• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for chiming in on this.

Mike
    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post

Hey guys, wanted to chime in on a few of the comments I see here from the past 2-3 pages.

As for Black Horse. We have full intentions on eventually carrying their whole product lineup but it just will take time. ARF models are produced entirely different than Foam models. As you can imagine it takes longer. Black Horse already has distributors they have to supply to all over the world, just they didn't have one in North America and we are so happy to become that for them. But, like anything new, we have to learn the market so we started with 15 models that gave a decent variety of model types to help us gauge customer interest. The line will grow for sure, but slowly. We also have to build our relationship with Black Horse in general. It's not possible to just buy boatloads of every model and get them here. But Twowing put some valid points in his bullets. When you introduce and carry a new line of products like Balsa ARF kits, you also want to make sure you have all the parts needed for a pilot to be able to finish the aircraft just on Motion RC's web page and that takes time as well. So yes, we should at some point carry all of what Black Horse is still producing and new stuff they release, but when? only time will tell.

As for the new Freewing/FlightLine stuff? Nothing is wrong, nothing is delayed, nothing is in trouble regardless the stories people conjure up in their brain and let out in a forum. We have plenty on the way, we just feel no need in riling everyone up until we are ready to spill the beans hence why you have seen no more project names, no more teases, none of that (although I loved that stuff).

But we still have tons of models available and I am sure most people haven't flown each and every one yet. So although a product may be older, it would still be new for you.

Happy Flying!
      Thanks for the update!

I hate so many people ruined Alpha's project guessing threads. I really enjoyed those.

Comment

• Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I've been lurking for a while, basically since Motion brought in that first load of Black Horse stuff. I've been drooling over a number of their products for a few years now and am very happy to see an NA retailer for them now!

James, thanks for the update! The gradual expansion has to sides to it from my perspective: the frustration of waiting for certain models, but also making it easier to choose which to get *now*. If you guys had the whole line in at once we'd be like a bunch of amped-up kids in a candy store: not knowing where to start!

Comment

• Originally posted by CF-105 View Post
          Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I've been lurking for a while, basically since Motion brought in that first load of Black Horse stuff. I've been drooling over a number of their products for a few years now and am very happy to see an NA retailer for them now!

James, thanks for the update! The gradual expansion has to sides to it from my perspective: the frustration of waiting for certain models, but also making it easier to choose which to get *now*. If you guys had the whole line in at once we'd be like a bunch of amped-up kids in a candy store: not knowing where to start!
          I’m in agreement with you there. For an initial offering of a product line I thought it was an excellent introduction with something for everyone and the obvious potential for more variety already available from other vendor sites. Meaning - “hey these are in production and we will likely offer them in the near future”, which tells me they planned for later and not just a flash in the pan ‘let’s throw it at the wall and see if it sticks’.

I’ll also add that through my own lack of planning, I will have to put a hold on buying any more models for awhile. I have one scratch build already underway, and 2 more in the queue, 4 kits with motors and electronics ready to go in, and a business plan to finish writing to continue the pursuit of a replacement large format printer, and add a laser cutter, while holding down a full time flying job...
          maybe I should have stayed with the fed’s...

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I've been lurking for a while, basically since Motion brought in that first load of Black Horse stuff. I've been drooling over a number of their products for a few years now and am very happy to see an NA retailer for them now!

Let me guess which one YOU want. Could it be this with a working Airsoft gun and John Diefenbaker "standup"?:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1_r_cHQWg1Ffg--Rq_NKNeRQ.jpeg
Views:	601
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	213214

Comment

• Curse those full-time jobs, keeping us from enjoying our hobbies more!

Granted, we can actually AFFORD to enjoy our hobbies because of the full-time jobs, which I know I wouldn't be able to, were it not for the pay I receive from my employment, but still. I think we need a special allotment of PTO for flying RC. After all, happy employees do tend to be more productive employees!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                Curse those full-time jobs, keeping us from enjoying our hobbies more!

Granted, we can actually AFFORD to enjoy our hobbies because of the full-time jobs, which I know I wouldn't be able to, were it not for the pay I receive from my employment, but still. I think we need a special allotment of PTO for flying RC. After all, happy employees do tend to be more productive employees!
                Perhaps it should be classified as a "mental health" day. But where I work, we have a class of special PTO that's for emergencies, or even when you have a case of "I don't want to play(insert company name) today".
                Unfortunately, we have winter here, and since attendance is a factor in how much of a quarterly bonus we receive, I've been banking my hours for snow days.

