Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic tubs are beautiful, yes I absolutely agree, but they're also heavy, elaborate, and expensive to mold. Plastic molds, especially multi-part sprues as would be required for a cockpit tub, are expensive to produce, not to mention the labor of assembling, painting, and installation. I love the Eurofighter's plastic ejection seat and assorted plastic instrument panels. But there is a reason why that's the only full plastic tub Freewing ever made. The expense was prohibitive.

In a pinch, I will lay some blue painters tape on throughout the cockpit and paint it black. Or, cardstock paper, cut to shape then white-glued onto the upper surfaces such as the glare shield and seat, works great to resist bubbling. Even a thin layer of 20 minute epoxy works great and is easy to apply. I also cut a hole in the cockpit floor to keep it cooler and resist hazing.

When all else fails, I head for the shade or pull out a plane cover.

All this is discussing the canopy, but what happens with a model like the P-38 Allied Silver, which has large black anti-glare panels painted on? It's a fact that the real aircraft had them, so we weren't going to omit them from the model. It's just something we'll need to be cognizant of. We did use a matte finish "rubber black", which bubbles less quickly than gloss black.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• What, Am I on your ignore list?:rolleyes: In post #539 I mentioned the anti glare panels. Actually I'm trying to learn if there is a viable way to control this heat distortion as I too would love an all black night fighter.

Come to think of it please don't answer the question!:dodgy:

Comment

• You're not on my "Ignore" list, no one is. I don't read every single post in every single thread. You mentioned anti-glare panels, yes. I mentioned them as well. We used a matte finish which is marginally better than gloss black when it comes to how soon they'll bubble.

As far as a silver bullet anti-heat anti-UV non-bubbling solution for black paint on EPO foam, there's nothing out there yet. If/when that's invented, I'll join everyone else shouting it from the hills. I love a nice all black aircraft. But in EPO I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Comment

• I was funning. I know humor is a dangerous thing on the internet!

So we are of much the same mind on this. There is little or nothing to be gained with the use of polyurethane or Polyacrylic finishs with UV protectants when it comes to protecting the surface finish (texture) of EPO foam from infrared heat.

Comment

• Alpha,
            FMS sells a plane cover for some of their 1400 series planes. Is this something that might be an available accessory for the P38, or do you have a particular recommendation for a plane cover for the P38 that would be a bit more elegant than beach towels :)

Comment

• Originally posted by tdevince View Post
              a plane cover for the P38 that would be a bit more elegant than beach towels :)
              Here's a 'more elegant' proposal - I tried to use one of my sweetie's 1500 thread count bed linens for my LX B-25 but she would have nothing to do with that idea, maybe your other half will be a bit more accommodating ;)
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• This is why myself and all the fellas I fly with fly in the early am or mid to late afternoon...plenty of shade on one side of our cars to stage our planes in, plus all the local clubs have covered pit areas. We simply keep them In the shade.:) Not to mention the wind is calmer early and late. In my opinion the best time to fly.
                Big time propeller head
                Love flying scale and 3D
                Currently building a GP SE5A

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Here's a 'more elegant' proposal - I tried to use one of my sweetie's 1500 thread count bed linens for my LX B-25 but she would have nothing to do with that idea, maybe your other half will be a bit more accommodating ;)
                  I'm sorry to learn that is what you use your Sweetie's bed sheets for, regardless of the thread count!:angel:

Comment

• Now there is a comment that is worth a LMAO which I haven't used on this forum yet :D
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Konrad View Post

I'm sorry to learn that is what you use your Sweetie's bed sheets for, regardless of the thread count!:angel:
                      Good one Konrad!

Comment

• I'm not so good at being patient, thus the pre order. Any news on the delivery date? February is over now. 😁

Comment

• Ok...so with help I figured out how to post a pic before, but now that the software change has happened I can't do it again. Took a pic this morning with my phone to post and it won't upload to the forum either from the phone or from the laptop after I moved it there.
                          Big time propeller head
                          Love flying scale and 3D

Comment

• When you make a post ads, do you have this little camera icon?

