Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This conversion was done some time ago, but as the X45 is smaller and lighter than a P20, it opens up alot more options. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRR_22-5CUo

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4521.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.3 KB ID:	211476Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4522.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	211477Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4520.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	211478 I removed the wood plate, then flattened out the floor in the back, an 8oz nail polish remover bottle is a nice fit in the well, on top of that is a 16oz tank, the top tank feeds the bottom. So far 4min mixed throttle only uses the 16oz, i like the extra reserve in case I have to loiter, out of fuel is no good.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4514.jpg
Views:	2336
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	211484 Oops i missed these pics, using the cut out foam pieces i trimmed them to fit as best i could and foam tac'd them back in place Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4508.JPG
Views:	2287
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	211480Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4511.jpg
Views:	2289
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	211481Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4514.jpg
Views:	2294
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	211482
        Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_44550.jpg Views:	3 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	211497 Getting close, I used the foil tape to line the engine compartment. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4526.JPG Views:	0 Size:	144.6 KB ID:	211486Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4525.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.8 KB ID:	211487Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4528.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.3 KB ID:	211488Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4527.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	211489 My UAT is a small gas filter that i Areopoxy (hysol) glued brass tube to reduce nipple size for fuel tubing, I also very carefully drilled and glued a brass fill tube into the filter body DON'T poke the filter Element, they work great just make sure ALL of the air is out of the down stream side.

Comment

So that's about it Flight performance is very good. C G of 88mm is a good start because everybody is different. I'm using a 3000 NiMH 7 cell truck pack for ECU and a voltage regulator for the receiver. I have 4 of these truck packs ($16.00) each (take that lipo/ life) and use them in my thurbinator as well. The 8.4v pack and 4 each lead .45cal slugs in the nose to balance mine at 88mm. The plane dry is 8.8 lbs add 20oz to that for ready to fly weight. No flaps on take off, and take off flap on landing, Pitch is easy 5% expo, the roll is sensitive 30%expo JR 10x radio. Will post more pics as i get the back of plane cleaned up,. Remember it's a toy not a scale master entry. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4535.JPG Views:	0 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	211493

Comment

Originally posted by ms200a View Post
              So that's about it Flight performance is very good. C G of 88mm is a good start because everybody is different. I'm using a 3000 NiMi 7 cell truck pack for ECU and a voltage regulator for the receiver. I have 4 of these truck packs ($16.00) each (take that lipo/ life) and use them in my thurbinator as well. The 8.4v pack and 4 each lead .45cal slugs in the nose to balance mine at 88mm. The plane dry is 8.8 lbs add 20oz to that for ready to fly weight. No flaps on take off, and take off flap on landing, Pitch is easy 5% expo roll is sensitive 30%expo JR 10x radio. Will post more pics as i get the back of plane cleaned up,. Remember it's a toy not a scale master entry. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4535.JPG
Views:	2371
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	211493
              Well done and thanks for the detail pics on your bird. I was thinking on ding the FW F-4 and the F-14 with two turbines

Comment

Also If you guys want me to put pics up of my FW F-16 T-Bird or F-22 or HSD F-16 let me know. I have them up on other threads but this one probably is a better more focused category. Just let me know and I'll do it.

Comment

ms200a, great work, looking forward to hear how it performs. I assume you have gone through all the upgrades/fixes this model needs (thinking about the tailerons primarily)?

As for conversions, I'm sure most are familiar with it by now, but link to my A-10 conversion is in my signature. Tons of pictures, videos etc to be found there. The model is still going strong, but not flying her as often these days. After 165 electric flights, and another 80 on kero, I needed a break and fly something different for a while.

Maiden flight from about 3:30 in.
                  Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

Originally posted by Scale Master View Post
                    Also If you guys want me to put pics up of my FW F-16 T-Bird or F-22 or HSD F-16 let me know. I have them up on other threads but this one probably is a better more focused category. Just let me know and I'll do it.
                    Go for it imo. Seeing other people's builds is always interesting and valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie1 View Post
                      Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and only just found this topic! I have now converted at least eight EDF jets to turbine and currently own two P20's, two K30's and one K45. I sold all of my large turbine jets to concentrate on small jets only and my latest will be a Freewing F14 with a K30 mounted underneath, it as shown in the video. I also have a tail mounted P20 in a Freewing F86 , and it flies great. My other P20 is in a Hobbyking Skysword using a small dual wall pipe that I make myself. I also make all my own tanks. The other K30 is in a Sebart mini Avanti, and this one is probably my favourite jet!. The K45 is in a Taft Viper, which also flies great. Other conversions have been the Freewing SU35, Yak130 Venum and the F104 Starfighter, and while all flew OK, I converted them back to EDF and sold them. Composite jets include the CMP Hawk and Couger, and while thet flew well, generally composite jets end up heavier than the foam equivalent. Generally speaking, a EDF converted to turbine will be about the same weight but will be around 600 grams lighter by the end of the flight. Both the P20 and the K30 weigh one kilogram with about 6-7 mins of fuel. The F14 will actually be lighter than the EDF version because you are removing to large batteries, two EDF's and two speed controllers. Some pilots are using 900 milliamp 3S LiFe batteries on the K30, and this good for at least two flights. I was told recently that Kingtech have sold over 350 K30's, so expect to see many more turbine powered EDF jets! I'm only guessing, but the P20 is about equivalent to a hot 8S setup, while the K30 is about a 12S power. There is also the Kolibri range but there is no backup here in Australia, or agent, whereas the K30/K45/K70 engines have great support and don't really cost that much. Here are links to videos, but same may require you to be on Facebook to view. There are many others out there, if you want to go down this path, and I for one, are absolutely hooked on this type of model jet modeling! I have many other pics of my jets and tanks, if any one is interested.

