Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolutely, gotta have the ballistic punch to get the ballistic speed

Comment

• Well, started working on this, settled on 10' span. The mid section is cut as well as the leading edges. Tomorrow I will keep cutting the ribs down the line

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
        Well, started working on this, settled on 10' span. The mid section is cut as well as the leading edges. Tomorrow I will keep cutting the ribs down the line
        10’ ft span? That is going to be a monster!! Can’t wait to see it take shape!

Comment

• Yes Indeed! I was stuck between 8-12 foot so split the difference

Comment

Yes Indeed! I was stuck between 8-12 foot so split the difference
            That's a flying wing ,I think they use only flaps & ailerons an use them both in together for turning an banking!....:Cool:

It huge!....

Comment

• I'm gonna use drag rudder and elevons as I did in the beginning. Maybe with it being so big I can add the details I wanted to in the beginning.

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                10’ ft span? That is going to be a monster!! Can’t wait to see it take shape!
                I'm gonna try to have it set up for next grapevine warbird meet

Comment

• Bigger IS better :o) Good luck !!
                  rc flyin addict

Comment

I'm gonna try to have it set up for next grapevine warbird meet
                    I will definitely be looking forward to seeing it there! If you want a smooth runway for the maiden, the club door is open! At this size, it will have one heck of a presence in the air.

Comment

• Sounds great! I might have to take you up on that! :)

Comment

• Well general shape is set

Comment

Well general shape is set

Is it going to be a flat wing or is it going to have some dihedral in it?

Is it also going to have a stronger rib & structural framing to it or just foam?

Comment

• In some ways, swept back leading edge will act much like dihedral even with a flat wing.

A wing gets most of its strength from structure near the wing skin (or the skin itself) Main thing done by the foam between the skins is to maintain the spacing between the skins. (whatever skin you use...)

Adding a packing tape skin (or Doculam, Monokote... any covering) to a foam wing adds a huge amount of stiffness and strength.
                            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Well the idea is coming together. Will be starting the fine tuning with the sander and stuff. Joining setups all the fun stuff... after that get the electronics laid out. Obviously nothing is glued here, just pack taped together just to get an idea of the layout

Comment

• And it will have 2 c.f. spars and a after skinning will be glassed

Comment

• Also thinking the 20° sweep along with 5° washout will make this bird plenty stable. Not to mention pretty darn fast!

Comment

Well the idea is coming together. Will be starting the fine tuning with the sander and stuff. Joining setups all the fun stuff... after that get the electronics laid out.
                                    Sweet! Its definitely taking shape!

Comment

• cool :Smug:
                                      rc flyin addict

Comment

And it will have 2 c.f. spars and a after skinning will be glassed
                                        Consider skinning in 1/64 aircraft plywood. Potentially cheaper and lighter than glassing over something.

I took a kit intended for 1/16 balsa wing skins over foam and skinned it with 1/64 inch ply, replaced the balsa LE with white OAK. and came out significantly lighter than the normal for that model's wings (monokote covered in both cases, no fiberglass)
                                        Because it was a slope soaring racer, I had to ballast up to get enough weight to be competitive. (the planes were perfect at 18.25 oz, heavier or lighter was slower.) It was the fastest plane on the slope, beating the planes build by the designer of the kit. (who flew at our site)

And the wing was MUCH stronger and stiffer then the balsa sheeted ones.
                                        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Hmm 1/64 ply... I'm definitely going to look into that!

Comment

Working...
                                          X