Click on this, you get upload or select from photo?

Click on upload, I'm using a iPad, but you should get your directory? Is this any help?

Comment

• Just got my March Model Aviation magazine and was disappointed to see that Bajora's article is not in this one. I guess its the April issue that will feature it.

Comment

• The Flightline 1600mm P-38 is on the cover of next month's Model Aviation, with Bajora's article inside.

Comment

• It will be a good one....no doubt! ;)

Comment

• The Robart and Dubro wheel tests went well. Pay attention to these notes for those of you wanting to put larger wheels on your P-38s:

The Allied Green P-38 uses Robart 2.75" Diamond Treaded on the mains, and Robart 2.5" Diamond Treaded on the nose. Robart makes an excellent product, comprised of a rubber wheel, two inner hub sections, one outer hub cover (flat), and one outer hub cover (spoked), and a set of adapters for different axle thicknesses. I used the 4mm axle adapter. The only modification required is to drill out a hole in the spoked hub cap to allow the stock axle to poke through it. The stock wheel collar is then affixed over this. The pictures tell the story. As for spacers, the nose didn't require a spacer, but the mains benefited from a thin washer to prevent the wheel from rubbing against the strut. The strut angles were not modified in any way. No cutting to the aircraft's parts were done in any way. This is a 100% reversible condition and the stock wheels can be returned to the aircraft in seconds.

The Pacific Silver P-38 uses Dubro 3.00" Low Bounce on the mains, and Dubro 2.75" Low Bounce Treaded on the nose. Zero modification is needed to the shaft, strut, hub, or wheel. Everything fits, which was a surprise since I didn't anticipate the 3.00" wheel fitting the bay without any shimming of the retract. But, it does fit and works great.

The main point to consider with either of these wheel sets is the weight. While not major for the overall airplane, it's worth noting that all three stock wheels weight about the same as one Dubro 3.00" wheel. But, especially for those of you on taller grass fields, or wanting a closer-to-scale look, the results speak for themselves.

NOTE:
                                    The Allied Green P-38 and Pacific Silver P-38 in these photos both sport my personally applied detail treatments, and are not representative of what's in the PNP box. Rather, they show the potential of the aircraft for those who want to further detail their P-38 with hand painted accents, chalk, drybrushing, airbrush, etc. Read my earlier post which details what I did for the visual modifications. Out of the box you're about 99% of the way there. The white struts and hubs are the only thing which really stand out to me to be painted. The other "add-ons" like weathering the superchargers and other details is more based on personal taste.
                                    Last edited by Alpha; Feb 29, 2016, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Looks great Alpha! The list of mods is slowly building, I can't wait for this airplane to arrive!

Comment

• Nice DOF on those photos Alpha!;)

Comment

• Alpha...

I want to understand more about the two battery setup. I've read a bunch of suggestions on both forums that seem to imply that the batteries must me used only in this plane...essentially "matched". I have ordered two 2500 50c with the plane, and I already have four Thunder Power 70c 2700's I use in my 51" Slick...they have only been used in the Slick and one other 3D plane for a comparison test. They all have the same amount of charges/discharges on them. I intended to do the same with the two new Admirals when I'm not using them in the P-38. Is this a bad thing? Is there some reason I shouldn't use my TP's in the P-38? I'm starting to wonder if going the two battery route so I could use the batteries for something else besides the P-38 was a mistake...

Also...if this of any importance...I always balance charge my batteries at 1c and use them within 12 to 18 hours of charging, I only use them down to very close to storage charge (3.75 to 3.80v/cell), I then storage charge them until the next use. In other words...I take care of my Lipo's.

Thanks,

SM
                                          Big time propeller head
                                          Love flying scale and 3D

Comment

Working...
                                          X