Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evan what timing is best for this plane? and why? timing always fools me

Comment

• An inrunner likes higher timing and a outrunner lower... typically. Each has a best efficiency setting and once you go higher than the best efficiency you get diminished power returns and the motor draws more power but converts it to heat instead of putting out more power through the fan. On ESCs that have specific degrees of timing and most of those have like 8-12 different settings you can really fine tune a set up.

These ESCs have just low medium and high. On high the 2150 pulls 127-128A on a regular, not HV LiPo fresh off the charger. On low about 117A. Obviously all the settings will be over the 100A continuous rating of these ESCs and on medium it right at the 120A burst and at high over the 120A burst. Doing a hold it vertical and gas it comparison you can definitely feel the difference in thrust and see it in flight.

I have three 2150's in two Gripens and a Mirage. The Gripens use the new reversing FW 100A ESC on medium and both have TV and I do mostly lower power 3D type stuff, rarely a full throttle burst and then usually not early on the flight. The Mirage an old big red brick of a Turnigy. So far so good but I'm waiting for the smoke when I do a long vertical.

In addition to mine there are a few Cougars flying at my field, two even using HV LiPo's. one has a lot of flights on his and has never checked power. Another has, and got 127 point something Watts (so his Cougar came out of the box on high timing) but that was before he went to HV. There are a lot of people flying the Cougar and we haven't heard of any burnt up ESCs so obviously they can take it.

To answer your question, medium or high for the inrunner in the Cougar but the Cougar comes with a 100A, 120 burst ESC.

Comment

• Any one have a bad ribbon cable right out of the box? Used the shorter cable from my Corsair to diagnosis the problem, unfortunately too short to swap out and get the cougar to her maiden. Filed a report with Motion. Bummer I can’t source one quickly. I’m itching to get her in the air. Anyone have an Amazon source for a ribbon cable???

Comment

• Under $3... 8 pins, right? How long does it need to be? I can check.

What is wrong with yours? A bad crimp on a wire?

Comment

• Hey Evan yeah it’s the 8 pin. It’s 12” long. I couldn’t find anything visibly wrong but Servos tested good and when I used the shorter cable from my Corsair everything worked. Weird problem.

Comment

• I have 8 pin that are 30, 22 and 8”. I’d suggest doing some trouble shooting. I doubt it’s the wire itself. Either a bad crimp or the female isn’t contacting the pin. That’s assuming it’s not ether connector it’s plugged into.

Comment

• Did some more trouble shooting. The ribbon wires were crossed up going into the multi pin port. Pulled ‘‘em out, lined ‘‘em up, all good now.

Comment

• Thats great.

Comment

• 3 great flights. Definitely notice the upgraded power, flew at 50-75% and felt like that was plenty fast. Using SMC 5000’s and balanced right on the factory CG. Didn’t fly with armament but couldn’t resist loading her up for the photo op. 3:30 flight time with 35-40% remaining. Gonna up my timer to 4:00. Great job Motion and Freewing. She’s a keeper! Side note: if you have trouble during set up, check your ribbon cables. Mine was crossed up going into the multi pin connector. It caused all sorts of problems but I swapped out the crossed up pins and everything worked as designed. After 20 or so airplanes, that was a first. Complicated problem…simple fix.

Comment

• Duplicate post
                      Last edited by jackdcannon; Aug 4, 2023, 02:55 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Comment

• Hi Guys, do the cougar ESC need the cut off changing from high, ive heard they have a high cut off setting? Ive tried to take a look but I'm not any good with the digital Programmer as I can't get it to connect to the ESC, Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Comment

• The manual shows low cut off as default.

Comment

• Hmmm I plugged in one of the old type programming cards and it said it was set to high! the card wouldn't change it, was told you need the digital one to work???
                            Was going to try using the sticks to do it but worried with all that beeping id mess something up!

Comment

• I’m not sure I’d trust that card to tell you the truth. Use the sticks. It’s not that hard.

Comment

• Ill have to find the stick instructions, I know you sent me a pic Evan D but I can't make it out Thanks

Comment

• These may help. To describe it… turn on transmitter, make sure the throttle stick is active, no throttle cut active.

Put throttle to full throttle.

Plug in airplane. You should hear two beeps, a pause and then a musical type set of tones.

Then a single beep, then two beeps, then three, then four, the next is a long beep and when you hear it put the throttle all the way down.

Then you’ll hear a single beep and then two beeps.

When you hear the two beeps go to full throttle. You’ll hear some tones that it save low LVC.

After that or anytime just unplug the battery and you’re done.

If you need to we could do a face time or regular phone call and do it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	31DB2349-CBCF-494D-90B3-45C0111A21E1.png
Views:	419
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	383521Click image for larger version

Name:	AF93CB8A-A996-4E3A-90E1-340F2384376A.png
Views:	397
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	383522

Comment

• ill give it a go, seems straight forward, Many Thanks

Comment

• The "LED Programming Card" from Hobbywing is what you need for the 100A reversing ESC. (The Freewing is just a relabelled Hobbywing).

Costs $10, Get it next day from Amazon:

or direct from Hobbywing:

The advantages of this over doing it from the transmitter are: 1. you can see how the ESC is already programmed, 2. It's easier, 3. You can use it to confirm that your changes are done correctly.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Yellowred View Post
                                          Hmmm I plugged in one of the old type programming cards and it said it was set to high! the card wouldn't change it, was told you need the digital one to work???
                                          Was going to try using the sticks to do it but worried with all that beeping id mess something up!
                                          The old card doesn't work with the reversing ESCs. The card you need is in my post above.

Comment

Working...
                                          X