X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by keilau View Post
    The Type A and Type B are Toucan Hobby product designation. Type A is battery only and Type B is battery plus a slow charger. Nothing to do with the connectors.

I am NOT a fan of LiPO battery. While they are much cheaper than Lithium Ion, they are also much more dangerous. I have had lengthy discussions on this in my HL battery thread. I will not repeat them here.
    Li-ion batteries have more potential for catastrophic events than LiPo, BUT there are applications that aren't even possible without li-ion batteries. Most of the problems with li-ion comes from cheap disreputable manufacturers, improper care and feeding or wrong battery for the application.

In a flying object or a car I can see the lower weight being a key advantage, not so much in a tank, and I'm pretty sure the Heng Longs don't require much of a discharge rate as long as they run on a single charge, li-po batteries are probably overkill really.

Comment

• Originally posted by skyowa View Post

Li-ion batteries have more potential for catastrophic events than LiPo, BUT there are applications that aren't even possible without li-ion batteries. Most of the problems with li-ion comes from cheap disreputable manufacturers, improper care and feeding or wrong battery for the application.

In a flying object or a car I can see the lower weight being a key advantage, not so much in a tank, and I'm pretty sure the Heng Longs don't require much of a discharge rate as long as they run on a single charge, li-po batteries are probably overkill really.
      All Lithium battery are considered fire hassle, yes, including "li-ion comes from cheap disreputable manufacturers". I use only name brand Li-Ion cells that have built-in protection PCB. I remember the early day of Boeing 787, an inflight lithium battery fire almost sinked the 787 program.

Soft pack LiPO usually use no protection circuit to preserve the light weight advantage. Hard shell LiPO may have protection circuit, but are usually too bulky to the Heng Long tank except the low capacity ones. If you can find a high capacity LiPO with protection and it fits the HL battery compartment, use it and share its sales source with us. Lithium battery technology advances all the time. My info on LiPO may be outdated.

Comment

• If one is concerned with the dangers of Lipo or Li ion batteries or does not have the experience knowing how to safely handle, charge and store them the simple solution is to use the tried and true NiMH batteries. I only use NiMH in my tanks as I store and charge the batteries in the tanks, not something safe to do with the other two types of batteries. The added weight of the NiMH batteries is also a plus with tanks unlike in air RC.

Sure NIMHs have some draw backs, but in tanks these are not as big of issues as they are in other RC application.

Old does not mean obsolete.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post
          If one is concerned with the dangers of Lipo or Li ion batteries or does not have the experience knowing how to safely handle, charge and store them the simple solution is to use the tried and true NiMH batteries. I only use NiMH in my tanks as I store and charge the batteries in the tanks, not something safe to do with the other two types of batteries. The added weight of the NiMH batteries is also a plus with tanks unlike in air RC.

Sure NIMHs have some draw backs, but in tanks these are not as big of issues as they are in other RC application.

I don't see the advantage in a tank, the weight isn't a concern, the discharge rate isn't a concern and the capacity is more than sufficient, on the other hand I wouldn't charge any battery in the vehicle if I don't have to, I'm one of those who typically keeps an eye on things while charging batteries, creature of habit. Longevity is probably the only advantage and I'm not convinced it's that much of one based on real world experience with both.

Comment

• by the way, I mixed up LiPo and li-ion in the previous post

Comment

I don't see the advantage in a tank, the weight isn't a concern, the discharge rate isn't a concern and the capacity is more than sufficient, on the other hand I wouldn't charge any battery in the vehicle if I don't have to, I'm one of those who typically keeps an eye on things while charging batteries, creature of habit. Longevity is probably the only advantage and I'm not convinced it's that much of one based on real world experience with both.
              So what is your point in even bringing up batteries? You sounded like you had issues / concerns with LiPo and Li Ion. NIMH was an option I was presenting to you to allay some concerns. Now it sounds like all along you knew what you where doing? The issue of batteries has been beat to death and trying to start a conversation about them is just beating that dead horse again. It's dead already, it ain't going to die more.

You should be more concerned about the mistakes you are making building your M41 vs what battery is going to power it.

Comment

So what is your point in even bringing up batteries? You sounded like you had issues / concerns with LiPo and Li Ion. NIMH was an option I was presenting to you to allay some concerns. Now it sounds like all along you knew what you where doing? The issue of batteries has been beat to death and trying to start a conversation about them is just beating that dead horse again. It's dead already, it ain't going to die more.

