X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DForbes View Post
    Does anyone know if a AR636 AS3X transmitter setup file is available for the SU30?
    If you need it, just download it off the receiver into your Spektrum phone app. I did that just to see how HH set it up and the gains they used, then programmed, without SAFE (my choice) an AR 7350 AS3X receiver (7 channels) I had laying around so I could program in flaperons and still have a seperate channel for the airbrake. I fly off of grass so take-off flaps are very helpful. It's too bad HH discontinued that AS3X receiver as it would have perfect for the SU-30, but you can still find them out there for the moment
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Does anyone know if a AR636 AS3X transmitter setup file is available for the SU30?
      The AR636 is the RX. Is this what you want? Or is it the TX "spm" file you want? Although this is available via the Spektrum site in their zipped file of all TX set up files, the set up of the TX is very easy following the instructions in the manual. However, if it is the TX file you want, you can find it here:
      https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...0#prod_manuals
      This is for a DX8G2, but you can find the same download for other TXs.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        The AR636 is the RX. Is this what you want? Or is it the TX "spm" file you want? Although this is available via the Spektrum site in their zipped file of all TX set up files, the set up of the TX is very easy following the instructions in the manual. However, if it is the TX file you want, you can find it here:
        https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...0#prod_manuals
        This is for a DX8G2, but you can find the same download for other TXs.
        Ah yeah that's it thanks! I was looking under the receiver itself, didn't know there was another set of files under each radio.

Thanks for the help!

Dennis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

If you need it, just download it off the receiver into your Spektrum phone app. I did that just to see how HH set it up and the gains they used, then programmed, without SAFE (my choice) an AR 7350 AS3X receiver (7 channels) I had laying around so I could program in flaperons and still have a seperate channel for the airbrake. I fly off of grass so take-off flaps are very helpful. It's too bad HH discontinued that AS3X receiver as it would have perfect for the SU-30, but you can still find them out there for the moment
          That's a great idea. I am also thinking about the AR7350 but can't believe how much they are. Hell for a 9ch its literally only $20 more which is crazy. I am thinking maybe jumping to Lemon as I have heard good things but really like the option of SAFE.

Thanks!

Comment

That's a great idea. I am also thinking about the AR7350 but can't believe how much they are. Hell for a 9ch its literally only $20 more which is crazy. I am thinking maybe jumping to Lemon as I have heard good things but really like the option of SAFE.

Thanks!
            I know, it is absurd that for the additional channel it was like $50 more than the AR636. Maybe that's why they discontinued it. And it even makes less sense because the additional channels have nothing to do with the stabilization. If I didn't have an extra one around, not sure I would have spent the money to get one, but I have to say, the AR7350 is perfect for this jet if you fly off of grass and need flaperons. I actually doubt you will even really need the SAFE option (I didn't even program that in) so the Lemon might be the way to go (and this is coming from someone who has over 25 AR636's and only Spektrum receivers). I have a friend who flies his SU-30 at another of our fields that is asphalt and he doesn't need flaperons at all. Additionally, I've seen one of our members on our grass field with one and he doesn't use flaperons either and has no problem, so to each his own.
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

I forgot to ask, are you doing this through the audio interface cable to your phone?

Comment

I forgot to ask, are you doing this through the audio interface cable to your phone?
                There are two options:
                1. Wired interface that connects the RX to your smartphone headphone jack. Won't work if you don't have a headphone jack. This one may be discontinued.
                2. Bluetooth interface. It connects to the RX and goes to your smartphone via BT.

In both cases, you just download the smartphone APP. The wired one is garbage and sometimes won't connect. The BT one is the one to get. They're about 20 bucks.

