Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiya, QB. I too am a r/c flyer primarily. Here’s what I’ve found about the LiIons with the LVC. Sometimes they get so low that our “smart chargers” get outsmarted. It won’t recognize the battery if the charge is too low. Put your charger on Nimh for a short time until the voltage rises enough then go back to LiIon charge. Keep an eye on it, of course.

The earlier HL Models had either airsoft or IR, not both. When you upgrade, the 6.0 board will allow both. Check the LegoDEI IR receiver on Etsy and the thread about it here.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
      Thanks Bob, I come from planes with Lipo batteries so I don't know. I received my Panzer III Austf L today. Bought it used off ebay. The previous owner barely used it and never put on the metal tracks and sprockets which I got in the deal for $125. All the parts were in the box, but one half of the hatch is missing and the left front LED light is broken. Battery is dead and I don't know if it is dead dead or my inexperience with li ion batteries is at fault. All my chargers say connection error. I am charging at lower then 1c on Li Ion mode. Anyway, not sure if the IR battle mast is missing or this tank being an airsoft version doesn't come with it. All the misc parts are still in their original bags
      That is a 5.2 version based on manufactured date. Totally different driving feel from the new 6.0 versions. Easy to upgrade in about 20 minutes with some minor wire splicing and a few new connectors. Adding an IR bulb takes a bit more time but is also easy once you determine if you want it in the barrel or elsewhere on the turret.

NOTE: It does not have an IR battle system as the 5.2 version were airsoft only.

Comment

Thank you Rubicon for confirming kinda what I thought when I bought it. I will order a battery and get it running, but really will end up ripping out the electronics and upgrade to a better board. I will put the IR bulb in the barrel. The Heng Long radios feel really cheap and seem very unergonomic in layout for firing buttons. Would love to put in a lemon receiver and clark or UB2 board to use my better radios. First thing though is get it running and figure out what I really need to improve and then go battling.
        Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Thank you Rubicon for confirming kinda what I thought when I bought it. I will order a battery and get it running, but really will end up ripping out the electronics and upgrade to a better board. I will put the IR bulb in the barrel. The Heng Long radios feel really cheap and seem very unergonomic in layout for firing buttons. Would love to put in a lemon receiver and clark or UB2 board to use my better radios. First thing though is get it running and figure out what I really need to improve and then go battling.
          If you don’t go with a 6.0/6.1 HL MFU go with Clark. Best supported and most widely used aftermarket MFU in the states. IBUs are not what they once were and for a new tanker not what many including myself would recommend.

Comment

Thanks again Rubicon for your advice. I was actually leaning towards the Clark 22 board, but the 40 see to be easier to get and has more features. Yes, some of the features are not relevant to WWII tanks like barrel level. TK22 seem harder to find with the Panzer III motor sound too. I might get another tank and need a programmable chip

Comment

I powered her up with a spare 7.2 Lipo that doesn't fit the bay but would help me see if it works. She works except the turret gets caught or misses a gear tooth going to the right. Gets stuck and chatters. I am guessing since I haven't opened up the hull that it is getting caught on something.

Comment

I powered her up with a spare 7.2 Lipo that doesn't fit the bay but would help me see if it works. She works except the turret gets caught or misses a gear tooth going to the right. Gets stuck and chatters. I am guessing since I haven't opened up the hull that it is getting caught on something.
                Most likely you have a few wires getting caught in the turret rotation gear. Also the turret will not turn 360 degrees. More like 320. The clicking you hear is the “slip” gear and it is there to keep the turret gears and motor from get damaged. The barrel has one too for the same reason.

Comment

QB, just for future reference, I bought my 6.0 Panzer III Pro from Toucan on eBay for $185, which included metal tracks, sprockets and idlers and free shipping from New Jersey. Keep them in mind whenever you are looking for the next tank!

Comment

When I looked there wasn't any free shipping, but I wish I had jumped on one that I guy had that already had the 360 rotation and metal tracks for $175 free shipping. I paid $150 for mine and the radio is old and it has a missing hatch with a dead battery on arrival. I ordered the 3500 battery from motion this morning. That is an upgrade I can live with as I probably needed more capacity.

Comment

Actually to get free shipping you have to “make an offer”. I usually make whose total eliminates the shipping and maybe $5 or more off from their listed price. You can also ask for parts and such that may not be shown. I lost a 1/2” square part from a tank, my fault for not gluing, and they sent me a replacement free.

Also, if you use HL’s 6.0 transmitters, you can bind more than one 6.0 tank to each Tx. I’ve got three tanks on each Tx, just gotta pick and choose so you don’t end up with two tanks you want to run on the same Tx! 🤪😭

Comment

Any way to look up tank clubs in So Cal? I am near Los Angeles.

Comment

Any way to look up tank clubs in So Cal? I am near Los Angeles.
                          LA Tanks battles at the tank museum in Alhambra the first Sunday of every month when not under the COVID restrictions.

Also San Diego tank club “619 Battalion” does battles 6-8 times a year also when not under COVID restrictions.

I battle with both clubs and they are HL tank friendly.

COVID has really put a damper on battle days with each club because of the location used, not because the memberships are scared of it.

I have a bunch of photos from a few of the club battles on my Instagram @ fsttanks. Feel free to take a look.