You should be more concerned about the mistakes you are making building your M41 vs what battery is going to power it.

I was responding to a post, but thanks for letting me know what you think I should do, appreciate it, have a nice day.

Comment

If one is concerned with the dangers of Lipo or Li ion batteries or does not have the experience knowing how to safely handle, charge and store them the simple solution is to use the tried and true NiMH batteries. I only use NiMH in my tanks as I store and charge the batteries in the tanks, not something safe to do with the other two types of batteries. The added weight of the NiMH batteries is also a plus with tanks unlike in air RC.

For many years, I used MAXAMP brand NiMH for the HL tanks. They were expensive, but had longer life cycle (effectively cheaper) and more linear discharge curve.

I changed to Lithium Ion when I found out that they have longer life cycle and more linear discharge curve (which means a slower voltage drop during normal use.) Lithium battery has the potential of excessive self discharge which can overheat and cause fire. For RC tank, the required current is low (compared to electronic cigarette use.) I use low drainage, low self discharge name brand Li-Io cells only for safety reason. Unused battery should not be fully charged and must be stored in fire proof bag for lithium battery.
                  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KZQZBN2/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07KZQZBN2&pd_r d_w=XDaej&content-id=amzn1.sym.f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_p=f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_r=Q39TMQW157GNN2BMN50Q&pd_rd_wg =9XqZ1&pd_rd_r=0b6c1fce-6d87-4827-8831-f6726b5c588c&s=toys-and-games&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw

Comment

From your post #98, the Amazon seller that you bought from is not a honest person. I will avoid him by returning the tank for refund and purchase elsewhere. You can find Amazon seller who offers Bonafide Heng Long Professional version Walker Bulldog RTR tank too. Just avoid all those sellers offering "modified" Heng Long tanks.

I second @Rubincon99 opinion about Toucan Hobby and MotionRC. The Toucan Hobby website is excellent in listing the exact components of the tank you are buying. Toucan Hobby sells on Amazon and has its own website too.
                    https://www.amazon.com/stores/Toucan...8?ref_=ast_bln
                    I've had a much better experience with that seller than I have had with Toucan so far, now they're playing the tracking number game with a website famous for scammers.

Comment

I've had a much better experience with that seller than I have had with Toucan so far, now they're playing the tracking number game with a website famous for scammers.
                      I really appreciate if you can be more specific. Who is "playing the tracking number game"? Can you share an email that they sent you? Which website is "famous for scammers"? Such information are very helpful for fellow tankers on this forum.

Many sellers in China use YANWEN for shipping and 17track.net for tracking. While these are the most popular services and generally offer acceptable services, but it is not trouble free by any stretch of imagination. When I order from Toucan Hobby, I order from their US store and will wait if they are out of US stock.

Comment

• we're going to pause this conversation and wait a few days, I'll give the seller the benefit of the doubt, no harm it that, no deadlines are growing near, and if I'm wrong I'll be the first to publicly admit it.
                        Last edited by skyowa; Jan 31, 2024, 01:52 AM. Reason: decorum's sake

Comment

• Why the heck did you even start then?

Comment

• I was responding to a comment someone made about a seller I've dealt with

Comment

I was responding to a comment someone made about a seller I've dealt with
                              I really appreciate if you can be more specific. Who is "playing the tracking number game"? Can you share an email that they sent you? Which website is "famous for scammers"? Such information are very helpful for fellow tankers on this forum.

Many sellers in China use YANWEN for shipping and 17track.net for tracking. While these are the most popular services and generally offer acceptable services, but it is not trouble free by any stretch of imagination. When I order from Toucan Hobby, I order from their US store and will wait if they are out of US stock.​

Comment

• Toucan listed an item as being for the Heng Long Abrams, when it arrived, turns out it's for the mato only, so then they tried to just get me to buy the correct part they should have sent in the first place, when I didn't go for that, they said they'd ship the correct part from their New jersey warehouse, and gave me a bogus USPS tracking number, insisting I use 17track instead of the USPS to track it.

When you generate a label with the USPS with tracking, it's automatically entered into the system, the USPS has no record of the tracking number and when I spoke with them this morning, they said it was not a valid tracking number, and they had no idea where 17track is getting their info which just says a "shipping partner" has it.

I've placed two orders with them from the NJ warehouse, both appeared in the system as soon as the label was generated, both indicate being picked up by the same shipping partner, BCE and handed off to the USPS the same day, not at all how this one is going. In fact he seems more concerned that I already leave him a positive feedback before the matter is resolved than anything else.

