You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion: Heng Long's 1/16 scale M1A2 Abrams RTR, Upgrade Edition!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I follow the instructions to change my throttle stick to the left by holding the "G" button and pushing the left stick down I get a beep but not a dong tone. And nothing changes. This works fine on my other tanks. Is there some other setting I am missing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
      JDMac761stBP Another member here bought an Abrams for around $250 from a local hobby store reasoning it was the TK6, as I presumed it was too based on the price. However I believe he ended up returning it after discovering that it was in fact an obsolete 5.3 version. Accordingly, unfortunately everyone should be wary of what they're buying, and double-check before purchasing from a local store or even Amazon. Heng Long told me directly to my face that their own Amazon store is mostly being used to sell off the TK5.3, since they're fine in that configuration for most budget-minded drivers. But for actual RC Hobby tankers, the TK6 is truly leaps and bounds ahead of the earlier TK5 series. In summary, if shopping online or at a store this season for Heng Long tanks, keep in mind that just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's the latest TK6 version, so please ask the seller to clarify first! I'd hate to see anyone overpay for something they didn't want.

To be clear, all of Motion RC's tanks use the latest TK6. We are not bringing in anything with the older electronics.
      Although I have not been very active on this site for a good while...I am back...and now I'm a brand new RC Tank enthusiast with 2 new HL tanks (T90 & Leopard 2A6) purchased from Motion RC (where else?...duh!), and I see that Sir ALPHA is still, 'da-MAN' out here with all the intelligence, know-how and integrity that I remember. Your videos on the new tanks at Motion really got me going bro! You and 'Pilot-Ryan' are my RC heroes man! As a former 'Cold War' era, Vulcan SP crewman/TC....I have "rolled" with the tanks (their mission bodyguards) on the ranges of Ft. Stewart, the NTC of Ft. Ord/Mojave, and the woodlands and plains of 'West Germany'. I too know what tanks should look like and how they should move. These Heng Longs' are spot on and ya just can't beat the price for what 'cha get! Well done MotionRC & ALPHA! Its' good to be back! Now lets get some more in stock ASAP so my best pal can get a few of 'em too! He's chomping at the bit and so am I! I want an M1 real bad now! If HL could ever decide to make an SP Vulcan....that would be F-ing AWESOME! I could be a interim tech advisor on the layout, etc. LOL! Getting those six, 20mm cannon barrels to spin at true scale speed, and emitting "hits" at 100 rounds per second could be a tuff-job..but THAT... would make for some interesting RC tank/ ground war- play...yes? Every body could get involved...tanks, "tracks", airplanes, war jets, attack helos...everyone! Get busy guys...lets start a movement! HA! All my respects,
      ...shocktrooper out....

Comment

• Not sure if this has been covered in this discussion or not, but does anyone have instructions or a walkthrough of how to get a FPV camera into the empty Camera slot on the top of the tank? I think I saw it in the Motion RC video but can’t remember, any info is appreciated.

Comment

• shocktrooper Welcome back home! I'm glad to see you're back in action and enjoy your T-90 and Leopard. More tanks on the way, yes and yes! A Vulcan... I will take that under advisement...

JoeM723 I posted this in my Abrams Pro Plus Customization thread. I designed a 3D Printed replacement for the Abrams' CITV that could fit my specific FPV camera, which is a prototype and not on the market. Which camera do you have?
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Alpha I actually have not purchased a FPV camera for my tanks yet, I was just wondering if there was a camera small enough to fit in the regular CITV slot. Unfortunately I don’t have a 3D printer so I will probably just mount a regular FPV camera onto the turret.

Comment

• Originally posted by karltrek View Post
              When I follow the instructions to change my throttle stick to the left by holding the "G" button and pushing the left stick down I get a beep but not a dong tone. And nothing changes. This works fine on my other tanks. Is there some other setting I am missing?
              I get he same results. The only thing that happens is that the tail lights toggle on/off. I think Rubicon99 posted something on this. My take home message from what he wrote was that we have a lower/different version module. This for my Abrams. i haven't tried my Leopard. Both were purchased last month. MRC said we had the latest controller in this shipment, so maybe this is a "feature". Personally, I rather have the option of changing modes than individual control of the headlights/taillights.

Comment

• Is there a way i can use my own transmitter (flysky) to work with my Abrams?

also I would sure like to swap throttle control to the left stick.

Comment

• Some fpv with a 15 dollar aio camera.

