X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everybody!

The MiG-21 is my first edf jet and the threads here and on rcgroups have been very helpful in preparing my MiG-21 for the first flights. It's a great model, much fun and thrill to fly, especially with other jets in the air. My brother has built a FlyFly Mirage last summer and persuaded me to buy an edf model, too. I like the classic jets and the MiG has always been one of my favourites. Since October last year I count 60 flights. No need to be nervous anymore but I'm still improving my landings on our narrow landing strip.
    To fly formation with my brothers FlyFly Mirage, I bought the Freewing MiG-21. Actually I'm too busy with other projects to build an edf jet on my own. The ...

First flights have been in silver with a bad visibility in winter weather but silver is a good basis to apply a different colour scheme. I installed the Multiplex lights which are great for sunset flights. Landing lights are installed in the wheel bay in a slight downward angle and I can switch them on/off via the transmitter.
    When doing research on the internet I found a huge variety of colours and the decision what to choose was difficult. In the end I came up with the rather simple but rare Finnish version. The advantage is a simple pattern (easy to apply) and huge markings so it's possible to recognise details in a low flyby, even reading the aircraft number on the fuselage.
    The story about how Finland got their MiG-21 is interesting and I found a nice interview from one of their pilots:
    Jyrki Laukkanen chats about his time flying the Finnish MiG-21 F-13/BIS and being a test pilot flying 23 different types.Photos included are property of Jyrk...

Kind regards, Timo

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9557.JPG
Views:	765
Size:	470.2 KB
ID:	347026

Name:	IMG_9560.JPG
Views:	710
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	347027

Name:	IMG_9564.JPG
Views:	715
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	347028

Name:	IMG_6014.JPG
Views:	720
Size:	452.0 KB
ID:	347029

Name:	HEMS6499[1].jpg
Views:	710
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	347030

Comment

• Nicely done Timo. One of the more aggressive color schemes for what is anyway, an aggressive design shape. Should be a very good scheme for orientation purposes.

Almost makes me go out and buy another silver version before they stop production .

Comment

• Hopefully the MiG is available for a long time. An English Electric Lightning would be the perfect complement :-)

Yes, the shape of the aircraft is better visible in the air with the dark Finnish colours. And it's not too dark, the oliv green looks bright in the sun. Except before a dark background or bad weather maybe, but therefore I have the lights. What I recognized is a small problem just for the MiG with it's short wing span. The tiny wing is shaded by the huge fuselage in flat curves. Flat curves have a big radius and so it takes a while to register if the plane is really turning.

Timo

Comment

• One week ago I attended a very nice EDF meeting in Germany with my Freewing Mig-21 and I recorded this cool flightvid from another pilot who uses the same 8S Wemotec setup as I have in his Mig-21.

Enjoy the vid!

https://www.youtube.com/icarusthe2nd

Comment

• Nice video, thanks :-)

I have some new pictures of my Finnish MiG from the recent days of flying, several times in a nice 3 and 4 ship formation. Mock dogfight is impressive with these models.

Timo

Name:	IMG_8195.JPG
Views:	621
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	348448

Name:	IMG_8228.JPG
Views:	631
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	348445

Name:	IMG_8234.JPG
Views:	624
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	348447

Name:	IMG_8236.JPG
Views:	603
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	348446

Comment

• Can anyone help, having problems obtaining CG on my new 80mm MIG 21 I have a 6S 6000 50c and just can’t get it to even out like I like it….any suggestions on a battery? I was thinking about the 6S 4000 60c

Comment

• Answered in your other post.

I no longer have mine and don't remember any battery balance issues when using my 5200's, they were older Hobby Star's that weighed 620-640g. I do remember flying bigger batteries, 5800's and it flew fine with them.

When you say 6000 or 4000 remember that there's a vast array of different batteries of that mAh size that weigh different amounts and are physically different sizes. My current go to high performance 5000 is a 100C Power Hobby, weighs only 575g, great battery but not cheap (I have 5 of them). The 4000 you are looking at are probably heavier. Second best in the 5000 size is the 5200 50C Power Hobby that is 645g and a great price (I have 12 of them).

Originally posted by willieanderson911 View Post
                Can anyone help, having problems obtaining CG on my new 80mm MIG 21 I have a 6S 6000 50c and just can’t get it to even out like I like it….any suggestions on a battery? I was thinking about the 6S 4000 60c

Comment

• M U S T S E E

Probably one of the coolest FW Mig-21 vids :):):)

At the Venlo (NL) EDF meeting 2 weeks ago pilot Hans-Gerd demonstrated his rocket assisted take-off thanks to a booster mod.

Enjoy the vid!!!

https://www.youtube.com/icarusthe2nd

Comment

• Comment

• Took my old cold war adversary to the field for the first time in a year. It still makes an impression when it's in the air.

JB

Comment

• same wing area as much heavier freewing T45 (5200g) vs Mig21 3600 g !
                        should be fun with more thrust than weight (4.5kg turbine)

CG 28cm, if 30% of left fuel sloshes back on approach with nose up it even reaches 29cm,
                        and when it is full CG is 27.5 cm.

landing and rollout on asphalt will be fun since idle speed thrust is somewhere near 1/3 of an EDF unit,
                        will need JP brakes for a complete stop.​
                        Attached Files

Comment

• centerburner test passed :)

Attached Files

Comment

• could not find a free nose gear brace, only some that required paying for it??!?

LOL

so sketched mine and during few prototypes I got it to fit snugly and not interfere with steering.

enjoy if you need it

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5749757
                            Attached Files

Comment

• maiden done today on really strong(40-50kmh) 90° crosswind .

it was a handfull flight but all ended perfectly, landed on 3 wheels after 45° high alpha approach.

cant wait to fly it on calmer day or when wind is not 90° to the strip​
                              Attached Files

Comment

• https://youtu.be/NPNtAyuMhIw

Comment

• NATO livery...
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Attached Files

Comment

• Nice work! It looks good. I'm actually excited to have seen a few full scale Mig 21s in museums. I don't know if it's like the AK of old fighter jets in terms of ease of museum procurement. But I've seen 3 different ones in the 3 different museums that I've been to recently. None of them look as good as your model.

Comment

• I have a new silver one coming from RCCastle. When I didn't see them anymore at Motion, I emailed them to confirm that they were gone. The feed back bummed me so bad, I went to Castle and they showed backordered. So when they came back up just recently, I bit the bullet and pressed the button. Got some parts and the new Assan Brakes/Gyro coming too. My last one had a modded burner in the tail and the front nose gear doors. This new one I plan on doing those mods and making the stab full flying as well. Here's the last one... Click image for larger version

Name:	Mig-21#57005.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	370839
                                        Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post
                                          I have a new silver one coming from RCCastle. When I didn't see them anymore at Motion, I emailed them to confirm that they were gone. The feed back bummed me so bad, I went to Castle and they showed backordered. So when they came back up just recently, I bit the bullet and pressed the button. Got some parts and the new Assan Brakes/Gyro coming too. My last one had a modded burner in the tail and the front nose gear doors. This new one I plan on doing those mods and making the stab full flying as well. Here's the last one... Click image for larger version

Name:	Mig-21#57005.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	370839
                                          Wow, you did a nice job on it, looks great sitting there too, I had two of them myself, great flyers and love the high alpha landings they can do.

Comment

Working...
                                          X