P-38 - The Ultimate EPO Lightning

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official RotorScale AS350 Alpine Yellow and Red 450 Size Helicopter Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

Welcome rotorhead! The mechanics are a clone of the Trex 450 SeV2. All of the servos are 333hz and 1520us.
    Great, Thank you for the fast reply, glad to be a part of this forum!:Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
      9 packs through my AS-350 so far today (I've lost track of the flight count, but have over an hour and a half airtime on the "odometer" timer in my Taranis). After a few more packs this evening, it will be time to move on and start focusing on setting up the 450 Airwolf!
      Hi ridgerunner, what head speeds are you running with this? I am installing a HobbyWing 60A V4 Esc in mine though, I have one in my Trex 470LP and love it. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
        ... The mechanics are a clone of the Trex 450 SeV2. ...
        No, the Rotorscale mechanics are a clone of the Trex 450 Sport V1 - (converted to FBL - and is likely made by Tarot). I researched this pretty thoroughly. You can find the Sport V1 Align manual (listed as: "TREX 450 SPORT FB Super Combo") on this page of Align manuals provided by enterprise hobbies:

Comment

Originally posted by RotorHead19 View Post

Hi ridgerunner, what head speeds are you running with this? I am installing a HobbyWing 60A V4 Esc in mine though, I have one in my Trex 470LP and love it. Thanks
          On my B222, I installed an 11 tooth pinion on the Gartt 1800kV motor and am running between 2200 and 2800 rpm on the main rotor (I like running lowish headspeeds).

Comment

On my B222, I installed an 11 tooth pinion on the Gartt 1800kV motor and am running between 2200 and 2800 rpm on the main rotor (I like running lowish headspeeds).
            Thanks again! I am with you on this, I also like the lower head speeds, makes sense on a scale heli.:Cool:

Comment

No, the Rotorscale mechanics are a clone of the Trex 450 Sport V1 - (converted to FBL - and is likely made by Tarot). I researched this pretty thoroughly. You can find the Sport V1 Align manual (listed as: "TREX 450 SPORT FB Super Combo") on this page of Align manuals provided by enterprise hobbies:
              Thanks for this link, I understand alot better now! I kept seeing the two gears main and the autorotation, thinking this is a torque tube why do they show a belt, and now from the manual I see how they do the belt system, makes sense now:Whew: The newer helis have come along way, I also noticed these don't have thrust bearings in the tail grips, I started helis about 4 years ago, all my heli's have a front belt pulley, and thrust bearings, I wish they made a scale fuselage for my 470LP that would be really awesome!:)I am going to look at it when it arrives this Friday, and see if the main frame of the 470 will fit in the fuselage, I may need to cut the boom down and use the 325 blades or maybe a bit longer, the 470 is a 380 heli its close and may be able to modify to fit, I also may be able to cut the slot in the tail piece longer to accommodate the longer boom of the 470, we shall see.

Comment

What size is the motor shaft, 3.17? I found one, as I would like to put one on mine as well, but didn't want to purchase it yet until I new the shaft size. Thanks:Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by RotorHead19 View Post

What size is the motor shaft, 3.17? I found one, as I would like to put one on mine as well, but didn't want to purchase it yet until I new the shaft size. Thanks:Cool:
                  Yes, 3.17mm.

Ridgerunner, thanks for the correction on the mechanics, my mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief58D View Post
                    I'm seriously considering adding this to my next order as part of my re-entry into electric helicopters -
                    and i would really like to scale this one up a bit!

Were the STL files for the 3DPUP parts Alpha mentioned ever made available?

Thanks!
                    RR

Hi Chief58D, as you requested, attached are the adjusted files for the AS350. The LED mounts are now affixed with screws instead of glue.

If you had any questions about specific 3DPUP files, where they go, or how they're attached, just post and one of us can chime in. I titled the files with a prefix that states which general area, then you can cross reference these photos to confirm the exact location.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190704_165907.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.9 KB ID:	204294Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190704_165856.jpg Views:	0 Size:	255.4 KB ID:	204295
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190704_165646.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.3 KB ID:	204293Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190704_170038.jpg Views:	0 Size:	301.0 KB ID:	204296

The LEDs install very simply. More detail in one of my earlier posts on Page 1. Now, both belly LEDs and the Searchlight are screw-on, and the searchlight is also adjustable for angle.

I'm still working on the exhaust and static winch.
                    Attached Files
                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post

Hi Chief58D, as you requested, attached are the adjusted files for the AS350. The LED mounts are now affixed with screws instead of glue.

If you had any questions about specific 3DPUP files, where they go, or how they're attached, just post and one of us can chime in. I titled the files with a prefix that states which general area, then you can cross reference these photos to confirm the exact location.
                      The LEDs install very simply. More detail in one of my earlier posts on Page 1. Now, both belly LEDs and the Searchlight are screw-on, and the searchlight is also adjustable for angle.

