Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me too, I built many of the plastic version years ago and now I can fly it. :)
    AMA 424553

Comment

• Alpha beta testing...he-he. I too was a model builder kid. To actually fly those shelf bound aircraft not in my imagination but to have them airborne is a thrill that will never get old. The widow and marauder were my favorite allied ww2 twins. One in the air,one on the way. Thanks alpha for giving us these airworthy aircraft. ( supersabre ,F8 crusader tops on my jet list. One in the air, one on the way?).
      Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by RRHandy View Post
        Me too, I built many of the plastic version years ago and now I can fly it. :)
        I have one still in the box in my model "archive"...I just don't build anything I can't fly anymore ;)
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

I have one still in the box in my model "archive"...I just don't build anything I can't fly anymore ;)
          Same here, I've had it since the seventies. The flyable version will be tempting.

Comment

• I am almost ashamed to admit it, but almost proud too!! LOL I think I have almost every plastic 1/48 scale model plane from Revell and Monogram that they made in the 80's...... Why not???? LOL All in the box too. After you fly them, why waste space on the shelf! HAA!

Comment

• I will purchase after the changes Motion insisted. I had rather wait and purchase a quality product as opposed to having to made many changes to get the model flight ready. I have many Dynam planes and know what to expect. I already have three sets of twins. I will look for the pre-order announcement.

Comment

• I'm on a train between factories at the moment. I'm waiting on confirmation from Dynam which of my Edits will be implemented.

It is worth emphasizing that the Editing process is a normal behind-the-scenes procedure. We went through several iterations of the Freewing A-4 and A-10, for example. With any/every new aircraft, we build in Editing time into our production timelines. It just so happens that Dynam shipped a pre-edit batch of P-61s to other sellers, which is why we're talking about this topic publicly, but the principle of going through a series of edits with a prototype isn't at all out of the ordinary. I must give credit to all factories that take input and incorporate it into the products they ship to Motion RC.
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• just saw photos of the Dynam plane on rcgroups... the dogs are barkin... ruff ruff.... unless Alpha is able to get them to make a lot of changes..looks like I'll be holding out for the next company to try the BW
                  www.TSHobbies.com
                  Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• Just give me the foam baby!
                    TiredIron Aviation
                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TSHobbies View Post
                      just saw photos of the Dynam plane on rcgroups... the dogs are barkin... ruff ruff.... unless Alpha is able to get them to make a lot of changes..looks like I'll be holding out for the next company to try the BW
                      Same for me. Hopefully Alpha can get an improved plane for us. Not impressed with the pictures. I have limited time to devote to mods, unfortunately.

Bob

Comment

• I'm still hoping that Motion develops their own P-61. Imagine a Black Widow from Flight Line. Look at the P-38 or the Tigercat both are great looking and flying models at a reasonable cost. I was also not really impressed with the posted pictures of the Dynam P-61. Yes, it is a starting point but overall, not sure it was worth all the hype.

Comment

• Full discretion, I have not yet confirmed with Dynam which of my edits will be implemented on their 1500mm P-61 Black Widow. That will happen later this month. For those who purchased the pre-edit version from European and Asian sources and have begun taking delivery in November 2017, you'll likely find the same issues/quirks I found when first evaluating the prototype. Frankly and fairly, I still consider that version to be a "pre-production prototype", as far as Motion RC is concerned, which is why we did not purchase it and will not until we are satisfied with the final production version. I will also restate that Motion RC was not aware that Dynam had shipped pre-edit units to other resellers (otherwise I would have said something). I'm posting this really just to help those who received early units, none of whom ordered it from Motion RC. Nevertheless, we're all RC hobbyists so I'm hopeful some may find use of the information I'm providing below. I want to emphasize that my sample did fly, out-of-the-box. My list of edits provided to Dynam was to make it fly better and improve the overall customer experience.

As with any pre-production prototype, where a model is struck from a newly made mold, we evaluate for conditions across several categories before green-lighting mass production. I've arranged my notes here. For those early adopters mentioned above, scanning this list you'll see obvious QC issues and Structural issues. QC issues are mostly cosmetic, and are generally controlled at the factory once the assembly teams and QC teams are trained with myself present. The larger Structural issues require edits to the molds themselves.

On a final note, this list below is not comprehensive. Certain aspects were omitted in fairness to Dynam, because as a product developer I recognize that most issues will be dealt with when the normal full production run begins, from which Motion RC will receive our inventory. If any of you who bought the early version are unhappy with the finish of what you received, I would encourage you to contact the vendor from whom you purchased the product, and politely encourage your vendor to personally evaluate the products they sell before selling them to their customers. This practice will improve the service we as hobbyists expect from our preferred vendors. I always welcome more voices at the reseller level to keep manufacturers accountable.