Comment

• Originally posted by Woohoo\o/ View Post
                    Is there a way i can use my own transmitter (flysky) to work with my Abrams?

also I would sure like to swap throttle control to the left stick.
                    I don't think you can bind other transmitters to the tank but here are the instructions for swapping stick functions to put throttle on the left.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200305_0002.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	246412

Comment

• Originally posted by RCGuy83 View Post

I don't think you can bind other transmitters to the tank but here are the instructions for swapping stick functions to put throttle on the left.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200305_0002.jpg Views:	39 Size:	123.0 KB ID:	246412
                      I have found that some of the tanks sold by Motion RC have the 6.0 system and not the 6.0S. So on those tanks, you can't swap the sticks. This only works on the 6.0S and newer.

Honestly, after driving the tanks around with the sticks swapped I ended up moving them back to the stock settings. I kept moving the turret.

Comment

• Anyone else coming up with action camera mounting solutions to get some nice POV footage from this beast?

Comment

• I cut a small piece of foam board to fit in the tank commander's hatch, put some Velcro on top, and stuck the Matecam there. Seems to work pretty well for a low-cost, low-profile action camera for the Abrams.

I need to edit and upload some example footage.

Comment

• I have two questions regarding the HL Abrams. I tried googling this but no joy. First, hat are the three louvred squares mounted around the turret? Second, what is the function of the two rectangles on the front of the turret? WW2 tanks I know, but not the M1! Thanks.
                            Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                              I have two questions regarding the HL Abrams. I tried googling this but no joy. First, hat are the three louvred squares mounted around the turret? Second, what is the function of the two rectangles on the front of the turret? WW2 tanks I know, but not the M1! Thanks.
                              The louvres squares are IR/thermal identifiers. Abrams, Challengers and other NATO vehicles have them so as not to be targeted by friendly forces at night.

As I understand it, basically the rectangles on the forward turret glances are the areas where the DU armor is the thickest. Not all Abrams tanks have DU armor and you will often see foreign operated Abrams without the rectangles. Typically DU armor is held for US and Tier 1 foreign partner countries only.

A follow on question. Why do we make these DU panel so obvious? My theory is it is on purpose as they make great contrasting aiming points for enemy gunners. Where would you want an enemy gunner to shoot if your tank became exposed and he had to take a quick shot? The strongest part of the armor which just happens to be the best aiming point to get a good sight picture on and fire as quickly as possible.

There is precedence of obvious aiming points used by enemy gunners. Such as in WW2 with the Sherman’s and the huge white stars on the front and sides. These made great aiming points for Germany gunners and as such many crews painted over them not long after the invasion of France. The Sherman of course did not have strong armor and the crews did not want to make it easier for enemy gunners to get solid hits.

Comment

• Cool! (pun intended). With your info, I tracked the panels down; they’re called “Combat Identification Panels”, described on Wikipedia.
                                Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

• My M1A2 lower hull plastic version in process.

Comment

• Saw a picture of this experimental new paint scheme called TALON and decided I had to make it happen (guess who may have ordered a NATO camo Abrams because he can't stop buying tanks...)

Anyone have any recommendations for these paint shades, or good places I can search for paints? I find a lot of sites don't have good extra tools for searching things like paint

Also, does anyone know what the procedure is for the ERA chunks when it comes to painting? Do they match the underlying pattern, or just paint close enough, or just all one color or what? I have a detail set coming to add the TUSK armor update, which is what started me on the path of trying to identify the paint job for a tank that just shipped today lol

Comment

• a few questions, one what paint would you use for metal road wheels? where can I get the metal tracks with the rubber pads, mine are just metal? is it possible to blue the tracks black?

Comment

• Originally posted by pappy3122 View Post
                                        a few questions, one what paint would you use for metal road wheels? where can I get the metal tracks with the rubber pads, mine are just metal? is it possible to blue the tracks black?
                                        Are you repainting the whole tank or just the road wheels?

The metal rubber padded tracks can be found on EBay. Toucan Hobbies carries them as well as a few others. They run about $90. Be aware they often need to be adjusted for overall length and then you will need to use the idler tensioner on the tank to make final adjustments. When done correctly they run great and are all but indestructible.

Yes you can use “gun blue” to blacken the tracks I do it to all my metal tracks. It will wear off high/contact point over time but does so just like metal wears on real tank and looks pretty good as they wear.

Comment

• was looking at painting just the road wheels to match the tank

Comment

Working...
                                          X