X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

The HRB 50 C 6000's weight is 824 g according to my scale. I now use them exclusively in the SU 30.
    I've been flying it on the Spektrum 5000 30c and the HRB 6000 50c's. I honestly think it flies better on the HRB's even with the extra 150g of weight. I think it CG's better, gets an extra minute of flight time, and seems to have a bit more punch on take-off. I LOVE these batteries; thanks for turning me on to them. 150 bucks for the 2-pack: can't beat that!

Comment

• Originally posted by evensen007 View Post

I've been flying it on the Spektrum 5000 30c and the HRB 6000 50c's. I honestly think it flies better on the HRB's even with the extra 150g of weight. I think it CG's better, gets an extra minute of flight time, and seems to have a bit more punch on take-off. I LOVE these batteries; thanks for turning me on to them. 150 bucks for the 2-pack: can't beat that!
      A 30C battery, especially a Spektrum, isn't going to push this heavy plane very well. I think they're way over rated. I've seen even the Spektrum 100C battery is so much lighter than anything else in the same mah size and C-rating. It makes me wonder what's missing besides the weight.

Comment

• Every one has their preference when it comes to the batteries they like to use for my choice I like the Admiral batteries. In my SU-30 I use the Admiral Pro 6000 50c and when I want to do High Alfa Flight with it I use the Admiral 4000 60c but it cuts my flight time to no more then 3 minutes. Others like the RT 4400 70c for high Alfa flight. I have been thinking about getting a couple 6c RT4400 70c weight 700g and compare them with the Admiral Pro 6c 4000 60c is only 642g and see which one performs the best should be interesting

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          A 30C battery, especially a Spektrum, isn't going to push this heavy plane very well. I think they're way over rated. I've seen even the Spektrum 100C battery is so much lighter than anything else in the same mah size and C-rating. It makes me wonder what's missing besides the weight.
          I agree the Spectrum smart batteries are way over rated. The big sales pitch is all the junk you can check with them how many times you have charged it etc. etc. etc all things I could care less about That is my opinion My modo charge it ceck it fly it charge it check it fly it, With time you will notice when it starts to fall off. Their is no guaranty on any of these batteries They can all fail in flight for one reason or another no matter how smart they are , or how many cycles you have on them. LOL!!!!

Comment

• I agree. When I first came back into the hobby after 20 years about 3 months ago, people pointed me to HorizonHobby and Spektrum equipment. HH's own videos say their packs are rated true to the C rating, but ah well. Now I know a LOT better and alot more in just a few short months. I do like my Spektrum ix12, and I will say the cool thing about Spektrum batteries is the auto-discharge feature if you don't end up flying. I also love this SU-30 even though she's a bit of a pig. Nice videos WildMan. I remember seeing your a-10 videos when I was looking into them.

Comment

• evensen007 Thank you for the nice comment Sir all the planes I have are all spectrum Reciever's, The two transmitter's I have are both DX8's with the latest updates so I can use their new Forward programming with all the new AR 637T AS3X tech and three of there new AR9350's with the fully integrated AS3X 3-axis stabilization system that I can now program directly from my DX8 transmitter's. I use them in all my Flight line and Free Wing planes, but I route all the control surfaces (bypass) every thing but the lights and gear away from the dreaded BLUE BOX. Some have had no problems with the (MCB-E) Multifunction Control Box. I have, which has made me skeptical to use them i HAVE BEEN ON A WAITING LIST FOR ONE OF THE NEW IX20'S NOW SINCE JANUARY 28th I have almost lost faith in Spectrum Now they say they may have some in by the end of October. but they have been doing this every month since January. I guess all i can do is Hope LOL!!!!!

Comment

• Bang for Buck batteries are the CNHL batteries like the G+ 70c or Black series 65c.. 5000mah Black series 65c weighs only 730gms .. This flt was flown with one the other Day .. FMS SU-27 with 1900kv fans..

Comment

• Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post
                  Bang for Buck batteries are the CNHL batteries like the G+ 70c or Black series 65c.. 5000mah Black series 65c weighs only 730gms .. This flt was flown with one the other Day .. FMS SU-27 with 1900kv fans..

https://youtu.be/qOnOMHYSFGc
                  Outstanding landing!
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• It was russian collusion night for me and RCjetdude ! Click image for larger version

Name:	00000IMG_00000_BURST20200908191622572_COVER-01.jpeg
Views:	517
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	273409Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200908_191603-01.jpeg
Views:	493
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	273410Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200908_191616-01.jpeg
Views:	507
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	273411Click image for larger version

Views:	436
ID:	273412Click image for larger version

Views:	434
ID:	273413Click image for larger version

ID:	273414

Comment

Outstanding landing!
                      Thank you .. Line it up & power down .. This plane lends itself to nice landings..

