Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait till you fly it you'll have a blast. I especially like doing touch & go's with mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by boomer108 View Post
      Wait till you fly it you'll have a blast. I especially like doing touch & go's with mine.
      I concur ;)
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Alas, Tucson has been having an unusual amount of wind lately, so not much flying the last couple of weeks. :(

Comment

• Dang that's a bummer man :(

Comment

• The rigging is done, and I'm very pleased with it. The tail rigging is elastic cord from the fabric store, threaded through small holes punched in the rudder and horizontal stabilizers, and secured at the bottom in small holes poked in the fuselage. Where the cord passes through the surfaces, I added a drop of flexible CA to secure it.

The wing riggings are made of small wire actuator or control cables of some sort that I found in a surplus many years ago, and thought they looked useful. They've been sitting around ever since, and they struck me as the perfect thing to make the riggings. The springs are from Ace Hardware, and I used photos of real Waco YMF-5D's from the Waco Aircraft Company website for placement. About the only thing missing are the two short lines that stretch from right in front of the foreward cockpit to the upper wing, and those would be problematic with that portion of the model being the battery hatch.

My pilot is still incognito until the decorating is completed, and the plane is ready for the full reveal.

Comment

• Wow! That looks great!

Comment

• Woah! Great job on the cables. :Cool:

Comment

• I'm glad I wasn't working on a model of the J-1. Dang, looking at photos of those, I'd need about two weeks just to work on the rigging alone!

Comment

• Absolutely a stunning job Hoomi! That looks fantastic! :Cool:

Comment

• Looks great Hoomi!:Cool:

Comment

• My custom decals are on order from Callie, so that should be the last bit I need for the Waco.

Comment

• Hoomi, what kind of decals are you putting on?
                          Still Learning:D

Comment

• Hey guys, I've been slack here, but have been a little busy lately and sad to say as excited as I was to get me a Waco, it's still sitting in the box. My question really is, is there anything special I need to know or do before I get build this plane? All I've heard is how great it is and will be using a 4s 3000 battery.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                              Hey guys, I've been slack here, but have been a little busy lately and sad to say as excited as I was to get me a Waco, it's still sitting in the box. My question really is, is there anything special I need to know or do before I get build this plane? All I've heard is how great it is and will be using a 4s 3000 battery.
                              Only thing that I would recommend is that the cooling of the motor/ESC is problematic.
                              I cut the webbing between the two bottom faux cylinders which allows airflow directly into the bottom channel in the fuselage where the ESC is located.
                              No over heat issue since the easy mod which has been better than 4 years now.;)
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                                Hoomi, what kind of decals are you putting on?
                                That'll be revealed when it's all finished. ;)

As I've mentioned a couple of times on this topic, the instructions for the Dynam Waco leave a lot to be desired. I found it very useful to go over to YouTube and watch a couple of build videos. The two-part build video from RCPlaneviews.com over on YouTube were pretty decent.

Comment

• Beautiful work there, Hoomi! Looks fantastic... can't wait for those shots in flight.
                                  We've been getting those winds over here in the east valley as well. Totally blows (pun intended), but can find a few good hours throughout the day to sneak in a flight or two. The UAV Forecast app is great for keeping an eye on the winds by the hour, at ground level as well as at higher altitudes. I've been using the hell outta that app these passed few weeks.
                                  Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• The decals from Callie arrived today, and look fantastic on the Waco. A couple more minor details, and I'll be ready to post the finished photos, and take her out for a maiden flight.

I should practice with the taildraggers a bit more on Realflight before then. This will be my first experience flying a taildragger in real life, and after as much work as I put into this, I don't want to mess it up on the first flight.

Comment

• I look forward to seeing it Hoomi

Comment

• And here she is - Air Hooterville, with your pilot, Arnold Ziffel.

If it confuses you a bit, you're probably a bit too young to get the reference.

The "Air Hooterville" and plane numbers are from Callie's Custom, while my better half made the flying pig decals on her Cricut. The pilot name (with my AMA number, since many clubs like the AMA number on the plane some place), was done on a basic Brother P-touch label maker.

Bonus points for anyone who gets the significance of the plane number.

The inspiration for the design grew out of discussion with a coworker on different amusing pilots I could put in the plane. Snoopy is always fun, but between this not being a Sopwith Camel, and that others have done it, I passed on that idea. Muttley, from the "Dick Dastardly" cartoons, would have been fun as well, but finding a workable figure from that old a cartoon wouldn't be real easy. We then joked about "when pigs fly," which led to some bantering back and forth, until I hit on the idea of Arnold Ziffel. Since Arnold was never a real large pig in the series, the smaller figure from the toy section works. His goggles (which I need to get a better photo of) are made of double-layered heat-shrinkable tubing and flat black lacing, while his scarf is simple white ribbon.

This has been one heck of a fun project, and I'm looking forward to a chance to get Air Hooterville airborn for her maiden flight.

Comment

• Green Acres ran from 1965 till 1971.

I love it, Ziffel was awesome:Cool:

I have Lisa in mine...;)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Waco_iOS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	263.0 KB ID:	135594
                                          TiredIron Aviation
                                          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Working...
                                          X