X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thebates View Post
    Very simple question here. Can this be upgraded to operational?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22449645004...Cclp%3A2047675
    Yes. It’s a rather easy conversation back to R/C. But it might be cheaper just to buy the R/C version.

Comment

• It's not available RTR. Not Heng Long anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by thebates View Post
        It's not available RTR. Not Heng Long anyway.
        Yes it is. You just are not looking outside of EBay. Look at Toucans actual store or on Amazon or Aliexpress. That Panther has been around for a long time and is referred to as a “pan tiger” because it is a combination of a Panther and Tiger tank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

They switch to Deans because the 6.1 has a higher amp and voltage rating and Tamiya plugs do not do well with high amp and voltages. Tamiya plugs are good to about 9 volts and 15 amps after that they get really hot and can melt with prolonged high voltage and amp draws. The 6.1 is meant to handle 3 cell Lipos (11-12v) and larger motors when combined can easily draw up to 20 amps = very hot.

Trust me the Tamiya plugs would melt and most likely burn with 12v and 20 amps flowing through them for anything much over a minute or two of use.
          Sorry for resurrecting an old thread... I wanted to verify that is correct that the Heng Long 6.1 controller can handle a 3s LiPo? If so, does that apply to the 7.0/7.1 controllers as well? When I bought my first tank, I talked with one of the techs at Toucan about that very issue, and they said no, it would fry the controller.

Also if the controller can handle a 3s, what other modifications would need to be done? Cooling fins on the motors would be a minimum I would think. I'm committed to Deans plugs already for my other models, so that's a given. The tank in question (M1A2 Abrams) also has a steel gearbox and metal tracks and wheels.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hamsolo View Post

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread... I wanted to verify that is correct that the Heng Long 6.1 controller can handle a 3s LiPo? If so, does that apply to the 7.0/7.1 controllers as well? When I bought my first tank, I talked with one of the techs at Toucan about that very issue, and they said no, it would fry the controller.

Also if the controller can handle a 3s, what other modifications would need to be done? Cooling fins on the motors would be a minimum I would think. I'm committed to Deans plugs already for my other models, so that's a given. The tank in question (M1A2 Abrams) also has a steel gearbox and metal tracks and wheels.

Thanks for your help!
            Yes and No. They are rated for up to 12.6 volts for short periods of time but will get hot at that voltage if continuously run at it. If you run the tank in the "low power" mode it will not get hot and will work perfectly well. Low power mode will only use 70% of the total voltage available.

Comment

• I use a 5200mAh 2S LiPo from Hobby Star in all my tanks and love them. There are a couple tanks with small battery compartments like the T-90 that I did a small dremel mod to have the battery sitting in the tank floorboards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Yes and No. They are rated for up to 12.6 volts for short periods of time but will get hot at that voltage if continuously run at it. If you run the tank in the "low power" mode it will not get hot and will work perfectly well. Low power mode will only use 70% of the total voltage available.
                Now THAT is handy to know! If nothing else, it makes several other batteries I currently own available for use. It also means when I'm crawling around the yard I could conceivably go into high power mode for a few seconds to get past a tricky obstacle. Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  I use a 5200mAh 2S LiPo from Hobby Star in all my tanks and love them. There are a couple tanks with small battery compartments like the T-90 that I did a small dremel mod to have the battery sitting in the tank floorboards.
                  Yeah, I wonder why HL decided to make the battery compartment so small on their T90 considering the hull has plenty of space to work with otherwise. What exactly did you do with your tank if I might ask?

Comment

• Basically dremeled out the battery compartment wall towards the rear and velcroed the battery to the floor. I can access the battery connectors and balance tab from the normal battery hatch door.

Comment

Working...
                    X