X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mato M36B1

This is my second Mato tank. My first was the King Tiger. I was very happy with it. When I found out that the board inside was a Clark's board, I was happier. So I gambled on getting one more. This one arrived today. The tracks are quite unique and the the machine gun is very nice! I will find out more about it in the next few days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5959.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	357198

Name:	IMG_5960.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	357199

Very cool!

Comment

David, let me know it goes. This might be the tank that'll cause me to get a Tamiya compatible system for battling.
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
        This is my second Mato tank. My first was the King Tiger. I was very happy with it. When I found out that the board inside was a Clark's board, I was happier. So I gambled on getting one more. This one arrived today. The tracks are quite unique and the the machine gun is very nice! I will find out more about it in the next few days.

Name:	IMG_5959.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	357198

Name:	IMG_5960.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	357199
        Those are T49 tracks. One of the best designs for off road use. VERY grippy and super strong. I prefer the T49 style for my M4s.

Comment

I had two mato metal chassis. One I built my jumbo onto the other I disposed of as fast as I could and eventually I rebuilt my jumbo over to a taigen. The Mato chassis is now just under a blow up tank prop as that is all they are good for IMHO.

Stick to henglong or Taigen, which is my preferred brand.
          RC tank parts and accessories I make
          www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

I tested the tank today. It ran just fine as a tank with the Clark board TK22 supposed to run. The nice thing is that the tank is already equipped with the IR bulb in the barrel and the IR receiver with light for me to installed anywhere on the turret. It can be battled with all of the Tamiya protocol tanks. I just need to modify a nice cover for the IR receiver. The barrel recoiled after the shot was fired instead of before as in the HL or the latest Torro tanks. I am quite satisfied with my new M36B1. I will start the paint work this week. I hope the accessories and decals arrive soon so I can bring it to battle in LA on 10/01.

Name:	IMG_5972.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	357292Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5963A.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	357293

Comment

I tested the tank today. It ran just fine as a tank with the Clark board TK22 supposed to run. The nice thing is that the tank is already equipped with the IR bulb in the barrel and the IR receiver with light for me to installed anywhere on the turret. It can be battled with all of the Tamiya protocol tanks. I just need to modify a nice cover for the IR receiver. The barrel recoiled after the shot was fired instead of before as in the HL or the latest Torro tanks. I am quite satisfied with my new M36B1. I will start the paint work this week. I hope the accessories and decals arrive soon so I can bring it to battle in LA on 10/01.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5972.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	357292Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5963A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.8 KB ID:	357293
              Do yourself a favor and use an actual Tamiya or LegoDEI IR receiver for it instead of trying to use the provided one shown. Those are spotty at reading hits ( kind of like the stock HL receivers) and just not reliable enough for club battling.

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                I had two mato metal chassis. One I built my jumbo onto the other I disposed of as fast as I could and eventually I rebuilt my jumbo over to a taigen. The Mato chassis is now just under a blow up tank prop as that is all they are good for IMHO.

Stick to henglong or Taigen, which is my preferred brand.
                I have two Matos as well. The Tiger 1 and Pz III. I really like them. Mato customer support is non-existent. The Pz III had some teething problems but over time have been resolved. I do put all of my tanks through their paces, so I expect some repairs and trouble shooting. One thing that wins me over with Mato and HL is the proportional speeds. I like the controls for both. I have 3 Taigens and like those for what they are. The "proportional" speed must be a skill set I have yet to master as they are run-aways in my diorama. I really do not like the turret elevation cycle. But they are a quality base and the recoil is a nice feature. End of day, I expect to enjoy all of them and love my Mato PzIII and Tiger.

Name:	image_50450689.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	357310

Comment

The wheels on the sherman will gaul up and seize. Mine did in the first battle. I then worked them loose with lots of effort and oiled them often but eventually most of them seized firm and I basically trashed the chassis.

The other problems Mato has is the metal their chassis is made of is what I considder a sub standard brittle pot metal. My chassis actually broke in a spot. A taigen would never do that.

The last problem is their gear boxes beside being very very slow, and not interchangeable with henglong or taigen, have bad quality control and the gears wobble on their axis while spinning.

Overall I have nothing good to say about Mato metal tanks and would never own one again.

Comment

Never being one to defer gratification, I negotiated a good price from a Toucan eBay retailer. There’s a lot of product there, so inventory must be high.

To my question regarding the IR Receiver. Will the Tamiya compatible LegoREI receiver accommodate the “hits decrease performance” feature? I’m primarily an HL man, ignorant of Clark stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                      The wheels on the sherman will gaul up and seize. Mine did in the first battle. I then worked them loose with lots of effort and oiled them often but eventually most of them seized firm and I basically trashed the chassis.

The other problems Mato has is the metal their chassis is made of is what I considder a sub standard brittle pot metal. My chassis actually broke in a spot. A taigen would never do that.

The last problem is their gear boxes beside being very very slow, and not interchangeable with henglong or taigen, have bad quality control and the gears wobble on their axis while spinning.