2.5K views, 102 likes, 5 loves, 4 comments, 10 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Tony Hung: 承樸兄周末幸福的小確幸。 Freewing F-22 with K-30G 攝影:小潘兄

https://www.facebook.com/tony.hong.5...1203355225936/
                      May I ask how the heck you solved the tank challenge on the 104? Been wanting to convert one myself, but having a very hard time seeing how to get a decent size tank anywhere near the CG, since the wheel bay steals so much room right there.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by janmb View Post

May I ask how the heck you solved the tank challenge on the 104? Been wanting to convert one myself, but having a very hard time seeing how to get a decent size tank anywhere near the CG, since the wheel bay steals so much room right there.
                          Fitting a tank was a challenge in the F104!! Basically, I made the front part of the fuselage removable, cut out lot's of foam and had two tanks on top of each other, right over the CG. This gave me 550mls, enough for 5-6 mins with a P20. These pics hopefully explain how I did it, but even though it flew really well, it is NOT a relaxing jet to fly, very un-forgiving. I eventually converted it back to EDF and sold it. The fuselage was probably a lot stronger than stock, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie1 View Post
                            Fitting a tank was a challenge in the F104!! Basically, I made the front part of the fuselage removable, cut out lot's of foam and had two tanks on top of each other, right over the CG. This gave me 550mls, enough for 5-6 mins with a P20. These pics hopefully explain how I did it, but even though it flew really well, it is NOT a relaxing jet to fly, very un-forgiving. I eventually converted it back to EDF and sold it. The fuselage was probably a lot stronger than stock, as well.
                            Thanks!

Yes, I know the tank placement must have been a challenge, but your solution seems great.

As for the model itself, I'm very aware (have been flying one for a while). Will definitely consider converting it, using your tank solution.

I've been looking for a way to utilize the space behind the wheel well as well (since there's tons of available volume there), but that would require forward and aft tanks being drained in parallel, in a very controlled fashion, so that would a lot of sensors, and controlled valves. Essentially bound to go wrong and die miserably as soon as the attempt of controlling cg shift fails lol

Comment

Originally posted by janmb View Post

Go for it imo. Seeing other people's builds is always interesting and valuable.
                              Okay I will do it!

Comment

Updating F-18 fuel system from 24oz to 32oz . Stacking 2 16oz dubro tanks. should give solid 5min flights with 3min reserve. maybe more. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4559.jpg
Views:	2097
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	213332

Comment

Has anyone done a conversion of the FW 90mm F-15??

A lot of room in there!

Comment

Name:	f-18 at lake bed.jpg
Views:	2242
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	214477 F-18 last weekend video by Tony
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWn3...hOx4b78XX5-Igc

Comment

Name:	BA7CD050-4D54-4F32-8AB4-05CF60304ADE.jpeg
Views:	2089
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	216457Click image for larger version

Name:	09604E68-D91B-4448-B62A-D86D6FB91599.jpeg
Views:	2071
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	216460 So now that the F-18 is up and running it’s time to convert the F-4.
                                      Step 1 was to remove the turkey feathers and then hollow out the center of the fuse to allow for a heat shield and pipe.
                                      Using 1/64 ply to make the heat shield, I rolled up a 90mm tube, then used aluminum tape on the inside and outside seams. The tube will be glued with foam-tac in the front and back.
                                      Next will be installing turbine pipe anchor points, and fabrication of the heat shield for tail section.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Got a little more done on the F-4 heat sheil Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4652.jpg
Views:	2071
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	216630 d Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4654.JPG
Views:	1995
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	216628Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4651.jpg
Views:	1977
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	216629

Comment

Time to put some fire in the Freewing T-33 hoping to maiden soon
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X