Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is interesting. Motion RC, to best of my knowledge, has never offered the E-Flite SU-30 or spare parts for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tow View Post
      No. I`m talking about the SU-30
      Best way to settle any further question is to post a pic and we'll be able figure it out for sure
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	su-30-2.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	240332

Comment

• Yepper……...that's the E-Flite SU-30. I concur with T-CAT's position and seriously doubt that you acquired it from Motion.
          Better double check you sales receipt

It's a product sold by Horizon or HobbyZone
          Here's the Horizon link
          Horizon has all the parts in stock except for a fuselage, pilot and a servo.
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
            Ah so, the light finally went on, even though it's still quite dim and subject to black outs! Read back through the posts and Evan D even mentioned the Admiral 10 channel, only 33 bucks, that he uses. May not have to eat my words after all! Sounds like a great option. Maybe I should stick to a flight simulator. To power the 2nd receiver from the existing BEC in the ESC, do you just splice another + - wire to the existing lead and wire in a female port to that or is there a y-connector with 1 Male input and 2 female ends out there that I would cut 1 of the signal wires on to go to the 2nd receiver. (I've only seen y connectors with 2 males and 1 female) If I have to make servo connections, surprisingly that is something I can do. (I need to stop posting here and leave space for guys with something interesting on this jet to post-sorry)
            This post is directed primarily at Hugh ............................ It's been about a month and a half since this discussion and having received my SU-30 and having it all set up stock, I'm now curious what you ended up doing with regards to flaperons and having the airbrake on an independent switch. Did you get the "extra" high channel RX and bind both at the same time or did you finally get that higher channel Spectrum RX with AS3X? Spring doesn't look like it'll come around anytime soon (likely another month or two), so I have time to think about the whole flaperon thing. Something came to light that came up about 2 years ago that I've forgotten. Lemon came out with a 7 channel stabilizer PLUS receiver that can be set for flaperons AND have that extra channel to plug in the airbrake. This necessitates NOT using the gear channel to turn the gyro on/off BUT the receiver can be programmed to have the gyro ON all the time. This is not a problem since the rotary knob can control the master gain and hence, the gyro can be turned off using that knob. This would allow the gear to stay on channel 5 and the airbrake can be plugged into AUX2 (bind port) and some unused switch can be assigned to control it. If I read the instructions correctly, so long as the option to leave the gyro ON permanently, the ailerons are still gyro stabilized even when flaps are deployed. Of course, one must be mindful to reduce the AIL throws when flaperons are used.
            I'm considering testing all this out on my FlexJet first as it's one of my less desirable jets. It's a plane that I also have flaperons but at present, no gyro. If it works there, I'll may replace the stock 636 on the SU with the Lemon RX.

Comment

• This is a fun and very cool jet, but dollar for dollar, I prefer the T-33 more.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                That is interesting. Motion RC, to best of my knowledge, has never offered the E-Flite SU-30 or spare parts for it.
                You do nkow the title of this thread don`t you?

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                  Yepper……...that's the E-Flite SU-30. I concur with T-CAT's position and seriously doubt that you acquired it from Motion.
                  Better double check you sales receipt

It's a product sold by Horizon or HobbyZone
                  Here's the Horizon link
                  Horizon has all the parts in stock except for a fuselage, pilot and a servo.
                  Found it. Herte ya go! : https://www.dreamworksrc.com/su-30-t...3x-safe-select

Comment

You do nkow the title of this thread don`t you?
                    Just to clarify your thought process on the matter, we can analyze it below.

Since the thread title on HobbySquawk has a Horizon Hobby product in it, you're assuming the Horizon Hobby SU-30 is or should be sold my Motion RC?

If we use examples along the same line of thought, then other thread topics and titles found on this forum (like 3D Printers, full-sized aircraft, RC event vacation destinations, etc.) must all be or should be entities sold by Motion RC. That's not logical. Maybe I'll create a thread topic regarding a full sized F-14 Tomcat, and then Motion RC will bring them all back from the aviation boneyard to sell them on MotionRC.com .

I'm not sure if your intentions are ill-willed within this thread and/or forum, and I hope not because this is a great forum with a lot to offer. However, you won't get much help from the gracious members here by acting in a rude and/or sarcastic manner if that was your intention.

