short in my A-10 and I really love the sound. I think I'll do the same for the A-4.
                    Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                      For the whistles, I used the medium and short in my A-10 and I really love the sound. I think I'll do the same for the A-4.
                      I followed your lead on the A-10 and did the same, love the sound!

Comment

• Yep. Low passes at less than half throttle, and landing approaches sound awesome!
                        Pat

Comment

• Well?

I succumbed. With a little trepidation, I'm in. I sold my "Here Kitty Kitty" F7F TigerCat today,came home and pre-ordered. Hated to see her go but we parted on friendly terms. She'll be missed. Sold her to a SWA pilot who will treat her well. So, goodbye Kitty and Hello Scooter ! Now I'll be talking to Andy over at RCjetwerx.com for a batt recommendation. He pre-ordered one too. Thinking high C rating.

Hawk

Comment

• I don't think we really need high C packs for these newer jets. I've been flying the RT 5800 35Cs in my Mig, F-14 and A-10, and they hardly get warm. I've tested these packs out at a true 22C-23C, which is good for 130A continuous without danger of damaging the batteries. Andy at Rcjetwerx told me today he is expecting some more of the 6250s in next month, and I can't wait to try them.
                            Pat

Comment

• I have a pair of 6250 35's for the A-10. Also have a pair of 5800 35C's. Are you looking to try them in the A4? Was thinking the Scooter might want some more goo.

Comment

• The ESC in the A-4 is rated at 100A. Since the 5800 35Cs can give me 130A without breaking a sweat, I'm sure they'll be up to the task. I think the only way to get more power is to use an HV blend lipo.
                                Pat

Comment

Dude, your killing me!

I've convinced myself to wait until Christmas to buy this one. With a mid September delivery that's about the end of the flying season in Iowa so I if I got it now I wouldn't have much flying season to enjoy it.

Everything you post a picture I become a little weaker and am loosing what little self control I have.LOL

I initially wanted the Blue Angles scheme but after seeing this scheme that's what I want.
                                  Lol! Thanks. You'll love it! It's my new favorite delta wing. I love the approaches, nose high and thrusty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post

Lol! Thanks. You'll love it! It's my new favorite delta wing. I love the approaches, nose high and thrusty.
                                    Hey Ryan,

Any chance you could measure the main strut length for me? I'm curious the length from the top of the strut at the retract to the center of the tire. Those stock main struts just are killing me, haha! So, I'd like to look into a traditional strut option for my pre-ordered bird. ;) Thanks!

Chris
                                    http://thercgeek.com
                                    http://youtube.com/thercgeek

Comment

• Originally posted by The RC Geek View Post

Hey Ryan,

Any chance you could measure the main strut length for me? I'm curious the length from the top of the strut at the retract to the center of the tire. Those stock main struts just are killing me, haha! So, I'd like to look into a traditional strut option for my pre-ordered bird. ;) Thanks!

Chris
                                      Chris, Don't forget I need nose gear doors! Mains would be cool too!

Comment

• Originally posted by skippykix View Post
                                        Man I wish I new if this plane did well off of a grass runway! I have my fingers on the trigger but keep second guessing myself.
                                        Hey Skippykix. I'm also a retired Army veteran. yes I have concerns about if the A-4 Skyhawk 80mm can takeoff grass fields or not. We fly off grass field at our club and I use to fly my Freewing F-14 80mm off our grass field but due to this rainy season it won't take off. The grass is thicker and soft due to the fertilizer and plenty rain. So I also is waiting to pull the trigger until Pilot Ryan do a video on grass with the A-4. I bought my Freewing A-10 80mm when I saw him did it off a grass field. Yes I'm excited to get a Skyhawk but you just can't fly it off and area with pavement that's not AMA insurance covered. Your flying field is. Good things comes to those who wait.:Cool:

Comment

• Hey Sarge,

I based my decision from Monty's contribution above:

"I fly off a grass runway and my Stinger 90 has no problems on our strip, even when the strip is very wet. The Stinger has 65mm main wheels and 45m nose wheels, so as the A4 runs 65mm mains and 50mm a nose wheel I am not anticipating any issues and on that basis have pre-ordered."

5mm dia. bigger nose wheel than the Stinger 90 and I had no problem with that plane rotating off grass. Or the Mig-21 and even the F5. She kind of stands tall with what looks like a scale-like built-in positive AOA. The real "car" I have is the 70mm F-16 V2.

Comment

Working...
                                          X