Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys. I built mine last couple of days. Im using dx9 tx and ar636rx. I cannot get the df to run. I have the throttle trim lowered when I power up tx and then plug in flight battery. It beeps 3times and then makes weird tones but the flight surfaces do move correctly but no motor functions.
    Any ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by CFIT rob View Post
      Mine wobbles as does my F 104. F8 has admiral stabilized rx, F104 has lemon stabilized. I have my rx's set up so i can turn stabil on and off. They both wobble with stabil off if there is the slightest wind. With stabil on they still wobble. Have the same lemon rx on a 50mm blitzworks deltawing edf that flies like on rails with stabilizer on. On launch the stabilizers work like a charm. Could it be the servos are not fast enough react to stabilizer?
      That's funny, my F-8 wobbles too. After a while I stopped worrying about it, and have embraced the wobble.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bcool831 View Post
        Hey guys. I built mine last couple of days. Im using dx9 tx and ar636rx. I cannot get the df to run. I have the throttle trim lowered when I power up tx and then plug in flight battery. It beeps 3times and then makes weird tones but the flight surfaces do move correctly but no motor functions.
        Any ideas?
        Did you do a bind on the RX before hooking everything up except the power?

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Did you do a bind on the RX before hooking everything up except the power?
          I figured it out stupidly I did not calibrate throttle. I love this jet. Easy to fly and a blast.

Comment

• Flew 4 more packs today and 3 through my f22 raptor. I really enjoy this plane.

Comment

• Mine came in yesterday! I went w a regular Spektrum 400 rx and 2200 4s... i may get smaller batteries.. see how she flies first

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post

That's funny, my F-8 wobbles too. After a while I stopped worrying about it, and have embraced the wobble.
                What do you guys expect? Both the F-104 and F-8 were Engines with wings strapped on and a guy stuffed into them.

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post

I stuffed an A3-L in the F-8, and the wobble is gone when on... Using an Admiral 1600, but I do have gear on mine and that may lower the CG and stabilize the chiming (wobble)… :Thinking:Think like a keel on a sailboat...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post

I stuffed an A3-L in the F-8, and the wobble is gone when on... Using an Admiral 1600, but I do have gear on mine and that may lower the CG and stabilize the chiming (wobble)… :Thinking:Think like a keel on a sailboat...
                    Got any videos? I'm contemplating buying one with LG, no gyro, and using 1800s, but all the videos I've seen are hand launches.

Comment

Got any videos? I'm contemplating buying one with LG, no gyro, and using 1800s, but all the videos I've seen are hand launches.
                      No video... I was flying at our local elementary school by myself on a Saturday afternoon. So no one was around... Sorry!

Comment

Its a shorty, but watch this one. 4s with the retracts from the 70mm F-104. Embrace the wobble!

Comment

• Wobble!!! Just crooked air.... ;) Embraced!!!

Comment

• This is a 4S flight video of my Freewing F-8 Crusader EDF Park Jet, modified from 3S.

I upgraded the stock 30-Amp ESC to a Predator 40-Amp with 3-Amp SBEC and also shortened the ESC wires to scoot the ESC as aft as possible to balance the Crusader to the factory recommended CG. The battery used for the flight is a Roaring Top 4S 1800mAh 70C Lipo which is positioned as far back as possible, butted up against the rear foam compartment wall. The 5-blade EDF fan unit and 2627-4500kv brushless outrunner motor are both stock.

Checking in with Motion RC, I was advised that the stock motor and fan are both 4S-capable, but I would need to upgrade the ESC. I’ve been flying my F-8 Crusader on 4S with no issues for a while now after I found the 3S performance to be lacking in power, especially at altitude. I thought I would share my results.

Hope you enjoy the video and flight footage!

MODIFICATIONS:

1) Predator 40-Amp ESC with 3-Amp SBEC
                            2) Minwax Satin Finish Polycrylic Triple Coated Airframe: Maximum paint and finish protection.
                            3) JB Weld 5-Minute Clear Epoxy Coated Air Intake: For belly landing abrasion protection.

TRANSMITTER, RECEIVER, & SETUP:

Transmitter: Spektrum DX8 G2
                            Receiver: Lemon RX DSMX 7-Channel Diversity Stabilizer / Receiver
                            Rates Used: 85% Aileron / 32% Expo, 100% Elevator / 16% Expo
                            Battery: Roaring Top 4S 1800mAh 70C
                            Throttle Timer: 3:10 Minutes
                            Total Flight Time: 2 Minute(s), 48 Second(s)
                            Lipo Final Voltage: 15.03 Volts out of 16.80 Volts (~3.76 Volts / Cell) at 22%

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Camera: iPhone 7 at 1080P / 60 FPS shot on an Action Mount Head Cam

Thanks for watching!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaze0021 View Post
                              This is a 4S flight video of my Freewing F-8 Crusader EDF Park Jet, modified from 3S.

Thanks for watching!

I missed your post, Blaze0021, but I like your mods and video!

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I drew up a simple AIM-9B that prints in less than 90 minutes total. A little bit of paint and they'll look great. I also liked the real F-8's quirky fuselage mounted Sidewinders, reminding me of the English Electric Lightning.

Flight handling isn't noticeably affected, and the missile easily clears both my hands during launch and the grass during landing. Download the STLs, attached. Print upright, glue or pressure fit the Tip to the Body, trim, paint, install. I used a 6mm Brim, 0.2mm layer height, 10% infill, with Support.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181008_120326.jpg
Views:	1061
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	155379Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181008_120350.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	155377
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181008_121015.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	155378Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181008_121023.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	155380
                                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I wanted to share a little carbon fiber mod I did to my F-8. I was reinforcing an RC boat with carbon fiber cloth and cut a small piece to resin in place for protection on the F-8 Crusader.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0786.JPEG Views:	97 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	222581

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0782.JPEG Views:	58 Size:	47.6 KB ID:	222582

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post

... and the next project will be a turbine powered RC 1/4 scale hovercraft. With lasers. And a boombox.
                                    Stumbled across this little nugget while skimming through this thread to see what mods, if any, people are doing to their F-8s. I can't seem to find this on Motion's site, not even in the discontinued. I picture a mid 2000s Tool concert seamlessly transitioning from grass to lake. Any update? I mean, "everything is coming, eventually" right?

Comment

• When I first linked (bind) the transmitter to receiver My throttle worked in reverse and elevator and ailerons only worked kitty corner on the stick control. I then attempted to re-link again and lost all throttle and engine but still had kitty-corner on l's. ?????

Comment

• Hi I bought this nice plane. Because its verry nice and have seen it when i was in the navy. I build some leds in it before I glew it together. Try to setup as3x wit ar635 but did not work with this elevon setup.
                                        the only thing to.do is to fly .cg was not easyJet litteratuur november heavy
                                        love it.

Comment

• Hi everyone. My dad and I bought this plane kit from RCMotion w a futaba T6L radio and futaba r3106gf receiver. I think we must have the throttle calibration wrong because this plane does not have enough power to fly. It cannot climb. Glides to ground or stalls. The throttle on the receiver only activates the ducted fan in the last 30% of the throttle throw. Does anyone know how to recalibrate it to generate full throttle and be progressively responsive thru the full range of the the throttle stick? I can’t find anything.

Comment

Working...
                                          X