Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade Paths, Explained

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm new to the rc tanks but have been bashing and racing rc cars, trucks, truggy's and buggy's for 20+ years. I was wondering what's the best store to buy parts from ? I just ordered a Heng Long Challenger 2 and wanna hop the crap outta it performance wise before getting into the cosmetics part. Oh and this is probably a stupid question but is there any way to brushless motors in these ? Thank you very much

Comment

Originally posted by Chrislaf View Post
      Hi I'm new to the rc tanks but have been bashing and racing rc cars, trucks, truggy's and buggy's for 20+ years. I was wondering what's the best store to buy parts from ? I just ordered a Heng Long Challenger 2 and wanna hop the crap outta it performance wise before getting into the cosmetics part. Oh and this is probably a stupid question but is there any way to brushless motors in these ? Thank you very much

The stock 6.0 electronics cannot handle the power draw of brushless motors. The 6.1s though has a much higher power draw rating and might be able to handle brushless motors.

If you go with brushless motors you will break stock HL track links fairly easily. You will need to use aftermarket dual pin tracks. The two best for the Challenger are from DKLM r/c and Tamiya. The DKLM are SS with rubber pads and the Tamiya are steel pin/nylon links with rubber pads. Both are for the Leopard 2 but no one makes an aftermarket dual pin track specifically for the Challenger.

The stock HL steel gearboxes will also need to be replaced as they will be under much higher loads then designed for. I would recommend going with a Taigen V2 3:1 bearing gearboxes. About the strongest “drop in” gearboxes available.

I would also recommend a set of drive axles support bearings. There are a bunch more options in regards to electronics and motors that if you want we can talk more about. I look forward to seeing your build.

Comment

Thank you very much for the information I really appreciated it !!!!! I really like those DKLM tracks especially with the rubber pads for extra grip so I'm gonna order a set those and I figure I'll get those Taigen gearboxes also for piece of mind. Would 540 or 550 brushed motors fit cause there's way more options with those. I'm gonna hold off on brushless power for time being. With the Leopard tracks fit or will I have to + or - links ? Thanks again

Comment

Oh with those gearboxes would I use ones for the Leopard ?

Comment

Thank you very much for the information I really appreciated it !!!!! I really like those DKLM tracks especially with the rubber pads for extra grip so I'm gonna order a set those and I figure I'll get those Taigen gearboxes also for piece of mind. Would 540 or 550 brushed motors fit cause there's way more options with those. I'm gonna hold off on brushless power for time being. With the Leopard tracks fit or will I have to + or - links ? Thanks again
            Neither of those motors will fit. Not enough space between the gearboxes. The largest brushed motors that fit are 390s. Taigen sells “black can” 390s that are reasonable in toque and rpms. The Taigen 390 black motors work well for pushing maximum scale top end speeds ~45MPH, but are not as good as the Heng Long “red can” 390s at lower maneuvering speeds especially on long tanks like the Challenger, Leopard and Abrams.

Both tend to get REALLY HOT rather quickly at over 9 volts of power. At 11+ volts the tanks will FLY (60+ MPH scale) but the motors will not last long.

Comment

So do the Abraham's, Leopard and Challenger basically use the same transmissions, tracks ect ? I was thinking of buying another tank so my son and I can battle it out and was wanted to know in your opinion what's the best rtr tank to buy ? I've got plenty of leftover heatsinks and fans from other rc's to help it run cool

Comment

So do the Abraham's, Leopard and Challenger basically use the same transmissions, tracks ect ? I was thinking of buying another tank so my son and I can battle it out and was wanted to know in your opinion what's the best rtr tank to buy ? I've got plenty of leftover heatsinks and fans from other rc's to help it run cool
                Yes all three can run on either Leopard or Abrams tracks. The Challenger though requires a small rubber Oring spacer between its sprocket halves to run either tracks. Or you can run an Abrams sprockets on the Challenger and not worry about needing the spacer. You cannot run a Leopard sprockets on either the Challenger or Abrams. The “backspacing” of the Leopard sprocket is not correct.

