Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post

Just be careful with the voltage drop.
    I kicked off this BEC discussion on this thread, but I probably didn't explain myself very well. Currently in my Freewing F-4, I have an ESC with BEC plugged into the receiver. This BEC is set to 6 volts I believe. Then I have a second backup BEC plugged into another receiver port set to 5 volts. This backup BEC is powered by a small 220mah 2s LiPo. I have tested it and it works a treat when the main flight battery is disconnected. It also gives me reassurance in the air should my main flight battery completely fail or the ESC cooks off together with the main BEC. This is what I want to do with the MiG-29.

Comment

• Originally posted by Necroscope View Post
      Well our club in the UK (LDF) has four of these hopefully coming its way, off the pre-order.

I am thinking of using a Spektrum AR637T RX with a SPM9745 Sat. I will use a low key AS3X program from my F22 (that works really well).

Coupled with 2-off Turnigy 6S 5K HD packs.

Does anyone see any problems with this setup?
      Sounds like a great setup. Notwithstanding the twin motor setup it's a pretty straightforward jet. AETR, gear and flaps.

I would drop an AR636 straight in there but I'm hooked on telemetry and opentx radios can't forward program the 637T. So, frsky it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post

Sounds like a great setup. Notwithstanding the twin motor setup it's a pretty straightforward jet. AETR, gear and flaps.

I would drop an AR636 straight in there but I'm hooked on telemetry and opentx radios can't forward program the 637T. So, frsky it is.
        Is the AR636 getting discontinued in favour of the AR637T do you know? I run the 636 in all of my other birds.

Comment

• Any chance this gets delivered early?

Comment

• Originally posted by DMich55 View Post
            Any chance this gets delivered early?
            Always a chance, but in the current climate, who knows. We ship pre-orders straight off the container as soon as they arrive

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post

As is our M.O., we wanted to give users a sensible degree of choice for their MiG-29. So, out of the box, the MiG-29 wears standard digital camo on the vertical stabs, pre-installed from the factory. The tiger decal is one large waterslide piece and the rudder piece, and is included in the box, uninstalled. If you want to stay with a standard digital camo bird, leave the model As Is, Out-of-The-Box. If you want to add a bit off flash to your tail, the tiger decal is included, ready for your quick install in a couple minutes.

Out of the box, "0921", port and starboard:

Click image for larger version Name:	Out Of the Box - 0921 - Port.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.2 KB ID:	267875Click image for larger version Name:	Out of the box - 0921 - Starboard.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.4 KB ID:	267880

Apply the included waterslide Tiger decal, port and starboard, to depict this livery:

Click image for larger version Name:	Tiger CAG - Port.jpg Views:	0 Size:	277.0 KB ID:	267876Click image for larger version Name:	2317404.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.9 KB ID:	267881

Here are the decals themselves, out of the box:

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200810_092045.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	267878Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200810_092106.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	267879

And showing the Tiger decal's placement (self-explanatory... just apply it directly over the existing camo decal on the vertical stab)
              Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200810_092158.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.3 KB ID:	267877

I can't decide if I like the base camo or the Tiger. Probably base camo without the Tiger for me. Or not. I don't know. Anyway, y'all have options for both. There's no wrong answer!

*Credit to Airliners.net for the reference photos used above of the full size aircraft
              Perfect, thank you!

Comment

If there's sufficient interest, I can draft a 3DPUP for the seat on a future Twitch livestream
                Yes, there is sufficient interest, Sir. Best, LB
                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by mick8488 View Post

I kicked off this BEC discussion on this thread, but I probably didn't explain myself very well. Currently in my Freewing F-4, I have an ESC with BEC plugged into the receiver. This BEC is set to 6 volts I believe. Then I have a second backup BEC plugged into another receiver port set to 5 volts. This backup BEC is powered by a small 220mah 2s LiPo. I have tested it and it works a treat when the main flight battery is disconnected. It also gives me reassurance in the air should my main flight battery completely fail or the ESC cooks off together with the main BEC. This is what I want to do with the MiG-29.
                  "Another receiver port" means they are shorted together. If you open a receiver and look at the circuit board, you can see all the power pins are tied to all the power pins, and all the ground pins tied to all the ground pins. This means you are shorting 6v to 5v. The 6v BEC will try as hard as it can to pull that power bus up to 6v, while the other BEC is trying as hard as it can to pull the same metal down to 5v. If that path through both BECs is 1 Ohm, then the result is that your 6v BEC is constantly supplying 1Amp (V = I x R) and your 5v BEC is constantly sinking 1Amp, just to maintain that 1 volt difference. If that path is less than 1 Ohm, the situation gets worse quickly. If you put an amp meter you will see high current draw when there is no activity. This causes heating, transistor aging, loss of capacity to supply the system, and faster battery drain.

