X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Actually doing it through a Bluetooth programming module Spektrum used to use that plugs into the receiver and they is picked up by their phone app (either an Apple app or Android). I just now noticed that HH not only discontinued the AR636, but also the BT programming module. I used to use the audio interface cable years ago, but they upgraded it to a bluetooth module (and I think the latest, at that time, phone app to use the BT module). I'm not even sure if the audio cable still works with the AR636 and the latest phone app. Man, don't you hate that? It seems the AR636 has now been replaced by the AR637T which apparently you can program through the latest Spektrum transmitter (how I have no idea), possibly eliminating programming cables and funky phone apps that work intermittently at best. And of course they also increased the price by $20, thank you very much. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200411_114600.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	248316
    Just when you get "comfortable" with using something, they have to change it. I have over 25 AR 636's in planes and now all that years of "learning" goes out the window, damn.
    No idea what you mean by all that you’ve learned goes out the window. You still have over 25 AR636’s that don’t need to be replaced and you can continuing programming. Not to mention much of what you already know in terms of programming transfers over in the new forward programming.

Comment

Just think of it, HH is selling planes today with discontinued receivers in them that they DO NOT support any longer.
      Not true, Horizon still supports the AR636. They still have the updates, and different firmware options for you to download. In addition, you can still send them back to Horizon for service. Just got one back from them last week. So what’s the problem?

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bergsmith View Post

Not true, Horizon still supports the AR636. They still have the updates, and different firmware options for you to download. In addition, you can still send them back to Horizon for service. Just got one back from them last week. So what’s the problem?
        You might be right, the last update I did to the DX9 was about 2 months ago when I purchased it. I'm sure that the new programming method is most likely better, but I'm like the saying "you can't teach old dogs new tricks". Guess anything involving computers and updates always scares the hell out of me. Every time I have to install new Windows 10 updates, other things stop working (like my printer for God's sake) and it takes me hours to get it functioning again. I usually have to have my 20 year old kids fix things relating to computers and it makes me feel extraordinarily stupid every time. It took me years to get proficient at programming the AR636, just worried that the learning curve on a new version might be the same, but I guess I'm going to have to 'jump in the water" soon and get it over with.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bergsmith View Post

John, my biggest issue was that I couldn't find "Forward Programming" in the function list on my DX9. I did check, and yes, I have the latest downloads from Spektrum in my DX 9. In searching under AR637T programming, found a series of very nice videos from Spektrum detailing the process. Most of the public comments were the same issue I have, can't find Forward Programming on my updated DX whatever. Finally found one answer to that, and that is the transmitter must first be bound to a receiver that supports it before it shows up in the function list. Well, of course, I don't have an AR637T to hook up to it so I can't see the forward programming menu. Makes sense. After watching the videos, it does look like it is even easier to program the new receiver versus the old bluetooth modules and crappy phone apps, so I guess my next plane will most likely include the AR637T.

I just hope that the old AR636 phone app is always available though. Last time I got a new phone, that app was being changed and I couldn't download anything that I could program my 636's with. Fortunately, I had it on my wife's phone as well so I had to use her phone for almost 1 year until they updated the phone app and I could download it. At some point, I doubt that the phone app will be available anymore, so I'll have to guard my current phone for life. I do have it on my computer, but hooking that up to the 636 was even more inconsistent than the phone app, which on an Android works only intermittently. Oddly enough, it works great on an i phone, which my wife has, but I consider anything from Apple as the "spawn from the Devil" intent on only one thing, a monopoly.
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Hugh Wiedman;n248538]

John, my biggest issue was that I couldn't find "Forward Programming" in the function list on my DX9. I did check, and yes, I have the latest downloads from Spektrum in my DX 9. In searching under AR637T programming, found a series of very nice videos from Spektrum detailing the process. Most of the public comments were the same issue I have, can't find Forward Programming on my updated DX whatever. Finally found one answer to that, and that is the transmitter must first be bound to a receiver that supports it before it shows up in the function list. Well, of course, I don't have an AR637T to hook up to it so I can't see the forward programming menu. Makes sense.

Hugh, I’ll verify that tomorrow on my DX9 and let you know.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, where did you find the "Forward Programming" menu on your transmitter. My new DX9 does not have it in the Function Lists where it is supposed to be. Do you need to be hooked up to an AR637 receiver for this to show up.

