• Show
Clear All

• gooniac33
    replied
    more flying this weekend!

Leave a comment:

• 4923crew
    replied
    Rcjetdude, The black works pretty well. It's definatly better than just the silver edition.

Leave a comment:

• RCjetdude
    replied
    Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
    Runway is long. It's a full-scale private runway. I'd originally planned on the F-86, but then the comment was made that the F-86 gear is weak, and that I should consider the Fishbed. We already have a few F-86s at our field, and I'm thinking that we need a classic Soviet jet to prowl the skies. :)
    i've watched Ryan's and a few other MiG-21 videos and am pretty impressed with the slow-speed capabilities. On the negative side, i am a bit worried that it may be hard to keep the Fishbed's aspect/attitude straight, if it gets a little way out from me, but most of my sleek warbirds at that way. I'm liking the bigger size of the Fishbed, compared to the F-86.

Ryan was flying with an Eagle gyro. Does the Fishbed need a gyro? If so, that'd be a problem because I'm flying with a DX6 and would be out of channels for the on/off gyro switch.
    The gear on the F-86 are very strong IMHO. I have abused them numerous times and have never had to straighten them back out even once. Mine at least do not seem to be weak at all. I fly an A3L on my Mig and F-86. You don't really need a gyro or to have them be switched. Mine aren't. They just smooth out the bobbles. I personally have more fun with the F-86 but that is just me.

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    Originally posted by xplaneguy View Post
    I've been fortunate to test fly the new Avanti S, and without a doubt, it would be the clear choice as a first EDF! As long as a scale jet isn't your number one priority? I love the F-86 but on grass I'd been concerned about the retracts holding up over time. The Mig-21 is great on grass with it's trailing link gear but would not recommend it as a first EDF jet.
    I watched your flying videos for the Avanti S, and it does look like a great flying jet. Honestly, though, Sport planes just don't do it for me. I love historical military scale. I'd love to have the Fishbed, but I'm going to take your advice and not go with the MiG-21 for my first jet. I'll probably play it safer and go with the F-86. Then, I'll decide where to go from there. I greatly appreciate the sage advice from you all! Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    This is one of my all time fave planes!! Got some good flights on it last week too! I recorded one days flights. Here they are...

Leave a comment:

• ryramZ
    replied
    I have the silver one as you've seen in our video. I like having the gyro although it's not necessary. Get the blue one if your worried about visibility or go crazy with the paint on silver.

Leave a comment:

• xplaneguy
    replied
    I've been fortunate to test fly the new Avanti S, and without a doubt, it would be the clear choice as a first EDF! As long as a scale jet isn't your number one priority? I love the F-86 but on grass I'd been concerned about the retracts holding up over time. The Mig-21 is great on grass with it's trailing link gear but would not recommend it as a first EDF jet.

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
    I would recommend the F-86 provided the grass is relatively short. How long is the runway?
    Runway is long. It's a full-scale private runway. I'd originally planned on the F-86, but then the comment was made that the F-86 gear is weak, and that I should consider the Fishbed. We already have a few F-86s at our field, and I'm thinking that we need a classic Soviet jet to prowl the skies. :)
    i've watched Ryan's and a few other MiG-21 videos and am pretty impressed with the slow-speed capabilities. On the negative side, i am a bit worried that it may be hard to keep the Fishbed's aspect/attitude straight, if it gets a little way out from me, but most of my sleek warbirds at that way. I'm liking the bigger size of the Fishbed, compared to the F-86.

Ryan was flying with an Eagle gyro. Does the Fishbed need a gyro? If so, that'd be a problem because I'm flying with a DX6 and would be out of channels for the on/off gyro switch.

Leave a comment:

• RCjetdude
    replied
    I would recommend the F-86 provided the grass is relatively short. How long is the runway?

Leave a comment:

• ryramZ
    replied
    Between the F86 and the Mig 21 the F86 will feel and fly more like a warbird. Both will tolerate grass. Even a sport jet like the new Avanti s or tried and true Stinger 90 will feel like a warbird more than a delta wing jet. The A10 will be familiar as well.

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    Hey, guys, I'm a prop warbirder, but I want to move into jets, eventually getting the Freewing Me-262 and 80mm A-10. The UMX A-10 is the only EDF I've flown. I fly on a grass field (private airstrip). I'm currently debating between the Freewing 80mm F-86 and the MiG-21 as my entry jets. Would appreciate your opinions, recommendations on this subject.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Leave a comment:

• Alpha
    replied
    Hi 4923crew, welcome to Hobby Squawk! I like those paint schemes, the black looks very sinister!

Leave a comment:

• RCjetdude
    replied
    Looks great! How does that black hold up in the sun?

Leave a comment:

• 4923crew
    replied
    Some of the paint schemes I've put on my Mig-21s

Leave a comment:

• 19000rpm
    replied
    Thanks. I'me using an Eflite multimeter. One I've been using for some time. Usually it reaches max amps within a few seconds. With the mig it just keeps on going up slowly. I was approaching 100A and it just kept going so I shut it down. Did the same test on my 70mm Yak right after and the meter brought up the amps quickly and then settled down. All normal. I'm wondering if my Mig ESC needs re-programming. Or??

Leave a comment:

• RCjetdude
    replied
    Mine pulls 93A on a fresh battery through a watt meter.

Leave a comment:

• 19000rpm
    replied
    I'm wondering what the stock 1800kV motor amp draw should be on the bench.

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.MotionRC View Post

You guys are gutsy! A narrow path and trees on both sides. I though the narrow streets where we sometimes fly were tricky, this is another level, well done!
    Thanks man! We fly the F-5 there as well... here is the 2 flying together...

Leave a comment:

• Marco Polo
    replied
    Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
    By the way... here is one of our flights from the narrow path we fly from here in our area....
    You guys are gutsy! A narrow path and trees on both sides. I though the narrow streets where we sometimes fly were tricky, this is another level, well done!

Leave a comment:

• gooniac33
    replied
    By the way... here is one of our flights from the narrow path we fly from here in our area....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X