Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to use panzer 3 transmissions for the Lee. The panzer trannys are mid low, the stock Sherman trannys are high low and the m3 won’t fit right.
    then you have to cut the drive shaft shorter and then grind the flat D back further to fit the sprockets.

I built one up several years ago but never made the inside operational or painted it, here is a video I took.

Custom build M3 Lee with Henglong chassis and ureathane body kit. Testing my new modified rubber track pad tracks.
    RC tank parts and accessories I make
    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

I see the track pads you added!
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

What have you guys done to cover this vent? Nothing came with the kit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	M3 Lee 10.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	304461

Comment

There was a piece of green plastic mesh in my kit. I think it shows in one of the pics on the DAK website.
          Steve
          Picture #30

Comment

Hmm, thanks. Mine was missing, I'll either contact Kenny to see if it fell out, or I'll find some generic PE mesh and cut to size.

By the way, to all; any recommendations on the best (cheap, fast, variety) source for PE grilles?

Comment

Just a couple of in-progress snaps. This has taken a week of dremeling, sanding and fitting. Compromises: the hull gun barrel is a leftover from the modification of the Sherman in the background. It's a 105mm howitzer, so thicker, but it looks nice and tank'y! I'll be inserting an IR bulb into it eventually. Tracks will be the stock Sherman's, and the return rollers will remain as is for now.

Name:	M3 Lee 11.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	304955Click image for larger version

Name:	M3 Lee 12.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	304954
              Attached Files

Comment

Lookin real nice!

Comment

Today's work: I added functional headlights, scrounged from the Sherman kit. I also inserted the MG light into the turret. I had to use a CF rod thicker than the original MG barrel, but painting will make it less noticeable.

Here's a link to a 60 second clip, just for fun: https://youtu.be/hjTtwnkvhMI

Comment

Bob I highly suggest you do not use that howitzer barrel, it looks odd when you know what the tank looks like since the 75mm was a small gun and in North Africa most of the M3s had a counterweight on the end of the barrel. It looked funny but cool. That was fixed later on and that is the barrel they supply. Also, with the barrel they supply, you can with some work make it recoil with a servo.

Name:	MA srefegr4.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	305100
                    Attached Files
                    RC tank parts and accessories I make
                    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Hey Rich, yeah, my whole gun assembly can come apart, so I can replace the barrel at any time. Right now, I'm using whatever I have in the shop. I won't be doing barrel recoil, but I will need a hollow barrel later on for an IR bulb.

Comment

Necessity > Creativity

Two issues with my build, the gearbox sticking out and the lack of an engine grille behind the turret.

I'm trying to use bits of the original Sherman kit wherever possible, so for the gear, I used one of the storage boxes in the accessory pack, cut out the back to cover the hole.

Name:	M3 Lee 09.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	305242Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1254.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	305245

For the vent hole, I cannibalized part of the Sherman grille. Probably not "authentic", but it's better than the gap!

Views:	283
ID:	305243Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1255.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	305244

Comment

suggestion, for wood boxes, you can take a razor saw and scrape it along the plastic with the blade sideways to scratch "grain" into the plastic to better make it look like wood. Excellent build thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaseline View Post
                            suggestion, for wood boxes, you can take a razor saw and scrape it along the plastic with the blade sideways to scratch "grain" into the plastic to better make it look like wood. Excellent build thus far.
                            Oh yeah , we have not yet begun to..weather!

Comment

Bright & shiny, right off the (Chrysler?) showroom floor. V, i scored the box as you suggested. It'll look good!

Name:	M3 Lee 15.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	305455

Comment

Looks great Bob!
                                Where did you get those figures?
                                Steve

Comment

It was on eBay. It's a group of four. Unpainted of course. Most sellers had them for $40+, but I found mine for $20+. My seller was notonlybuy. Search 1/16 ww2 us tank crew.

Comment

Got em on the way!
                                    Thanks so much Bob!
                                    Steve

Comment

Sureshot, something more to buy if you're interested. I found a 3D printed commander's cupola for the Lee on Shapeways, something our kits lack and for me is a must have. Shapeways makes items on order from their files, usually arrives in 2-3 weeks. The material is slightly grainy, but won't seem out of place all painted up. Expensive for what it is, but "the heart wants what the heart wants"! With s&t it was about $24.

Name:	M3 Lee 16.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	305482
                                      A turret on top of a turret on top of a hull gun. Irresistable!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                                        Necessity > Creativity

Two issues with my build, the gearbox sticking out and the lack of an engine grille behind the turret.

I'm trying to use bits of the original Sherman kit wherever possible, so for the gear, I used one of the storage boxes in the accessory pack, cut out the back to cover the hole.

Name:	M3 Lee 09.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	305242Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1254.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	305245

For the vent hole, I cannibalized part of the Sherman grille. Probably not "authentic", but it's better than the gap!

Views:	283
ID:	305243Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1255.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	305244

I haven't seen this before; what a neat trick to conceal the gears!
                                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

WELCOME BACK ALPHA!!!!!
                                          Really enjoy ferrying my Sherman around in my LCM3. And the M3 Lee will fit also when I get it finished.
                                          That was a very good idea with the box over the gears Bob.
                                          The Sherman grill looks better than the plastic mesh too.

Alpha, any chance of seeing more PT boats by summer?

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                          X