Things to look out for on a Dynam 1500mm P-61 delivered before ~1/1/2018, based on my pre-production sample #00001 evaluated early 9/2017:

QC, General
                          1. Paint type. The paint was thin in certain areas. It was also a different type of black paint, with a different heating pattern than other Dynam blacks we evaluated.
                          2. Painter QC. There were several areas that weren't painted black, mostly the nooks in between control surfaces, and the flat area behind the nose cone. The nose cone itself covers that area once mounted, but there are slivers of white foam visible in between the seams. I requested that Dynam shoot those hidden areas more consistently.
                          3. Painted areas. I observed that the black plastic parts (wheel covers, intakes, etc) are gloss black, whereas the foam painted areas are dull black. I requested a uniform dull black on all surfaces, whether plastic or foam. Now, the canopy framing would require a very complex external paint mold, so Dynam may leave that as it is. After all, Dynam's primary market/price point isn't intended for super-scale out of the box.
                          4. Decal color. Again, not the end of the world, but the insignia blue and flesh tone were two colors I provided new Pantones for to bring them closer to period scale.
                          5. Pilot figures. The pilot figures were too tall to fit under the canopy without trimming below the neck.
                          6. Glue covering certain holes. When pre-fitting your model's wings, verify that the screws thread fully into the plastic receiver plates. One of mine had hot glue blocking the hole. A lighter-heated paper clip pushed through the hot glue was a simple, easy fix.
                          7. Dummy engine cowl. Check the gap between the motor shaft and the plastic dummy engine cowl. Ensure nothing binds. Trim if necessary. We had the same issue on the B-26 which we caught in the pre-production sample, and ended up creating a new die to widen the hole in the cowl.
                          8. Yes, the wheels are reused from the Dynam B-26. Making a new mold wasn't in their budget. Replace with Dubros.
                          9. Prop nuts. The prop nuts are counter-threaded, so they are side specific. Unlike the B-26, though, the P-61's prop spinner backplates make it difficult to hold the motor in place while you tighten the internal nut. Use pliers on the nut, jam something to keep the motor from spinning, and tighten as much as possible. My original props are still on it after 200+ flights.
                          10. Overall QC. Having evaluated over 50 "pre-production samples" for various manufacturers, the QC on my sample wasn't great, wasn't horrible, wasn't surprising. Leaky glue, unfinished paint, gaps in assembly, misaligned magnets or insufficient glue, etc. At this phase, the production teams usually aren't fully trained yet to focus on key areas that the vendors (in this case, Motion RC) designate as important. I fully expect many of the minor QC quirks to be ironed out on our final production. I'll personally be at the factory during this time, consulting directly with their production management team.
                          Structural:
                          1. Boom-to-wing Fit. The male end (Boom side) leaves very little internal space for slack from the rudder/elevator servo wires and connectors. Trimming the flat end foam is an easy option.
                          2. Boom rigidity. I flew the model with the stock configuration, which uses two screws per boom. It flew fine, but there was at times too much flex in the rear boom section (to which the elevator is mounted) for my liking, especially during high speed descending banked turns. Ultimately I filled the boom mounting points with Beacon. Epoxy would do fine, as well. This greatly stiffened up the booms and improved the model's predictability.
                          3. Outer wing rigidity. Dynam recreated the scale anhedral in the outer wings. This makes for a bird with a slow, scale roll rate. While I've logged 200+ flights on the sample without issues with the stock configuration wing panels (two screws), I can imagine some pilots may opt to glue the outer wing panels on for good. This wouldn't be a bad thing and would only help stiffen up the entire experience.
                          4. Lucky Number 14. This one is important! The wiring was a sizeable rat's nest. Understandable, since there are so many servos and lighting wires, crammed into a narrow fuselage. Dynam doesn't use central circuit boards like Freewing/FlightLine models. Some people prefer using Y-connectors instead, but in Dynam's case, that makes for lots of Y-connectors and an unavoidable mass of wiring. Here is the solution I proposed for Dynam to execute with the final production version. Of all the things above, this one will actually give you a model in which you can fit the battery (i.e. essential), so I'd count this mod as Necessary and Important for all you early adopters.
                          The sample had wiring that looked like this:
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170915_160241.jpg Views:	1 Size:	104.3 KB ID:	103117

