Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Rex: was this airplane scheme from a particular unit and pilot? I'd like to know more about that if you do know some on that model. Really looks great, and I'm sure you'll have a good maiden on it.

The NASM work will keep me pretty busy for the next year or so, probably longer. Not a whole lot to do at the moment as we're talking to 3D print fabricators on who would give us the best price and the highest quality models. I'm talking to four different companies at this point, and will make a decision who gets the contract by summer, hopefully. Can't remember if I told you but for the new WWII gallery, we are going to hang 18 1/72 scale B-17 printed models from the ceiling at various levels, the purpose being to show how the "combat box" worked to get the most protection from fighters and getting the bombs on target from a compact formation. I think it will be pretty cool, as well as all the other neat stuff that will be there.

My biggest part in this museum project is repurposing a 40 year old 1:15 scale space shuttle orbiter that will hang upside down from the ceiling with the payload bay doors open and the Hubble Space Telescope inside. That will be lots of work, and I have to cut out the payload bay doors from the fiberglass model. That will be probably one of the trickiest parts, and one that I must NOT screw up!

After this and all the other models and things I'm doing as part of this transformation of the museum, as they're calling it, I would love to add a F6F Hellcat into my fleet. They had a great FMS foamie that had a retractable tailwheel, as well many years ago. I flew the crap out of it until it couldn't fly anymore,. But I think it might have gone out of production, and is almost impossible to find. I might consider one of the NEXA models, but I would want to add on a scale retractable tailwheel too. The other plane I would love to do is a B-17G, especially if they come out with a new one that is even better scale that what I've seen so far. Not sure if it will happen, but I can dream about it, anyway!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Elbee,
      Thank you for the compliment, She is beautiful and has been supporting my aviation addiction for 40 years. My FW-190 looks very wicked in this paint scheme.

Davegee,
      My FW was flown by Hauptmann Wilhelm Moritz from Stab IV.(Sturm)/JG3, Memmingen, Germany, July 1944. These pilots flew into B-17/B-24 bomber swarms and got as close as they could before firing. It only took 3 hits from the 108mm cannons to bring down a B-17/B24. Most times they only had 30-40 planes against 700-800 bombers, must have been a horrifying feeling to see this and keep going up every day. They had to have ME-109 protection to keep allied fighters away. I have a BT 61 1/2" ME-109 semi-kit that I think I will build to go with this. The ME paint schemes of this unit have some sinister markings.
      Sounds like you will have a busy year or two with your NASM projects. If Elbee was a contractor he would be my first choice for the 3-d printing.
      Maybe FL will introduce a big 1600 Hellcat or better B-17. Hopefully they announce something soon.

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

• Ok guys, I am balancing my plane with the gear up, upside down. With my Admiral 5000 50c battery all the way forward it balances at 105mm perfectly. Is this a good starting point or what are your recommendations? Rex

Comment

• Originally posted by jetfool View Post
          Elbee,
          Thank you for the compliment, She is beautiful and has been supporting my aviation addiction for 40 years. My FW-190 looks very wicked in this paint scheme.

Davegee,
          My FW was flown by Hauptmann Wilhelm Moritz from Stab IV.(Sturm)/JG3, Memmingen, Germany, July 1944. These pilots flew into B-17/B-24 bomber swarms and got as close as they could before firing. It only took 3 hits from the 108mm cannons to bring down a B-17/B24. Most times they only had 30-40 planes against 700-800 bombers, must have been a horrifying feeling to see this and keep going up every day. They had to have ME-109 protection to keep allied fighters away. I have a BT 61 1/2" ME-109 semi-kit that I think I will build to go with this. The ME paint schemes of this unit have some sinister markings.
          Sounds like you will have a busy year or two with your NASM projects. If Elbee was a contractor he would be my first choice for the 3-d printing.
          Maybe FL will introduce a big 1600 Hellcat or better B-17. Hopefully they announce something soon.

Best Regards, Rex
          Have you heard some reliable info that a new plane is in the works from Flightline? I hadn't heard anytihing myself, other than wishful thinking by some. I hope they do come with something good soon, though!

Thanks for sending the background info on your plane, makes it more interesting to me assigning a particular marking and pilot to the airplane, for historical resasons.

Dave

Comment

• Dave,
            I also like researching the aircraft I model. I like to try and understand the man in each plane. Moritz was an accomplished pilot and had over 39 victories at the time of his death. Seems that a lot of the good leaders were lost because they led inexperienced pilots to try to bring them up to speed but overwhelming odds caught up with them.
            I had a phone conversation last week with Motion support tech, and I asked about a new warbird. He said FL had been working on a new plane for quite a while but didn't say when or what it was, He thought it might come out soon. We can only hope. He did say it would be better than their previous models.

Rex

Comment

• Hmmmm.... Interesting. Maybe we'll have a real humdinger new addition to the model fleet soon! We can only hope...

Neat that you also research the pilots who flew planes that you have replicated over your modeling career. I remember once I was doing a pilot figure for a friend. He actually knew this pilot in real life and wanted to get it just right to show him. I remember asking my friend "do you know if your friend is right or left handed? " He looked at me quizzically like I was crazy. I just replied that since we were going to have the pilot figure sitting in the cockpit with his oxygen mask unbuttoned and hanging off to the side of his helmet, that if he was Right handed, he would unfasten the mask with his Right hand and it would hang to his left. Conversely, if he was Left handed, he would most probably unfasten the mask from his helmet using his Left hand and it would hang to the right of his helmet. Seemed like a necessary minor point of detail to me, maybe he thought it was over the top, but that's ok. I found out the pilot was right handed and hung the mask accordingly! The point being, in my book, you seldom go TOO far in researching details that will make your model more accurate, even something as simple as how a oxygen mask should hang from a leather helmet in a cockpit.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

• I know, these aren't true replicas of the schemes they are copying. I obviously love the Fw 190 and hope to do a true replica some day. But some level of creative license will have to do for now. I really like the night fighter, I know the real ones didn't really have any markings, but I feel like an axis of evil plane should look a little evil. My poor Jewish wife has asked me a few times, wtf is with all the german planes? I actually have way more allied planes. I just happen to like all the variations of Focke Wulf planes. I really like the way they fly, though this one could be a bit faster. Cheers! Click image for larger version

Name:	20230526_172024.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	378293Click image for larger version

Name:	20230526_172505.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	378294Click image for larger version

Name:	20230526_171915.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	378295

Comment

• Your FW-190s look great.

Rex

Comment

• Thanks Rex, I would like to get to the point of making and using stencils. Decals work, but painted markings look authentic. And every time I visit flight museums or even some military planes currently flown, I get encouraged to paint more. I look forward to having more time in the future to devote to modeling, with equal time flying. I constantly feel that I can't get as much time as I'd like at either. I love this hobby, it just doesn't get old.

Comment

• Anyone damage theirs beyond repair? I’m looking to buy a functioning retract or two. Top dollar paid plus shipping!
                      Thanks
                      Eric

Comment

• Jump right in like I did on painting your stencils. Thanks to encouragement from Davegee and Elbee I completely repainted my Corsair and E-Flite FW-190 this winter. On the FW I masked and painted my stencils then weathered it with chalk per Davegee advice. I had never done this before but really like how it turned out. Used Callie’s decals on my Corsair but I made stencils for the Home and painted them

Comment

• Elbee
                          Elbee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          5 Stars, JF. Best, LB
                      Working...
                      X