Do whatever you want, but two BEC's constantly fighting each other seems very undesirable to me. As another user mentioned, you can put a diode on the 5V line to prevent this back-current (although you have to know what you are doing with the diode selection, otherwise you can introduce other problems). Anyway, I've been an electrical engineer for 40 years, and I generally leave these RTF power systems alone, because I figure mucking around without knowing all the detailed design of the specific regulators used in the system could end up making it worse instead of better. I don't mean to be a downer here, but just thought folks should know that shorting two power supplies together has some issues, FYI.

OK back to on-topic - I have never flown a plane with anhedral on the wing. Does this make is somewhat less stable? Is this a good case for a gyro? (and I don't mean to kick off the old gyro-vs-no-gyro religious war in general, I just mean specifically as relates to a plane with anhedral).

Comment

• at least with full size aircraft, although model has a much thicker wing

https://howthingsfly.si.edu/ask-an-e...mance-aircraft

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

.................................................. ............
                      OK back to on-topic - I have never flown a plane with anhedral on the wing. Does this make is somewhat less stable? Is this a good case for a gyro? (and I don't mean to kick off the old gyro-vs-no-gyro religious war in general, I just mean specifically as relates to a plane with anhedral).
                      The only anhedral RC model I've flown is the larger FW F-104. It has a tendency to dutch roll which may be exacerbated by the anhedral. I've flown this model with and without it's gyro to dampen this in this particular model and it's definitely desirable to have it on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post

The only anhedral RC model I've flown is the larger FW F-104. It has a tendency to dutch roll which may be exacerbated by the anhedral. I've flown this model with and without it's gyro to dampen this in this particular model and it's definitely desirable to have it on.
                        Thanks, I didn't know that term. Wikipedia has a good article on "Dutch Roll", and links to several other terms (phugoid, etc.). This will be my first plane shaped like a modern fighter jet. So far have only flown the A-10, the Me-262, and many sort-of-Avanti-shaped sport jets.

Comment

• Not sure if anyone plays DCS, it's one of the most realistic combat sim available today. Here is a 1-on-1 MiG-29 vs F-18 fight. It's amazing how much off-boresight targeting a modern missile is capable of.

Comment

• As is our M.O., we wanted to give users a sensible degree of choice for their MiG-29. So, out of the box, the MiG-29 wears standard digital camo on the vertical stabs, pre-installed from the factory. The tiger decal is one large waterslide piece and the rudder piece, and is included in the box, uninstalled. If you want to stay with a standard digital camo bird, leave the model As Is, Out-of-The-Box. If you want to add a bit off flash to your tail, the tiger decal is included, ready for your quick install in a couple minutes.

Hi Alpha, this is great news to have the option but I note during the unboxing by James the fins were blank on the outboard sides? Is that because this was a pre-production unit?

Comment

• Alpha, what are your thoughts on this with the high performance 80’s with 12 blades installed? Have you tested it with this set up? I’m thinking I have really loved the way it’s changed some old dogs into new dogs (f-86 etc). Think that’s the way I’m going or want to go anyway.

Comment

• Big12fan The PNP MiG-29 utilizes the 9B Inrunner setup used on recent pre-upgraded PNPs such as the T-33. It hits the ideal balance we're looking for, which is why it's being gradually standardized into all 80mm jets over time.

I prefer this inrunner 9B system over the inrunner 12B system incrementally for top speed, but in practice, either system will power the MiG-29 very well for speed and acceleration. It is difficult to convey just how easy it is to fly in normal attitudes; the difference in blade count becomes evident only during abnormal attitudes, such as powering out of a flat spin.
                                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper911 View Post
                                  As is our M.O., we wanted to give users a sensible degree of choice for their MiG-29. So, out of the box, the MiG-29 wears standard digital camo on the vertical stabs, pre-installed from the factory. The tiger decal is one large waterslide piece and the rudder piece, and is included in the box, uninstalled. If you want to stay with a standard digital camo bird, leave the model As Is, Out-of-The-Box. If you want to add a bit off flash to your tail, the tiger decal is included, ready for your quick install in a couple minutes.

Hi Alpha, this is great news to have the option but I note during the unboxing by James the fins were blank on the outboard sides? Is that because this was a pre-production unit?
                                  Yes, as noted, his was a pre-ship production version. It is identical to the shipped production version in all others areas except the fin decal situation.
                                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Yes, as noted, his was a pre-ship production version. It is identical to the shipped production version in all others areas except the fin decal situation.
                                    Excellent, Thx Alpha

Comment

• Originally posted by Skosh25 View Post

Which one do you use? The Admiral?

https://www.motionrc.com/products/ad...aba-connectors
                                      No. I use the two cell LiFe packs from Spektrum. No stepdown transformer required.

Comment

• Might stay with the digital now that i know the kitty cat isnt on the tail :p

Comment

• Alfa...yeah the 9bl inrunner setup is awesome!! Heck...even the 9bl outrunner from the a10 is impressive. It flew my freewing f18 pretty dang good!

Comment

Working...
                                          X