I instructed Dynam to modify the mold to remove foam in the main fuse, and by cutting the red line on the underside of the main wing saddle and removing that extraneous cover. You want the wires to exit the wing at the red dashed line, not ahead of those forward wing screws.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170916_165326.jpg Views:	2 Size:	156.7 KB ID:	103120Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170916_141750.jpg Views:	1 Size:	135.9 KB ID:	103118

Doing the above cuts, which takes a matter of seconds, now allows most of the wires' Y-connectors to be stuffed into the hollow fuselage near the CG:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170916_171911.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.0 KB ID:	103121

In doing so, greatly reducing the wires in the battery bay. Much better!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170916_172246.jpg Views:	1 Size:	117.5 KB ID:	103122

For ailerons, I'm at 100%, Elevator at 80%, Rudder at 50%. It's quite a cruiser, flies a lot like the B-26. Same motors and props. 4s 4000, long flight time like the B-26. Slow roll, doesn't need a lot of elevator, easy to land without flaps, little to no mixing. Beware the sun and disorientation of this black bird.

I hope this helps you early adopters!

As for potential customers waiting for Motion RC's version, thank you for your patience and we'll circle back when it's ready and confirm what has been implemented on the version we will be stocking.
                          Attached Files
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Thanks for the informative update, Alpha! I can wait until the Motion planes are ready.

Bob

Comment

• glad you guys are on the job..wouldn't it be cool to tag along alpha in his China visits! might feel like Gen MacArthur making 'requests' lol
                              www.TSHobbies.com
                              Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• He is definitely working for our benefit. I still wonder when he ever sleeps... LOL

Comment

• Thanks Alpha Motion for that informative piece. I'm picking mine up on Thursday (9th November) so I will definitely look at those points as mine is going to be the V1 version. Out of general interest my local airport (Hurn as it was called then) was host to 2 Squadrons of P61's during the second WW. There are lots of photos of them when they were here. At the time the airport was built (1942) had the longest concrete runway in Europe so we accommodated heavy planes, the P61 being considered to heavy for our regular grass fields.

Comment

• Howdy Sharpy!!! Welcome to the Squawk... Glad you are here!!!! Jerry

Comment

• Hello Alpha,
                                      Your dedication to this hobby from a business aspect is exemplary.............KUDOS.
                                      From your very first statement of "full discretion" throughout the detailed documentation of your notes (which where reminiscent of my days as a Procurement professional doing FAI's (First Article Inspection)) just so both the Motion and non MRC(possibly soon to be) customers would have a higher level of insight of what to expect of this product is most likely a first in the RC industry.
                                      The time that you expended just writing this piece was way above and beyond the expectation of your already tiring schedule.
                                      GOOD JOB :Cool:

Best regards,
                                      Warbird Charlie
                                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thanks for another look behind the curtain( oh great and powerful oz). For those of us who remember the dark age of foamies (BH,HK non-customer service, Underpowered planes that you had to replace all the electronics to make flyable, folding wings not made to fold.) Its so great to have a true hobbyist pulling levers and pushing buttons behind the curtain. If i only had a br........P61. Glad to hear it flys like the marauder ,really like the way it flys. The long flight time was a real suprise. After xmas arrival meens my wife should be the good witch. Win-win. Wait for better product. No "I'll get you my pretty....and your little plane too.)
                                        Still flying P.15, avanti(#2), mig 21, yak 130 70mm(#2), f35, f9f panther, a10 64mm, F8 crusader/ PA ultimate amr /HK skipper, durafly dh vampire, p 51,spit mk24, corsair, flybeam/ BH f86 50mm, deltawing 50mm/ HH su 26 mm,umx pitts,umx sbach, blade nano cp s,blade 450x, inductrix 200, inductrix pro, umx yak 54,umx f27 fpv/ electrifly 4s L39/ flyzone beaver/ volantix asw 28, /dynam B26

RIP.. roc hobby waco,strega #2(you will be missed), Fw 90mm eurofighter.

Comment

• Thank you very much Alpha for your update, its really fun to see the details. As I suspected, its very similar to the B26 in size, motors, props, wheels, battery, and flying style - and I know that I'm going to love it. Thank you for taking the time to do what you do. Its way beyond what other companies do, really no comparison. Go MRC! I love your comment on QC#8 (yes, <sigh>, was that for me?) - no worries at all. Anticipating this beautiful black badass airplane being added to my fleet is making me moist. (when it comes in, I'll have to stare at it all winter waiting for flying season to begin...)

Click image for larger version  Name:	fark__O8nk87r5ri_5HM1xkBGFIBDh2A.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.4 KB ID:	103203 .
                                          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Working...
                                          X