Comment

I did buy a kit of the SU-30 from motion a few weeks back
                      DreamworksRC is a completely different company from MotionRC.
                      So, in other words, you didn't buy this plane from MotionRC and THAT's what the gist of the recent conversation was all about. HobbySquawk has threads that discuss many, many planes and helicopters that MotionRC does NOT sell. Shall we infer that all threads here about planes from HobbyKing are sold by MotionRC? I have 4 models from HobbyKing that are discussed on this forum. I'm pretty sure I didn't buy any of them from Motion.

Comment

• OK I`m sorry! My fault . Main issue i did find out where to get the spare-parts. Again I aplogize .-)

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                          This post is directed primarily at Hugh ............................ It's been about a month and a half since this discussion and having received my SU-30 and having it all set up stock, I'm now curious what you ended up doing with regards to flaperons and having the airbrake on an independent switch. Did you get the "extra" high channel RX and bind both at the same time or did you finally get that higher channel Spectrum RX with AS3X? Spring doesn't look like it'll come around anytime soon (likely another month or two), so I have time to think about the whole flaperon thing. Something came to light that came up about 2 years ago that I've forgotten. Lemon came out with a 7 channel stabilizer PLUS receiver that can be set for flaperons AND have that extra channel to plug in the airbrake. This necessitates NOT using the gear channel to turn the gyro on/off BUT the receiver can be programmed to have the gyro ON all the time. This is not a problem since the rotary knob can control the master gain and hence, the gyro can be turned off using that knob. This would allow the gear to stay on channel 5 and the airbrake can be plugged into AUX2 (bind port) and some unused switch can be assigned to control it. If I read the instructions correctly, so long as the option to leave the gyro ON permanently, the ailerons are still gyro stabilized even when flaps are deployed. Of course, one must be mindful to reduce the AIL throws when flaperons are used.
                          I'm considering testing all this out on my FlexJet first as it's one of my less desirable jets. It's a plane that I also have flaperons but at present, no gyro. If it works there, I'll may replace the stock 636 on the SU with the Lemon RX.
                          After PaulZ mentioned he had an AR7350 sitting around and he used that, another light went on in my dim head - I DO TOO. On a plane that only needed 6 channels and I rarely fly it, I took it out and reprogrammed the gains that HH used on the 636 and plugged the airbrake into the 7th channel. This was actually before HH sent me an e-mail stating that they didn't condone binding 2 receivers, even though some do it. I even bought an Admiral 10 channel that I was going to bind with the 636, but before it arrived I "found" the 7350. So I'm still curious to see how it would work. Maybe try it out on another "cheaper" test plane when I have time. Keep us posted on if it works on your FlexJet (better you being the guinea pig than me I always say)
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

After PaulZ mentioned he had an AR7350 sitting around and he used that, another light went on in my dim head - I DO TOO. On a plane that only needed 6 channels and I rarely fly it, I took it out and reprogrammed the gains that HH used on the 636 and plugged the airbrake into the 7th channel. This was actually before HH sent me an e-mail stating that they didn't condone binding 2 receivers, even though some do it. I even bought an Admiral 10 channel that I was going to bind with the 636, but before it arrived I "found" the 7350. So I'm still curious to see how it would work. Maybe try it out on another "cheaper" test plane when I have time. Keep us posted on if it works on your FlexJet (better you being the guinea pig than me I always say)
                            Good to see you found the best solution. I'm still weighing my options. I'm also thinking about putting the SU-30 RX into the FlexJet (don't need a 7th channel) and going the Lemon stab PLUS in the SU.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                              Good to see you found the best solution. I'm still weighing my options. I'm also thinking about putting the SU-30 RX into the FlexJet (don't need a 7th channel) and going the Lemon stab PLUS in the SU.
                              That sounds like a good option. I went the route of the 7350 because I wanted to keep it as simple as possible and eliminate any additional mechanical /electrical/receiver potential issues as possible. I have enough issues to deal with caused by pilot error to also compound it with a technical malfunction or something I did in setting up the receivers.

