Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris curran View Post

What's going on over at FB?
    FB politics and muppets basically. Social media is alotnof garbage for the most part.

Comment

I have not been on the FB page for this group, so now’t to do with me. To far to visit. I have left face book because of those reasons, and opinionated persons.

Comment

Originally posted by Meter Rat View Post
        I have not been on the FB page for this group, so now’t to do with me. To far to visit. I have left face book because of those reasons, and opinionated persons.
        A contraction I haven't seen before, "now't". I'll have to start using it! Maybe it's a Haggis term?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-17 065324.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	395020

Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post

A contraction I haven't seen before, "now't". I'll have to start using it! Maybe it's a Haggis term?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-17 065324.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	395020

😂😂😂

Bob, it’s pure Derbyshire. The county where I grew up, after leaving Scotland and before moving back. As in ‘owert and nowert, meaning anything or nothing. The collective noun for haggis is a “stooshie”

Comment

Originally posted by HDMM View Post

FB politics and muppets basically. Social media is alotnof garbage for the most part.
            Oh Yeah. All that.

Comment

Custom Russian Half Track I finished up recently. Going to add a few decals, that's about it. I built it using a JJRC Q60 truck for the frame, cab, front drive axle and transmission and a WPL E1 tracked vehicle for the traced portion. I shortened the E1 by about 1-1/4", used WPL metal track set (shortened), dual hobbywing 1060 esc's mixed with my Futaba 4PM radio, steering converted to servo, tail lights added and did a little dremel work to fit in a 3500 mah battery under the hood (to help put some more weight over the front axle), added a rear window into the cab, etc. A lot of trial and error and scratch building went into this project, but it came out pretty decent and drives well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	414201051_122117866514098443_2021473805335121803_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.1 KB ID:	395169

Click image for larger version  Name:	413967804_122117867114098443_6640379731817809970_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.4 KB ID:	395168

Click image for larger version  Name:	414620283_122117867210098443_782174605039362816_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.9 KB ID:	395167

Click image for larger version  Name:	414438746_122117867156098443_2569071264053799495_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.2 KB ID:	395170

Comment

Fantastic job. Just need to weather her up.
                Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Yes Excellent work Dan. My wife is sitting next to me and even said it's cool. But, green.

Comment

One of the short videos I made of the Halftrack one of it's first test runs outside.

Comment

Do the tracks help the steering? Brilliant work.

Comment

Do the tracks help the steering? Brilliant work.
                        Thank You. The steering is all done via the front axle, with the front axle being driven and using dual ESC's I can mix the ratio's between the track drive and front axle drive to adjust for the difference in final drive ratios. By doing this, I have the front axle set slightly faster, like overdrive in a rock crawler, this helps it to steer much better. Also which helps is that the JJRC front axle has a differential instead of being locked, this also aids in steering. Although there are MFU's, like Clark that have a half track mode, there was no way to account for the different final drive ratios between the front and rea, so dual ESC mixing was really the best way to get this done. Actually was a lot cheaper than buying aftermarket MFU as well. I have about $200 total into this entire project.

Comment

Can you provide the parts list for the ESC you purchased? Sorry if it is an inconvenience. I like what you did very much
                          Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DANOEL View Post

Thank You. The steering is all done via the front axle, with the front axle being driven and using dual ESC's I can mix the ratio's between the track drive and front axle drive to adjust for the difference in final drive ratios. By doing this, I have the front axle set slightly faster, like overdrive in a rock crawler, this helps it to steer much better. Also which helps is that the JJRC front axle has a differential instead of being locked, this also aids in steering. Although there are MFU's, like Clark that have a half track mode, there was no way to account for the different final drive ratios between the front and rea, so dual ESC mixing was really the best way to get this done. Actually was a lot cheaper than buying aftermarket MFU as well. I have about $200 total into this entire project.
                            Thank you for the reply.

If I read this right, you have an esc for the front axel and motor? And an esc for the rear motor drive? Like an electric differential between the two. I presume that both rear tracks drive at the same speed, and you cannot use them, like a tank to assist in the steering? Hence, why you said about half track boards.

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

If I read this right, you have an esc for the front axel and motor? And an esc for the rear motor drive? Like an electric differential between the two. I presume that both rear tracks drive at the same speed, and you cannot use them, like a tank to assist in the steering? Hence, why you said about half track boards.
                              Correct, one HW ESC controls the front motor / transmission to power the front axle, the second HW ESC powers the 2 track motors in parallel. The tracks don't assist in steering. Technically a halftrack doesn't quite work the way a tank does, they use a differential to drive the tracks and then use a brake to slow one down to assist in steering (US half tracks anyways). I wanted to try and use a spare truck differential to drive the tracks, but there just wasn't enough room and still have the proportions decent.

Comment

Originally posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
                                Can you provide the parts list for the ESC you purchased? Sorry if it is an inconvenience. I like what you did very much
                                I used (2) Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 ESC's, can get them on Amazon for about $22 each. I had one on hand, so just needed to pick up a second one to do this project. Tried to keep this very budget friendly. Also running one of the Amazon aux lighting control switch to turn the ights on and off via a spare channel on the transmitter.

Name:	image0 (2).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	395486

Name:	image1 (1).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	395487

Name:	image2 (1).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	395485

Comment

Originally posted by DANOEL View Post

Correct, one HW ESC controls the front motor / transmission to power the front axle, the second HW ESC powers the 2 track motors in parallel. The tracks don't assist in steering. Technically a halftrack doesn't quite work the way a tank does, they use a differential to drive the tracks and then use a brake to slow one down to assist in steering (US half tracks anyways). I wanted to try and use a spare truck differential to drive the tracks, but there just wasn't enough room and still have the proportions decent.
                                  Excellent confirmation. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                  X