You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion: Heng Long's 1/16 scale M1A2 Abrams RTR, Upgrade Edition!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

The motors can be found on EBay just search Heng Long 390 motors. They should cost about $25 delivered for two. I am hoping Motion RC chooses to stock these as upgrades as time goes on.

In modern tanks like the Abrams, 3:1 gearboxes are the way to go for top end scale speed. With Heng Long’s new 6.0(6.1)systems and 390 motors you don’t need a 4:1 gearbox. The system has excellent low speed control which is even better then that of the industry leading Tamiya Abrams and which becomes even smoother with the 390 motors.

Now you can buy upgrade 3:1 gearboxes that have thicker support walls and are all bearing shafts. Taigen and HengLong both make these. Heng Long is currently the only one though that has the upgraded 3:1 gearboxes that have a factory option to come with 390 motors already installed. Also the Taigen drive shafts need to be filed down as the are .25mm to wide in diameter. Not hard but a PITA if one was not expecting it.

For the Abrams you need to be looking at the High Low gearboxes in 58(or59)mm shafts (long shafts).

All that said the new stock steal gearboxes are pretty darn durable. I have three sets of these in three different 6.0 tanks and I do not baby my tanks. If you have Instagram visit me @fsttanks to see some of my photos and videos.

Thank you very much this was very helpful! Happy Tanking!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha;n227419
      Just to clarify, you received an Abrams from that seller with the latest hull, but would you also please confirm if you have the latest version of TK? The easiest way to tell is to confirm that you have adjustable track recoil. Tap the K button and S button
      at the same time, and see if the track recoil changes. You should have four levels of track recoil.

Whoever that CS guy was, he was
      obviously guessing when he said that the TK6 doesn't require an on/off switch. It does. He probably just didn't know where the switch
      was located. Glad Rubicon99 got you sorted out!
      Yes. It has the adjustable tank recoil function. My Sherman and King Tiger have the same function. On a side note. During IR battles, the King Tiger can hit from a longer distance than the other two tanks. Twenty to twenty-five feet consistently. Shouldn't all the tanks register hits from the same distance?

Comment

Originally posted by JDMac761stBP View Post

Yes. It has the adjustable tank recoil function. My Sherman and King Tiger have the same function. On a side note. During IR battles, the King Tiger can hit from a longer distance than the other two tanks. Twenty to twenty-five feet consistently. Shouldn't all the tanks register hits from the same distance?
        Yes and no. 20 feet is a really short distance so I am assuming you are outside in direct sunlight or bright overcast.

Were the IR receiver is located also has a lot to do with it. The Abrams for example is placed to the rear of the turret and blocked by hatches, optics and guns. They are providing hard to hit in this area. Also we have found that the IR receivers have to be shot at the base not at the dome. So aiming low usually produces the best results. Moving the IR receivers to the forward half of the turret greatly improves overall reliability in taking hits.

Fortunately adding a small magnet inside the turrets forward section is relatively easy and will work as a new IR attachment point just like the stock one.

There are some more nuances but they should be discussed in another already existing thread “IR Battle System” so we keep this thread on topic.

Comment

Yes and no. 20 feet is a really short distance so I am assuming you are outside in direct sunlight or bright overcast.

Were the IR receiver is located also has a lot to do with it. The Abrams for example is placed to the rear of the turret and blocked by hatches, optics and guns. They are providing hard to hit in this area. Also we have found that the IR receivers have to be shot at the base not at the dome. So aiming low usually produces the best results. Moving the IR receivers to the forward half of the turret greatly improves overall reliability in taking hits.

Fortunately adding a small magnet inside the turrets forward section is relatively easy and will work as a new IR attachment point just like the stock one.

There are some more nuances but they should be discussed in another already existing thread “IR Battle System” so we keep this thread on topic.
          Understood. Much obliged.

Comment

Send help, my left track keeps doing this. It didn’t do this when I first got it. The other track is working perfectly but this one just suddenly started to do this. Do I just adjust the tension of the track?

Comment

Originally posted by Draig73 View Post
              Send help, my left track keeps doing this. It didn’t do this when I first got it. The other track is working perfectly but this one just suddenly started to do this. Do I just adjust the tension of the track?
              First make sure the screw holding the sprocket on is tight. They do at times loosen and cause the sprocket to spread or wobble.

If that is not it, then you might be seeing what is called “track stretch” and happened when the tracks start to wear in. It will continue over the life of the tracks. In this case you would simply adjust the idler wheel one notch forward. Based on your photo I doubt that this is your issue. I would need to see the main body of the track section that contacts the ground while the tank is suspended off the ground. The amount of slack in the track “hang down” would be helpful to see to properly judge you track tension.