Not completely savvy with the Lemon Plus, but it seem to offer stabilization at a reasonable price. A couple guys at the field use it and say it works great. The only question I have is that they say the receiver needs to be located near the aircrafts CG, which might be difficult in the SU-30. The other issue was that the stabilization is tied to channel 5, the gear channel and needs to be on a 3 position switch for full functionality. A little (minuscule in my case) knowledge is dangerous, but does that mean that the stabilization is on only when the landing gear is down? That's not that bad a situation, as all my aircraft with flaps, it's tied to the flap switch, with very high gains on take-off and landing flaps (which is when you typically are at a slower speed and have the gear down) and less on fly around with flaps up and "peddle to the metal". Paul Z did say (and I noticed it in the 636 program) that HH set it up with extremely (IMO) gains at all times but it works well with no oscillations. I usually set landing and takeoff gains in that same high range of 80-85-90 anyway but reduce it to like 35-35-40 in normal fly around because I like to have more pilot control of the flight and have the plane exhibit some of the wind effects it's experiencing. That way I can blame any "mishap" on the weather.
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Not completely savvy with the Lemon Plus, but it seem to offer stabilization at a reasonable price. A couple guys at the field use it and say it works great. The only question I have is that they say the receiver needs to be located near the aircrafts CG, which might be difficult in the SU-30. The other issue was that the stabilization is tied to channel 5, the gear channel and needs to be on a 3 position switch for full functionality. A little (minuscule in my case) knowledge is dangerous, but does that mean that the stabilization is on only when the landing gear is down? That's not that bad a situation, as all my aircraft with flaps, it's tied to the flap switch, with very high gains on take-off and landing flaps (which is when you typically are at a slower speed and have the gear down) and less on fly around with flaps up and "peddle to the metal". Paul Z did say (and I noticed it in the 636 program) that HH set it up with extremely (IMO) gains at all times but it works well with no oscillations. I usually set landing and takeoff gains in that same high range of 80-85-90 anyway but reduce it to like 35-35-40 in normal fly around because I like to have more pilot control of the flight and have the plane exhibit some of the wind effects it's experiencing. That way I can blame any "mishap" on the weather.
                                The Lemon Plus is similar to the Admiral SP 6ch. gyro RX except that when reading the instructions and looking at the video, the SP seems to me to be a little more complicated to set up and I'm not sure you can get a 7th channel out of it. The Lemon version is quite simple to set up (to me) and it allows the use of the 7th ch when stabilization is on permanently. True, you don't get the full capabilities such as recovery with it, but it can still be turned off using the rotary knob. When it's bound to have stability on all the time, the gear port can be used for gear. I've used the predecessor to the PLUS whereby I have been able to plug the gear into the bind port and use a different switch. In those RX's, the gear port must remain empty, thus allowing only a 6-ch RX if flaps are used. Flaperons were not allowed on the old Lemon.
                                I have only experience with programming 2 AR636A's. For example, the one I've got on my VQ Twin Otter uses gains in the 75% and could go even higher and the plane flies very solid. Faster jets don't need and generally can't use high gain.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20200307_140603.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	240634 Well, mine is ready to fly!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200307_140641.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	240633

Comment

• One more pic Click image for larger version

Name:	20200307_140556.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	240639

Comment

• Originally posted by dusmmdb View Post
                                      One more pic Click image for larger version

Name:	20200307_140556.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	240639
                                      Outstanding repaint, bet you can't wait to fly it. Mines been sitting for over 2 weeks now waiting for the 25mph crosswinds to die down, the day I finished it the winds cranked up and haven't receded yet. Man, what's the point in being in Florida with 70degree weather in the winter if the winds going to blow like a banshee (guess I need to be content with kite surfing). Was it a slight "pain in the drain" painting over the bare foam? I also found, at least with mine, that the factory paint adhesion was very poor in all the painted areas and had to coat it with spar urethane as a primer (even the HD primer had a hard time sticking).
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Outstanding repaint, bet you can't wait to fly it. Mines been sitting for over 2 weeks now waiting for the 25mph crosswinds to die down, the day I finished it the winds cranked up and haven't receded yet. Man, what's the point in being in Florida with 70degree weather in the winter if the winds going to blow like a banshee (guess I need to be content with kite surfing). Was it a slight "pain in the drain" painting over the bare foam? I also found, at least with mine, that the factory paint adhesion was very poor in all the painted areas and had to coat it with spar urethane as a primer (even the HD primer had a hard time sticking).
                                        It wasn't fun. I'm still wondering if I'm going to fly paint off....

Comment

No. I`m talking about the SU-30
                                          MotionRC does not sell the Su-30. The Su-27/30 is a FMS-Horizon Hobby deal. You cannot find it on MotionRC.com because they don't sell it. I suggest you look at your Su-30's box and tell us if it says Horizon Hobby or FMS. Proof you bought it from MotionRC is an invoice or shipping label.

Comment

Working...
                                          X