Comment

• LOL it took me a moment to realize PTO did not mean “Pacific Theatre of Operations”. You know you’re a warbird junk when...

Valkpilot, you’re not wrong. One of my original goals when I started in the hobby 8 or 9 years ago was to have an EDF Arrow. It’s still kinda there, but I’m having way too much fun with prop planes right now. Plus I’m doubtful that my skills would be up to the challenge. I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess your jet of choice might be an XB-70? :)

Knowing more BH stuff is coming, I’m gonna have to start clearing out some “deadweight” so I’ll have room!

Comment

LOL it took me a moment to realize PTO did not mean “Pacific Theatre of Operations”. You know you’re a warbird junk when...

Valkpilot, you’re not wrong. One of my original goals when I started in the hobby 8 or 9 years ago was to have an EDF Arrow. It’s still kinda there, but I’m having way too much fun with prop planes right now. Plus I’m doubtful that my skills would be up to the challenge. I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess your jet of choice might be an XB-70? :)

Knowing more BH stuff is coming, I’m gonna have to start clearing out some “deadweight” so I’ll have room!
                    I actually have one kinda. I had one when I first started out (the one I still have, white), was going to switch the "Dynam like" retracts for some good ones, but only got half way through the project. Bought a second one before they went out of production(grey), but it had some problems. First the fan wouldn't work. Then, when I went to take off, real world history happened. Like the second prototype of the real plane, I got it about 3 feet off the ground and it augured in, breaking the fan. The air frame of the white one is still sitting in the basement waiting for me to get back up to speed on jets, and then I'll put a new fan in it and mod it for fixed gear. Or Alpha get new ones into production with good retracts. And after watching the docu-drama with Dan Akroyd, I wouldn't mind a foamie Arrow too, either the original, or even the MK2 that Beaverworks has been pitching.

Comment

• Serious question: Why don't Flightline or Freewing do many civil aircraft? I'm sure that freewing could give us a better Learjet with one hand tied behind it's back.

Comment

• Hey Valk, a Learjet would be really cool indeed. But, I am expecting a bright and shiny new 1600mm P-51. LOL. Funny thing about Flightline and Freewing is a bit or a lack of imagination. Take an A-7 for instance, or a Learjet. Their research group seems to think no one is making an A-7 because no one wants to buy it. It's a big gamble in their opinion. Me I think no one is selling it, they would be the only ones that would have it. In Woodcocks world it would be a sure thing. But they don't see it like that. They probably think a 1600mm P-51 is a sure thing. P-51's sell, even though every one under the sun is selling them, can you just imagine the competition for the P-51 market. But it's their business they can run it the way they see fit. I would be in for sure for a Learjet.

Best Regards
                        Woody

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
                          Hey Valk, a Learjet would be really cool indeed. But, I am expecting a bright and shiny new 1600mm P-51. LOL. Funny thing about Flightline and Freewing is a bit or a lack of imagination. Take an A-7 for instance, or a Learjet. Their research group seems to think no one is making an A-7 because no one wants to buy it. It's a big gamble in their opinion. Me I think no one is selling it, they would be the only ones that would have it. In Woodcocks world it would be a sure thing. But they don't see it like that. They probably think a 1600mm P-51 is a sure thing. P-51's sell, even though every one under the sun is selling them, can you just imagine the competition for the P-51 market. But it's their business they can run it the way they see fit. I would be in for sure for a Learjet.

Best Regards
                          Woody
                          They aren't the only ones that seem like that. To me it seems like every third new release over at Horizon is some variation on the Piper Cub. And I'm also a guilty party because I have two different sized P-51s.

Comment

• There are surely a great deal of bush plane/Cub-like/high-wing tail draggers on the market. Sorting by "most popular" on HH's website, you see that the Timber models always float to the top. They do provide a lot of versatility and work with a wide range of skill levels, which is probably why they are so popular. Sad how far you need to scroll to get into the warbirds, which will always be my favorite. Next is the scale civilian planes like the Cherokee.