I agree, this would definitely be easier than using the programming cables and some stupid phone apps that only work half of the time, then freeze. Additionally, it seems now the servo set-ups for reversing, travel, sub-trim and D/R are done in the transmitter, and not in the receiver like the AR636 (which was completely stupid-I only did the reversing in the receiver even with the AR636). The thing that bothers me, is they come out with a replacement for the 6 channel AR636 with another 6 channel only AS3X that is $20 more expensive, granted you can hook up (and pay for) various telemetry options. With most of the new foam prop and EDF planes today, a 6 channel is usually a minimum. Why not at least go to 7 channels. If you do need more than 6 channels, the only option is a $160 9 channel AS3X, which you will notice is "old" technology that will certainly be discontinued/replaced in the near future to go with their Smart , and maybe cost $200. Well I ain't that Smart and my name's not Bill Gates, so I don't think I can follow them "Down the Rabbit Hole". A receiver costing almost 1/2 of what the plane costs ain't my idea of Smart Technology.
              Hey Hugh, sorry just saw your post today. Yeah, I believe the AR637 has to be bound and communicating to the radio before you will see the Forward programming menu. I honestly never looked for it until I needed it and it was there. I can tell you that programming an AR637 is a dream compared to the AR636 which I just started to jump into over the weekend, holy crap what train wreck! You are correct in that you adjust EVERYTHING on the aircraft first than program AS3X which now makes sense. The only thing I haven't figured out is the SAFE programming which Spektrum hasn't released any training videos yet. Truth be told, they didn't release any videos until after a week after the AR637 release for sale LOL but they so far have only covered AS3X programming. One of their pilots released a video but it was pretty hacked and honestly can't even follow it as it's all over the place. Not knocking the guy for trying but it's over my head LOL.

I am with you in regards to price though. I understand Spektrum needs to recoup R&D costs so they can continue to innovate but it sure hurts the early adopters. If you look at the price of each sensor than the AR637 price is not that bad when you consider it comes with AS3X and Safe included. I think what everyone including myself gets hung up on is how slow Spektrum moves. If you look at FRSKY and the S6R & S8R receivers you can get the same tech with a few sensors (even reports the battery per cell via telemetry) for about $80. This tech has literally been around for 3-5 years! I am barely sticking with Spektrum these days as I like the fact they are American and I really do like the radios but at what point does it make sense to stay with them? I am sticking around to see how this whole SMART tech plays out which I hope they start to include in future aircraft. All I know is so far I am liking the Forward programming but NOT liking how slow things are being released.

Comment

• This "forward programming" has been around for about a year, yet I had no idea about it till it was brought up in this thread. Got very excited about it till I discovered it only works on "powersafe" receivers. It's not likely that I'll purchase any as "stand alone" units, but if one comes stock in an Eflite plane, then I'll get to play with it. I have only 2 AR636A RXs unused at the moment and once I can re-program those for other planes, I'm probably good as far as RXs go. When I get rid of a plane, I try to keep the RX that's in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                  This "forward programming" has been around for about a year, yet I had no idea about it till it was brought up in this thread. Got very excited about it till I discovered it only works on "powersafe" receivers. It's not likely that I'll purchase any as "stand alone" units, but if one comes stock in an Eflite plane, then I'll get to play with it. I have only 2 AR636A RXs unused at the moment and once I can re-program those for other planes, I'm probably good as far as RXs go. When I get rid of a plane, I try to keep the RX that's in it.
                  xviper Ya lost me on the powersafe comment my friend. The powersafes aren't even in the same category as the ones that have been in discussion for the last 20-30posts.
                  Spek used to make a 9 chan powersafe that was reasonably affordable @ around $125 but that one went away when the integrated telemetry evolved which now only leaves the 12310T($200) & 20310T($220).
                  Nowhere can I find in Spektrum archives info about "forward programming" on these and for the life of me should I really even give a crap about it.
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

xviper Ya lost me on the powersafe comment my friend. The powersafes aren't even in the same category as the ones that have been in discussion for the last 20-30posts.
                    Spek used to make a 9 chan powersafe that was reasonably affordable @ around $125 but that one went away when the integrated telemetry evolved which now only leaves the 12310T($200) & 20310T($220).
                    Nowhere can I find in Spektrum archives info about "forward programming" on these and for the life of me should I really even give a crap about it.
                    I did a little search on this "forward programming" (which was first brought up in the previous page) and I found that it was first discussed on the Spektrum forums about a year ago. Then further searches revealed that "forward programming" can only be done on "powersafe" receivers. I had no idea what forward programming or powersafe RXs are till just now. The new AR637T is supposed to be a "powersafe" receiver (whatever that is). If you Google "Spektrum forward programming", you'll see some returns.
                    I thought it could be done on our existing AR636A RXs but apparently it can't. For now, all of this is new and a bit like Voodoo to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      I did a little search on this "forward programming" (which was first brought up in the previous page) and I found that it was first discussed on the Spektrum forums about a year ago. Then further searches revealed that "forward programming" can only be done on "powersafe" receivers. I had no idea what forward programming or powersafe RXs are till just now. The new AR637T is supposed to be a "powersafe" receiver (whatever that is). If you Google "Spektrum forward programming", you'll see some returns.
                      I thought it could be done on our existing AR636A RXs but apparently it can't. For now, all of this is new and a bit like Voodoo to me.
                      I can definitively say that the AR637T is NOT a Powersafe Rx.
                      The PowerSafe receiver is comprised of a redundancy power system with dual 13 AWG battery leads w/ EC3 connectors. Perfect for power hungry aircraft and high current applications.
                      The PowerSafe receiver has a power distribution center that provides up to 35-amps continuous and 50-amps peak current to power your system.
                      After doing a little more research, I guess the AR637T is something that is not of interest to me for my applications since it is a AS3X/SAFE tech Rx and is using that
                      Forward programming for configuring the Rx for those attributes directly from a compatible Tx.
                      Now that I know, won't bog this thread down anymore with PowerSafe trivial concerns.
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• This whole topic is really confusing to me but like you, I'm not ever going to be in the market for any of it. I'm a geezer with antiquated knowledge and ideas who will stick with what I know. The Lemon/Admiral line of RXs will serve my needs for the rest of my life, however long or short that may be.
                        I got the BNF SU-30 because I'm frugal and lazy when it comes to new planes. The stock RX adds only a very small amount of money to the overall cost of this already fairly expensive foamie.