Overall I have nothing good to say about Mato metal tanks and would never own one again.
                      Your points are legit and metal quality is a concern. All good info. As I am 2 yrs plus into this hobby and still learning. There is no one else in proximity so I have yet to engage in battle solo. My fellow TC battle partner is a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by 761st View Post

My fellow TC battle partner is a beer.
                        Target or Wingman?

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post

Target or Wingman?

Hahahaha! Depends on how many beers.

Comment

Never being one to defer gratification, I negotiated a good price from a Toucan eBay retailer. There’s a lot of product there, so inventory must be high.

To my question regarding the IR Receiver. Will the Tamiya compatible LegoREI receiver accommodate the “hits decrease performance” feature? I’m primarily an HL man, ignorant of Clark stuff.
                            Yes the LegoDEI will work. It’s the control board that determines hit damage speed reduction and reload time. Lots of people use LegoDEI receivers with their Clark systems.

General note: One does have to program the Clark board for the appropriate damage speed reduction and firing rate to “match the Tamiya” for weight class.This is where a lot of people “fudge the numbers” intentionally or unintentionally and do not program speed reduction and firing rate correctly favoring toward minimal damage / reload time all the way to none (basically like a HL).

With HL the 6/6/LP rule compensates, but when someone has a Clark programmable control board and does not program it correctly (fairly), it does cause issues and is easily spotted during a battle.

Comment

Thanks R. I’ve heard & read about this, but until I put hands on and do it myself, the info sometimes doesn’t register. That’s basically why I’ve taken the plunge, as a learning experience. So would an M36 be classified as a medium, light or?

Oh, one other thing. Can it be programmed for a Heng Long configuration, turret on the left and drive on the right stick? My only experience with Mato was 10 years ago, and I have no idea what was inside, I just know it was kinda dorky.

Comment

Yes, Clark is just 4 channels you plug into a radio rx in any config you want.
                                Tamiya mode is easy to program so you don’t have to dig deep and program every value, like someone we know who does so their tanks won’t slow down.
                                I can help you with this, I have remote programmer I borrowed.

If you wanted to put your hands on one I could have brought you the junk chassis I have on the prop, it’s just as it was when I gave up on it because the wheels stopped turning and no amount of force would free them. It’s cast metal on cast metal…

I was unhappy with the chassis under my jumbo since I built it and the amount of service I had to do to keep the wheels free. I was so happy when I finally dumped it and put a taigen under it.
                                im sorry to be so negative on this when you guys have spent money on them, but I pride myself in knowing all things 1/16 Sherman because I buy everything and test it out. I had bought two mato metal chassis initially and when I learned what they were dumped the second fast without ever using it.
                                the one I still have is unusable.
                                besides those flaws they are crazy slow and you can’t change transmissions your stuck with mato, which are very sub standard in my experience.

Comment

Thanks R. I’ve heard & read about this, but until I put hands on and do it myself, the info sometimes doesn’t register. That’s basically why I’ve taken the plunge, as a learning experience. So would an M36 be classified as a medium, light or?

Oh, one other thing. Can it be programmed for a Heng Long configuration, turret on the left and drive on the right stick? My only experience with Mato was 10 years ago, and I have no idea what was inside, I just know it was kinda dorky.
                                  Bob it can be programmed as a light or medium. I like to run my Tamiya Sherman and a few other Tamiya tanks as a light tanks. Personal I’ll give up hits for faster firing any day. I have no fear of heavy tanks when running my light tanks. I consider heavy tanks sitting ducks against my light tanks.

Here is the BUT. The Mato M36 is VERY SLOW and TDs were not slow and used speed for defense. The 5/1 transmission which Mato uses is totally wrong for the M36 to fight as a light or even medium tank and will actually make you an easier target. 5/1 is best suited for Matos very heavy metal King Tiger or Tiger. You can get a bit more speed out of the 5/1 by upping the battery voltage, but not when using the basic Clark the tanks comes with. The basic Clark’s are not rated for over 7.2v.

Comment

I took the tank out to the backyard and tested it today. R99 was right. Both IR emitter and receiver only affected at 15 feet and not a foot further. I will order the IR set from Haojie then.
                                    For its speed, I think it is not slow as I observed when it ran. Regarding the wheels, I spun all 12 wheels with my fingers. They spun fast and loosely. Well I will find out in the near future . Anyway, I like the M36 tank, and I think only Mato makes it. With the amount of tanks in my fleet, I might only battle it once or twice a year.

Comment

I took the tank out to the backyard and tested it today. R99 was right. Both IR emitter and receiver only affected at 15 feet and not a foot further. I will order the IR set from Haojie then.
                                      For its speed, I think it is not slow as I observed when it ran. Regarding the wheels, I spun all 12 wheels with my fingers. They spun fast and loosely. Well I will find out in the near future . Anyway, I like the M36 tank, and I think only Mato makes it. With the amount of tanks in my fleet, I might only battle it once or twice a year.
                                      The problem with too many tanks is not getting to run them all as frequently as we would like.

Comment

My HL King Tiger has the DKT board inside. Is there a way to program the hits-speed-reduction for this board? Thx!

Comment

Working...
                                        X