Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting read, not quite the route I would go though http://trainelectronics.com/Animation_Smoke/

Comment

Originally posted by sclui56 View Post
      Interesting read, not quite the route I would go though http://trainelectronics.com/Animation_Smoke/

???? Not sure what you mean? The video basically is what I'm planing to do. He's going about it wrong IMO, because I'm going to simply replace the factory Taigen element with Kanthal, which is exactly in that coil head he is soldering to. Here is what the inside of that coil head looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	57aa0eb023e75052d697eef397c99ad4.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	307389
      I use these on a daily basis...and that is a coil/wick I made. Where he's falling short is, using the 510 base that holds that coil. No need for all that. What is required however, is Phosphoric Acid Activated Flux to join Nichrome wire (Kanthal) to ordinary copper wire or a PCB board. His pill bottle "tank" is already there courtesy of Taigen...along with the blower.(piston). Which by the way, is the weak link in the whole apparatus. .that dinosaur is destined to fail from the get go. One more reason the Henglong design is far superior. A simple blower motor.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for sharing, would love to see the mod when completed. This is totally something I am unfamiliar with.

Comment

Following.

A vaper friend of mine build his own gear. I've also wondered if the liquid used for vaping could be used. But my concern would be: I noticed the vapor from vaping leaves what appears to be a sticky residue on surfaces after a while. I have no idea which component in the liquid is the culprit, and if that component would he needed to create the "smoke" we want. But I am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraVargen View Post
            Following.

A vaper friend of mine build his own gear. I've also wondered if the liquid used for vaping could be used. But my concern would be: I noticed the vapor from vaping leaves what appears to be a sticky residue on surfaces after a while. I have no idea which component in the liquid is the culprit, and if that component would he needed to create the "smoke" we want. But I am curious.

Indeed, you're correct. A very light film is produced by vapor. I see it on the inside windshield of my car over time. It's caused by the carrier fluid, either PG or VG. Good news is, it's easily cleaned out + I don't make my smoke pump run very often..actually, barley at all. When I do, I want it to puff like an 18th century steam locomotive (dont ask me why). If it builds up, simply insert a Q-tip in the pipe, and give it a few strokes-good to go.

What would be the **** & kick ass, is if there was a way to tint that vapor...light blue obviously....or black in the case of a diesel ran tank.

If you have ever taken the stock Henglong smoke unit apart, you will notice- A Kanthal coil, surrounded by a Silica wick...... What does that tell you?

Comment

Z, that 370 pump from the unit you ordered is more efficient than the "motorized piston" from the Taigen unit, though it's also taking up more space.

Comment

Z, that 370 pump from the unit you ordered is more efficient than the "motorized piston" from the Taigen unit, though it's also taking up more space.
                Roger that. I figured I would have to squeeze it in somehow, as Im sure the bolt down pattern is vastly different, not to mention the size. Im praying my "New & improved" wicking set up may end the need for a conversion...but who knows...

Comment

This is the one I have ordered, it's on a slow boat https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...archweb201603_

Comment

Originally posted by Zippersnapper View Post
                    Question: Can a stock Henglong be made to work in the Tiegen? If so what would the wiring schematic look like?
                    2. Has anyone tried these succesfuuly:

in either brand ? I know smoke is not an issue to many, but I think it's cool in the rare instances its called upon...
                    There appear to be two versions of that smoker unit. One is advertised as for the 6.0 board, and has a 6v heater module. The other is advertised as being for the 6.1 board, and has a 7.4v heater module.

I found it strange that there would be two versions. Apparently the voltages being output by the heater coil port on the board are different.

Is there a way to confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Taigen uses the old 5.2/5.3 HL smoke units. The new HL smoke units work well because they have higher voltage being supplied to them, hence “S” designation on the 6.0 systems. (The “S” is the indication for higher smoke systems voltage)

So simply adding the new 6.0S HL smoke system will not change the output any more then you are seeing now. The Taigen V3 just does not put out enough volts for it to operate at 100%.
                      Rubicon, I see two versions of the "new" HL smoke unit advertised by Toucan. One being for the 6.0S board (with a 6v coil), the other for and of the 6.0, 6.1 and 6.1S boards (with a 7.4v coil). Apparently there's a difference in voltage on CN11 between the two boards? Somehow I find that strange, not to mention confusing.

I have a 6.1S board in the tank I'm working on, and I'm wondering which smoker I should order.

Can you confirm?

Comment

This is the one I have ordered, it's on a slow boat https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...archweb201603_
                        Yep. I ordered the same one, but paid 2X the amount. I'm not very smart.,,just impatient.

Comment

Closer examination of the Henglong smoker, we can see that they use a Kanthal coil surrounded by a Silica wick (imagine that):

Name:	20210405_122057.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	307492

Name:	20210405_123018.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	307494

Notice they are using micro crimp connectors for the Kanthal, and not soldering.