Comment

Actually doing it through a Bluetooth programming module Spektrum used to use that plugs into the receiver and they is picked up by their phone app (either an Apple app or Android). I just now noticed that HH not only discontinued the AR636, but also the BT programming module. I used to use the audio interface cable years ago, but they upgraded it to a bluetooth module (and I think the latest, at that time, phone app to use the BT module). I'm not even sure if the audio cable still works with the AR636 and the latest phone app. Man, don't you hate that? It seems the AR636 has now been replaced by the AR637T which apparently you can program through the latest Spektrum transmitter (how I have no idea), possibly eliminating programming cables and funky phone apps that work intermittently at best. And of course they also increased the price by $20, thank you very much. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200411_114600.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	248316
                  Just when you get "comfortable" with using something, they have to change it. I have over 25 AR 636's in planes and now all that years of "learning" goes out the window, damn.
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Actually doing it through a Bluetooth programming module Spektrum used to use that plugs into the receiver and they is picked up by their phone app (either an Apple app or Android). I just now noticed that HH not only discontinued the AR636, but also the BT programming module. I used to use the audio interface cable years ago, but they upgraded it to a bluetooth module (and I think the latest, at that time, phone app to use the BT module). I'm not even sure if the audio cable still works with the AR636 and the latest phone app. Man, don't you hate that? It seems the AR636 has now been replaced by the AR637T which apparently you can program through the latest Spektrum transmitter (how I have no idea), possibly eliminating programming cables and funky phone apps that work intermittently at best. And of course they also increased the price by $20, thank you very much. Click image for larger version

Just when you get "comfortable" with using something, they have to change it. I have over 25 AR 636's in planes and now all that years of "learning" goes out the window, damn.
                    I never got used to it, even with BT. I've only successfully done it a couple of times. Now they don't even have that? Oh well!
                    I believe with these new RXs that have telemetry, it all works through the telemetry. I think there is a menu screen which can be accessed through the scroll wheel to get to it. From there, you can program and/or alter the various gyro parameters. On my DX8G2, I've happened upon that screen on one of my planes but was too chicken to mess with it since the plane flew perfectly the way it was.

Comment

There are two options:
                      1. Wired interface that connects the RX to your smartphone headphone jack. Won't work if you don't have a headphone jack. This one may be discontinued.
                      2. Bluetooth interface. It connects to the RX and goes to your smartphone via BT.

In both cases, you just download the smartphone APP. The wired one is garbage and sometimes won't connect. The BT one is the one to get. They're about 20 bucks.
                      OK thanks, will see if I can find a BT type somewhere.

Comment

I know right LOL. I am actually using the Forward programming on a 637 in another plane and it's pretty cool. My issue is my SU30 and A10 has the 636 so I guess I need to get a BT module to do any setup.

Comment

I never got used to it, even with BT. I've only successfully done it a couple of times. Now they don't even have that? Oh well!
                          I believe with these new RXs that have telemetry, it all works through the telemetry. I think there is a menu screen which can be accessed through the scroll wheel to get to it. From there, you can program and/or alter the various gyro parameters. On my DX8G2, I've happened upon that screen on one of my planes but was too chicken to mess with it since the plane flew perfectly the way it was.
                          Just looked up a Spektrum video on it, and they claim there is a menu in the Function List called "Forward Programming" for it. Of course, my new DX9 does not have that in the menu for some reason. They say it is not compatible with a DX8G1, but is with G2 and everything above it. It took me 2 years to get proficient with the BT programming and finally got it down easy, now that's all out the window. Man, I really hate HH when they discontinue something, they NEVER support it from then on. Like buying a car today, and tomorrow no way to get parts for it. BTW, the bluetooth module is still available at places like Amain Hobby if anyone is interested.

Just think of it, HH is selling planes today with discontinued receivers in them that they DO NOT support any longer.
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Just looked up a Spektrum video on it, and they claim there is a menu in the Function List called "Forward Programming" for it. Of course, my new DX9 does not have that in the menu for some reason. They say it is not compatible with a DX8G1, but is with G2 and everything above it. It took me 2 years to get proficient with the BT programming and finally got it down easy, now that's all out the window. Man, I really hate HH when they discontinue something, they NEVER support it from then on. Like buying a car today, and tomorrow no way to get parts for it. BTW, the bluetooth module is still available at places like Amain Hobby if anyone is interested.

Just think of it, HH is selling planes today with discontinued receivers in them that they DO NOT support any longer.
                            OK will check this out, thanks!

Comment

I know right LOL. I am actually using the Forward programming on a 637 in another plane and it's pretty cool. My issue is my SU30 and A10 has the 636 so I guess I need to get a BT module to do any setup.
                              Only if you want to change something. If the plane flies well for you as is, there's no need to alter the stock 636 that came with the planes. Eflite does a pretty good job with the RX programming from the factory.

