You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Nexa 1400mm DH.82 Tiger Moth Biplane - British Camo (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still pictures of Stan's NEXA 1400mm Tiger Moth!
    Attached Files

Comment

• i really like the yellow over my silver plane.. but mine flys the same as the yellow so guess ill keep it lol

Comment

• Can I get some help on what engine is good for the tiger moth?

The motionrc's website recommends NGH 17cc. However, I read a customer's feedback saying that engine is hard to fit in the space inside the cowl. Will a NGH 9cc do? or what is the best choice of mine?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Comment

• Finally got my yellow Moth into the air for the first time. What a lovely, well behaved airplane! Flies scale real well. Looks super on the low passes. I love it! I'm using electric. Not as cool sounding, but a lot less mess. 😉

Comment

• A little video from last weekend- please excuse the quality as my phone got a little funky for a bit. The wind was shifting from quartering to a full cross and gusting to maybe 25 kph. That landing at the end was supposed to be a touch and go I think but the airplane weathervaned suddenly so a landing it was!
            Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by miatateer View Post
              Finally got my yellow Moth into the air for the first time. What a lovely, well behaved airplane! Flies scale real well. Looks super on the low passes. I love it! I'm using electric. Not as cool sounding, but a lot less mess. 😉
              Congrats on the maiden! It is an easy model to love, isn't it?
              Tom

Comment

• I bought a Spitfire last December, it looks so cool, but I haven't flown RC for twenty years, so I decided a trainer biplane was needed to brighten up on my rusty flying skills. Why a biplane, well my the last plane I had made and flew was a scratch built 1/5 scale WACO-YMF3 golden age biplane with fabric skin, so I knew a few things about biplanes. The Tiger Moth was a really nice kit but not without it's weaknesses, such as the the landing gear spread and the tendencies of the hinges to pull out, I read about these potential issues and applied some old school remedies from my balsa building years. First thing was to use toothpicks to pin the hinges in place, second was to use thin piano wire to cross brace the landing gear. The piano wire was wrapped a few turns a the top of the gear and soldered in place then brought through down between the opposite main gear and brace, with a loop and a twist and a dob of solder. The tail control surfaces are huge on this airplane, it would be very easy to put too much throw in the elevator especially, I set three levels of control rates, high to keep the tail down for ground handling, mid for a responsive flying experience and low for easy flying. I did reinforced the tail wheel connection to the rudder, but now regret I just did not cut off the wire lever and put in a retaining collar and have a free wheeling tail wheel it would work just as well if not better.
                My maiden flight did not go as well as I had hoped with an imeadiate and sickening stall. My after crash investigation reveled that I had been too cavalier with my installation of the flight sabalizer. My first use of this type of device and I had not take the time to really understand how to install and test it's function. I had installed it backwards and caused a positive feedhback loop and just picking up the airplane and shaking it around is not a complete and suitable test, lessons learned. Despite the stall and nose dive the airplane held up remarkably well. The tail feathers needing the most work and new engine bulkheads made from 5mm ply. The cowling needed repair, using epoxy and light fiberglass this was accomplished. My 6S battery also needed to be replaced. I used a 6S to facilitate proper center of gravity and balances with a productive load, instead of dead balancing wieghts.. I estimated the 6S battery would simulate acutual wing loading conditions, the air plane balances right and provides 25 to 30 minutes of flight time. I first flew the Gypsy out of a soccer field with surounding trees and found out right away this not a suitable field for this airplane. I was under the impression this airplane was a school yard flier, not so! The airplane is much faster than I thought it would be. My WACO would fly slow and majestically with grace and beauty, while the Gypsy eats up the sky at a prodigious rate, a very surprising wake up call. I found a suitable flying field at the local Veterans park with lots of room and fescue grass so no problems getting up and down and the Gypsy, she is a great flier.
                Attached Files

Comment

• I just signed up to this forum.
                  I got the camo version last summer. Slightly challenging build but enjoyable just the same. I find this plane to be very trainer like. Ready to fly and great fun to show off slow roll skills. A good buy imo

Comment

• Morning all,
                    Just ordered the silver kit, I've built several different brands of ARF's, hoping this will be a good build, thinking of using a Rimfire 32, the spinner may be different but I'll come up with something.
                    For the tail feathers I'm going to use Hitec HS 645 MG's, hoping Hitec HS 82 MG's will fit the wings for the ailerons.
                    Battery will be 4000 4s because I have a few other planes I use them in.

Anybody have any input or recommendations on the equipment I'm planning on using,
                    I haven't read the thread yet but plan on it, that might fill in the info I'm looking for, but until the kit shows up I won't know for sure.

I settled on the Tiger Moth as that there aren't any JN-4's of this size on the market place.
                    I do have a Jenny, but it's the 28in wing Maxford, flies great but a bit tiny,,,,,,

Comment

• Morning once again, well this thread seems all but dead,
                      What I've gathered from the 6 pages of replies, it's a for sure electric kit, IC vibration kills the tail, speaking of which is a weak spot of the kit build.
                      Moving the tail wheel control from the rudder base to the control rod will help, so no extra load on the rudder frame other than flying control surface is needed.
                      Modify the front bulkhead to accommodate the battery being moved farther forward as balancing for CG to reduce the amount of dead weight needed.
                      ESC as far forward as possible along with moving the tail feather servos as far forward as possible, and last but not least, modify the undercarriage to help absorb landing impact.
                      there is more than one mention of covering issues,

Now having second thoughts of my purchase,,,,,,
                      before it even arrives,,,,,

Going to the RCG thread to see what they have to say about it before I call motion to cancel.

Comment

• After watching and reading the reviews on this kit I've decided to cancel my order for the kit,
                        Issues being the quality of the covering, the landing gear sub standard for the weight of the finished plane, the general over attention to detail in the instructions.

Comment

• My ARF came last week and I’m just starting the build. I noticed that I cannot get to 130mm mark when installing the Admiral GP5-770kV motor. What have others done to get a few more millimeters in length? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X