Also you IMO you would be best served to remove the inside retaining ring (one closet to hull) on the sprocket as this will keep debris from getting clogged between the rings and causing the “riding up” effect similar to that seen in your photo.

Hope this helps with some starting points.

Comment

First make sure the screw holding the sprocket on is tight. They do at times loosen and cause the sprocket to spread or wobble.

If that is not it, then you might be seeing what is called “track stretch” and happened when the tracks start to wear in. It will continue over the life of the tracks. In this case you would simply adjust the idler wheel one notch forward. Based on your photo I doubt that this is your issue. I would need to see the main body of the track section that contacts the ground while the tank is suspended off the ground. The amount of slack in the track “hang down” would be helpful to see to properly judge you track tension.

Also you IMO you would be best served to remove the inside retaining ring (one closet to hull) on the sprocket as this will keep debris from getting clogged between the rings and causing the “riding up” effect similar to that seen in your photo.

Hope this helps with some starting points.
                Thank you! I just adjusted the idler wheel position a notch forward and the problem disappeared.

Comment

Track doesnt look properley tensioned mine has metal tracks did the same so when i did upgrade of motors re tightend them and locked tighted screws in important places. Hope this helps.

Comment

Help I cannot get my new tank started. Battery charged all.light flashing press and hold the lock button to start and nothing.

Comment

Tankme Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Tankme! Which version of tank do you have, and where did you purchase it? For all of my TK6-equipped tanks, I press the start button briefly. It doesn't need to be pressed and held.

Do you have multiple tanks?

Also, depending on the version of MFCB inside the tank, you should also be able to "rebind" the radio to the tank.
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Has anyone charger melted?

Comment

Alpha check your messages

Comment

From nearly all ww2 planes and nearly all freewing jets from motion I'm on my path to all tanks from motion. I'm so excited that my favorite retailer is now pushing hang long tanks.

I ordered the Abrams upgrade version (plastic tracks) I've owned am Abrams a few years ago and I must say I put it through it's paces. I was recovering from an injury so I installed an fpv system and drove around my house through grass while laying in bed. The tracks never gave me an issue in fact the tank itself never gave me an issue. I passed it along to my nephew and now I'm so pleased that it has the actual turbine sound instead of the combustion engine sound.

I also ordered a panzer 4 f2 but off eBay and the description claims it's a 6.0v. We'll see.

glad to have joined the club.

p.s I'm looking for a quick easy upgrade for a little more top end. Will adding these motors do the trick?

Comment

Originally posted by Woohoo\o/ View Post
                              From nearly all ww2 planes and nearly all freewing jets from motion I'm on my path to all tanks from motion. I'm so excited that my favorite retailer is now pushing hang long tanks.

I ordered the Abrams upgrade version (plastic tracks) I've owned am Abrams a few years ago and I must say I put it through it's paces. I was recovering from an injury so I installed an fpv system and drove around my house through grass while laying in bed. The tracks never gave me an issue in fact the tank itself never gave me an issue. I passed it along to my nephew and now I'm so pleased that it has the actual turbine sound instead of the combustion engine sound.

I also ordered a panzer 4 f2 but off eBay and the description claims it's a 6.0v. We'll see.

glad to have joined the club.

p.s I'm looking for a quick easy upgrade for a little more top end. Will adding these motors do the trick?

https://m.banggood.com/Heng-Long-116...p-1300288.html
                              Sorry the reb 390 will not fit in the Panzer 4. Best option is to up the battery volts to a solid 8.4 or 9.6. Yes the control board can handle it.

Comment

Oh sorry I was talking about the Abrams.

banggood has two red motors. One is $6 and the other is $10. I don't understand the difference between the two. Here's the link to the $10 red motor.

Comment

Oh sorry I was talking about the Abrams.

banggood has two red motors. One is $6 and the other is $10. I don't understand the difference between the two. Here's the link to the $10 red motor.

https://m.banggood.com/Heng-Long-Bru...pupStatedetail
                                  It’s common to see price difference like that on sites like Banggood. It’s a toss up until Motion gets their stock in.

Sometimes they are imitation and sometimes they are the real motors. I have been buying mine from TucanHobby either on EBay or their direct web site and have had good luck. When Motion RC gets theirs in I will be stocking up. Once you try red 390 motors there is no going back to 380s

Comment

I'll go based on the reviews on bg. But these will direct bolt on the Abrams correct?

Comment

I'll go based on the reviews on bg. But these will direct bolt on the Abrams correct?
                                      Yes

Comment

Thanks so much.

Comment

I was wondering. How accurate would you say the paint color is on the HL Abrams? I see it to look a bit darker than it's true life counterpart.

Comment

Working...
                                          X