Comment

• Is the FMS version going to be available in the US?

Comment

• You'll have to ask Horizon Hobby about that as they have control of what FMS models are sold through them. Personally, I think it's highly unlikely. I think eventually, you can buy the FMS version via foreign markets that ship to N. America. For now, getting one is through "private" arrangements.

Comment

• Thinking about picking one of these up when they come back in stock. For all my big Freewing jets, I’ve replaced the elevator servos with something more sturdy than stock. My question is, are the elevator servos in this model the 9g or 13g? Has anyone upgraded them, and if so, what servos did you use?

I was surprised they used such small servos as Freewing uses 17g servos in models with full flying stabs.

If I do pick one up, I’m going to do flaperons, tailerons, and speed brake and nose wheel steering on their own channels. Going to be a 9ch setup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Czonio View Post
                                Is the FMS version going to be available in the US?
                                There are people here in the usa that can get them. I am going to message my connection and see. He has already shipped several FMS planes to the USA but this was before corona...
                                Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post

There are people here in the usa that can get them. I am going to message my connection and see. He has already shipped several FMS planes to the USA but this was before corona...
                                  I’d be in for an FMS version too if you’re able to put in orders.

Comment

• Did the maiden flight this morning plus a second flight. Sorry, no video. I didn't want the distraction of having a camera sitting on the beak of my ball cap. I was a bit nervous with this one mostly due to the cost of it.
                                    As already said, this plane is HEAVY and you can feel it, too, when flying. It flies HEAVY. You don't throw it around like you can the F-18 or L-39. Even my Freewing SU-35 flies much lighter than this one. At 3500' altitude, this thing takes a long piece of runway to get off the ground in a "scale" fashion. If you crank on the elevator, then it will leap into the air in a shorter distance. Flying around, it is very stable with AS3X working. With SAFE on and limited bank angles, it felt even heavier but not in a problematic way. I prefer to fly it without SAFE. The first landing with airbrake deployed was quite fast, but no faster than any of my other flapless jets (eg, FlexJet). The second landing, I figured out how to come in high alpha with some power and it slowed down very nicely and landed in a much more relaxed and comfortable manner. The retracts seem to be quite robust as both landings, the plane rolled onto the grass at the side. The plane has tremendous presence in the air and makes all the right noises. I think another 2 or 3 flights when I get more proficient at slow, high alpha landings, flying this plane will be an "ordinary" process. These first two flights were most enjoyable, a bit on the thrilling side and since nothing bad happened, I'm happy with the purchase even though I have "better" jets in the hanger and way better value jets.
                                    Note: This plane is set up totally stock - no flaperons, AR636 bound in SAFE SELECT, airbrake on flap channel, all throws per the book as is the CG, flown on a 5000mah, 70C, Revolectrix battery. Timer set at 3:30 with battery reading 3.75v/per after landing. Once I become more used to it, I'll fly it at well below max throttle and extract more time out of it. Future flights will result in a video.

Comment

• Finally, my flying club has re-opened and I managed to get out and fly the SU30 again. The linear servo that operates the speed brake came away from the foam, so I glued a plywood base in and attached the servo to that. The fix has worked well, but it is not a critical part of the jet. Also, I added a bit of colour to the ordinance, and it looks better than the all white. My fin camera mount works well and now I'm setting my timer to 7 minutes, and this gives me at least a 3 minute reserve. Overall, this is a really nice jet and highly recommend it.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Aussie1 View Post
                                        Finally, my flying club has re-opened and I managed to get out and fly the SU30 again. The linear servo that operates the speed brake came away from the foam, so I glued a plywood base in and attached the servo to that. The fix has worked well, but it is not a critical part of the jet. Also, I added a bit of colour to the ordinance, and it looks better than the all white. My fin camera mount works well and now I'm setting my timer to 7 minutes, and this gives me at least a 3 minute reserve. Overall, this is a really nice jet and highly recommend it.
                                        What kind of battery are you using that gives you 7-10 minutes!?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gvasiloff View Post

What kind of battery are you using that gives you 7-10 minutes!?
                                          I have a X45 micro turbine and one litre of Jet fuel.

Comment

Working...
                                          X