First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Guys :)
    i am hoping to get some flight footage up soon:Cool:

Comment

• I have many flights on my P-38 now using 4500mAh batteries. While heavy the Lightning handles them well. Just don’t stall it or you’d better have 150ft to recover. I love the speed and looks of this plane, it’s awesome!
      I was flying with a friend several months back and with all that open space, wouldn’t ya know it..., midair. He pulled right up in front of me. The left boom of the Lightning went through his micro P-51D at around 80mph and the Mustang just blew up*** The Lightning lurched left and almost rolled over as I kicked full right with both rudder and aileron. For 20 seconds or so I thought it was gonna be all over as something was pulling her hard left. I made a really wide turn right as I figured any left turn would produce a roll and spin into a possibly dead fan. As she came over we could see the left fin and rudder were torn off and flapping wildly hanging on by the Servo lead. I gained some altitude and making right turns only discovered that slowing her down did not produce favorable results. I set up a long approach with no flap and came in fast, lots of cross control on this one. Due to speed I set down mid runway and over ran the end rolling down a slight drainage grade coming up the other side the gear collapsed. No surprise but at least she was down in one piece and easily repairable. The Mustang... not so much! I was super fortunate the left prop did not break or that would have been it.
      Had her fixed in two days and many flights since then.

Bob

Comment

• The old adage, never stop flying...well done!!

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• SWEET. :Cool: :Cool:

Woody

Comment

• Too P-38 or not to P-38?
            The P-38 has always been one of my favorite planes. I have been flying for 3.5 years or so, all tail dragger's. Do you think i would be better off flying at T-28 1400mm to get in too tricycle landing gear first? Also I have read most of RC Groups fourm and here, with all the mod everyone is doing to the plane i was thinking that a tigercat with new ole strut and propellers might be a better start for me. The Tigercat's lookes are growing on me more and more, or wait to see if FL has a V2 coming of the P-38. Thank you for thoughts and happy new year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikecl View Post
              Too P-38 or not to P-38?
              The P-38 has always been one of my favorite planes. I have been flying for 3.5 years or so, all tail dragger's. Do you think i would be better off flying at T-28 1400mm to get in too tricycle landing gear first? Also I have read most of RC Groups fourm and here, with all the mod everyone is doing to the plane i was thinking that a tigercat with new ole strut and propellers might be a better start for me. The Tigercat's lookes are growing on me more and more, or wait to see if FL has a V2 coming of the P-38. Thank you for thoughts and happy new year.
              I own both and the Tiger Cat is hands down easier to fly. It's a large wing area and a very forgiving CG. Tricycle gear shouldn't even be a concern if you're flying tail draggers. Buy the Tiger and fly it. It's fine with no mods. My only mods were cosmetic and battery placement.

Comment

• Go with the Tigercat
                As Phatbob says, he’s right on.
                Both mine have gear and motor upgrades. The Lightning is faster and lands that way, fast. The Tigercat is a *****cat by comparison. The Lightning is also unforgivable when stalled, only altitude will save it in a full stall.

Bob

Comment

• I started with the P-38, before the Tigercat was released. The P-38 was my step-up from 1.1m taildraggers. I was incredibly nervous on the maiden flight, but have found the P-38 incredibly easy to fly. It remains one of my very favorite planes. When the Tigercat came out and I heard that it was a 'tame' P-38, I had no interest in it. I'd suggest that if you love P-38s (as I do) and already have low-wing, high-wing-loaded planes, don't be afraid of the P-38. It's a wonderful plane.
                  ---
                  Warbirder

Comment

• One issue the Tigercat has that the Lightning does not Is wallering. The P-38 is very streamlined with small fins. It cuts through the air and wind pretty effortlessly. The Tigercat wallers in wind most likely from both the nacelles and tall fin being played upon by the air. I can fly the Lightning in any reasonable conditions but don’t like the Cat in the wind.

Of of all my airplanes, the Lightning is my personal favorite for speed in a warbird. The 1600mm Spitfire is my favorite cruiser. The big CZ T-28 my favorite low level aerobatic bird.

Like Ox said, go for the Lightning. You’ll be fine

Comment

• At 8 lbs, it's a bit heavy for this size class. So, you have to keep the speed up. On windy days that'd keep most of my planes grounded, this P-38 is my go-to plane.
                      ---
                      Warbirder

Comment

• I've had the P-38 since it first came out, and I have to say it is my favorite plane to fly. At the club field, I will get pilots asking me when am I going to fly the 38 again, because they want to see me fly it once more before they leave. I'll have my P-51, F-86 and A-10 with me 95% of the time, but it's the 38 they want to see fly again. On occasion, they will ask about the FW A-10, "When you taking her up again?" But most the time, it's the 38. I have to admit I have more stick time on the 38, and with the sport power upgrade, I do like to push the limits of her, and lots of fast/power aerobatics with it. Thinking that has some influence on wanting to see me fly it. And if the wind picks up...yep, I'll take the 38 up with confidence.
                        Attached Files
                        Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                        Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Too P-38 or not to P-38?
                          Get the P-38 great flying air-frame and just a great looking fighter. IMO better looking than the Tigercat.

Mike
                          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Too P-38 or not to P-38?
                            My vote is the P-38, don't have any flight experience with it yet however due own one and am working toward flying it. I raced 1/10 and 1/8th scale off road trucks for about 19 years then completely got out of the hobby for about 5 years seeing flight videos of the P-38 earlier this years drew me back in that and reading this forum. So in May I started flying a Cub and have worked my way up to being pretty comfortable with the E-Flite 1.2m T-28. My goal is to be flying the P-38 this spring. I guess my point is if the P-38 has always been one of your favorite planes go for it. I know I have had a blast preparing to fly mine.

Comment

• I can't speak for the P-38, but I love my Tigercat, she was my first twin/ tricycle geared airplane and I was nervous on maiden as well. She flew great once I got the flaps up. Landed the first time without any flaps and got rid of the Elevator/Flap mix and flew her again, tuned out she only needed a small amount of mix with full deployment. She's a great pattern plane and will roll effortlessly, a little underpowered for loops IMO. Landing is beautiful if you apply the same method as any other warbird, keep the fuse level and control the descent with throttle. Just before touchdown, raise the nose and pluck she's down with no trouble.
                              I can believe the P-38 is a better performer as I've seen Lon fly his as well as Ryan, both at Nefi, but it depends on what you're after. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong.
                              BTW, calling the Tigercat, not pretty' is like saying my wife is uglyLOL

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• I think both are awesome planes. But I will say my ex-wife is ugly as hell. Lol

Comment

• Yea the prettu ones always attract to much attention and trouble LOL.
                                  Dewey l

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                    I think both are awesome planes. But I will say my ex-wife is ugly as hell. Lol
                                    I guess no chance for reconciliation there, Huh?

LoL

Comment

• Both are fantastic planes from FL. Tiger cat is definitely the softer to fly, P38 has
                                      much more authority in the air, keep the speed upon turns and for landing. Both great to fly, P38 certainly handles the wind better. Had six flights of tiger cars with Wes last Sunday, both looked fantastic flying in formation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post

I guess no chance for reconciliation there, Huh?

LoL
                                        Well he didn't technically say he didn't like her just saying LOL

Comment

• There isn't enough t-bones in the world... the dogs would be upset for ruining the meat. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                          X