Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I totally agree with Dcorsairs statements. I noticed too that the A4 seems to fly better with the ordinance on so sometimes I fly with rockets on, sometimes rockets and droptanks but mostly I fly with just the drop tanks on. Besides they are a great indicator of n undecent landing...if they move slightly or fall off you did a ****ty landing Lol! I also used to come in slower but besides making the touchdown more difficult the droptanks may touch the ground..ever since I come in slightly hotter and I got really the hang of landing this thing now. Today we have been flying 6 guys at thea same time in the air...3 Vipers...1 Stinger and my A4, it was awesome!
    I wished I could decide to push the button that easily but I am still paying off the A4. I need to save money for a while to get one so need to carefully think which one I would love to have next.
    ​​

Comment

• Hi guys, I’m new to this forum and can use some info with regards to EDFs. I’ve been in the hobby for many decades but new to Edfs. I’m putting together a FW A4 and I’m using the stock motor and fan. I have a FW 130a esc with the 8a bec. Although the its suggested that the plane use the 100a esc, do you see any reason why the 130a would interfere with the over all performance of the motor/fan? Any feed back will be appreciated.
      thanks

Comment

• I have roughly 200 flights on my a4. All stock.
        The 130a esc won't do anything bad. But it might be heavy. Why not go stock? The stock 80mm units are very good.
        Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Originally posted by flazz View Post
          Hi guys, I’m new to this forum and can use some info with regards to EDFs. I’ve been in the hobby for many decades but new to Edfs. I’m putting together a FW A4 and I’m using the stock motor and fan. I have a FW 130a esc with the 8a bec. Although the its suggested that the plane use the 100a esc, do you see any reason why the 130a would interfere with the over all performance of the motor/fan? Any feed back will be appreciated.
          thanks
          Welcome to HobbySquawk and the wonderful world of EDF's flazz! The 130A ESC is a little heavier than stock but should work fine. If that is what you have then go for it! To Seaviper's point it is a little overkill.

Comment

• Thanks guy's, that's what I need to hear. The reason I'm using the 130a, I have one, motion is out of the stock 100a, and funds for edf's are low. My concern was if I used it and it was some how restrict the power required it may not get of the ground or once in the air its wallowing around the air with the hope I can make it back to the runway. Would not be a good situation.
            Also, any correction to the 195 cg call out? And is that with gear down or up? The 3 gear all swing forward so that will shift the cg forward giving it a little nose have depending on in which configuration it was balanced. Any up or down elevator trim with flaps deployed?

Glad to be aboard with you guys .............

Comment

• Welcome home to Hobby Squawk, Flazz! Ground test and check your timing. If you got the 130A from a PNP with an outrunner motor, you should be fine.

The guys here can post their preference for CG. I weighed in with my preference (I wrote the manual ;) ).
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Flazz I balanced the A-4 with wheels down. That way when wheels go up CG moves a little bit fwd. But it really doesn't matter wheels up or down. She is not that picky about CG.

The CG should be as depicted here...this has worked for me with no trim required for 200+ flights
                https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...7567#post97567

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=97568&d=1505916856.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	156758
                Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks guy's .....Alpha, Is there a way test the timing issue without entering into ESC-beep-hell ..LOL? If not, how do I test that the timing is correct for my set up?

Comment

• Originally posted by flazz View Post
                    Thanks guy's .....Alpha, Is there a way test the timing issue without entering into ESC-beep-hell ..LOL? If not, how do I test that the timing is correct for my set up?
                    Usually, I’ve seen the stock ESC’s timing set from the factory most times at Medium. That usually works just fine with the stock outrunner motor power system. That doesn’t mean yours is set to that timing though, and is always best to check, and I’ve received some at different timing settings. If you want to see what timing your ESC is at easily, I highly recommend you get a Hobbywing program card. These program cards make things much easier and quicker to get settings checked and/of altered for the Hobbywing and Freewing ESC’s.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...ogramming-card

Comment

• Really got the hang of landing this thing finally smoothly and methodically. Also pic of when we flew the 6 of us together, it was fun!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• What is the deal with landing this jet. Ive never had any issues landing. I come from a rc 3d heli background. I never flew any plane, bought the f16 artic camo and flew it and landed first time flying with no issues. Since then ive bought the su35, f35, and the t45. Could always land with a rare dead stick bounce landing. Now for the life of me i cannot land this a4 without a major bounce. Not hard enough to do damage but its not pretty and its beating this jet up. Ive tried to grease the pavement 2 inches high for 50 yards, with speed and it bounces. Ive tried flaps and no flaps with bounce. Ive tried super duper slow with a perfect looking flare and touchdown and it bounces. This isnt what i was expecting from this plane. My su35 will kick the crap out of this a4 in performance, thrust and speed. Any suggestions peeps.

