X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im anxious to try the turnigy since it adds weight

Edit: So today I flew the bird twice paying close attention to CG. My CG was exactly as described previously. However......

1. Using the newer Admiral 5000, she tends to leap off the runway. A strong gust or too much back pressure and you may be going vertical.
    I've always just used a very slight back pressure or none at all. Today I had to pull because of the approaching high grass. She went vertical.

2. Using the Turnigy HD 5000 brick, she tends to liftoff in a more scale manner and penetrate the wind easier. Landing speeds can be a bit higher.
    Also sink rate can be an issue with tanks on. The heavier battery makes this a little more obvious. I flew 3:55 and landed at 3.78v/cell on the brick.

3. I had a runway abort on takeoff #2. Apparently I had let the empty bird rest on the back of the drop tanks in between battery changes. Unknown to me, this had dislodged the forward magnets' hold on both tanks. During the takeoff roll, the port tank separated. I jettisoned the starboard tank and pulled power. Taxied back and re-loaded the tanks. The idea was to fly with tanks after all. Subsequent flights were a non-issue.

4. My judgment is still good I guess. After two flights on this horrendously windy and turbulent day, I decided to scrub and go home.
    My buddy lost his Flightline Spitty today in that wind. I felt like the A-4 was getting a beating in the air. I stopped at two flights after the wind picked up more.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180315_142253.jpg Views:	1 Size:	164.2 KB ID:	123181Click image for larger version  Name:	20180315_123436.jpg Views:	3 Size:	122.4 KB ID:	123182 Click image for larger version  Name:	20180314_145304.jpg Views:	2 Size:	138.4 KB ID:	123184

I may or may not have video of today's adventures. We shall see.
    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Here is the video. I forced her up due to a tail wind gust I think. The landing was marginal. But nothing was damaged except my pride.
      Too windy for me.

Comment

• looks as if u can see it better then dull gray

Comment

• Visibility is much better.

flying with tanks in wind makes me rethink my control throws. Low rates with tanks and wind.

Comment

• More of the RNZAF paint job. Been taking it slow. The wind here has been terrible. Not suitable for flying, fishing, garden work or painting!!!!! Just too much wind! We had gusts to 44mph a day or two ago.... Thunderstorms tonight and in the AM.... :Straight-Face:

Comment

• Pics may help here!!! LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                Pics may help here!!! LOL
                Oh yeah I like where this is going already. Keep the pics coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                  Pics may help here!!! LOL
                  That's looking good! Texas weather, wait 5 minutes it'll change:)

Comment

• Looks great Hardway!

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post

That's looking good! Texas weather, wait 5 minutes it'll change:)
                      So very true!!! Now it is too dark to paint, but no wind!!! I can fly the timber umx with lights, maybe!!! :)

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                        Looks great Hardway!
                        Your bird is WAY BETTER for seeing it in the air!! Very nice paint job. Gloss and clean is hard to pull off!!!! I just love this "Royal" look, but it will take a lot of attention to fly! I may do orange wingtips for my own sanity. LOL. Have the decals already from Callie. I also compiled some nomenclature that looks appropriate, but on this camo, the black lettering will be mostly invisible...

Comment

• Anyway, thank you all for your support. I am looking forward to finishing it. It was taxi tested and then pulled down for paint. Should have left it ready to fly since the F-4 Phantom II is here Monday! And a PBY too..... :Silly:

Comment

• A-4 with Callie graphics. I fly it at about 182mm CG (keeps it from pitching up during rotation) 1/2 flaps for takeoff and full flaps for landing. I use a Eagle Super II gyro for stability and it flies like if were on rails. Great plane and a keeper. Thank you MotionRC - RC flying just keeps getting better!

Comment

• AHHHH another Jeti man! Love it !!!
                              Just purchased my DS16 and the A-4 will be the 1st ship on this new set. Absolutely love the flexibility and command this radio has.
                              Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Guys HELP :-) I need a hand.

Freaking out a bit as my current the set up isn't matching my last A4 "CG wise". Its been a while and can't remember the specifics of the last set up. Everything I am reading is.....
                                Admiral 5000 as far forward as possible.
                                Move battery strap forward,
                                move the non stick rubber matt all the way forward..
                                and CG per the addendum.

Measuring from Here( Pic with Red screw driver) Wheels up. So here is my set up on the EX balancer. 193 mm from new point in instructions. Check out how far back my Battery is.... Is this FUBAR??? or am I losing my mind and I am Good to go?

Many thanks guys!

Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Just my opinion:

I do not recommend flying this bird at that CG with wheels up. You will be in trouble immediately. That 193 or 195 you set should be with wheels down and that Admiral needs to be all the way forward.

The reason being that when the wheels come down your CG will move about 10mm AFT of that point. Not good. And you will see this right on takeoff. At your current setting you will takeoff at a CG around 205. Way to far back.
                                  To test this, drop the gear while the bird is on the cg machine with your current setup.

If setting CG with wheels up you need to be like 180-185. You can go even more nose heavy but I do not think this is necessary. And don't haul back too much on the elevator on takeoff. And she likes low rates.

Good luck on the maiden! I am sure you will do fine.

In the photos below you can see where I run my batteries. The heavy Turnigy brick is about even with the screws on the tray. The Admiral is all the way up against the circuit board.
                                  EDIT: your battery may be a little aft of mine due to your nose gear mod. But not much.

Comment

• Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• 1000 Thank you's!!! So the Addendum is WRONG.....
                                      It calls for 195 wheels up.....

So 190 - 195 Wheels down!
                                      180 - 185 Wheels up!

:Cool:

Comment

• All I can tell you is what I do. Others can chime in if need be. But I would not let the CG fall back behind 195 in any flight condition.
                                        That being said, I agree with Yoda in his review video. It's quite CG numb in my opinion. But don't get it back too far.

Did you check it on the CG machine. Drop the gear and see what happens with your current setup?

Comment

• OK! Much better!

Comment

Working...
                                          X