Comment

I can't thank you enough for the info. I'm sorry for asking so many questions but what's the word on that heng long dual current sealed transmission is that Taigen V2 3.1 better ?

Comment

I can't thank you enough for the info. I'm sorry for asking so many questions but what's the word on that heng long dual current sealed transmission is that Taigen V2 3.1 better ?
                    The Taigen V2 is stronger and easier to service. Drivability is about equal. Noise level the HL is slightly less.

Being sealed is overrated IMO for the additional cost of it. I drive my tanks exceptionally hard in dirt, sand and light mud. They get filthy inside and I have never had an issue with dirt and gears. Just keep the gears well greased and you will be fine.

Feel free to check out my Instagram @ fsttanks. It’s all RC tank fun.

Comment

Thanks again bro !!!! I'll definitely check it out

Comment

I saw those pics and those are some friggin awesome tanks !!!!! How many do you have if you don't mind me asking ?

Comment

I saw those pics and those are some friggin awesome tanks !!!!! How many do you have if you don't mind me asking ?
                          Over the years I have owned, built and sold A LOT of tanks. The current stable is a few dozen or so of MANY different brands. Some are for loaning out at “open” club battles to folks that want to give IR battling a try, some are shelf queens and rarely are run, other are for bashing/fun runs (Instagram tanks) and serious “regulated” tank battles.

By far the bashing/fun run tanks are my favorite. They are used “like tanks”, driven hard, dirty and with little regard for breaking things.

Comment

Is there a difference between the airsoft unit in 6.0 tanks that have barrel recoil and those that don't?

I watched a video on Youtube about this. And I opened up the airsoft unit in my Panzer III to see if it would be possible to make the barrel recoil. I found that this would probably be possible by simply widening the hole on the unit and then using a piece of brass tube to connect the barrel directly to the air outlet of the pump.
                            I would lose the airsoft function but I don't care.

But it does make me wonder how the barrel recoil works on tanks that have it standard, like my King Tiger. I assume there's a hole in the side of the barrel for feeding the BB balls. But I wonder how the rubber retaining ring that stops BB's from rolling out of the barrel is handled.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraVargen View Post
                              Is there a difference between the airsoft unit in 6.0 tanks that have barrel recoil and those that don't?

I watched a video on Youtube about this. And I opened up the airsoft unit in my Panzer III to see if it would be possible to make the barrel recoil. I found that this would probably be possible by simply widening the hole on the unit and then using a piece of brass tube to connect the barrel directly to the air outlet of the pump.
                              I would lose the airsoft function but I don't care.

But it does make me wonder how the barrel recoil works on tanks that have it standard, like my King Tiger. I assume there's a hole in the side of the barrel for feeding the BB balls. But I wonder how the rubber retaining ring that stops BB's from rolling out of the barrel is handled.
                              The barrel moves backwards slowly and loads the bb. The bb fires as the gun barrel returns forward. That is why the timing of the barrel and track recoil and different from the cannon firing.

So the sequence is barrel moves backwards and loads a bb, then it returns forward rapidly and fires the bb, the tracks recoil the tank back as normal and the cannon sounds.

The mechanism is a simple arm added to the airsoft piston that attaches to the “free floating” barrel. The arm is located on top of the airsoft gun.

Sorry don’t have any photos but hope this helps out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

The barrel moves backwards slowly and loads the bb. The bb fires as the gun barrel returns forward. That is why the timing of the barrel and track recoil and different from the cannon firing.

So the sequence is barrel moves backwards and loads a bb, then it returns forward rapidly and fires the bb, the tracks recoil the tank back as normal and the cannon sounds.

The mechanism is a simple arm added to the airsoft piston that attaches to the “free floating” barrel. The arm is located on top of the airsoft gun.

