Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugh, you just made me really want to sell my Draco too... :)

Comment

• Compare and contrast: The EFlite Su30, lasted what, 2 years? Overweight and never a great performer, but very fancy looking.

The Freewing Su35, possibly the best flying stock EDF ever, still available after 10 years:

Here I am, having fun again with the Su-35 and exploring the things that can be done and achieved now that I have over 1:1 T/W ratio! This was a good showcas...

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
        Compare and contrast: The EFlite Su30, lasted what, 2 years? Overweight and never a great performer, but very fancy looking.

The Freewing Su35, possibly the best flying stock EDF ever, still available after 10 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx6L...el=Airguardian
        Sell you my Eflite SU...

Comment

• hey look - i got a bar...!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post
            Brian Phillips, the rc saylors, rc reviewer, rc geek, etc.... must get the stuff for free for promoting the sh*t out of it...(?)
            i almost ordered the MRC twin su... another glass of chardonnay and it would be on it's way... :)
            We know perfectly well that they do. Some are even honest enough to admit it.

I no longer watch any of the so-called "review" videos since I just don't believe they are objective.

(I don't watch "unboxing" videos either. I have better things to do with my time than watch someone give a running commentary on taking stuff out of a cardboard box).

BTW - anyone who wants to review my Do-it-Yourself Afterburner controller code can have it for free, since I don't sell it anyway, I just give it away to anyone that wants it.

Comment

• i need an MRC su-35...

Comment

• i just had a thought, but i can't remember what it was. i'm going to go have a cookie and come back later. maybe it will come to me... it had something to do with the FW SU... :)

Comment

Sell you my Eflite SU...

Pass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                    Image the Draco and several others are next on the chopping block, so get your parts while you still can.
                    The DRACO was a bust for HH. They hyped the heck out of it and people (myself included) pre-ordered with my LHS within an hr of the opening of the shop. Due to the time differential and the shop's delay in ordering (they only order on a certain day of the week), I missed the first batch, which sold out in 6 hrs. My DRACO was in the 3rd batch and after several delays, I finally got the only one the shop got sent. They ordered 6.
                    As units started to trickle down to the marketplace, people started to post about how mediocre the thing was and how disappointed they were with them. It turned out to be an over-hyped, over-price, unspectacular product. Kijiji got filled with slightly used ones at discounted prices. Today, most shops have units sitting on their shelves while used ones show up regularly at pennies on the dollar. I don't know how much in "royalties" they paid Mike Patey for the rights to manufacture the model but I'm pretty sure it wasn't worth it to HH. It'll go the way of the Dodo bird fairly soon.
                    I'll be selling mine most likely at the end of spring. Take a loss before I have to give it away.
                    Now, about the SU-30. I thought about selling it last fall but never got around to it. With spring coming and having put the upgraded fans in it, I'm going to give it another go. It actually flies quite nicely and it does look really nice in the air. That pop up airbrake is also a neat feature and a crowd pleaser. I'll lose big time if I sell.

Comment

Anyone want to buy a brand new, never-flown SU-30...? 🤣

But seriously, I will sell it if anyone wants one...
                      Wou love to have it, but Ohio is too far to come get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                        Now, about the SU-30. I thought about selling it last fall but never got around to it. With spring coming and having put the upgraded fans in it, I'm going to give it another go. It actually flies quite nicely and it does look really nice in the air. That pop up airbrake is also a neat feature and a crowd pleaser. I'll lose big time if I sell.
                        Since you put the new fans in, I'm sure come spring you'll really like the way it flies and actually recommend that you NOT sell it. Mine was seconds away from being mothballed or sold as well, but with the new fans, I think it's great. I even fly it with all the ordinance now, something I tried only once before with the old fans and it was a real problem (like trying to get a Winnebago airborne). Since I fly off grass, the E-Flight fans only made my perception of this one even worse. Just not yet happy with 3 minute flight times but a second battery mod would solve that issue as well, but losing the air brake is the only thing still keeping me from doing that.