I just love what you did to this it looks fantastic! So how do I go about getting these great add on scale features? I dont have a 3D printer and have zero knowledge of 3D printing. Is there a way for a person to be able to purchase these? Also how do you wire it for the LED's? I am totally new to doing any of this scale work, but have been flying and building helis for about 4 years. What kind of paint did you use to do the detail work on the hinges and rivits? Thanks so much:Cool:

Comment

Alpha

Thanks for posting those updates!
                        Guess it's time for me to finally get my 3D printer online and start printing parts!! :P
                        Appreciate all the GREAT feedback and support from all the folks that have chimed in on this thread :Cool:

Happy July 4th everyone!!

RR

Comment

Happy 4th to you Chief thanks for serving our Country, my dad is also retired military, 22 years AF. Happy 4th to everyone else as well!!!!!:Stars::Stars::Stars:

Comment

So I disassembled the blade grips and greased them and I still have a lot of play in the blade grips so bad that I can't get zero pitch correctly with my Brain2, are you guys experiencing the same problems and if so how are you correcting this? Out at the blade tips its exaggerated and have 15mm where I can move the blade tip up from where it's resting. Pulling them horizontally its good, but I can move the grip left/right, up/down, when looking into the blade grip where the screw is it looks like the housing where the bearings are is too big for the bearings and can see a gap all around when moving it.

Comment

do you have a video for this?

Comment

Originally posted by ruel View Post
                                do you have a video for this?
                                I have a 10 second video on my camera, but it says its too big to load? I flew the airframe only, I put some 450 skids on it, and it actually flew ok, I was surprised so I put it in the fuselage and have not got a chance to fly it with it on due to weather. I did notify Motion on this and he said that this was normal and the smaller heli's have play and its acceptable, I had a 450 a few years ago and it did not have as much play as this one. My 470LP has Zero play in the blade grips and is smooth as butter. I did find another head for it online and when I received it, I checked it and it has no play and is perfect. Only thing is the screw where it goes through the mainshaft sits higher than the stock! I cant seem to win with this, and trying to find parts for it is a real bugger, there are so many different versions of the old 450 flybarless versions, I was afraid this might happen due to Motion using a 14 year old airframe. The head I got is a Tarot version for Trex and the hole needs to be 11mm down from the top of the shaft, for the one I got to work. I may try and drill the main shaft but then I have to take the whole heli apart to do this, so I am going to wait and see how it flys. I also noticed Motion has 8 of these left for sale and they are not selling to fast, almost wish I did not buy it now due to the old airframe. There are quite a few of the Tarot 450 pro versions out there to buy new, but getting parts seems difficult.

Comment

Try here - I use them for all my Tarot needs. Excellent service, reliable delivery and I have never known them to be out of stock of any part that I have ordered. Been using them for a few years now - all genuine Tarot parts.

The play that you have described is excessive and unacceptable......... it most certainly is not 'normal', despite what you have been told!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone 7 View Post
                                    Try here - I use them for all my Tarot needs. Excellent service, reliable delivery and I have never known them to be out of stock of any part that I have ordered. Been using them for a few years now - all genuine Tarot parts.

The play that you have described is excessive and unacceptable......... it most certainly is not 'normal', despite what you have been told!
                                    Thanks for the link, I will check it out. On the play I agree, out at the blade tip from where its resting to raising it up I have 15mm play!!!!!! The thrust washers and bearings are installed correctly, the main bearings wont even stay in the blade grips if I turn the blade grip up the sealed bearings just fall out under there own weight. They definitely machined it wrong, there should be a little resistance putting them in and on all my other helis this is how they are and you have to press them in a bit.

Comment

Sounds almost as if they are mismatched components - grips often have one larger and one smaller diameter main bearing. Perhaps you have a smaller bearing where the larger ought to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone 7 View Post
                                        Sounds almost as if they are mismatched components - grips often have one larger and one smaller diameter main bearing. Perhaps you have a smaller bearing where the larger ought to be?
                                        I did check that with my digital calipers and the larger diameter race is in first, when it's all tight and looking into the blade grip around the bearings there is an obvious gap and the grip housing moves around the bearings,its about 1/2mm gap. I also switched the two races around, small in and larger out just to see and no change. Typically the larger race is normally in, thats how my Trex 470 is. I flew it with the fuselage on a couple days ago and not pleased, it bobs all over the place nose to tail pretty sure its due to the play, as I mentioned earlier out at the blade tips I have 15mm travel due to play. Not happy at all with this. I noticed ALZRC has a Devil 450 that looks really nice much better and nicer design than this old frame, but now I would have to pay another $125 to get the AS 350 right! Not a bad price for the kit though. There are quite a few threads on there other helis and videos, people seem to be quite impressed with the quality and performace of them. https://alpha-rc-heli.com/shop/devil...it-alzrc-copy/

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20190704_165907.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.9 KB ID:	204294Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20190704_165856.jpg Views:	0 Size:	255.4 KB ID:	204295
                                          Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20190704_165646.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.3 KB ID:	204293Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20190704_170038.jpg Views:	0 Size:	301.0 KB ID:	204296

Thanks for the files, now to find someone to print them.

Any luck on the exhaust?

Comment

Working...
                                          X