X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well done sir!
    Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
      Well done sir!
      Thanks, e4dragongunner! I'll post a few more in a couple weeks after I get the final graphics from Callie. That should pretty much complete this little project.

Comment

• Coming down the finish line with the rework of LOU IV/ ATHELENE. Today I decided to repaint the cowl because it looked too orangey than yellow. So, I found a spray can at Ace hardware, taped if off, and sprayed. I'm much happier with the way this looks now. This plane will be headed for a museum in England where this unit was based in WWII. I've just ordered a second E Flite -51 that I'll keep for myself and probably detail it up even more than I did this one. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0184.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	298759Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0183.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	298760

Comment

• Looks excellent! Great job on the mods and repaint. Love the weathering detail as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
            Looks excellent! Great job on the mods and repaint. Love the weathering detail as well!
            Thanks, F106 DeltaDart: I think I'm running out of things to do on this one before it eventually ships out to England. and the Bottisham Air Field Museum. I had used a rear view mirror that I got from the large Flightline Spitfire and mounted it centered on the windscreen above the pilot, but then I saw a photo of Click image for larger version

Name:	1024px-361fg-p51-E2.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	298767 Col. Christian's plane in flight, and the rear view mirror wasn't located in the usual spot that I was expecting it to be, but actually on the right front edge of the windscreen. Strange, but I moved it over to that position, based on that photo.

Comment

• Very nice work, ive ordered my first 1.5 Mustang and thinking about doing the sister plane Caroline or Jaspers Joker from 361st Fg

Comment

• Very cool! A few more airplane repaints and we'll have a whole squadron!

Comment

• Maidened flight today and WOW! What an amazing aircraft, the look and sound as just great. This is my first semi-large warbird, and I love it! This thing is dialed in ! Landings look so real. Now trying to decide to repaint it or not??

Comment

• Heres a scary thought, has anyone had the detachable wing break in mid-air? These tabs are worrying me about that, should i be?

Comment

• Originally posted by Williams_damien View Post
                      Heres a scary thought, has anyone had the detachable wing break in mid-air? These tabs are worrying me about that, should i be?
                      You'd have to put some significant rotational shears to those tabs, you're fretting over nothing
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Heres a scary thought, has anyone had the detachable wing break in mid-air? These tabs are worrying me about that, should i be?
                        I've got more than a couple dozen flights on my p-51 with no problems. I thought the clips might get weak over time but they haven't yet and i assemble / disassemble it every time it goes out to the field. If you are worried about it Horizon does offer replacements for like 10$. You could always pick up some of those and just change them every x amount of flights just for a piece of mind.

Comment

• I just did the maiden on my second EFlite P-51D. Same exact paint scheme as my first one seen in several pictures above. I'll post a couple I took this morning, the first ones I've taken of this model. The first model is winging its way (via FedEx) as I write this and should be at the 361st FG museum in Bottisham England next week.
                          One thing of note are the silver patch looking strips on the vertical fin and rudder. These are simulated strips of paint that were popped off along rivet lines, presumably when the airplane was stressed maneuvering on previous missions. I hadn't seen that before, but it was definitely on this aircraft and some others in the squadron. Click image for larger version  Name:	_CAM0746adjusted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.7 KB ID:	302763Click image for larger version  Name:	_CAM0747adjsuted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.1 KB ID:	302764Click image for larger version  Name:	_CAM0750 adjusted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.1 KB ID:	302765

Comment

• I have a question for you guys out there currently flying the EFlite P-51D regarding what flight control settings you use, and also expo settings. I maidened my second P-51 this morning, using the book settings from EFlite. I had mixed results, especially takeoffs and landings. On takeoffs the plane veered to the left, even as I was trying to give it enough right rudder to track the centerline. On landings, it seemed like maybe I need more expo or something, as I had too much movement of the elevator, causing the plane to float and then make a crummy landing. I don't seem to have this problem on my FMS 1500mm P-47, or the Flightline 63 inch Spitfire.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks,
                            davegee

Comment

• Veering to the left indicates torque steer and may be indicative of the plane leaving the ground too soon before adequate airspeed has been achieved so the rudder can overcome that torque steer. Landing can be tricky and vary from person to person depending on how much (if any) flaps are used. I generally have a fairly low rate that I flip the ELE to on final. I use expo in the 20% to 25% in all rates. How low is also dependent upon the user, so saying what mine is may not be of any help to you. Also sometimes, I'll land in SAFE while other times will be with just AS3X. Depending on the wind conditions, one may work better for landings than the other.
                              Since this P-51 is a different airplane than your FMS P-47 and FL Spit, a comparison of your experience of one to the others may not be significant.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                Veering to the left indicates torque steer and may be indicative of the plane leaving the ground too soon before adequate airspeed has been achieved so the rudder can overcome that torque steer. Landing can be tricky and vary from person to person depending on how much (if any) flaps are used. I generally have a fairly low rate that I flip the ELE to on final. I use expo in the 20% to 25% in all rates. How low is also dependent upon the user, so saying what mine is may not be of any help to you. Also sometimes, I'll land in SAFE while other times will be with just AS3X. Depending on the wind conditions, one may work better for landings than the other.
                                Since this P-51 is a different airplane than your FMS P-47 and FL Spit, a comparison of your experience of one to the others may not be significant.
                                Thanks, XViper. Those are good points. On all my other airplanes, I use higher expo values, similar to what you stated, versus the EFlite book values of 5-10%. I think next flight I'll up the expo a little to see if that might help.