For the others including jasmith41 , I'm hesitant about agreeing with you to sell it. Probably won't get much and it really is a stunning looking aircraft in the air and given the right power system, flies great. The only issue is power, which, if you fly off asphalt, isn't horrible (almost though). Since you're already 90% down the "rabbit hole", I'd suggest you spend the last $100, upgrade the fans, leave the nose wheel as is if you're on asphalt, and fly the out of it! Talked with a couple guys that have done that and added a 2nd battery, and it's now one of their favorites (just don't get into a situation where you need spare parts, which for me is impossible).
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• What I am getting from all of you is that I also need to upgrade my RX along with a satellite antenna (I did buy the upgraded FMS fans and plan to install those as soon as I put this thing together). So, which receiver do I upgrade to and how do you program these? Never done before, usually just use whatever receiver comes with any E-flite plan.

I am majorly disappointed this plane has been discontinued - I have to pray to the aviation Gods I do not crash this thing within the first few flights or I am SOL.
                          Happy flying!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cchrissyv1 View Post
                            What I am getting from all of you is that I also need to upgrade my RX along with a satellite antenna (I did buy the upgraded FMS fans and plan to install those as soon as I put this thing together). So, which receiver do I upgrade to and how do you program these? Never done before, usually just use whatever receiver comes with any E-flite plan.

I am majorly disappointed this plane has been discontinued - I have to pray to the aviation Gods I do not crash this thing within the first few flights or I am SOL.
                            Since you didn't quote any posts, it's quite hard to tell what exactly you are trying to get across in your questions. What are you referring to that makes you believe you need to upgrade the RX? What is it that you read that you wish to duplicate?

Comment

This plane has been discontinued. I don't know when it was last sold but here is the last listing for the BNF ...................... "discontinued" and you can see the listed RX there:
                              https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../EFL01050.html
                              I don't recall there was ever a "V2" of the SU30, where a RX change would have been done in the BNF. A 637T was an "upgrade" option at the time of discontinuation, most likely directed to buyers of PNP versions.
                              This here...

Also, Hugh said this - "I would definitely switch out the RX (especially if yours came with the old AR636) to the AR8360T AS3X and absolutely connect the included flight pack battery voltage cable, IMO, a must have for this power hungry beast! "

But it just dawned on me. I may have a newer RX in the SU-30 that I bought. It is still in the box, I plan on putting the plane together soon to get ready for the upcoming season and the maiden flight. I have yet to even open it since the winter months were brutal this year in OH, but Spring is definitely on it's way.
                              Happy flying!

Comment

What I am getting from all of you is that I also need to upgrade my RX along with a satellite antenna (I did buy the upgraded FMS fans and plan to install those as soon as I put this thing together). So, which receiver do I upgrade to and how do you program these? Never done before, usually just use whatever receiver comes with any E-flite plan.

I guess this still comes with the old AR636, A or B. You don't necessarily have to upgrade your RX. If you don't need or want flaperons, the last channel, #6, is assigned to the speed brake. My signal with that old RX wasn't very good, but it ultimately never caused a crash. I upgraded the RX primarily because I wanted more channels to program in flaperons for grass ops and still being able to use the speed brake along with the new RX's seem to get better signal strength. I went to the new AR8360T AS3X receiver (which also lets you hook up a cable to the flight pack and get warnings when the battery is low) along with the SRXL2 (not compatible with the older AR636's) remote SPM4651T for $46.

With those new FMS fans, you're already 99% there in making this bird fun to fly without upgrading the RX. If you fly off asphalt, with these fans you won't really need flaperons. They are nice in slowing it down with the speed brake for landing, but shouldn't be a deal breaker. I forgot to use flaps once with the new fans and it got off some thick grass with no problem, much to my amazement. I would try this as is, definitely do an extended distance range check and check for frame losses and holds, and if not too bad, let it rip! You can always add the DSMX remote satellite SPM 9745 for $40 that is compatible with the older AR636 for a little added insurance. I've put those in several of my older EDF's that I initially installed the AR636 and that definitely helped the signal in my 2 F-4's and Stinger 90.

