Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
    Nice club pavilion :Cool:
    Thanks. It's been pieced together/improved over the years. It lets us get out of the weather and fly all year.

Comment

• Flew the VQ PC-6 all weekend.
      First flight was yesterday morning.
      107” wingspan @ 24lbs.
      12s 8000mAh power system @ 140amp max
      Dualsky GA6000.8 motor / 180Kv, 9hp @ 8000rpm
      10 minute flights, take off n land in around 100-150ft

Big loops, rolls, stall turns... nothing crazy but big basic fun

Click image for larger version  Name:	B1A9CDF2-F77C-41A0-B1AC-1D6938241FF5.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	270.8 KB ID:	134650Click image for larger version  Name:	B60B861D-E23E-4747-BA45-061598BAF95C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	110.8 KB ID:	134649Click image for larger version  Name:	B7E6F50B-1AEC-4EB9-8AC9-601F076F3246.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	53.8 KB ID:	134648

Comment

• SWEEEEET:Cool:
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Got some awesome photos of some of my airplanes at the Austin RC Scale & Warbird event 3 weeks ago courtesy of Jeremy Royall. He is an amazing photographer!

Comment

• Hoomi, cant wait to see your Waco with your new graphics.
            Still Learning:D

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              Hoomi, cant wait to see your Waco with your new graphics.
              Hopefully, I should have the decals from Callie this week.

Comment

• ... ;)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1960.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	134783

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	135056 Avanti ready for maidan.... freewing 6s inrunner.... 125 amp esc..... a3 gyro with invisable wing fences installed...t45 pilots..all mods done also fr gear ect 3 coats of poly and some 1/16 inch pinstripe done:Cool: NOW waiting on the weather RAIN...RAIN...RAIN...:Angry::Not-Talking:

Comment

• Nice!

Comment

• Originally posted by CZ Flyer View Post

Edge 540 is FMS too! I have both as well. Already ordered FMS parts for both planes. I got the Edge from Horizon for $146! Got the corsair from Hobbyzone.com on clearance for $259! Fantastic planes.
                      On your Corsair, what are you using for the CG. The Staufenbiel manual says 90-95mm behind the leading edge, but the FMS manual on their website says 110. Set mine up at 100, and is probably a still a little nose heavy. Originally flew it at 90mm, but had to use too much up elevator on take-off to keep from grinding the prop down. You're right, the Edge is also an FMS, didn't even figure that out till you told me, but should have guessed.
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

On your Corsair, what are you using for the CG. The Staufenbiel manual says 90-95mm behind the leading edge, but the FMS manual on their website says 110. Set mine up at 100, and is probably a still a little nose heavy. Originally flew it at 90mm, but had to use too much up elevator on take-off to keep from grinding the prop down. You're right, the Edge is also an FMS, didn't even figure that out till you told me, but should have guessed.
                        I just drop in my 3000mah 4s packs all the way forward and it flies perfectly. I once tried to put a 4000 in her but the canopy wouldn't close properly. No worries though, I get 7 minute flights on 3000's.

Comment

• POTD, central time

Comment

I just drop in my 3000mah 4s packs all the way forward and it flies perfectly. I once tried to put a 4000 in her but the canopy wouldn't close properly. No worries though, I get 7 minute flights on 3000's.
                            Thanks CZ Flyer. Assume you mean forward on the tray and not "Down" the angled hole. Had to extend the tray aft cause 3/4 of the battery was just floating, putting all the weight on the forward part of the tray and not giving a consistent balance. The first photo shows the added tray, the second a 3200mah location at 95mm CG (blue line marking), and the 3rd at 100mm CG (red line). I do have an extra couple grams of weight behind the CG because of the sound transducers, so I may be aft of what you use. Is this similar to your location? I looked at the Corsair thread covering the CG location which was a bunch of mis-information. One guy even suggested that the difference in the posted CG of 90-95mm from the FMS manual at 110mm was because some models came with weights in the nose. Now I'm no brain surgeon, but a plane's correct CG is a mathematical calculation with the wings and fuselage. If someone puts a brick in the nose, it doesn't change the correct CG, it only means you have to put a brick in the tail to balance. Some were putting it at 110mm, but I don't have the balls to try that. Even the FMS manual, which states 110mm, if you look at the CG line compared to the wing panels, that's more like 90-95. I'm just very sensitive about the CG, as I have enough other issues to conquer when flying other than that. When I started several years ago, I didn't even know what the CG was, just stuck a battery in where it seemed to fit and away I went. Ignorance was bliss and I was lucky for the first 4 planes, then got the FMS Red Bull Edge, and fortunately had a veteran pilot maiden it. The battery location I used caused the balance to be at least 25-30mm back aft of where the correct CG was, making the plane almost impossible to take off with, flying to keep it level with almost full down elevator and landing near impossible. But boy could you hover with it! Every manual that talked about CG, I just ignored it (yes because I'm dumber than a brick) and assumed they put the battery tray in the right place. Ever since then, I've been ultra sensitive about CG.
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Arnold in the cockpit, with his goggles on. He might need a booster seat.