Comment

• Originally posted by evensen007 View Post
                        It was russian collusion night for me and RCjetdude ! Click image for larger version

Views:	517
ID:	273409Click image for larger version

Views:	493
ID:	273410Click image for larger version

Views:	507
ID:	273411Click image for larger version

ID:	273412Click image for larger version

Views:	434
ID:	273413Click image for larger version

ID:	273414
                        Nice pictures of our birds Chris. Had a good time flying today. Your SU-30 flies really well. Can't wait for the Mig-29's.

Comment

Bang for Buck batteries are the CNHL batteries like the G+ 70c or Black series 65c.. 5000mah Black series 65c weighs only 730gms .. This flt was flown with one the other Day .. FMS SU-27 with 1900kv fans..

That is the longest, most undulating grass runway I've ever seen. I have a club here with something similar but it's quite short. If you can land on that, you gotta be really good.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                            That is the longest, most undulating grass runway I've ever seen. I have a club here with something similar but it's quite short. If you can land on that, you gotta be really good.
                            Haha.. Field isn’t that bad .. It gets mown on a regular basis so that helps rotation.. Add to the Skills is a large Hill which One has negotiate when landing.. One has to fly over the Hill to land & Flaps plus High AoA is required to land on the Field.. Gets interesting with a Headwind when banking for Home turn.. You guys are too spoilt regarding Easy landings on Flat Fields The field is surrounded on 4 sides by thick bushes & Trees .. If a plane goes down a Tracker is required otherwise there’s no chance of ever recovering the plane .. Hazards of R/C ..Gotta be a Bush Pilot to survive..

Comment

5000mah 65C Blacks are okay packs, I have a few, but I'd say these in the link below are the best value out there for the performance, although they're heavy at 858 grams. Unfortunately, most 6S higher C packs are currently sold out. The Turnigy HD 60Cs are probably next for value packs at $75 EA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post

5000mah 65C Blacks are okay packs, I have a few, but I'd say these in the link below are the best value out there for the performance, although they're heavy at 858 grams. Unfortunately, most 6S higher C packs are currently sold out. The Turnigy HD 60Cs are probably next for value packs at $75 EA.

https://rcbattery.com/liperior-pro-5...xt90-plug.html
                                Thanks for the heads up..My other packs used are CNHL 5000mah G+ 70c .. A little heavier than the Black series but a lot more punch .. Can’t beat Graphenes for punch & less voltage sag ..

Comment

Thank you .. Line it up & power down .. This plane lends itself to nice landings..
                                  I wish I had a full length football field to land her! Try landing on a 250 foot lumpy geotex surface!

Comment

• I'm getting one of these. I was deciding between this and the mig-29, but, well, we all know the issues plaguing that, so I decided on this one.

Got one of the hrb 6000s I have seen promoted. I plan on programming it with "scale" flying surfaces, tailerons and flaperons, with airbrake on it's own channel and split nose steering. Using an as3 super 2 gyro and a 10ch lemonrx with my dx18g2

Comment

• Originally posted by bandetx View Post
                                      I'm getting one of these. I was deciding between this and the mig-29, but, well, we all know the issues plaguing that, so I decided on this one.

Got one of the hrb 6000s I have seen promoted. I plan on programming it with "scale" flying surfaces, tailerons and flaperons, with airbrake on it's own channel and split nose steering. Using an as3 super 2 gyro and a 10ch lemonrx with my dx18g2

bandetx I think you will enjoy this EDF, I've had one for almost 9 months. Although I do not have the Mig (yet, but I'm getting one), from what I know from friends that have it and what I've seen of it in person, I would still say that the Mig is a far superior EDF. The Su-30 is kind of a dog. I believe it is under powered compared to the Mig, which has 2 6S batteries powering 2 80 mm inrunners versus the SU-30 with 1 6s powering 2 70 mm inrunners. The HRB 6000 is a great battery to fly it on (or the RT 5500 70C) but don't expect to get more than 3:30 of flight time, if that. It is somewhat sluggish in the air, flies like it is very heavy and carries a lot of momentum into landing and does not land as easily as the Mig, nor does it go vertical or perform as nibble as the Mig. With that said, I still enjoy flying it (as I do all of my aircraft, no matter how they fly, sometimes the more difficult, the enjoyment out of conquering it is always there). It does look great on the ground and in the air, especially coming in with the air brake up.

