X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Dynam 1270mm F4U Corsair Thread

Motion RC is pleased to announce the release of the Dynam 1270mm F4U Corsair. This is the official message thread to post photos, videos, flight reviews and any questions about this iconic aircraft.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Greetings from the Pacific NW,

Received my new Dynam F4U Corsair today. Will be building today as well. When I unboxed the Corsair, I was very impressed. It it much improved vs the one I bought 3 years ago from NP. This is my third Corsair, my second Dynam Corsair. My first one I crashed due to inexperience, My 1400mm FMS Corsair crashed due to a TX malfunction. So I'm going to give it one more try. As they say, 3 strikes and your out. The Dynam Corsair as I said is much improved. Sturdier air frame, upgraded motor design was the first things I noticed. Because of the dark blue paint scheme on top and bottom of aircraft, orientation can be a problem while flying. So I researched some authentic paint schemes to see if there was any help in this area. I found one that I like and I'm going for it with a little custom paint trimming to. I like to keep things simple so pics are coming.  I think everybody will be surprised. I hope all will go well so wish me luck.

Special thank you to MRC for there fast shipping, and carrying quality products. My Corsair arrived undamaged and well packed. Thank you for being a TOP PROVIDER in the RC world. Will post pics and videos of the the finished Corsair and the maiden flight. Happy Landings from the Pacific NW. 
    Pacific NW Flyer  :arrow:

Comment

RE: Dynam F4U Corsair

You'll like it a bunch.... My son has one and if flies beautifully!
      Lauren

Comment

I hope this time rewards you with success. I don't have the dynam corsair but it's on my list if I have to replace my Pz or Flyzone corsair. I love the gull wing look in the air. For me the big challenge with them is landings. They require a little speed all the way to touch down or they'll drop a wing tip. Cross wind landings are also tough it will want to lift the wind side tip more than other wing types. That being said I won't be without one in my hanger. I Love them. Again I wish you the best of luck.

Comment

This is also on my list. But I'm torn between the Dynam corsair and the FMS. I'll be watching for your review and the paint scheme you go with.
          Hope you have better luck with this one!

Comment

Well a rare 2 days off in a row, and normal Pacific NW weather for this time of year. (RAIN) Gave me a chance to getter done. I'm very PLEASED  :D  The white bottom should help with orientation and its authentic.  Now all I need a a sunny day.

I chose the Dynam Corsair over the FMS Corsair for 2 reasons. I was not impressed with the landing gear doors on the FMS plane. Every time I landed a little hard a gear door would pop out of its pivot point. I dont know if it was just me or the plain, but I was always fiddling with them. The Dynam plain dont have gear doors, I like this. Second the landing gear struts on the Dynam bird will except FMS P51 shock absorbing struts. The wire on the Dynam bird is 4 mm thick, Just cut them off leaving a stub, grind a flat spot on the stub sticking out of the retract. Then simply slide on the P51 strut and lock it down. TA DA!! Rotating shock absorbing struts and of course, 2 3/4 DAVE BROWN shock absorbing tires will top my Dynam Corsair off. At the moment this is all theory, and appears plausible. Going to try it as soon as my new dremel cut off wheel arrives. Still have the retracts from my first Dynam Corsair and will be experimenting with those ones. Will keep u informed.   :cool:
            Attached Files

Comment

That looks great Fly Boy!!
              You've got me leaning towards the Dynam Corsair now. Cant wait for your sunny day to get a flight report!

Comment

The white really sets it off. Where did you get the graphics for the cowl and fuse? I'm also waiting to see the gear mod when you get done. The suspension struts would be nice.

Comment

Sweet looking plane!!!! I don't have one of these but I've flown my son's plane several times. It's a really nice package. Flies great!
                  Lauren

Comment

Thank you, Thank you very much  ;)

When I ordered the Dynam Corsair I also ordered the FMS Corsair 1400mm graphics. The FMS 301 graphic look I like much better than the number 5 graphics. There also bigger and stand out better. I did mix it up a little and applied the Dynam Navy graphic on the bottom wing.  The cowling is covered in checker board mono cote with sticky backing from your local hobby store, and the yellow trim on the cowling is testers model paint. The white paint I used is from the local auto parts store. Its called 500 degree engine enamel. It does NOT eat the foam whats so ever and leaves a HIGH GLOSS shine. 