Comment

I use to fly right across the street from the museum at Whittier narrows. I don't have IR yet, but I assume they use HL IR? I am trying to order a TK22A controller that is HL IR and Tayima compatible. The descriptions are hard to figure out want I need to modify in order to make the Clark board work. The TK Clark boards do look backwards compatible with all HL tanks. Clark makes a 6.0 board that upgrades the HL 5.3(which is what my Panzer has) but it looks like only Tayima IR. It means my smoker and everything else is plug n Play. But I don't want to buy it if it doesn't give me HL compatible IR if that is what everyone is using.

Comment

I use to fly right across the street from the museum at Whittier narrows. I don't have IR yet, but I assume they use HL IR? I am trying to order a TK22A controller that is HL IR and Tayima compatible. The descriptions are hard to figure out want I need to modify in order to make the Clark board work. The TK Clark boards do look backwards compatible with all HL tanks. Clark makes a 6.0 board that upgrades the HL 5.3(which is what my Panzer has) but it looks like only Tayima IR. It means my smoker and everything else is plug n Play. But I don't want to buy it if it doesn't give me HL compatible IR if that is what everyone is using.
                              The new 6.0 HL tanks are all Tamiya IR compatible. So anything that is Tamiya compatible will be able to take and receive hits from a 6.0 HL tank. There is a thread about this topic on this forum I wrote not long ago. I will see if I can dig it up and bump it to the top for you and a few other to take a look at.

The Ca. clubs base their requirements on having a tank that is at least able to take hit from an authentic “Tamiya brand” IR battle system. Which the 6.0 HL and Clark board tanks can do. Both though do this better with aftermarket quality IR receiver upgrades like the one offered by LegoDEI which many here use.

Both clubs have folks with “loaner” tanks for those that are not quite set up with their own tanks yet to try some battling. I am one of them. So no worries about showing up and not being ready. Folks love having new people attend and give the hobby a try.

Comment

I found my turret problem. The barrel support was broken causing the housing to sag enough to hit the little hook in the front of the turret Click image for larger version

Name:	Panzer broken gun support.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	289696

Comment

I found my turret problem. The barrel support was broken causing the housing to sag enough to hit the little hook in the front of the turret Click image for larger version

Name:	Panzer broken gun support.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	289696
                                  Good to see you found the problem. Also good to see you took the tank apart👏👏. Many folks are hesitant to do so.

Comment

I don't hesitate to take stuff apart, but I understand a lot of people don't. Modelling my whole life. I went to train store recently and was surprised that everything was already put together. No more kits. Owner said "no one has the time anymore to build, they just want to run the train". Building is at least half the fun. Well for me it is. I bit the bullet and bought a TK40 board as I really can't stand the HL transmitter and want to use my Horus. I figured the board can make the tank more realistic as well as function better. I can move the board and radio to another tank if I get really hooked. I also ordered a barrel flash and smoke unit. Now to order one of LegoDEI receivers. How is the receiver hooked into the top of the Cupola? I guess I need an IR emitter too?

Comment

I don't hesitate to take stuff apart, but I understand a lot of people don't. Modelling my whole life. I went to train store recently and was surprised that everything was already put together. No more kits. Owner said "no one has the time anymore to build, they just want to run the train". Building is at least half the fun. Well for me it is. I bit the bullet and bought a TK40 board as I really can't stand the HL transmitter and want to use my Horus. I figured the board can make the tank more realistic as well as function better. I can move the board and radio to another tank if I get really hooked. I also ordered a barrel flash and smoke unit. Now to order one of LegoDEI receivers. How is the receiver hooked into the top of the Cupola? I guess I need an IR emitter too?
                                      Make sure you order the right LegoDEI receiver. Not the one for the HL 6.0 tanks those will not work with the Clark TK40. This is because Clark uses the Tamiya wiring arrangements not the HL.

The base for the receiver is up to you to build or you can use a Clark or Tamiya base but you will have to find one. Generally not hard to find.

There are a few really good installation threads for the LegoDEI receivers here on this forum. Just do a search and they will come up.

Don’t know if the TK40 will be able to handle the barrel smoke system power requirements. Honestly have not seen anyone try it yet as the barrel smoke is a rather new offering by HL.

Comment

I bought the Barrel Smoke system and TK40S off of Stanlley at RCTankLegion. They custom make them I think. Stanlley mentioned that the TK board only uses Tamiya. I spent more on the electronics then the tank LOL. On the other hand, the HL 6.0 transmitter and boards may list on Ebay for $37 but those are each prices. Bundled they would set me back almost $80. I rather spend $80 more for a first rate board in a second hand tank. The options on the TK board system seem pretty cool in comparison to the HL and besides, I love to tinker.

Comment

I bought the Barrel Smoke system and TK40S off of Stanlley at RCTankLegion. They custom make them I think. Stanlley mentioned that the TK board only uses Tamiya. I spent more on the electronics then the tank LOL. On the other hand, the HL 6.0 transmitter and boards may list on Ebay for $37 but those are each prices. Bundled they would set me back almost $80. I rather spend $80 more for a first rate board in a second hand tank. The options on the TK board system seem pretty cool in comparison to the HL and besides, I love to tinker.
                                          The US Clark retailer is in AZ. Basically overnight shipping for western states. Would have directed you to them had I known you were ready to buy. Oh well Stanley is a good guy too.

I think you will like the TK40 it has a lot of “tinkering” potential.

Comment

Working...
                                          X