Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion: Heng Long's 1/16 scale M1A2 Abrams RTR, Upgrade Edition!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I found the size bearings needed.

od 14mm
    id 8mm
    w 4mm

Comment

Anyone know what the correct color is for the Abrams tank. Also, what type of paint should be used.. acrylic? Frankly, I don't like the broad dark "panel lines" and want to clean these up. If motion has plans to carry these I'm all ears.

Comment

I like enamel ModelMaster 2136 “US Gulf Armor Sand”. I prefer enamel when painting directly over the HL factory paint as it “sticks and covers” better then acrylic paints. Acrylics tend to chip and scratch easily if painted directly over factory paint. Enamel is much tougher.

Comment

Originally posted by Woohoo\o/ View Post
          I think I found the size bearings needed.

od 14mm
          id 8mm
          w 4mm
          This one was pulled right from the HL bearing support housing.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2EABCC2E-F5C0-44FB-BA60-5DE7BB30DD66.jpeg
Views:	627
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	240250
          Click image for larger version

Name:	677F1BDE-F79D-4E81-B770-1BFD5A5FAB17.jpeg
Views:	812
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	240248Click image for larger version

Name:	6552343A-E38D-495D-8AF9-88B317011A40.jpeg
Views:	791
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	240249

Comment

This is the bearing that supports the 8mm shaft correct? Or is this bearing installed onto the gearbox itself?

I'm trying to support this area in the pic below
            Attached Files

Comment

This is the bearing that supports the 8mm shaft correct? Or is this bearing installed onto the gearbox itself?

I'm trying to support this area in the pic below
              That is a ZTZ99,not an Abrams. Totally different support used on the Abrams.

Comment

Yeah lol I'm just using it as an example sorry. So the bearing you are showing came from here right? Minus the collar shown in photo.
                Attached Files

Comment

I know this isn't the Abrams but this is where I place the bearing to support the shaft correct? Normally there's a brass bushing?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yeah lol I'm just using it as an example sorry. So the bearing you are showing came from here right? Minus the collar shown in photo.

Yes that is an older bearing mount before the one made specifically for the Abrams became available. The Abrams one is of the same style but about 1/2” longer, both use the same bearing size. The one shown is from a T90/72 and is shown installed in one of my older Abrams hulls (posted on RCU.com)

I still use the T90/72 bearing mounts on my older HL Abrams, M41s and M26 (not a direct fit on the M41 or M26). The new Abrams specific mounts offer a little more support for heavier metal/rubber padded track paired with higher torque motors and all metal road wheels which was a welcome sight when they first came out and only made an already tough tank even tougher.

Comment

I know this isn't the Abrams but this is where I place the bearing to support the shaft correct? Normally there's a brass bushing?
                      Yes that is where the bearings mount would go on the Abrams. There is no brass bushing just a plastic hole that the drive axle passes through.

Comment

I made bearing supporter for my many tanks.This's my M 41 A3.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Some of mine.Bearing size recommend 8x14x4 mm. and 8x16x5 mm.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a ton rubicon.

rdex2, what glue did you use? Looks fairly simple.

Update: yeah I've been over thinking this. I received my Abrams, did the 2 minute test all was great (great sound btw) and began taking her apart. The paint is waay too dark. Gonna paint her up.

Rubicon I see where the bearing goes now. Sorry for run around. I just don't understand why wouldn't they add some bearings? I would gladly pay an extra $15-20 for the added feature.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a ton rubicon.

rdex2, what glue did you use? Looks fairly simple.

Update: yeah I've been over thinking this. I received my Abrams, did the 2 minute test all was great (great sound btw) and began taking her apart. The paint is waay too dark. Gonna paint her up.

Rubicon I see where the bearing goes now. Sorry for run around. I just don't understand why wouldn't they add some bearings? I would gladly pay an extra $15-20 for the added feature.
                              I use 5 mm acrylic sheet to made a holder and fix with hot glue. And flange bearing size is 8X12X2.5 mm. may be use without any holder. In this clip 2.35 min show how he easy put it into a hole(see comment below).https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qdKRZmD62Q

Comment

Ok thats great. Yes I saw that video. So all I really need is a flange bearing? Will the bearing fall off easily? Or should I hot glue the bearing for extra security? Thank you.

Comment

Here is my Abrams without decals and weathering. Just bare paint. Not exactly accurate paint as the real life Abrams but $4 camo paint sand color and 30 minutes of work and it's better than the coffee brown color.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rdex2 View Post

I use 5 mm acrylic sheet to made a holder and fix with hot glue. And flange bearing size is 8X12X2.5 mm. may be use without any holder. In this clip 2.35 min show how he easy put it into a hole(see comment below).https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qdKRZmD62Q
                                    Can I use 8x12x3.5 flange? The 2.5 cost $20 each 😣

Comment

Can I use 8x12x3.5 flange? The 2.5 cost $20 each 😣

The problem of 8x12x2.5 mm or 8x12x3.5 mm is real inner hole 7.9 mm and a little bit sanding shaft is necessary.

Comment

Gday from New Zealand, glad to have found this site. I have a m1a2, it's only a 5.3 version but I'm slowly getting it upgraded. Was given a 6.0 mfu and am just waiting on the new transmitter and wiring harness as well as the slip ring. Already have the 360 degree turret drive. The tank has had a paint job and I have made a few accessories like the drawbar on the bow and a few bed rolls, tarp and extra storage boxes for the back of the bustle rack. One thing I noticed was the way the tank bounced around going off road, my fix for that was to add lead to the front and rear of the vehicle until the suspension started to deflect, then I removed a few bits till the suspension levelled out. The lead was then melted into blocks and put back in. Oh yeah the smoke unit was pulled out, when was the last time you saw a m1 smoke. The tank now flows over obstacles like they weren't there.

Comment

Sappo Kia Ora! Welcome, and thanks for the tips. I did a similar thing with my Leopard 2A6, adding adhesive lead weight to the forward hull.
                                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
                                          X