The retract mod failed. Only because the P51 strut in longer. :(  I could mod and cut the shock housing with a chance that it may not work either. But I dont want to wreck the shock for that because on the brighter side, I did find that the Dynam F6F Hellcat retract wire are the same length as the P51 strut. I know this because I have a set of the Dynam F6F retracts on my shelf. I had them as spares for my first Dynam Corsair. Same retract so the the wheel wire is interchangeable. So theres a way better chance the P51 strut can be made to fit on the Hellcat. In fact I'm sure of it. The Dave Brown tires are a perfect fit as well. Happy landings from the Pacific NW, Looking forward to the first sunny day with no wind so trimming will be a breeze, HA    :P

Comment

:D  Maiden flight of my F4U Corsair was today. Clear skies and sunshine. Wind was out out the NW at 5 -15mph. Runnway runs N and S. Not ideal maiden conditions but I went for it. First flight went well but was almost a dissaster. On take off she torqed rolled to the left hard as I was battling a wind gust. Got her high in the sky, very little trim was required. She was a handful in the wind, she flew like she was really tail heavy. Very squirly and unpredictable. Landed right away. My landing was not the best as I flipped it on her nose. Oh My I said. I need more nose weight for conditions. Slid in my Admiral 4000mah batt all the way to the nose. 3 ounces heaver than the Admiral 3000 that I started with. My take off was much improved, and she went right up. Banked a right, gear up, a little more trim to make her fly level and TA DA!!!! ;)  EXCELLENT!!!!! She flys great. Loops, inverted flight, barrel roll, even took her way HIGH and performed a flat spin. Very dossile flier, Not the fastest bird in my fleet, but I'm very happy  :)  My landing was a greaser to. I highly recommend this war bird. Excellent flier. The wht bottom gave her great orientation in the ski as well. My next step, back to the CG machine to dial up a little more nose weight with 3000 mah batt, and a prop mod to get more speed. 14x12 should do the trick. Let you know it turns out. 

Comment

"Very docile flyer" is what I would describe it as too! Surprising wasn't it? It was for me when I flew my sons plane. Glad everything went well!
                        Lauren

Comment

Flygirl, 
                          Very nice flier indeed. I'm not sure if I agree with the 85-90mm CG point though, not as of yet anyway. She flew tail heavy on the maiden with out a doubt. But it was windy to. The added 3 ounces of nose weight made her come to life in the wind for sure. Stable and docile for sure. Oh my the white trim bottom stood out, GREAT oreintation when in the sky. I'm guessing top speed around 50mph. My FMS P51 does 75mph according to pocket radar. My last Dynam Corsair I put a 14x12 APC singal blade on it and it was much improved. Even the aerobatics were much crisper. The factory 50amp speed controller handled it just fine to. 

Now I was told once that a good judge of your CG is when you go inverted, There should be only slight pressure up on the stick, This indicates perfect CG. A lot of pressure means nose heavy, no pressure means tail heavy. When I went inverted with the big batt, Very little up pressure was needed to maintain level flight. The plane flew great with the big batt all around as well.  I wasnt in the air long enough to go inverted on the maiden, and the plane was HIGHLY UNSTABLE with the little batt to is why I never tried. If this is true, which so far I have no reason to believe differently, The 85-90mm CG point CANNOT BE RIGHT! I balanced the Corsair to spec then added a touch of lead to make slightly nose heavy for wind pentatration, I know my spelling sucks,  What do know about this and what do you have your CG set at on your sons Corsair. My FMS P51 is set up this very same way and flies great all the time , every time.  :cool:

Comment

I'll have to ask him this weekend what battery he's using and where he set his CG. We put a gyro in it last weekend (it doesn't really need it but if it calms his nerves down then it's a good thing LOL!) that I got him for his birthday so I know he is going to want to try it out this weekend. Can I get back to you? :)
                            Lauren

Comment

Thats way cool  :D  I would like that very much. And one more Q for him as well. How did he balance it? The instructions say 85-90mm from the leading forward edge next to the fuse. Well being a gull wing, does the fuse start at the bend in the wing? and not next to the canopy? The reason why I ask is I saw a U-tube video, and the guy was balancing his F4U on the flat spot of the wing right at the bend before it tapers up to the fuse. I searched for hrs and thats the closest I got to, How to balance an F4U Corsair. 