So, with that said, what would be the best plane to bridge the warbird, scale, civilian, and high-wing "go anywhere" crowd? Why, that would be a Cessna 337/O-2. That always seems like a no-brainer to me since it covers such a wide range of markets. I could see it working with floats as well for water/snow use as well, even though I doubt anyone has put floats on a real one yet (I say that and there is probably some guy in Alaska with one). My hope is that somebody will make one, but not make it too big or expensive so it is out of my price range and ability to transport the plane. As much as I would love the Flightline Corsair or B-24, they are just too big and on the very high side of my budget. Something in the 1.2-1.5m range and sub $300 price range would be ideal. I find that anything over 1.5m is tough to transport and store and $300 is about my price ceiling where I find it tough to justify. When I look at my flight records and sort by the planes with the most flights, they all tend to be the UMX to 1.2m range. They are the easiest to toss in the car and head to the field or just fly in my backyard. I would give up some scale exactness and features (flaps, retracts, clear windows) to get an affordable price and smaller size.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

They aren't the only ones that seem like that. To me it seems like every third new release over at Horizon is some variation on the Piper Cub. And I'm also a guilty party because I have two different sized P-51s.
                              Yea for sure. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with liking a P-51. I like them too, I have one. Ah and yes the Cub's. Nothing wrong with liking those ether. Not trying to knock anything. Just saying verity is the spice of life. At least for me it is, I can only speak for myself.

W

Comment

• I have 3 different sized P-51's, 3 different Cub-like planes (Timber, UMX Timber, and J3), 3 B-17's, 2 different size Corsairs, 2 different size P-47's, 2 Archers, and 2 Cherokees. I do a bad job of having a lot of diversity in my hanger.

Comment

• Will it be considered heresy if I say that I really don't have a lot of desire to get a P-51?

Comment

Will it be considered heresy if I say that I really don't have a lot of desire to get a P-51?
                                    Hooms, I kinda hear ya, though a 1600mm-1800mm "B" Model with the "Malcolm Hood" would be quite tempting. Presume that's never gonna happen, so again, I hear ya. Best, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Will it be considered heresy if I say that I really don't have a lot of desire to get a P-51?
                                      No, because you could be a Corsair fan, a Warhawk fan, or a bomber fan. You might not even like warbirds whatsoever. All that really matters is having fun whether it's fixed wing or rotary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

No, because you could be a Corsair fan, a Warhawk fan, or a bomber fan. You might not even like warbirds whatsoever. All that really matters is having fun whether it's fixed wing or rotary.
                                        Actually, I'm working on my first WWII Warbird lately, though it's not a very common model for Warbird fans. I'm building up one of the Flite Test foamboard models of the Fieseler Fi156 Storch. My intention is to paint it to match the Storch at the Pima Air and Space Museum, in the Italian scheme of Mussolini's military. While I'm certainly no fan of Facist governments like Mussolini's or Hitler's, I do enjoy trying to make a credible model of a real aircraft, especially when it's on display locally and I can visit it for detail photos regularly.

My longtime favorite WWII Warbird is the P-38 Lightning, though I suspect it'll be a while before I feel ready to try and fly one of those.

Comment

Actually, I'm working on my first WWII Warbird lately, though it's not a very common model for Warbird fans. I'm building up one of the Flite Test foamboard models of the Fieseler Fi156 Storch. My intention is to paint it to match the Storch at the Pima Air and Space Museum, in the Italian scheme of Mussolini's military. While I'm certainly no fan of Facist governments like Mussolini's or Hitler's, I do enjoy trying to make a credible model of a real aircraft, especially when it's on display locally and I can visit it for detail photos regularly.

My longtime favorite WWII Warbird is the P-38 Lightning, though I suspect it'll be a while before I feel ready to try and fly one of those.
                                          Ahh, the Twin-tailed Devil, slayer of Yamamoto. Actually, it's easier to fly than most other warbirds because of the tricycle gear, so It won't nose over and mess up your prop and motor. The only problem now is, from my point of view is that currently it only comes in big and exspensive, or slightly less expensive but not well made. I used to fly the Flyzone "micro" P-38, and it was marvelous. Wish they would re-issue it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X