Programming these new Spektrum RX's directly from a Spektrum TX is a super nice feature, but the first time it a little confusing. If you end up going there, HH does have some barely adequate videos on how to program them. Once you do the first one correctly, all others should be a snap. I suspect you'll have to learn how to program these sooner or later since you will eventually install one in a PNP that does not come with a receiver, like all of MRC's aircraft. Man does not Live By E-Flight Alone!!!!

So don't jump off the deep end just yet!
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

This here...

Also, Hugh said this - "I would definitely switch out the RX (especially if yours came with the old AR636) to the AR8360T AS3X and absolutely connect the included flight pack battery voltage cable, IMO, a must have for this power hungry beast! "

But it just dawned on me. I may have a newer RX in the SU-30 that I bought. It is still in the box, I plan on putting the plane together soon to get ready for the upcoming season and the maiden flight. I have yet to even open it since the winter months were brutal this year in OH, but Spring is definitely on it's way.
                                  OK, so now we have a point of reference. As far as I know, no SU-30, right up to the point of discontinuation, came with anything except the AR636. Don't get confused by the use of the word "upgrade". That's purely what Horizon used to indicate that the optional RX can be purchased if you want things like telemetry, forward programming, etc. The "upgrade" that Hugh was talking about was so you can do things like flaperons and tailerons. For that topic, I'll let Hugh address the details. On the topic of "how" to program these RXs, that a very complex question to answer. Horizon/Spektrum has a series of videos that show the various aspects of doing this. There are as many as 2 dozen videos, so answering your question in this thread is somewhat difficult. To do the taileron thing, the 637T is NOT the "upgrade" you need.

Comment

OK, so now we have a point of reference. As far as I know, no SU-30, right up to the point of discontinuation, came with anything except the AR636. Don't get confused by the use of the word "upgrade". That's purely what Horizon used to indicate that the optional RX can be purchased if you want things like telemetry, forward programming, etc. The "upgrade" that Hugh was talking about was so you can do things like flaperons and tailerons. For that topic, I'll let Hugh address the details. On the topic of "how" to program these RXs, that a very complex question to answer. Horizon/Spektrum has a series of videos that show the various aspects of doing this. There are as many as 2 dozen videos, so answering your question in this thread is somewhat difficult. To do the taileron thing, the 637T is NOT the "upgrade" you need.
                                    Ah okay. No worries!

Just having a little buyers remorse now that this plane has been discontinued. But it is what it is.
                                    Happy flying!

Comment

Ah okay. No worries!

Just having a little buyers remorse now that this plane has been discontinued. But it is what it is.
                                      Sometimes and depending upon the person, having a plane discontinued may make the plane mean more to the owner. I crashed my Eflite 80mm F-4 last fall and I was about to take it apart to keep the vital organs and throw the rest away but knowing that it is no longer available made me decide to fix it. It isn't pretty but I got it back together and almost ready to fly again. Just waiting for a nose strut to come as the old one was damaged beyond repair. I'm beginning to feel similarly about the SU-30. It's rarity kind of makes it a keeper now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Programming these new Spektrum RX's directly from a Spektrum TX is a super nice feature, but the first time it a little confusing. If you end up going there, HH does have some barely adequate videos on how to program them. Once you do the first one correctly, all others should be a snap. I suspect you'll have to learn how to program these sooner or later since you will eventually install one in a PNP that does not come with a receiver, like all of MRC's aircraft. Man does not Live By E-Flight Alone!!!!

So don't jump off the deep end just yet!
                                        First time - yes, because the concepts are unfamiliar. After that it seems very logical and easy. I can do a new model from scratch in about 5 minutes now.

STRONGLY suggest if you go the route of the SRXL2 receivers and Forward Programming from the transmitter that you get flightengr's very comprehensive step by step instructions from RCGroups.

Not sure if the link will work from here:

RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums, blogs, videos and classifieds.

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman - Hugh, i got 2 new Freewing 2957-2210kv inrunners from Motion. Do you think these will help the SU, or should i just find the new FMS fans w/motors and go that route...? I'm about ready to do major surgery on her, but this little voice in my head is chirping in my ear for some reason... Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                          X