But I see room for improvement on this one as well. I also put a tiny amount of superglue on that rubber seal to keep it in place. A tight seal means more out the exhaust.

Name:	20210405_125909.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	307496

Testing, it blows ample smoke.....I still havn't figured out a way to equalize the smoke from both exhaust ports. I even blew out each tube to make sure nothing was clogged.
                          I need to work on that

Name:	20210405_133313.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	307498

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Zippersnapper View Post

Yep. I ordered the same one, but paid 2X the amount. I'm not very smart.,,just impatient.
                            Wait, I thought you ordered the one with a cylindrical 370 pump in your first post. BTW, is kanthal same or similar to nichrome wire?

Comment

Well..... I will tell you I have 8 VVSS Shermans. One is a henglong the rest are taigen. And the one henglong has nothing henglong left on it because I wore it all out. The wheels, the trannys, the tracks they all ate themselves to death. The only thing left in California Girl that is henglong is the lower hull, the nose, and the plastic bogies, the wheels tracks, sprockets trannys have all had to be replaced and I used taigen since they don’t wear out anywhere near as fast. Henglong plastic wheels are especially terrible. I have seen the new bogies are metal with bushings if you get the Pro, I can’t comment on them as I don’t have any.
                              RC tank parts and accessories I make
                              www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Rubicon, I see two versions of the "new" HL smoke unit advertised by Toucan. One being for the 6.0S board (with a 6v coil), the other for and of the 6.0, 6.1 and 6.1S boards (with a 7.4v coil). Apparently there's a difference in voltage on CN11 between the two boards? Somehow I find that strange, not to mention confusing.

I have a 6.1S board in the tank I'm working on, and I'm wondering which smoker I should order.

Can you confirm?
                                Get the one for the 6.0S system. It is the newest one.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Get the one for the 6.0S system. It is the newest one.
                                  To clarify, with newest do you mean the one with the square black smoke reservoir of the one with the round reservoir? Both seem to come in a "6.0S" as well as a "6.0/6.1/6.1S" version. The difference seems to be the voltage.

I was eyeing the one on the left in this picture, since it has the same shape as the barrel smoker I got. With some work I fitted that one neatly under one of the two rear hatches of the Panzer III for easy access. I could fit the second reservoir under the other rear hatch without a lot of trouble.

Name:	smoke.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	307511

Comment

Wait, I thought you ordered the one with a cylindrical 370 pump in your first post. BTW, is kanthal same or similar to nichrome wire?
                                    Nooo, I ordered the Henglong 6.0 to retro fit into the Taigen as it's a proven smoke blower. Yes Kanthal is Nichrome wire. Kanthal being the "street" name.

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                                      Well..... I will tell you I have 8 VVSS Shermans. One is a henglong the rest are taigen. And the one henglong has nothing henglong left on it because I wore it all out. The wheels, the trannys, the tracks they all ate themselves to death. The only thing left in California Girl that is henglong is the lower hull, the nose, and the plastic bogies, the wheels tracks, sprockets trannys have all had to be replaced and I used taigen since they don’t wear out anywhere near as fast. Henglong plastic wheels are especially terrible. I have seen the new bogies are metal with bushings if you get the Pro, I can’t comment on them as I don’t have any.
                                      Understood completely...All 3 of my Tanks 2 Henglong & 1 Taigen are all "Pro Versions" with all metal running gear & steel gear boxes. The Taigen, (most recent) is impressive, but it has its shortcomings. The Lower hull is 3mm metal, the Turret is metal as well. Only the upper hull is plastic. The Taigen gear box is a bit tall, meaning the speed is unrealistic. I'm betting its 4:1 gears and not 3:1. Need to swap that out eventually. Of course the Taigens barrel elevation sux, as you simply pull down on the joy stick and watch it cycle, unlike the Henglong which goes up and down with the joystick. They both have their strong points & shortcomings....You cant have it all I suppose.

Comment

To clarify, with newest do you mean the one with the square black smoke reservoir of the one with the round reservoir? Both seem to come in a "6.0S" as well as a "6.0/6.1/6.1S" version. The difference seems to be the voltage.

I was eyeing the one on the left in this picture, since it has the same shape as the barrel smoker I got. With some work I fitted that one neatly under one of the two rear hatches of the Panzer III for easy access. I could fit the second reservoir under the other rear hatch without a lot of trouble.

Name:	smoke.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	307511
                                        Either one. Both are of the newest generation.

Comment

Ok, so my hypothesis proved correct. Switching over the stock Taigen heating Element to a Kanthal coil with a few strands of silica wick, did the trick. Now she smokes at idle, and really clouds things up when you hammer the throttle:

Name:	20210405_171158.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	307536

Name:	20210405_173308.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	307538

You be the judge...

Attached Files