Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing the best I can with a sander and pocket knife lol. Actually I'm not kidding I really am only using a palm sander and pocket knife. :Straight-Face:

Comment

Keep on whittling uncle Jed. Looking dang good rifleman.
      Dewey l

Comment

Hahaha indeed I shall, I got a few parts in as UPS showed up tonight. I'll be able to fix up the drag rudders tomorrow hopefully. At least the linkages.

Comment

I looked up fiber glassing on youtube. Did not know you could get such a nice finish with overlaying! What weight FG are you using? The 2 or 4 ounce looks like it fits perfectly into contours and edges. I've heard of using poly clear coat instead of epoxy. I wonder how well that works. Doc

Comment

I got 1.5 oz and I'm using the polyacrillic, it so far is great on my rudders

Comment

I was looking for .75oz but couldn't find any that had the area coverage I needed for this so that's why I went with 1.5

Comment

Originally posted by mr.frankenjet View Post
                heres some of the glass work, really stoked about your project, great plane.
                Hey, I have a really quick question, how many layers of glass are you using on your planes? I went with 3 on the rudder surfaces.

Comment

3 coats sounds about right, enough to fill the weave. I use a foam brush to apply. If you glue (3m spray 77) some 400 grit paper on some semi ridged foam it makes a great sanding block, a little water and you can wet sand, this seemed to work the best. avoid over sanding - heating the foam as it will begin to distort it. you can use a flat latex paint as a primer and wet sand that as well as it's ez to remove and fills the weave well. Avoid too much build up of anything as weight can become a factor, the process only improves the surface durability, it will not really get hard like epoxy but it makes a strong smooth skin.Get the lightest cloth (3/4 oz) you can, use hair spray on the cloth before you cut it (with sharp sewing scissors or pizza wheel fabric cutter) the spray keeps the cloth manageable to cut and position.
                  good luck !
                  rc flyin addict

Comment

Thanks! I appreciate the information. Can't wait to get the body work started :)

Comment

I can't find anything less than 1 oz. Where did you find 3/4 oz.? Doc

Comment

Here's where I got my 1.5 oz... http://www.fiberglasssite.com
                        btw: I'm doing a redesign on the motor pods to get the round shape defined as in the original plane and also incorporate the exhaust. Should look alot more scale when done. Also figured out my cooling channels for the ESC. More to come this evening :)

Comment

here is a source for the cloth,takes some time don't rush it. Great for ocd types like me, this will turn boredom into tedium :o)

rc flyin addict

Comment

No rush, just have all day to work. Something I never thought would happen to me so young... Well I guess life isn't always fair. So I find something to bide my time

Comment

Dang, man! I wish you the best!!! What do you call an obsession with buying and playing with model planes?... I'm serious!...Really. I just bought an E-flite Commander. I have no idea where I'll put the thing! Doc

Comment

Nice, I know that space issue so well. I hear good things about that plane though.

Comment

looking forward to seeing the progress, hang in there and good luck
                                  rc flyin addict

Comment

Copy that, will do

Comment

I have a slight problem with my landing gear... What's the best option to shorten up the nose gear?

Comment

On a positive note these turned out just as I wanted. I'll be making fiberglass cowlings to cover the motor to the spinner to complete these pods

Comment

Well fixed it somewhat... Pulled the spring out of the strut. But it sits correctly now.

Comment

Working...
                                          X