Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally saw the Su-30 fly over the weekend and had a chance fo look at it up close. It is a nice looking aircraft, and it sounded great with the EDF's being well balanced from the factory. It flew with authority, had respectable performance, and looked great in the air and on the ground. The struts appeared to dampen the surface (pavement) nicely without overly rebounding. Without a gyro, it looked very stable in the air. The lights also showed up very nicely in the air.

Some notes after closer inspection or after seeing the flight:

- It is a bit heavy, and the flight time isn't spectacular on a 6S 5000mah LiPo, but that is to be expected.
    - I'd like to see some better linkages on the jet as it has plastic ball links with a self tapping screw through the ball attached to the control horn. The screw has very little threading left by the time it goes through the ball and other side of the control horn. I prefer Freewing's metal ball with a machine screw and a nut on the end to secure it to the control rod. That can be changed out rather easily on the jet.
    - With the battery position in the nose, I would have liked to see more reinforcement/strengthening in that area with carbon fiber. It could be a potential weak point if not careful.
    - I noticed there were more tiny screws in various places (such as on the main landing gear covers and ESC cover) for easy and clean removal of plastic covers, whereas some manufacturers use glue for securing the parts. This could be a positive or negative aspect depending on preference.
    - The unpainted bare foam nose area, on the vertical stabilizers, and on the ordnance set were noticeable. I really wish they had painted all the areas.

Overall, I'm impressed and it is nice to see the improvement in EDF jets by E-Flite/FMS. At this time, I think this is the most appealing E-Flite/FMS scale EDF jet that has been released.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

WOW, wet grass and all, and she got up quite nicely. Assume you do not have flaperons programmed in, correct? Also thought I heard at times, air brake up at 50%. Do you have it programmed to a 3 position switch? Area looks familiar, I grew up NW of Chicago in Mount Prospect, looks like typical December weather. Can't say I miss it and do love being able to fly all year round. Where is your field at?
      That wasn't my video, I just saw it posted on RCGroups and cross-posted it here.

Mount Prospect isnt too far from me. I am in Northbrook, and fly out of Schiller Park just east of ORD (smaller planes) and drive out to St Charles for larger birds (Fox Valley Aero Club). Thankfully not much snow just yet, but it is already below freezing most days now

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
        grass video. jump to 3:20 mark.

WOW!! Farmerman flying in the rain!! That is hard core!!
        Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Mine just came in after FedEx took 15 days to deliver. That is a terribly ran company, the package went through Ft.Worth twice and was all over the country. No wonder their costs are so high.

Anyway - no visible damage to the plane, I look forward to the maiden right after Christmas. First impression - this thing looks too big to be powered by twin 70 EDFs, but I guess it works.

Comment

Gooniac, will we see some afterburners for the tiny 70mm EDFs on the SU-30?

Comment

Glad yours arrived, PaulZ, and glad it survived the long trip with FedEx!
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
                Gooniac, will we see some afterburners for the tiny 70mm EDFs on the SU-30?
                I have already sold several of them including some over seas orders. I plan to get the FMS version of his bird with the upgraded motors in January sometime. But I already offer the burners if you are interested just let me know. They use the older generation FMS motors so nothing out of the ordinary. I can do it for sure... More pix to come soon once I get mine or other customers get pix of theirs...
                I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                  Glad yours arrived, PaulZ, and glad it survived the long trip with FedEx!
                  Me too, thank you Alpha! I know that you are probably in China but nevertheless Happy Holidays to you and thank you for all the amazing work you have done this year for all of us!

Comment

Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

I have already sold several of them including some over seas orders. I plan to get the FMS version of his bird with the upgraded motors in January sometime. But I already offer the burners if you are interested just let me know. They use the older generation FMS motors so nothing out of the ordinary. I can do it for sure... More pix to come soon once I get mine or other customers get pix of theirs...
                    Sounds like a plan. I'll maiden this thing first and then contact you. I did not know there are better motors coming...will they be an easy upgrade?

Comment

Just got gooniacs AB leds look great
                      the right nozzle black painted left nozzle silver aluminum tape.
                      Will be painting in a chrome ..
                      Attached Files

Comment

H I G H A L P H A
                        With the SU-30 from Eflite. Just a quick clip demoing the High Alpha capability with the VERY Heavy SU-30. Normally an airplane this heavy, not to mention nose heavy will not high alpha well. With a light high C rating pack though, it can be done. This is the stock BNF jet. Look for the full video soon!

Comment

Originally posted by yf22raptor View Post
                          Just got gooniacs AB leds look great
                          the right nozzle black painted left nozzle silver aluminum tape.
                          Will be painting in a chrome ..
                          Looks awesome! Glad you were able to get it going? Let me know if you need anything else! I am looking forward to getting my FMS version next month...

Comment

Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

Looks awesome! Glad you were able to get it going? Let me know if you need anything else! I am looking forward to getting my FMS version next month...
                            Where are you sourcing the FMS version?

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                              Where are you sourcing the FMS version?
                              There was a person on RCg that was selling the FMS paint scheme version of the F-18 80mm. If I'm not mistaken, people are hoping the same person will act as the middleman to sell the Su-30 in the FMS paint scheme after the new year arrives. You probably saw the sale thread already on RCg for the F-18, but if not, let me know and I'll send you the link. There hasn't been a Su-30 sale thread yet, and I don't know if the person plans to make one, but it could be possible if he/she ends up being able to sell it. I have no idea if it's a legitimate thing or not, but evidently some people ordered their F-18 from the person.