I haven't tried landing in SAFE mode yet, I was thinking it was too restricting for flying due to its imposing limited bank angles for say, lining up for final. But I'll look into trying one just to see how it handles. Appreciate the info.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Thanks, XViper. Those are good points. On all my other airplanes, I use higher expo values, similar to what you stated, versus the EFlite book values of 5-10%. I think next flight I'll up the expo a little to see if that might help.

I haven't tried landing in SAFE mode yet, I was thinking it was too restricting for flying due to its imposing limited bank angles for say, lining up for final. But I'll look into trying one just to see how it handles. Appreciate the info.

Cheers

davegee
                                  The expo in the "book" is a recommendation only, as is CG. I consider those to be starting points, which can be lowered or increased as suits the end user's tastes. To me, 20% expo is fairly normal. High, to me, is up in the 25% to 35%, which I have on some of my planes.
                                  As with the low rates on ELE, I don't flip to SAFE for landing till I'm on straight final. In spite of this, even using SAFE before getting to the straight final, I'm thinking that banking more than the SAFE's 50 to 60 degrees is a bit severe. If you need to bank that harshly in preparation for the landing, you might want to give yourself more time and space to get the job done.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                    The expo in the "book" is a recommendation only, as is CG. I consider those to be starting points, which can be lowered or increased as suits the end user's tastes. To me, 20% expo is fairly normal. High, to me, is up in the 25% to 35%, which I have on some of my planes.
                                    As with the low rates on ELE, I don't flip to SAFE for landing till I'm on straight final. In spite of this, even using SAFE before getting to the straight final, I'm thinking that banking more than the SAFE's 50 to 60 degrees is a bit severe. If you need to bank that harshly in preparation for the landing, you might want to give yourself more time and space to get the job done.
                                    Thanks, XViper: I only fly warbirds, except for a Timber a buddy gave me just to have fun with. All my planes I try to fly in the same manner as the real ones did, as much as possible. In the pattern, I'm using around 25-30 degrees of bank, max, and if I'm really off target for landing, I go around and try for a better line up the next time. I've now put in 20% expo to the elevator, rudder and aileron and will give it another go next week. I checked all my other planes, and they are set up with around 20% expo, which I think is a comfortable level for me.

I mentioned that this is my second EFlite P-51. I flew the first one for a couple of months before deciding to donate it to a museum, a personal decision that I won't get in to. The second P-51 arrived before I shipped the first one on its way, and used the same settings in my radio. But I didn't have the experience with the first one as I'm getting with this new one where I must have been pulling too hard on the elevator, ballooned slightly, and it settled in for a fairly lousy 3 point landing, with some bounce. That's what made me think that with the same CG, somehow I need a little more expo at least in the elevator channel that might dampen out my over controlling the plane the last couple of feet to the ground on landing. I'll see how increasing the expo a little affects its performance.
                                    Appreciate your input.

davegee

Comment

• Well after 5 flights and 2 hair raising flights/take offs, shes going back to the hobby shop for an exchange or refund! Not sure whats wrong with it other than 1st 5 flights were great used safe mode all five times, 6 time the plane took off did a barrel roll and then went straight up, fortunately i got control of it pretty quickly saving the plane. Re-bound it does the same thing again! Now the POS wont even bind at all, first rc plane ive bought from hobby shop in years and its a POS!! THEY BETTER MAKE IT RIGHT! Ive ordered all my planes online til this one never had this happen

Comment

Well after 5 flights and 2 hair raising flights/take offs, shes going back to the hobby shop for an exchange or refund! Not sure whats wrong with it other than 1st 5 flights were great used safe mode all five times, 6 time the plane took off did a barrel roll and then went straight up, fortunately i got control of it pretty quickly saving the plane. Re-bound it does the same thing again! Now the POS wont even bind at all, first rc plane ive bought from hobby shop in years and its a POS!! THEY BETTER MAKE IT RIGHT! Ive ordered all my planes online til this one never had this happen
                                        Sorry that happened to you. I've been flying foamies for years but haven't had a bizarre set of events like what you experienced. Good work getting it back down on the ground in one piece! Hopefully you can work it out with the hobby shop where you bought it for an equitable solution.

Comment

• Yea, i hope so, youd think Maverick was flying on the take off, barrel rolled twenty feet from ground, gave every body at the park a thrill! Me cussing like a sailor going OMG! THERE GOES 500 BUCKS!!! But they tried re-binding it and i tried like 20 times to re-bind myself when i got it home....nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                          X