Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	304536Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210317_145705278.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	304535

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
      Reconfigured the controls so that the tailerons control pitch and roll and the wing surfaces are flaps only. The flaps have full up, take off position, and full down. The airbrake is also actuated when the flaps go full down. I mixed in a bit of up elevator with the full flap position.
      How’s the roll authority with only tailerons? This is a pretty big, heavy plane.

Comment

• Haven't tried it yet...too much rain and wind for the foreseeable future. Nuts-n-volts says his flys great like this.

Comment

• My tailerons roll very scale with room for more rate. If you want even more roll rate you can always mix in ailerons as well to compliment. But then you're getting into crazy, insane stuff that real airplanes just don't do.
          Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• When I used full throws on the tailerons and ailerons the roll was way too fast for me....blurry, power drill fast.

Comment

• 3d Printed a cap for the tailcone to stop hangar rash in that very squishable area.

Attached Files

Comment

• OK. I will shut up then
                ​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
                  Was going to buy the Freewing Mig 29 but in my view that has a serious problem with the elevator servo. Just wonder how this compares with the Freewing Mig 29 and does this have any issues
                  I have not herd anything bad about this one. Thinking I might be better off with Eflite SU 30 then risking buying the Freewing Mig 29
                  You're repeating yourself. There will be things on the SU30 that you won't like either and have you demanding your money back. It's big, really heavy, flies on one battery and not for very long. It flies very sluggish and can land heavy, snapping gear and bending nose struts. The airbrake has been known to be problematic on some models (more than you can shake a stick at). The AS3X/SAFE can be temperamental to initialize. I think you live in a world full of conundrums, dilemmas and buyer's remorse.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post

You're repeating yourself. There will be things on the SU30 that you won't like either and have you demanding your money back. It's big, really heavy, flies on one battery and not for very long. It flies very sluggish and can land heavy, snapping gear and bending nose struts. The airbrake has been known to be problematic on some models (more than you can shake a stick at). The AS3X/SAFE can be temperamental to initialize. I think you live in a world full of conundrums, dilemmas and buyer's remorse.
                    There are pro's and con's for every one of these, but in the hands of a person, that does the research and has the ability to solve these little problems. All these EDF's can be sorted out and made to fly great I for one have the E-Flite Su-30 and have had no problems at all with it. As for as snapping main gear and bending nose gear is a Bad landing problem I have watched many video's of this one and pay great attention on how people land many get it to slow and stall the Su-30 to high and ruin the gear then complain how week the gear is landing these planes is where most all the damage is done due to bad piloting skills. I will say that some have had the gear come out to due to not enough glue on the mounting plates on the retracts but only on a few planes You are right the SU-30 is a heavy plane and could use more power and the roll rate is rather sluggish. So the SU-30 has to be flown with all this in mind. Due to the higher wing loading the stall speed is higher then most other EDF twins that are lighter and have more power so all this has to be considered when flying. I have programed in tailerons and by doing so the roll rate can be adjusted as slow or as fast as you want it. lets get back to the landing gear if flown by some one with good piloting skills the SU-30 can be landed on the mains first. let me say that again FLAIRED & TOUCHDOWN THE MAINS FIRST with out having any problems, then let it settle in on the nose wheel. When you do what I call a lawn Dart landing that is where the nose gear gets bent, or if touched down slightly on the nose gear which then inadvertently starts the plane to porpoise down the run way wish only gets worse with every bounce I have many flights on my SU-30 and have not had any major problems with it. in conclusion. Keep your speed up on landings, Flair it correctly if you bounce it get on the power, abort the landing and go around. The Su-30 could use more power, it is heavy, and with just ailerons the roll rate is slow but can be changed by adding in tailerons, landings can be made slower by adding Flaperons. some are even using spoilerons mixed in with up elevator. in fact I use spoilerons on my free wing F-35 works great With the advance computer transmitter's programming capabilities are endless that's why we test fly these planes. FWIW
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	SU-30 FLYBY.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	306162