Comment

Greetings from the Pacific NW,   :cool:  Got my balancing issue with my Corsair taken care of. Up on inspecting my Great Plane CG balancer, found the right side pivot point binding and stiff. The ball socket had plastic debris in side. A little cleaning, and some dry powder graphite, good as new. 

Put the Corsair on the balancer with Admiral 4 cell 4000 mah batt installed. PERFECTO!!! :D  Slightly nose heavy. 
                                Then installed the Admiral 4 cell 3000 mah batt, WOW ! Tail heavy! It took exactly 3 ounces of lead to get slightly nose heavy. No wonder the 4000 mah batt worked so well. 

Went to the airfield, Plane set up for the Admral 3000. Flew much better, But needs a prop change.  To slow and no power in a climb. When I pull up to climb, runs out of power fast, then tip stalls towards earth. In order to get a nice loop, haft to power dive first, then pull up, and smooth in to a loop. First going for a prop change to a 14x12 single blade. If its still not enough, then going to make a motor and ESC swap. Over all though I'm good with the plane. Both my P51's are very fast and would eat the Corsair for breakfast. Happy Landings from the Pacific NW   ;)

Comment

Prop testing: Clear skies and sunshine in the Pacific NW today. Went to the field with 3 different size props. Stock prop is a 13x8 3blade. Looking for a better climb rate and more speed without overheating the motor and ESC, No watt meter as of yet, so went with trial and error. Started with an APC 12x12. The Corsair came to aerobatic life. Nice tight barrel rolls and a much better climb rate for sure. Stock prop pocket radar showed 47mph top speed, APC 12x12 the speed came up to 52mph. After 6minutes landed and found batt at 3.95 volts per cell, motor, and ESC cold as ice. This is good. Installed a 13x12 single blade. Pocket radar showed 57mph, and even better climb rate and aerobatics. After 6 minutes found batt pack, motor and ESC luke warm. Batt volts at 3.88 per cell. Then installed a APC 14x12 single blade. Whew weee ! Pocket radar showed 65 mph, almost unlimited vertical. Aerobatics best yet. Controls very responsive, tight loops and snap rolls outstanding and quick. After 6 minutes landed and found batt warm, motor and ESC luke warm. Batt volts at 3.80 per cell. PERFECT!   :D  These test were performed with factory motor and ESC, and at full throttle from take off to landing. I already knew I would end up with 14x12 prop because the math said so. But with out a watt meter, I just kept up stepping the prop untill heat was generated in the batt. In the past when I've over stepped the amp boundry on the ESC, The BEC would cut motor power when at full throttle, at this point I would simply cut throttle which resets the BEC, Glide for a sec or two, then reapply throttle slowly and only to half giving me motor power back so I can land normally. Even though this is very dangerous, and I have blown out ESC's in the past. Experience says start small, work your way up, and check for heat after every test. This is how I roll. :cool:  

Comment

Finally decided on the Dynam Corsair.

Here's the build so far. I'm waiting on the retracts from the 1400 FMS Corsair. Also trying to decide if the smaller pilot looks better than the one supplied

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Crunch
                                      Finally decided on the Dynam Corsair.

Here's the build so far. I'm waiting on the retracts from the 1400 FMS Corsair. Also trying to decide if the smaller pilot looks better than the one supplied

WOW!  :D Its looking really good! Really like the red trim and detail. You are so going to enjoy the white bottom when in the air. When I lose orientation, I just barrel roll and quickly regain my sight. Nice job Capt! I am currently working on my winter build as well. Dynam Spitfire. Fully modded for SPEED!, Pics on the way.   ;)

Comment

This really looks good. I like the paint job. What did you use for the finish?

Comment

Working...
                                        X