Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New FMS/Eflite Su-30 coming soon

I AM IN !!! ......
    Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

airbrakes, no flaps

Comment

Only 1 airbrake. Rotating main wheels, triple nosegear lamps.

Comment

They need to stop designing these for 6 channel radios. Separate channel for nose gear steering trim is mandatory, plus adding in features like airbrakes and 6 just isnt enough.

If you fly jets, I seriously doubt you are using an introductory transmitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
            They need to stop designing these for 6 channel radios. Separate channel for nose gear steering trim is mandatory, plus adding in features like airbrakes and 6 just isnt enough.

I assume - or hope - that they offer a plug-and-play (PNP) option; the receiver is included in the bind-and-fly (BNF) package. At worst, take out the pre-installed receiver and put in your own, that will allow you do all your customizations.

You might be thinking that they will only offer this plane in the ready-to-fly (RTF) option? That includes transmitter. All the others, you supply your own transmitter.

Comment

Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

I assume - or hope - that they offer a plug-and-play (PNP) option; the receiver is included in the bind-and-fly (BNF) package. At worst, take out the pre-installed receiver and put in your own, that will allow you do all your customizations.

You might be thinking that they will only offer this plane in the ready-to-fly (RTF) option? That includes transmitter. All the others, you supply your own transmitter.
              No, Im not thinking RTF. What Im saying, and this applies to Motion's planes too, is that these jets are not 6 channel planes. It is OK to either require more channels,.and in the case of BNF, supply a receiver with the appropriate chanels for the plane.

In the case of this eflite plane, the BNF will be 6, but really should be at least 8 channels to adequately handle nose gear steering trim and AS3X gains correctly. Overloading channels with multiple functions is a hack. The default setup should not be a hack.

I'm also asserting that the people buying and flying these jets are not using nor are they limited to 6 channels on their transmitters. Therefore, for the more advanced aircraft, it is totally OK and indeed appropriate for the manufacturers to require and or install receivers with more than 6 channels.

Comment

No, Im not thinking RTF. What Im saying, and this applies to Motion's planes too, is that these jets are not 6 channel planes. It is OK to either require more channels,.and in the case of BNF, supply a receiver with the appropriate chanels for the plane.

In the case of this eflite plane, the BNF will be 6, but really should be at least 8 channels to adequately handle nose gear steering trim and AS3X gains correctly. Overloading channels with multiple functions is a hack. The default setup should not be a hack.

I'm also asserting that the people buying and flying these jets are not using nor are they limited to 6 channels on their transmitters. Therefore, for the more advanced aircraft, it is totally OK and indeed appropriate for the manufacturers to require and or install receivers with more than 6 channels.

Again, just simply buy the PNP, install your own receiver, and wire the plane as you see fit. The cables are all there.

As far as nose steering trim, I kept my F/A-18D rudders and nosegear connected to the same channel. I mixed in the knob to the rudder channel, then trimmed it until I got a reasonable track. Then I turn the plane over, loosed the steering rod, zero the knob to reposition the servo arm, retighten, then disable the mix.

Putting in a receiver to do all the bells and whistles will push up the pricepoint. And if you have your own 7+ receiver, double-win, you don't pay extra. And if by chance you don't use Spektrum, you want to use Futuaba, Tactic, Frsky, etc, you come out on top.

Comment

Jason said in the video it'll only be BNF, something about BNF:PNP are 8:1 or something like that. The classifieds are loaded with $30 receivers from these planes...

I would have wanted thrust vectoring but we'll see. Hate to see what the price will be and the cost of spare parts.

Comment

Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                    Only 1 airbrake. Rotating main wheels, triple nosegear lamps.
                    It only has one speedbrake

Comment

Originally posted by Quickstop View Post
                      It only has one speedbrake
                      That's what I said. You had typed "speedbrakes" - typo?

Comment

Finally a somewhat unique jet from FMS/Eflite. I can already see this being a good seller because no one else produces a foam SU-30.

Comment

Like saying no one makes a P-51C Mustang...

Comment

I couldn't imagine myself flying something this huge.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboom View Post
                              I couldn't imagine myself flying something this huge.
                              Ooohhh, I can. The biggest problem for me would be to find storage space for it and transporting it. Oh yeah .................. and paying for it.

Comment

they are strategically extending semi scale, large edf offerings, into a segment of pilots with 6 channel radios. easier for the already 6+ channel edf adopters to just swap out the receiver if more channels are desired..

Comment

Originally posted by Jdcrow View Post

they are strategically extending semi scale, large edf offerings, into a segment of pilots with 6 channel radios. easier for the already 6+ channel edf adopters to just swap out the receiver if more channels are desired..
                                  I agree, but in doing so, the necessary compromises hurt thhe model and diminish the experience. Im sure that they are putting safe select on this... because they always do. Without a dedicated gain channel, they are going to probably use their default channel, gear. This means the feature designed to enable the beginner pilot (the same one that has not upgraded their transmitter) will find that safe mode is only there when the gear is down. Since safe dramatically alters the flying characteristics, it would be most unwelcome to suddenlly be in this mode.

This is just one example of how 6 channels is a problem, and is not intended to change the discussion to the merits or faults of safe.

Need a different example? This plane should have flaps. Impossible, because of the arbitrary 6 channel limit. limit

Nose gear steering?

Flight modes? (Spektrum feature)

My complaint is, that fundamentally, this model and most other advanced edfs will provide the best experience if manufacturers stopped defaulting to 6 channels. I shouldn't have to pay extra to fix what the manufacturer broke because they were accommodating someone without the proper equipment.

Comment

I think it's savvier to configure to the common denominator, but still leave it to the consumer to upgrade/modify to suit, often with parts already on-hand. This is not a bespoke plane.

The higher price would probably cause more grousing than a 6 channel receiver with built-in stabilization.

Comment

Did the SU have flaps? I agree with more channel receivers as I always separate steering. On this I would do the same as my F-18 or F-22 and put each surface on a separate channel with a 12ch receiver.

This is just one example of how 6 channels is a problem, and is not intended to change the discussion to the merits or faults of safe.

Need a different example? This plane should have flaps. Impossible, because of the arbitrary 6 channel limit. limit

Comment

I would assume the announcement will come out on Thursday, since that is when most of the Horizon announcements are made.

As for the 6-channel transmitters, that is what I purchased years ago when I only had fixed gear and planes without flaps. It wasn't until this year I realized that I should have gone with a DX8 or 9. I didn't expect ever needing more than 6 channels when I bought my DX6. Flaps, gear, and SAFE or gyro (Lemon style stabilized receivers) need extra channels that I could have never guessed I would need years ago. I would agree that most people who have the experience needed to fly something like a large EDF have more than a 6-channel radio. They are way past my flying ability, price range, and what my flying field can handle, so the channel count won't matter much to me. I am sticking with smaller prop planes, which is more of a limitation on budget, experience, transportation, batteries, and what I can use at my club more than purely an issue with not buying enough channels. I do see where I went wrong with a DX6, but it hasn't been the main reason I am holding back on a number of new planes. There are a few planes I have today where extra channels would be nice and a few planes I would like to own that would be best suited for a DX8/9.

Comment

Working...
                                        X