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post

There are pro's and con's for every one of these, but in the hands of a person, that does the research and has the ability to solve these little problems. All these EDF's can be sorted out and made to fly great I for one have the E-Flite Su-30 and have had no problems at all with it. As for as snapping main gear and bending nose gear is a Bad landing problem I have watched many video's of this one and pay great attention on how people land many get it to slow and stall the Su-30 to high and ruin the gear then complain how week the gear is landing these planes is where most all the damage is done due to bad piloting skills. I will say that some have had the gear come out to due to not enough glue on the mounting plates on the retracts but only on a few planes You are right the SU-30 is a heavy plane and could use more power and the roll rate is rather sluggish. So the SU-30 has to be flown with all this in mind. Due to the higher wing loading the stall speed is higher then most other EDF twins that are lighter and have more power so all this has to be considered when flying. I have programed in tailerons and by doing so the roll rate can be adjusted as slow or as fast as you want it. lets get back to the landing gear if flown by some one with good piloting skills the SU-30 can be landed on the mains first. let me say that again FLAIRED & TOUCHDOWN THE MAINS FIRST with out having any problems, then let it settle in on the nose wheel. When you do what I call a lawn Dart landing that is where the nose gear gets bent, or if touched down slightly on the nose gear which then inadvertently starts the plane to porpoise down the run way wish only gets worse with every bounce I have many flights on my SU-30 and have not had any major problems with it. in conclusion. Keep your speed up on landings, Flair it correctly if you bounce it get on the power, abort the landing and go around. The Su-30 could use more power, it is heavy, and with just ailerons the roll rate is slow but can be changed by adding in tailerons, landings can be made slower by adding Flaperons. some are even using spoilerons mixed in with up elevator. in fact I use spoilerons on my free wing F-35 works great With the advance computer transmitter's programming capabilities are endless that's why we test fly these planes.
                      I also have the SU30, along with 2 others at my field, so I'm not talking out my butt. What you must realize is that the good "Captain" (and you really need to follow all his postings here) can't deal with the CON's. He doesn't want to deal with stuff you have to "sort out". He wants every penny's worth right out of the box. Zero problems, zero issues. Every one of us understands the need to grease every landing if we want to preserve the gear. Go ahead and read all of Captain's posts here. Can you guarantee that he'll grease all his landings? Preach all you like about "flairing and mains first". Most of us know this. The big question is .................. Can the Captain do it or is he going to smack the thing down hard, break a gear and then complain it's a terrible quality of plane. Saying, seeing and doing are all completely different things.
                      My post and comments were directed solely to the Captain, knowing his history and his requirements. It was NOT a generalization of the SU30.

Comment

• WOW I most have struck a nerve here. You know all I have said is a generalization and my opinion on what I have seen with this and many other EDF's and just RC planes. I am talking about a lot of people that buy these planes, and have no idea what they are doing with them just because they look great and they hope they can Fly them with out crashing. There are many that do just that. Clint Eastwood remarked a man has got to know his limitations No body makes perfect landing every time you know that, but there are a lot that never practice landings and take offs because they are nerves about crashing, so they just hope for the best. being proficient at take offs and landings has to be practices many many times to be come proficient at doing so There are days I go out, and that is all I will do with my planes, touch and goes all day long to stay proficient with each and every plane I have. You read to much into my post Sir. I did not mean to up set you or any one else have a nice day

Comment

• I need to order a new set of tires for my SU-30. With all the flying time and many, many touch and goes made with it there is no tread visible on the original tires LOL!!!! need to order some glue from MRC today any way, a long with a new set of skins for the SU-30

Comment

• Got my SU-30 out with 3 other EDF's and put 5 flights on it with a 5000mah battery. Still flies like a pig, but I'm learning to deal with it (only took about 60 flights and trying 5 different batteries). Cutting back on weight to a 5000 improved it's performance substantially, but still only get 3:20 out of it, which ain't bad since the 6000's only gave me the same, but had to use more throttle and at least now it climbs decently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210329_121040.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	306408
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I have a couple other 70mm Fan units I bought that should fit in the SU-30 They have a little more power and should go right in the SU-30 picked up the pair for 10 dollars in perfect shape. Time to do a repower and see what I get. Love flying the SU-30 but have to stay on the power all the time which equates to the short flight time I have never flown it off grass, or any of my EDF's just paved run ways. Some days all I do with it is touch and go That's why I have to order new Skins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                                Still flies like a pig, but I'm learning to deal with it (only took about 60 flights and trying 5 different batteries).
                                Pigs do fly then. I've always flown mine on 5000's and like you, I have gotten used to it and enjoy it a lot - not my fave but still has "presence" when I do fly it.

Comment

Pigs do fly then. I've always flown mine on 5000's and like you, I have gotten used to it and enjoy it a lot - not my fave but still has "presence" when I do fly it.
                                  Absolutely agree, spent the first 40-50 flights with a heavier 6000 and larger to try and get flight time, and it flew poorly with not much more flight time. The 5000 still gives about the same, but it does fly much better and found it cruises at 50% throttle (instead of 60-70 %) and climbs much much better with the lighter battery.
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Since my last post, I’ve discovered that the other two guys with this plane just sold theirs. They didn’t say why. I’ll likely keep mine till I either smash it to pieces or wear it out or I crap out before it does. I’ll repair it if it’s not too expensive to do so but I won’t mod it for appearance or power.

Comment

Since my last post, I’ve discovered that the other two guys with this plane just sold theirs. They didn’t say why. I’ll likely keep mine till I either smash it to pieces or wear it out or I crap out before it does. I’ll repair it if it’s not too expensive to do so but I won’t mod it for appearance or power.
                                      That's just to bad. Sorry you feel that way. The SU-30 is a great looking Jet in the air and flies just fine just stay on the power, and with a few twicks here and there has made it even better. With the two more powerful EDF's I have bought for it will give it some more power and will not take any modification of the planes airframe just remove the tow power plants in it now install the others and it's ready. The update is with the 12 blade fans and a more powerful brushless inrunner motors I picked up for $10.00. Sure sorry you feel the way about a great flying EDF

Comment

• It flies like a big heavy plane. If you want some zippy acrobatic thing, get a sport jet. If you want something that looks like a scale plane and flies like one, su-30 works.

Comment

• Uh, does a real Su 30 fly scale like? I'm not bagging on this eflite jet or on anyone but I would assume that this generation of real fighter jets performance would be hard to replicate in an EDF. Maybe it does and I'm incorrect but....

Comment

Working...
                                          X