X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
    I'm all for improvement, and they say imitation is the best kind of flattery, but I'd prefer to see more Innovation. There are enough aircraft out there that people want that haven't already been done, than to release the same size/format/aircraft only a year later. Where's my Viggen, Tornado, Jaguar, or Lightning? Perfect 70mm candidates among a plethora of others.
    And there is the exact frustration that has taken over the pilots of FMS airframes and now are anxiously waiting for FL to be the new big dog on the street regarding prop driven airframes. Since your pretty much in tune with FW, if I was in your shoe you aught to be pushing them on one of those four jets. Maybe if nothing more than a simple "Which one of these four would you like Freewing to do next" type of poll on both the forums to get things rolling. It's a win/win for you personally because you would get at least one of your four. ;)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I still want a 80 or 90mm t2 or f100

Comment

I'd say I'm more than "in tune" with FW, heh. But I know what you mean, my friend. Ultimately, there are so many different possibilities out there for manufacturers to model. Many, frankly, would never come close to obtaining the sales figures to be financially viable. But there are still many that would be, could be, if manufacturers tried. My attitude on it is there's plenty of pie for everyone, plenty of space on the playground for us all to have enough fun while still keeping the lights on and the doors open, without needing to rehash the same ol' birds. I still receive email requests to produce a 1.2m FlightLineRC P-51. That, frankly, just isn't going to happen on my watch. Bearcats, and Ta-152s, and Lavochkins... that's more what we're about right now. We've released six FlightLineRC warbirds in one year, half of which were never previously done in foam (Ta-152, La-7, Bearcat), and two of which made significant improvements on what had come before (P-38 and Spitfire). The Freewing 90mm F-104 and 80mm MiG-21 released this year, following up on the F-14 and F-15, are also standouts for their uniqueness. Look for that trend to continue. ;)

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
          standouts for their uniqueness. Look for that trend to continue. ;)
          I for one like that. Rolling into the field with another Mustang gets no attention. My P-38, Bearcat, and TA152 draw a crowd a create interest in our hobby again. That's just what we need. I know this is the jets forum but A Flightline super scale P-61 Black Widow would really draw interest!

Comment

I've found the FW Yak-130 to be one of the easiest edf's to fly. and with the Red FW version, easiest to see. It's now my warm up plane when I take to the field with my squadron of edf's. Once you learn how to make a good shallow angle approach, you'll love it. I fly mine off grass and it doesn't need much runway to rotate.
            Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
            Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
            I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Aside from a bit of wiggle at certain AoAs, the 70mm Yak-130 is a fun flyer that can carry a big battery. Six minutes flights are possible with the 6s 4000, so in that sense I agree with you Dahawk that it makes a nice "warm up plane". Some pilots have reported it being bouncy, but I haven't seen that. Full flaps, minor power, shallow approach, greaser every time. The removable wings are a nice touch, but for those of us who don't anticipate needing to remove them for transport (or crash replacement), a bead of Beacon Foam Tac along the wing root seam helps ward away wing flex buildup over time.

For a cheap but great looking "upgrade", I asked Callie to make decals for the det-cord above both pilot's heads. She has the file, in case any of you wanted to order a set from her at callie-graphics.com. If she could make them 10mm longer than what is shown below, they'd be perfect. But as they are, for the few dollars it cost, it adds nice visual detail to the canopy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yak-130 Det Cord 1.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	61852

Name:	Yak-130 Det Cord 2.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	61851

Name:	Yak-130 Det Cord 3.jpg
Views:	1132
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	61853
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I've been a fan of the little 70 mm Yak for quite a while. In fact I own two of them. The original red one now has 267 flights on it. The 2nd one (ARF+) that I gave a camo paint job and XRP 13 blade fan with inrunner now has 7.
                Great flying model in both cases. However when flying the stocker after the "hot rod" it's kind of anti climactic.
                My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

I just got mine last week, and I have to say it is nice. I really like the upgraded latch for the canopy over previous models. It has a nice FAT pin to grab onto, and the canopy closes without pulling back on the pin. I told myself a few years ago that I wouldn't buy any more of these edfs until they made some improvements in quality. I'm really impressed with this one.

Comment

Can anyone tell me what they have their flaps set at ? I went by the measurements called for in the manual, but there isn't much difference between half and full flap..a mere 7mm. .thanks

Comment

Mine is set to 20 mm at half flap and 35 mm at full.

Comment

Thanks Bill, That sounds more to my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter genie View Post
                          Thanks Bill, That sounds more to my liking.
                          I just thought of something (before you get carried away on travel) It was a quick measurement and had one end of the caliper on top of the wing root and the other on the bottom edge of the flap. So, it's probably a few millimeters less than that in actual travel..

Comment

Got it.

Comment

Maiden report : Flew today for the first time. I installed the A3 super 2, but didn't have a chance to use it. Was too busy fighting the roll sensitivity. Plane balanced perfectly. pitch was good. Took off with half flaps. She rotated off of rough grass no problem....plenty of power on climb out ! Turned into the pattern and roll was crazy. Reduced power right away....a little more manageable, set up for landing. I wanted to get her on the ground NOW ! Reduced power some more, still on the takeoff flaps. Got on the threshold, and flared to a sweet on the mains greaser ! WHEW ! Toned down the ailerons for the next flight, which should be tomorrow. I gotta tell you, I was nervous, but got her down without drama. I used the throws per the manual, but the roll rate was almost unmanageable. looking back, I should have switched the gyro on when I started having problems, but I was kinda in panic mode and didn't think to switch it on.

Comment

Hmmm... Did you maybe measure control throws on the outboard end of the aileron instead of the inboard? Mine seems very manageable with throws listed in the manual.

Comment

I measured the throws at the widest point inboard. I read a couple of reviews where others had the same result, and cut the low rate throw in half. I toned it down 1/3 instead of 1/2. will give it another go tomorrow.

Comment

wasn't able to try again today due to the weather.

Comment

since its blowing like crazy here in south Florida, I decided to re check the cg. I was way off. I measured the cg 80mm from the leading edge and made marks at the wing root, and balanced it on my fingers for the maiden. Well, today I actually put it on my cg machine, and found it to be quite nose heavy. especially with the gear down. I moved the battery aft 3/4" and balanced it inverted with the gear retracted, Perfect balance at 80mm, until you cycle the gear down, then it gets slightly nose heavy again. I think its good to go.....what do you guys think ? The balance point is touchy....moving the battery even in very small increments, can really shift the balance considerably either way.

Comment

I just noticed that the manual says 80mm, but the overview on the product web page says 72mm, gear retracted, plane upright.

Comment

FWIW, the balance point I use is about 1/8" (3 mm) behind the trailing edge of the forward plastic insert of the wing. Balanced gear down with the plane upright.

Comment

Working...
                                          X