Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From fire team to Marine Corps - an interactive look at the Marine Corps’ organizational structure.

Comment

• ? Navy is a Department. Marines is a branch. Two kinds of people join. Young boys that want to be men and gorillas . I am joking. We have these inter service rivalries until we need to go to work and defend our freedoms.

Are you a Marine? Once a Marine always a Marine! Air or ground?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
        ? Navy is a Department. Marines is a branch. Two kinds of people join. Young boys that want to be men and gorillas . I am joking. We have these inter service rivalries until we need to go to work and defend our freedoms.

Navy guy, 79-83, Midway/Enterprise. Worked with Marines a lot, wasn’t much fun. 2 Marine RF-4’s came aboard the Midway, they left every night and flew up to Tehran taking pics, we had to load them and arm/dearm them, they didn’t bring support. As a newly minted Captain at SWA I flew with a Marine who still got his hair really short. I told him now that he’s retired he could grow his hair longer. He still thought he was a F-18 squadron commander. It was a real SMH three-day trip moment.

jp

Comment

• I was on Midway 77-79… then cross decked to Ike all 1980 in the gulf.

Comment

I was on Midway 77-79… then cross decked to Ike all 1980 in the gulf.
            Midway Magic, guys would actually reup and stay on that ship in Japan. Not me, I left as soon as I could. In fact when my time was up I split, E5 and they were gonna give E6 if I stayed, I was gone, I wanted to start flying and although the Navy was good for me I had to go.

Comment

• They had their reasons. Being from the PI or married to one mostly. GIVE you 1st Class? Doubt that. Sounds like you made the right choice for you.

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	2FDA06FB-1C97-43AC-B19F-AAD0D7A06C9C.jpg Views:	3 Size:	94.8 KB ID:	382311
                Originally posted by [ATTACH=JSON
                {"data-align":"none","data-size":"large","data-attachmentid":382311}[/ATTACH] ;n382203]? Navy is a Department. Marines is a branch. Two kinds of people join. Young boys that want to be men and gorillas . I am joking. We have these inter service rivalries until we need to go to work and defend our freedoms.

I was USMCR infantry. My dad was enlisted in VMA214 in Iwakuni Japan, Chu Lai, VN, and Cherry Point. Some time was in the MAGTF office in intel. I wish I had my dad’s slides from his service time. Lots and Lots of A4c model pictures including a lightly damaged on from a sapper attack. What I thought was an oil stain on the PSP planking was all that was left of that sapper. The indigenous base barber was one of the attackers.

So I have a not so wild hair to do a VMA214 scheme.

Comment

• Thank you for your service. and your fathers.

Comment

Thank you for your service. and your fathers.

Thanks Evan, I never figured I did that much though. About ten years of marine reserve and guard time combined.

Comment

• You deserve the thanks. You signed the contract, you served. Respect.

Comment

• Well thank you kindly! You made feel good so I ordered the PNP improved Freewing A4 Skyhawk! I have been kicking this can down the road a long time! Finally!

Comment

• Originally posted by Steelon Steel View Post
                          Well thank you kindly! You made feel good so I ordered the PNP improved Freewing A4 Skyhawk! I have been kicking this can down the road a long time! Finally!

Steel, Callie has 214 decals for your scooter.

SF

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post

Steel, Callie has 214 decals for your scooter.

SF
                            I was originally planning on those when the plane had the decals on a sheet. I see they are preapplied now. I know I tore the paint all to heck on my Gloster Gladiator. The damn silver was not well adhered to the foam.

How does one get the decals off without making a mess?

Comment

• Personally, if the OEM paint isn't sticking, then painting over it won't help as it will eventually come off too. I take it off with acetone and lots of paper towels. No, it won't all come off. Clean it well with isopropyl. Then fill with Sherwin Williams spackle where needed. Base coat is your preference as most work pretty good. If you have a color brand you're going with, it's probably best to stick with their base. Keep any sanding fine and very light. The friction will gator the foam. Keep all coats, especially the first few, very light as the propellent will also gator the foam.

Most of the paints coming from Motion and FMS these days stick pretty well. I normally just paint over those and any decals.
                              Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Thanks for the tips!

Comment

• What nuts and volts said, just paint over the existing decals. That works well. As long as you’re not headed to a scale competition hoping for a big win. I’ve done it both ways, and have been mostly satisfied with just painting over the decals. I’m surprised the new version of the A-4 comes with the decals already applied. I wonder why they’d do that?
                                  I’ve wanted to do a 214 A-4 myself, but haven’t got up the nerve to try the canopy mod for a A-4M. I guess they also flew early C or D models?

Post photos when you get it done!
                                  SF

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	52C0D8CA-6857-479C-AF3D-62394467393C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.7 KB ID:	382517
                                    Last edited by Steelon Steel; Jul 19, 2023, 01:58 PM. Reason: Attribute to mongo from RCG.

Comment

• I really like this even though I doubt that is a legit scheme. The orange I mean. Mongo at RCG did this and I may copy it.

It looks cool, and most of all I can probably keep it oriented!

They did have B and C versions iirc in VN. That is what they deployed with their first rotation.

Comment

• Oh,very nice. I have to say they did a nice job on the preapplied decals even though I didn’t want them on. The only thing that was fudged a bit was the underwing insignia, it’s crooked as the fudged the fit around the aileron servo and the flap. The decals are nice and thin so I just may overpaint them.

Very well packed!

Thanks Motion!

Comment

• those graphics on mine, are from callie graphics. never a nicer lady to work with, or a better artist to do what she does.
                                          when they outlaw R/C, only outlaws will have R/C

Comment

Working...
                                          X