Comment

Your comparison to car buying is spot on. It's called "planned obsolescence". It's all about the money. "Make 'em buy new stuff before they're ready - money, money, money!"

Comment

I removed the stock 6 channel RX from my SU30 because I needed more channels. I bought this cable and can now re-program most of my Spectrum RX's using my laptop and it is actually recommended by HH as the best way to set up these pre-set RX's. Just download the correct software for your operating system, Win10, in my case, and away you go!
                                  https://www.horizonhobby.com/as3x-pr...rface-spma3065

http://spektrumrc.cachefly.net/apps/...rogrammer.html

Comment

Your comparison to car buying is spot on. It's called "planned obsolescence". It's all about the money. "Make 'em buy new stuff before they're ready - money, money, money!"
                                    I just won't buy this bird for exactly this reason I have other jets from the competition that I can still years later get parts for

Now I'll pull the trigger on the F22

Comment

• Originally posted by Aussie1 View Post

I removed the stock 6 channel RX from my SU30 because I needed more channels. I bought this cable and can now re-program most of my Spectrum RX's using my laptop and it is actually recommended by HH as the best way to set up these pre-set RX's. Just download the correct software for your operating system, Win10, in my case, and away you go!
                                      https://www.horizonhobby.com/as3x-pr...rface-spma3065

http://spektrumrc.cachefly.net/apps/...rogrammer.html
                                      Agreed, I also have the computer cable, it's just that I got used to using the bluetooth cable and my phone app. I did this in case I ever needed/wanted to change any gains out at the field, I could do it fight off my phone.
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Just out of curiosity, where did you find the "Forward Programming" menu on your transmitter. My new DX9 does not have it in the Function Lists where it is supposed to be. Do you need to be hooked up to an AR637 receiver for this to show up.

I agree, this would definitely be easier than using the programming cables and some stupid phone apps that only work half of the time, then freeze. Additionally, it seems now the servo set-ups for reversing, travel, sub-trim and D/R are done in the transmitter, and not in the receiver like the AR636 (which was completely stupid-I only did the reversing in the receiver even with the AR636). The thing that bothers me, is they come out with a replacement for the 6 channel AR636 with another 6 channel only AS3X that is $20 more expensive, granted you can hook up (and pay for) various telemetry options. With most of the new foam prop and EDF planes today, a 6 channel is usually a minimum. Why not at least go to 7 channels. If you do need more than 6 channels, the only option is a $160 9 channel AS3X, which you will notice is "old" technology that will certainly be discontinued/replaced in the near future to go with their Smart , and maybe cost $200. Well I ain't that Smart and my name's not Bill Gates, so I don't think I can follow them "Down the Rabbit Hole". A receiver costing almost 1/2 of what the plane costs ain't my idea of Smart Technology.
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Just out of curiosity, where did you find the "Forward Programming" menu on your transmitter. My new DX9 does not have it in the Function Lists where it is supposed to be. Do you need to be hooked up to an AR637 receiver for this to show up.

I agree, this would definitely be easier than using the programming cables and some stupid phone apps that only work half of the time, then freeze. Additionally, it seems now the servo set-ups for reversing, travel, sub-trim and D/R are done in the transmitter, and not in the receiver like the AR636 (which was completely stupid-I only did the reversing in the receiver even with the AR636). The thing that bothers me, is they come out with a replacement for the 6 channel AR636 with another 6 channel only AS3X that is $20 more expensive, granted you can hook up (and pay for) various telemetry options. With most of the new foam prop and EDF planes today, a 6 channel is usually a minimum. Why not at least go to 7 channels. If you do need more than 6 channels, the only option is a $160 9 channel AS3X, which you will notice is "old" technology that will certainly be discontinued/replaced in the near future to go with their Smart , and maybe cost $200. Well I ain't that Smart and my name's not Bill Gates, so I don't think I can follow them "Down the Rabbit Hole". A receiver costing almost 1/2 of what the plane costs ain't my idea of Smart Technology.
                                          Did you install the latest update in your DX9. If it’s not in your menu my guess is you don’t have the latest update. I just used forward programming in my DX9 without issue.

Comment

Working...
                                          X