I fly it off of grass and this EDF has the most trouble getting airborne of any I have on grass. The Mig, in contrast, gets off our grass runway with ease. A couple of suggestions, especially if you are on grass. Flaperons helped tremendously, which I see you plan on using. Very helpful on take-off and on landing. I also had to change the 1 7/8" nose wheel to a 2 1/4" nose wheel to help get it's fat arse off the runway. Full up elevator at the start of the take-off run (but reduced to slight up at take-off speed) to help relieve any downward pressure on the nose, otherwise it would not get enough take-off speed. The fuselage has carbon fiber tubes along each side, but for some stupid reason they end just short of the entire battery bay, leaving the front nose section supporting a heavy battery with only foam support. I added carbon tubes along both sides of the front fuselage the entire length of the battery bay. Did it need it, not sure but I've seen the front section crack off easily on a less than perfect landing. I fly it with the HRB 6000, weight 824 g. I tried to fly it with a HobbyStar 8000 mah 100C, which weighs 890 g. It did get airborne, but that extra 66 g of weight resulted in not being able to go vertical AT ALL with the SU-30. And not from CG being too nose heavy, balanced both at about 140 mm (I believe that the manual has a CG range of something like 115 mm to 150 mm but the closer to 150 mm you can get, the better it will fly, take-off and land - at 115 mm it's like driving a semi). That same battery (HS 8000) in my F-16 resulted in very similar flying characteristics versus the HRB 6000, so if the SU-30 is so sensitive to just a hair more weight, it's virtually at it's flying limit stock!

I'm not trying to discourage you regarding the jet, just don't expect it to be something it's not. It's no Mig-29, but until we find out what are causing some of the mystery crashes, I guess the Mig has some issues as well, but in the end I have my bet on the Mig. I'll still fly the SU-30 and have fun doing it, so I hope you also will have fun with it. It does impress anywhere it goes!

A video of the SU-30 on grass with the HRB 6000 and the HS 8000:

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• SU-30 has become my favorite plane to fly...
                                        Attached Files

Comment

bandetx I think you will enjoy this EDF, I've had one for almost 9 months. Although I do not have the Mig (yet, but I'm getting one), from what I know from friends that have it and what I've seen of it in person, I would still say that the Mig is a far superior EDF. The Su-30 is kind of a dog. I believe it is under powered compared to the Mig, which has 2 6S batteries powering 2 80 mm inrunners versus the SU-30 with 1 6s powering 2 70 mm inrunners. The HRB 6000 is a great battery to fly it on (or the RT 5500 70C) but don't expect to get more than 3:30 of flight time, if that. It is somewhat sluggish in the air, flies like it is very heavy and carries a lot of momentum into landing and does not land as easily as the Mig, nor does it go vertical or perform as nibble as the Mig. With that said, I still enjoy flying it (as I do all of my aircraft, no matter how they fly, sometimes the more difficult, the enjoyment out of conquering it is always there). It does look great on the ground and in the air, especially coming in with the air brake up.

I fly it off of grass and this EDF has the most trouble getting airborne of any I have on grass. The Mig, in contrast, gets off our grass runway with ease. A couple of suggestions, especially if you are on grass. Flaperons helped tremendously, which I see you plan on using. Very helpful on take-off and on landing. I also had to change the 1 7/8" nose wheel to a 2 1/4" nose wheel to help get it's fat arse off the runway. Full up elevator at the start of the take-off run (but reduced to slight up at take-off speed) to help relieve any downward pressure on the nose, otherwise it would not get enough take-off speed. The fuselage has carbon fiber tubes along each side, but for some stupid reason they end just short of the entire battery bay, leaving the front nose section supporting a heavy battery with only foam support. I added carbon tubes along both sides of the front fuselage the entire length of the battery bay. Did it need it, not sure but I've seen the front section crack off easily on a less than perfect landing. I fly it with the HRB 6000, weight 824 g. I tried to fly it with a HobbyStar 8000 mah 100C, which weighs 890 g. It did get airborne, but that extra 66 g of weight resulted in not being able to go vertical AT ALL with the SU-30. And not from CG being too nose heavy, balanced both at about 140 mm (I believe that the manual has a CG range of something like 115 mm to 150 mm but the closer to 150 mm you can get, the better it will fly, take-off and land - at 115 mm it's like driving a semi). That same battery (HS 8000) in my F-16 resulted in very similar flying characteristics versus the HRB 6000, so if the SU-30 is so sensitive to just a hair more weight, it's virtually at it's flying limit stock!

I'm not trying to discourage you regarding the jet, just don't expect it to be something it's not. It's no Mig-29, but until we find out what are causing some of the mystery crashes, I guess the Mig has some issues as well, but in the end I have my bet on the Mig. I'll still fly the SU-30 and have fun doing it, so I hope you also will have fun with it. It does impress anywhere it goes!

A video of the SU-30 on grass with the HRB 6000 and the HS 8000:
                                          If I want something that is super acrobatic and can fly straight up I'll fly my havoc! I want something to look cool lmao.

Comment

Working...
                                          X