Comment

Toucan listed an item as being for the Heng Long Abrams, when it arrived, turns out it's for the mato only, so then they tried to just get me to buy the correct part they should have sent in the first place, when I didn't go for that, they said they'd ship the correct part from their New jersey warehouse, and gave me a bogus USPS tracking number, insisting I use 17track instead of the USPS to track it.

When you generate a label with the USPS with tracking, it's automatically entered into the system, the USPS has no record of the tracking number and when I spoke with them this morning, they said it was not a valid tracking number, and they had no idea where 17track is getting their info which just says a "shipping partner" has it.

I've placed two orders with them from the NJ warehouse, both appeared in the system as soon as the label was generated, both indicate being picked up by the same shipping partner, BCE and handed off to the USPS the same day, not at all how this one is going. In fact he seems more concerned that I already leave him a positive feedback before the matter is resolved than anything else.
                                  When you buy a Mato metal track, it is highly recommended that you use the track with Mato sprockets and idler wheels only. I am sure you will hear the same suggestion from other forum members.

If Toucan Hobby is out of US stock and must ship the item from China, they should have tell you that explicitly because it takes much longer shipping time. The final leg of the delivery is still USPS. The USPS tracking shows up when USPS receives the package from Toucan carrier. It is all standard procedure. Toucan made a huge mistake by assuming that you are a repeated customer and did not explain that to you. You can go back to the listings of the items you ordered. Toucan usually states very clearly where the item will be shipping from.

I have not had an experience that Toucan told me that they shipped from US and turn around to ship from China. Your situation may have come from your partial order. You ordered the track first, then add the sprocket and idler wheel separately later.

I like the quality of the Mato metal tracks and hope that you enjoy them too. If your track comes with rubber pad, make sure to glue them on securely.

Comment

• I don't have mato tracks, I have Heng Long, I didn't order tracks, I ordered a sprocket and Idler set. and that's what the listing stated they were for, and they they stated clearly they were be shipped from NJ not China, and have not changed their story on that. The bottom line is I told them if the tracking number has not registered with the USPS by Friday since the error was on their part I'll just return the entire order for a refund and move on to a different vendor. By the way it would actually be illegal for any company to sell you an item saying it is being shipped from the US and then change it to China without your Express consent they have to give you a chance to cancel the order because they changed the terms of sale.

Comment

• Toucan has resolved the issue, my guess is computer glitch, part is on the way

Comment

I ended up buying one of these from Amazon, advertised as being modified/upgraded, including the turret revolving 360 degrees, and a 3800mah NiMH battery instead of the 1800mah, cost me a total of jackson after redeeming my stash of gift cards. Box arrived yesterday, everything worked perfectly except for the smoke generator, blower turns on, no smoke. Decided to go ahead and take the shell apart thinking might just be a loose wire, which it was wasn't, it's just dead, but it gave me a chance to look at everything else.

First thing I noticed, the "upgraded speaker appears to be the stock V7 speaker, not upgraded to anything, but I do know where I can get a speaker with the same form factor with a passive radiator that will yield a bit better sound if I want, the funniest thing was the turret ring described as "Slip Rings Handmade and installed", it's the factory ring, they just cut gears into the tab that acted as a stop, so now it revolves 360, unfortunately there's still a cable that does want to be twisted 360 degrees. Good thing I didn't just sit and spin​, a had a feeling there was a cable involved. Other than that, it's a normal "upgrade edition" like MRC sells, metal tracks, drive wheel and transmission, just a slightly higher price. They also appear to have removed at least one link from each track, there is basically zero slack in the system, I have links and pins, no instructions on how to replace them , a paper clip won't drive them out apparently, open to suggestion there.

That being said, I went ahead and processed an exchange because of the non-functional smoke unit which will be here Wednesday, I do like the tank, won't be buying any more from that seller, but I do plan on getting the rest of the American models
                                        If you consider the experience with this Amazon seller to be better than with Toucan Hobby, stick with this seller. It is not fair to say bad thing about Toucan to prove keilau and Rubicon99 wrong. Case close.

Comment

If you consider the experience with this Amazon seller to be better than with Toucan Hobby, stick with this seller. It is not fair to say bad thing about Toucan to prove keilau and Rubicon99 wrong. Case close.
                                          no one asked for your opinion of the seller in the first place oddly, but you decided to slam the guy so don't be a hypocrite and move on

Comment

Working...
                                          X