Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks hugh. It's basically the internals from the gripen and mig TV units. You can order them from Asia but it's a freewing part so motion might even have access to them.

Honestly after flying it, I can see why they don't make VTd sport jets. Yes it's more manoeuvrable, but compared to a flanker, fulcrum, raptor etc with their big lifting bodies, the Avanti doesn't work as well in post stall. Still a fun little experiment :)

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
      Thanks hugh. It's basically the internals from the gripen and mig TV units. You can order them from Asia but it's a freewing part so motion might even have access to them.

Honestly after flying it, I can see why they don't make VTd sport jets. Yes it's more manoeuvrable, but compared to a flanker, fulcrum, raptor etc with their big lifting bodies, the Avanti doesn't work as well in post stall. Still a fun little experiment :)
      Figured it must be from one of those 2 birds. I don't yet have much experience with TV as the Mig is my first but thought it was very creative of you to put it in the Avanti. One of our club members, Pablo Fernandez, designed and licensed the Havok and builds/sells large turbines under his company Elite Aerosports. He is also probably one of the best "jet" 3D pilots on the planet and at every big jet event, including Top Gun, they always give him a slot for an exhibition flight. The majority of his large sport jets he builds and designs all have thrust vectoring which allows him to hover, do rolling harriers, etc. like Jase Dusia does with his 3D prop planes. When he flies at our field (almost every day) we just put our TX down and sit and watch him with our jaws on the floor. I must have seen over a hundred of his flights and it always amazes me that a jet can do what he does. It's unbelievable what he can make a large jet aircraft do and the TV makes most of it possible for him, but then those birds are huge compared to our Avanti's so I was wondering how well it worked for you. Thanks for the video and info!

Hope I'm not boring anyone, but this is just one of Pablo's flights on a "Sport" jet he designed with TV he calls the Wraith. It's painted in the Thunderbird scheme, but it's frame is still technically a sport jet. Thought some might get a kick out of seeing it.

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I'm familiar with his work, what a privilege to fly at his home club.

I guess gravity works a little differently with 40lbs of thrust and the efflux of a gas turbine!

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
          I'm familiar with his work, what a privilege to fly at his home club.

I guess gravity works a little differently with 40lbs of thrust and the efflux of a gas turbine!
          It really is, and it's great to see him bring out some of his new designs and models to test fly, getting a free "sneak preview". He's also one of the most humble and nicest guys I've met, more than happy to answer any of my numerous brainless questions and willing to offer any help he can. We have a running joke that whenever I bring out my Avanti, I loudly complain to him in front of other spectators that his Havok design is such a piece of compared to my much superior Avanti. Watching him fly is exhilarating, however, we all soon get just slightly depressed knowing we'll never be able to do half of what he does so effortlessly. Kinda like Butch felt in the following clip:

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20210817_205046.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	322280 I gave it some much needed Nav. lights !

Comment

• SEND IT!! #MIG-29
              Attached Files

Comment

• Hello again from New Zealand,

Thought I would share a video this time, flying my Bronco with aSend FPV in hot pursuit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daily Warbird View Post
                  Hello again from New Zealand,

Thought I would share a video this time, flying my Bronco with aSend FPV in hot pursuit.

https://youtu.be/xdelpPxVdXY
                  Nice looking field! Great footage and seems like you got about as close as possible, maybe about 1" away a couple times! That Bronco pilot must have had half his blood running to his head with all the inverted flight. Always enjoy listening to Creedence as well!
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• The drone pilot wanted to try flying through the tail booms of the Bronco, maybe next time :-)

Comment

• A couple of recent videos that may be interesting for the show:

On the first I crashed my MiG-29 as a result of the off-thrustline and approaching runway a bit too slow.
                      Mind the plane has been repaired since and made a lot of flights.

Took the chance to make a bit of parody and some visual special effects for dramatism and comedy...
                      At the end of the video there's a compilation of crash sequences edited slightly different to highlight different aspects of the event.

On the second video, I take the Thrust Vectoring Gripen out for a single flight, displaying pretty radical figures and showing my hands on the Tx to give an idea of what it looks like to do the maneuvers I do, in case that's helpful to anyone! ;)
                      The video plays first in slow-mo then repeats in real time with no music.

mshagg That avanti TV conversion looks very interesting, have you installed a gyro on the nozzle at least though?
                      Post stall maneuvering can already be a bit squirrely on jets that are meant to deal in post stall. Sport jet designs usually don't meet that design criteria so adding a gyro to boost stability is more than warranted. You can see succesful TV sportjet designs in the Sebart AreS for example... but really need to add one or a few gyros to make the most out of those. Otherwise, the plane will be constantly stalling wings and be very difficult to control past certain angles of attack.

Comment

• My last Havok Racer outing, just love flying the Havok Racer

Jeff in LA USA...

Comment

• Originally posted by Daily Warbird View Post
                          Hello again from New Zealand,

https://youtu.be/xdelpPxVdXY
                          Unreal. That was a fantastic watch! Perfect music and some epic close-ups. My favorite was the drone moving to the side as the OV-10 rolled out of inverted.

Comment

• The close orbits in particular were pretty good!

Comment

• James thanks for showing the video of my F-16 on todays show. That's one of my older videos but surprised you haven't seen any of my videos earlier. Don't make that many of them though, too busy flying and usually just one of new models and the quality is not to the level of some, but do have a few.

My F-18 Canadian, loaded below, happens to be 5:03 if you're looking for a 5 minute video for the start of the show, , just saying!

There is also the A-10 Arctic Thunder video: https://youtu.be/T7pcwobBDRA
                              The F-4 with upgraded 12 blade video: https://youtu.be/5i_rQBWYe00
                              Or RudyD54 flying his Mig-29, without/with TV. The second half of the video with TV engaged is the best, watching/videoing him fly it all the time convinced me to get a Mig myself: https://youtu.be/6Cjm_HBoUuA

Rudy and I usually fly at least once a week or more, but this summer, for a variety of reasons including the weather has been somewhat of a disaster. But hopefully a video on the new Mig-29 "Cobra" and the F-18 "Tiger Meet" will be coming soon, along with one on Rudy's 8S F-16 Thunderbird!

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• I had a chance to fly the Black Horse Do-335 at the Warbirds over Chenango Bridge event this last weekend. My wife was able to get a pretty good video.

As I mentioned before, this plane has a very unique sound. Most of it is generated by the rear prop positioned behind four flying surfaces.

We were dealing with a fairly stiff crosswind. I wound up with a bit more of a flare than planned. Luckily, I had reinforced the lower rear fin. No damage.

Comment

Name:	DSC_0054 (2).JPG
Views:	245
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	323659Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0064 (2).JPG
Views:	239
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	323660

Comment

Name:	IMG-20210829-WA0010.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	323678Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210829-WA0004.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	323679Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210829-WA0011.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	323680Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210829-WA0009.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	323681Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210829-WA0005.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	323682 Hi James & the MRC crew,

We are a small club only in Belgium, but we have a highly contagious EDF virus

Here's some T-33 fun.
                                    https://www.youtube.com/icarusthe2nd

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashle roachclip View Post
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0054 (2).JPG
Views:	245
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	323659Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0064 (2).JPG
Views:	239
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	323660
                                      I didnt know Motion r.c. had bought Horizon Hobby !!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post

I didnt know Motion r.c. had bought Horizon Hobby !!!!!
                                        I forgot what site I was on !

Comment

• More MiG action ( :

Comment

Working...
                                          X