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

There was a person on RCg that was selling the FMS paint scheme version of the F-18 80mm. If I'm not mistaken, people are hoping the same person will act as the middleman to sell the Su-30 in the FMS paint scheme after the new year arrives. You probably saw the sale thread already on RCg for the F-18, but if not, let me know and I'll send you the link. There hasn't been a Su-30 sale thread yet, and I don't know if the person plans to make one, but it could be possible if he/she ends up being able to sell it. I have no idea if it's a legitimate thing or not, but evidently some people ordered their F-18 from the person.
                                Thanks for the info. No, I didn't see the thread about the F-18. I'll keep an eye out for the SU-30, FMS version, but please post up any info here that comes along when it happens. My Eflite SU-30 should be in my hands just before the end of the year, but I'm always interested in other options out there. If my Eflite flies well, I'll leave it alone, but if it feels like it could use a little more punch, there are FMS fan units that push out 2500g static thrust each that I can throw in there.

Comment

Thanks for the info. No, I didn't see the thread about the F-18. I'll keep an eye out for the SU-30, FMS version, but please post up any info here that comes along when it happens. My Eflite SU-30 should be in my hands just before the end of the year, but I'm always interested in other options out there. If my Eflite flies well, I'll leave it alone, but if it feels like it could use a little more punch, there are FMS fan units that push out 2500g static thrust each that I can throw in there.
                                  Not a problem at all . The FMS version will supposedly come with different servos (not sure if all or just some will be different), as well as slightly modified power systems. I'm not sure if that's actually true or not, but time will tell.

The E-Flite appears to be a great flier and I hope you enjoy it. I've seen a few in person and I am impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                                    The E-Flite appears to be a great flier and I hope you enjoy it. I've seen a few in person and I am impressed.
                                    I'm happy to hear this. A friend here got his last week. He's got it finished but our winter is in full force, so no flying till about April/May. I hope to pick mine up end of this week. Then there'll be two hanger queens waiting for spring.

Comment

I'm happy to hear this. A friend here got his last week. He's got it finished but our winter is in full force, so no flying till about April/May. I hope to pick mine up end of this week. Then there'll be two hanger queens waiting for spring.
                                      At least you get to stare at its awesomeness for a while .

Comment

I really do enjoy the fact that Horizon steered toward making this Su-30 with some scale features. Although going too scale with a model can have some downsides, with weight being an obvious one, how much scale detail is the question. For me, they chose just enough to satisfy the scale needs. I like that the main gear have doors and conceal the main wheels completely, the air brake looks good, the wheel sizes aren't overly large, the struts are nice, and it has a lighting package installed.

Because they are similar in non-sale price in PNP form (not speaking of performance here), this E-Flite Su-30 6S twin 70mm compared to the Freewing F-22 6S 90mm, has some notable features I wish the F-22 had. The F-22 is an amazing aircraft and is popular for many reasons, so this isn't to speak negatively of it, only to point out some features I prefer to see on jets of that kind/size/price (and since it's supposed to be a very sleek and stealth aircraft). For me, the F-22 has far more positives than negatives. However, I'd take some weight penalty to add additional features, and increase in cost for that matter. I'm aware many choices are made to lower costs, provide design simplicity, and increase versatility (such as grass ops, etc.), but every now and then too little features can be as much of a downside as too many features, for me of course.

The F-22 90mm has a nose gear door and nose gear position too far forward compared to the full sized aircraft, too long, and the aircraft sits too high off the ground. Changing the nose wheel to a smaller diameter helps improve the look (I realize they used a larger nose wheel to help with grass operation), but that doesn't change the forward gear and door position, or the length of the gear doors. The F-22 didn't come with NAV lights or strobes, which I found odd at that price point (we of course can install that ourselves, but that's not the point), and instead it came with the same massive nose wheel light offered on many other Freewing jets. Lastly, the main wheels are easily visible and not concealed by doors in flight, which was/is a bummer. The top-side leading edge of the intakes aren't plastic capped like the rest of the intake, and chips and flakes way too easily considering how thin it is. I really like the way the F-22 looks in the air once the gear is retracted, but dislike it when it's on the ground or in landing configuration. Now, the Su-30 looks rather nice regardless of in the air or on the ground, and to me, that's mostly because of the features I described above. The paint scheme is still not my favorite, at all actually, but that's okay. The aircraft looks so good that is makes me want to purchase one even with the current paint scheme . The price for what features it has is rather fair in my opinion.

Comment

• Great post T. I think that EFlite and FreeWing are learning from each other but still have a way to go. Two big things that irked me about all the Horizon planes have been their marketing and spare parts pricing. They did much better in both regards for the SU. I am a big fan of the color scheme too, similarly I love the RW&B L-39 scheme.

I really think that FW messed up not having lights on the F-22. And while I realize many don't like TVs I think they should have been on it. The only thing I think that hurts the SU is the battery bay placement and size. I also think that this should have a high power setup. Not sure what but either 8S 70mm's or something. But again the battery compartment is a issue.

Comment

Working...
                                          X