Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome rifleman, I'm working on a wing myself but I'm using the Opterra and a single 80mm edf and I'll have real rudders! That's an ambitious project with split rudders! Hope you have someone video your maiden flight, we are on the edge of our seat for that!

Comment

I have shaved down the base ends of struts to shorten them but since your grub screw is already at the top you would have to re-tap it which might be tricky on such a small tube.If you have a drill press and a good tap set you could attempt it. You could also cut it then use jb weld to put in the pin but then it becomes un-serviceable. Also you could pick a new front strut, flightline me262 shorter ? she's looking good !
      rc flyin addict

Comment

Nice work! It's really taking shape now.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I thought about cutting it. The problem I found is the spring goes up into the strut past the point I need to cut. These are the 262 gear I installed I just didn't think they had that much difference in the length. If I had known I would have used these in my P39 project. I think if I could have bought this nose strut and two separate p38 main struts it would have been spot on. As you see I had to push the nose out of scale to get the attitude correct with my P39. With that plane it's the only thing that chaps me when I look at it. Anyhow I'll see how she acts with the spring out. If I don't like it I'll do the major surgery and put the strut under the knife. Boots, I would love to see the flight of your project as well. Sounds awesome!

Comment

Is the P-39 blue foam too? I've thought of trying it, as you can shape it pretty well with sand paper, unlike bead foam. I've used it to make wing tips, a rear fuse deck and other details because it's light and nice to work with. I've been getting white bead foam from work to use on the Opterra fuselage, but maybe I should be using the blue foam. :Confused:
            I Bought the Super Scorpion landing gear to use on my wing, and also will probably have to adjust their height, when that time comes, your build is moving along MUCH faster than mine! Impressive rifleman! :Cool:

Comment

Yeah it is, I love the stuff, and it holds together really well. The p39 has about 20 flights on it, and it's still super solid. Even with the drive shaft from behind the cockpit made of 1/4" stock I threaded a boat shaft coupler holding it to a G46 turnigy motor. It's a blast to fly

Comment

I've been a wood and bronze sculptor for 35 years and I have to say...I'm REALLY impressed with your work! Keep it up.:Cool:Doc

Comment

Ha ha doctormike! You should try foam, MUCH lighter than wood and bronze!LOL

Comment

The Airacobra has the scale engine location! Boggles my mind!

Comment

Comment

Taking the weekend off. Will get back to it Monday

Comment

Yeah... those bronze planes had a terrible stall tendency! :Confused:Doc

Comment

Another quick question... This part kills me. I have the motors and escs set in the motor pods. Now my question is, how would you go about making the access to the escs simple without hurting the pods or the plane. I've had 2 ideas sofar. One is to fiberglass the pods with epoxy then cutting an access hatch in the bottom of the pod that has screw points where I can lock it down but if I ever had to get to the ESC I could and pull it out the bottom thought the back. The second is somehow making the whole pod modular and removable from the wing. I'm thinking using 4bolt down points with bolts that go to the bottom of the wing and use blind nuts on the underside locking it down. Then get some brass tubing that I can glue with epoxy in place in the pods that go into the wing and glue that too after cutting the brass at the joining point. Heck I think I may have just answered myself. Anyway any thoughts on this would definitely be appreciated.

Comment

I like that idea, it is also possible to extend the wires so the esc's reside in the wing maybe w a vented plastic cover ?
                              rc flyin addict

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                Heck yeah, what do you think if I use the original 6° up thrust angle on the motor pods, would I still need to add any reflex angle to the rear of the wing? I was thinking no since the upward angle of the motors would have the same effect.
                                I would think you'd still need reflex in the wing regardless of thrust angle of the motor(s). It is needed for stability of flying wings, aiding against pitch sensitivity and porpoising. Just my two cents.

Comment

Hmmm I guess I can angle the ailveons and rudders to give the effect. And it's gonna be great getting this plane in the air :)

Comment

Latest from Friday, pre fiberglass work.

Comment

Really looking good! Doc

Comment

looking really sweet, this is by far the best filler I have used for foam
                                        Attached Files
                                        rc flyin addict

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.frankenjet View Post
                                          I like that idea, it is also possible to extend the wires so the esc's reside in the wing maybe w a vented plastic cover ?
                                          Nice project! I think frankenjet's idea would be a good one. That way you could leave the pods mounted to permenent hardpoints. With the removable plastic covers under the wing you would have easy access and good airflow to the esc. It would also be easier to modify the vent/scoop size if needed to ensure optimum airflow. Looking forward to following the build.

Comment

Working...
                                          X