Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hay SoonerNation. The size of invasion stripes for twin WWII planes was 24"s in width, so seeing that this plane is about 1/10th scale the stripes should be 2.4" or about 2 3/8". The upgrade landing gear are definitely worth the price, just get some Robart diamond tread tires and wheels to swap out for the white wheels that they come with. I went with Motion's Admiral 3600mah batteries. They fit fine. Also if you're going to use the prop decals and the small nomenclature, do you're self a favor and clearcoat the hole plane afterword with Krylon Colormaster Acrylic Cristal Clear in "Flat" finish. When it dries you won't even know it's there, but it adds a little protection to the stickers and the weight is very little.

Comment

• Soonernation, welcome to Hobbysquawk and the brotherhood of P-38 pilots. I second the advice from rzing. I'll be doing the invasion stipes on my silver one as well. It may not be historically accurate, but being able to keep orientation is a bit more important. No need to reach the airframe's "expiration date" prematurely.

As far as a receiver, if you are familiar with Spektrum, stick with it. I'm using an AR8000 in mine as I like to run differential on my ailerons for birds that don't have semetrical airfoil. This is a fairly hefty bird, and from what I've seen, a great flying bird. So I personally don't see any advantage to going with AS3X.

I'll be running 60C 3600mAh batteries in mine as they can be used for many of my other high performance birds.

Comment

• Thanks for the info. Plane is sitting in a box and I'm itching to get it together and in the air.

Comment

• Just got the MRC upgraded gear. The look great and have a nice preload for this bird. Well worth the modest price. Just need to paint the wheels. Another day or so to get the GeeBee E repairs finished and this on goes on the bench.

Comment

• Hi SoonerNation, great to have you on the Squawk.
            The boys absolutely love this bird as you can tell. receiver vary but I haven't heard of anyone having any problem with a specific one. If you run across any troubles in assembly, feel free to ask and there are also some great videos on the Motion R/C You Tube channel as well.

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• Just pulled the trigger on this beast and also added the upgraded gear as well :)

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                Just pulled the trigger on this beast and also added the upgraded gear as well :)
                Nice! You're going to love how this one flies :cool:.

Comment

• Will be settings up the FPV equipment at the end of January

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

Nice! You're going to love how this one flies :cool:.
                    Indeed I seen so many videos on it, I'm totally stoked!

Comment

• Here's our strut video Pilots!

Comment

• Great job on the video Ryan. I've had my upgraded straps here at home for a few months but have been hesitant to put them in because of concerns with the nose gear. Your video makes it very clear on what needs to be done and how.

Comment

• Bravo Ryan, One video worth about 682 posts. ;) Haven't put mine together yet, but now I may buy these and install. Thanks again and Happy New Year all! 682 toasts

Comment

• They are easy, I had to modify them to install in the P39, including cutting springs to change the loading. They are great!

Comment

• Great job Ryan, as stated, it's worth a thousand words, looks pretty straight forward.

Happy New Year!

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• Great vid Ryan. I'm not sweating the install at all now. Thanks!

Comment

• What I did with my nose gear was take the pin out of the strut then set the clip before putting it back together

Comment

• Originally posted by SoonerNation View Post
                                    Answers to two of your questions.
                                    1. Receivers: Any recommendations? All of my current planes have Spektrum stuff in them so I'm familiar with that brand. How about AS3X. Do I need it? I have some planes with and some without.

I fly a mix of Spektrum & Lemon receivers, the only problem I've had is with a Spektrum that experienced a brownout that cost me the plane (it was an F-86).

2. Batteries: Of all my planes & heli's, none are 4 cell so I will be in the market for new batteries. I read a mix of anywhere from 2500mAh to 3600maAh. What are the advantages to the lower v upper range in mAh?

I am using ADMIRAL 3600'S in my planes, they are a good balance between weight and capacity. I have other planes that also use 4 CELL so I standardized on this size.

I find the plane flies really well, no need for AS3X as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

• Got it at 2000, was together at 2130

Comment

• She's ready to fly!

Comment

• That was quick! She looks good.

Comment

Working...
                                          X