Comment

Thanks CZ Flyer. Assume you mean forward on the tray and not "Down" the angled hole. Had to extend the tray aft cause 3/4 of the battery was just floating, putting all the weight on the forward part of the tray and not giving a consistent balance. The first photo shows the added tray, the second a 3200mah location at 95mm CG (blue line marking), and the 3rd at 100mm CG (red line). I do have an extra couple grams of weight behind the CG because of the sound transducers, so I may be aft of what you use. Is this similar to your location? I looked at the Corsair thread covering the CG location which was a bunch of mis-information. One guy even suggested that the difference in the posted CG of 90-95mm from the FMS manual at 110mm was because some models came with weights in the nose. Now I'm no brain surgeon, but a plane's correct CG is a mathematical calculation with the wings and fuselage. If someone puts a brick in the nose, it doesn't change the correct CG, it only means you have to put a brick in the tail to balance. Some were putting it at 110mm, but I don't have the balls to try that. Even the FMS manual, which states 110mm, if you look at the CG line compared to the wing panels, that's more like 90-95. I'm just very sensitive about the CG, as I have enough other issues to conquer when flying other than that. When I started several years ago, I didn't even know what the CG was, just stuck a battery in where it seemed to fit and away I went. Ignorance was bliss and I was lucky for the first 4 planes, then got the FMS Red Bull Edge, and fortunately had a veteran pilot maiden it. The battery location I used caused the balance to be at least 25-30mm back aft of where the correct CG was, making the plane almost impossible to take off with, flying to keep it level with almost full down elevator and landing near impossible. But boy could you hover with it! Every manual that talked about CG, I just ignored it (yes because I'm dumber than a brick) and assumed they put the battery tray in the right place. Ever since then, I've been ultra sensitive about CG.
                                Yes I WAS saying I drop my 3000's down the slanted hole with no issues at all. I'll take a pic or 2 of mine & POST EM. No tray in my corsair. I fly the same 3000's in my Edge 540 with zero balance issues too. Only thing about the edge is with that symmetrical wing it floats & floats & floats tryin to land.

Comment

• here's what my RB corsair looked like right outta the box, and with a battery installed.

Comment

• I like that PC6, did a little bit of research and found several versions of it, and its on sale at vqwarbirds.com

Where did you buy yours? Is it all balsa?

Comment

• The PC-6 is primarily plywood with a balsa mix in less stressed areas. I’ve forgotten where I bought mine as it was purchased three years ago. The biggest issue I had was the stock tailwheel unit plus rudder linkages being too light, had to fabricate all new bellcranks from aluminum and fab a new tailwheel unit. The kit comes with several cheap plastic parts which I tossed and replaced with more suitable metal ones. It’s also a lil tricky getting the motor properly aligned to fit the cowl as their markings were a bit off. Not exactly an ARF for folks who have not built a model or two and expect it to just go together and survive typical stress involved with a plane of this size.
                                      Weighing in at 24 pounds landings need to be gentle

Comment

here's what my RB corsair looked like right outta the box, and with a battery installed.
                                        Makes sense, just checked my balance point with a 3200mah where yours is placed and for me it comes out around 88mm balanced (although I do have an additional approximately 4 oz of extra weight slightly aft of the CG in the sound card and 2 transducers). I've been flying it more like 95mm to maximum 100mm balancing out so the RB manual is probably more accurate at 90-95mm CG. Can't imagine flying it at the FMS manual CG of 110mm, and I'm not going to even fool with that. When I originally flew it with the battery all the way forward, I felt I had to give it too much up elevator on take-off to keep it level without grinding the props (which I did grind the props the first time, then the 2nd time I used too much up elevator on take-off which caused it to "jump" about 6 feet off the runway too soon from the prop thrust, only to come straight back down with no wing lift and crush my 1st set of retracts-replaced them and got her up again, only to have it nose over on landing with 1/2 flaps and crack the tail). Now with the battery at 95-100 balancing, take-offs (I never use flaps on take-off) are easier with about 1/4 or less up elevator. It still trims out with flying level with about 5mm up elevator, but seems to be relatively stable at that balance point.

Thanks for your help, god knows I can use all I can get.
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Makes sense, just checked my balance point with a 3200mah where yours is placed and for me it comes out around 88mm balanced (although I do have an additional approximately 4 oz of extra weight slightly aft of the CG in the sound card and 2 transducers). I've been flying it more like 95mm to maximum 100mm balancing out so the RB manual is probably more accurate at 90-95mm CG. Can't imagine flying it at the FMS manual CG of 110mm, and I'm not going to even fool with that. When I originally flew it with the battery all the way forward, I felt I had to give it too much up elevator on take-off to keep it level without grinding the props (which I did grind the props the first time, then the 2nd time I used too much up elevator on take-off which caused it to "jump" about 6 feet off the runway too soon from the prop thrust, only to come straight back down with no wing lift and crush my 1st set of retracts-replaced them and got her up again, only to have it nose over on landing with 1/2 flaps and crack the tail). Now with the battery at 95-100 balancing, take-offs (I never use flaps on take-off) are easier with about 1/4 or less up elevator. It still trims out with flying level with about 5mm up elevator, but seems to be relatively stable at that balance point.

Thanks for your help, god knows I can use all I can get.
                                          You're welcome! Yeah, I've belly flopped mine twice. After re-doing the retracts & gear doors twice I finally just removed the gear doors. Looks just as good in the air still. Here's the 2nd flight of mine.

Comment

Working...
                                          X