Comment

• Originally posted by dbirds2 View Post
                          What is the deal with landing this jet. Ive never had any issues landing. I come from a rc 3d heli background. I never flew any plane, bought the f16 artic camo and flew it and landed first time flying with no issues. Since then ive bought the su35, f35, and the t45. Could always land with a rare dead stick bounce landing. Now for the life of me i cannot land this a4 without a major bounce. Not hard enough to do damage but its not pretty and its beating this jet up. Ive tried to grease the pavement 2 inches high for 50 yards, with speed and it bounces. Ive tried flaps and no flaps with bounce. Ive tried super duper slow with a perfect looking flare and touchdown and it bounces. This isnt what i was expecting from this plane. My su35 will kick the crap out of this a4 in performance, thrust and speed. Any suggestions peeps.
                          Sounds like your just a tad tail heavy. Add some weight to the nose, make it a bit nose heavy. This is hear say as I don't own one. If it makes you feel any better, I red a whole write up by the RC Geek about this. Look it up. Basically it's not bouncing, it's porpoising up when you land.

Woody

Comment

• I did not get the impression the A4 would be anywhere close to difficult to land (or not making it bounce) but rather blamed my inexperience with Edf (being it my first edf). Here is my very first maiden landing of the A4. Problem is on the subsequent flights you start loosing fear of flying it and worrying less (planning less) how to approach landings. Now I learnt to be more systematic and methodical..coming in with the aprox same throttle and elevator position letting it come down by its own, rather than forcing it. Timing is key here so it settles down at the beginning of the runway. Also learnt that not coming in too slow helps, otherwise you have to be more careful that you do not pancake it too harsh (leading it to bounce).

Last edited by Petronio; Oct 20, 2018, 05:25 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Very nice landing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Petronio View Post
                                I did not get the impression the A4 would be anywhere close to difficult to land (or not making it bounce) but rather blamed my inexperience with Edf (being it my first edf). Here is my very first maiden landing of the A4. Problem is on the subsequent flights you start loosing fear of flying it and worrying less (planning less) how to approach landings. Now I learnt to be more systematic and methodical..coming in with the aprox same throttle and elevator position letting it come down by its own, rather than forcing it. Timing is key here so it settles down at the beginning of the runway. Also learnt that not coming in too slow helps, otherwise you have to be more careful that you do not pancake it too harsh (leading it to bounce).

https://youtu.be/WPaZZ7Uz5bI
                                WOW ! Greaser.... EXCELLENT APPROACH!

Great landings result from great approaches
                                Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Thanks guys...I wonder myself that it turned out that good LOL

Comment

• The a4 has got to go. Not impressed at all. The landings i got down now. No need for flaps on this brick. This is the slowest jet ive flown. My 3d foam hottrigger plane has got much more speed than this a4. I thought my su35 was slow but it kicks the crap out of the a4 and it flys much much better. The a4 is just too dense and heavy. This thing is out or take a stab at 12 inch off pavement low passes and of i bury it i dont care. The power sucks on the a4. Probably the weakest power out of any jet ive flown or seen flown. Very dissapointed. Not to mention its the hardest jet to track.

Comment

• Finally had a chance to taxi test the RNZAF A-4 after 6 months of languishing in the "paint booth"... Tomorrow is weathering day, if all goes well, then a final coat of flat clear and then the maiden.... Thanks to Callie for the graphics, as usual!!! :Cool: After I put the wings on and looked at the pics, I can see all the dust and fingerprints from the wings setting on the shelf!! Sorry girl....

Comment

• I will post a few more of the drop tanks and missiles in a bit....

Comment

• Originally posted by dbirds2 View Post
                                          The a4 has got to go. Not impressed at all. The landings i got down now. No need for flaps on this brick. This is the slowest jet ive flown. My 3d foam hottrigger plane has got much more speed than this a4. I thought my su35 was slow but it kicks the crap out of the a4 and it flys much much better. The a4 is just too dense and heavy. This thing is out or take a stab at 12 inch off pavement low passes and of i bury it i dont care. The power sucks on the a4. Probably the weakest power out of any jet ive flown or seen flown. Very dissapointed. Not to mention its the hardest jet to track.
                                          Hmm.... Mine flies great!

Comment

Working...
                                          X