Sorry don’t have any photos but hope this helps out.
                                Hmm, didn't think of that. An exterior arm that holds the barrel. Is there an gap between the base of the barrel and the hole of the airsoft unit to make the recoil possible? The fixed barrel on my Panzer III is just jammed in the hole of the unit, unable to move.

Now that I look at some pictures of the KT barrel, and then the Leopard barrel+assembly I see there's a screw holding an arm on the underside of the barrel. Barely visible in this photo because of the dark color:
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	recoil leopard.PNG
Views:	533
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	298187

What I can't figure out is how the arm connects to the air piston. I see no place where it could connect. (I'm assuming all 6.0 airsoft units are the same):

Name:	connect where.PNG
Views:	545
Size:	469.6 KB
ID:	298188

I did find this interesting picture, which doesn't seem official. The arm is on top of the unit. I think I could rig something like this for my Panzer III:

Name:	recoil barrel.PNG
Views:	587
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	298186

That said, with the timing between barrel movement and sound being off.... it might be a better idea to get a 6.1 MFU with a servo recoil unit.

Comment

Hmm, didn't think of that. An exterior arm that holds the barrel. Is there an gap between the base of the barrel and the hole of the airsoft unit to make the recoil possible? The fixed barrel on my Panzer III is just jammed in the hole of the unit, unable to move.

Now that I look at some pictures of the KT barrel, and then the Leopard barrel+assembly I see there's a screw holding an arm on the underside of the barrel. Barely visible in this photo because of the dark color:

Name:	recoil leopard.PNG
Views:	533
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	298187

What I can't figure out is how the arm connects to the air piston. I see no place where it could connect. (I'm assuming all 6.0 airsoft units are the same):

Name:	connect where.PNG
Views:	545
Size:	469.6 KB
ID:	298188

I did find this interesting picture, which doesn't seem official. The arm is on top of the unit. I think I could rig something like this for my Panzer III:

Name:	recoil barrel.PNG
Views:	587
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	298186

That said, with the timing between barrel movement and sound being off.... it might be a better idea to get a 6.1 MFU with a servo recoil unit.
                                  The last photo is correct that is how they work.

Comment

You'll need the 6.1S, which works well with the HL metal servo recoil unit, and it's much more realistic than the BB version. However, you have to sacrifice BB to use it, but you can add a barrel smoker for extra fun. That said, the HL recoil unit does require a bit of engineering work, depending on the tank being fitted. I found that the server 'throw' was too great on one (the original servo was constantly trying to move the barrel forward, and it failed), so refitted the servo arm to make it shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by Timbo68 View Post

You'll need the 6.1S, which works well with the HL metal servo recoil unit, and it's much more realistic than the BB version. However, you have to sacrifice BB to use it, but you can add a barrel smoker for extra fun. That said, the HL recoil unit does require a bit of engineering work, depending on the tank being fitted. I found that the server 'throw' was too great on one (the original servo was constantly trying to move the barrel forward, and it failed), so refitted the servo arm to make it shorter.
                                      I'm going to wait until my new barrel comes in, a 34L/24 shorty. Then see which route I go. I'm tempted to go the official 6.1 MFU + servo route (and include barrel smoke), but that'll set me back quite a bit for tank that'll still require more investments than I care for (aftermarket cosmetic parts, paints). And part of me just wants to butcher that airsoft unit to make it work on a budget.

Comment

Hi I've got a Taigen JS-2 and am wondering if a KV-2 turret would work on the JS-2 ? Thank you

Comment

Hi I've got a Taigen JS-2 and am wondering if a KV-2 turret would work on the JS-2 ? Thank you
                                          I have swapped a number of turrets to make both historic and fantastic configuration. It depends if both use the same size turret ring and gear. The KV2 uses a small ring and its been a while so I don’t remember if the JS2 uses a small or larger ring.

If they are the same ring size it is a fairly easy swap with just some minor fitting and adjustments to ensure the turret gear lines up with the turret motor’s

Good luck and have fun with your build.

Comment

Working...
                                          X