Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Guys, I maidened my A4 today and it flies beautifully.

I used most of the recommendations in this thread, thank you all!

Comment

• Congratulations!!

Comment

• maiden day for the A4 great flying plane just needed a few clicks of down or up. Darn hard to see when its gray skys and far away
        A4 speed pass on maiden - YouTube
        Maiden A4 landing - YouTube

Comment

• got a cash infussion so i converted all my 80mm and one 90mm jet to the 9 blade fans with 1920's and the 90mm to the 1900 inrunner seems iam out of cash and jets that need more power ..
          stinger 90 A4 l39 ,,the t33 and red avanti s came with 9 blade fan,, oh just remembered i have 3 jets stashed in the closet...no way are closet queens getting any upgrades for awhile..i really am impressed with the new power the 1920 inrunner has off the grass of which i fly

Comment

• Arrrrrgh!

I tried to buy the Freewing A4 today. Of course I messed it up.

I saw the extra power version first and looked to page two for the standard powered one. Threw it in the cart, added a bunch of needed hardware and checked out.

Only then did I see I did not have the base powered unit but the no powered unit. The ARF plus no fan etc. ☹️. Haste makes waste I guess. I called right away and couldn’t change my order only could cancel it. (sounded like an Indian call center). So I cancelled it and was told to try reordering in 3-4 days.

Bummer.

Comment

• The main gear retracts are pretty fragile. The threaded hole for the pin to rotate the gear leaves very little of the pin.
              I have broken 2 right main gear at that point.
              Anyone know of stronger retract that would work on the A4?

Comment

• Not really, with the design it’s pretty specialized. Are you doing carrier landings on grass?

Comment

• It seems the pin that attaches the strut to the retract is too brittle on the replacements that I have replaced - does not bend.
                  The left main that came with the plane is still OK.
                  I bounced the landing 8 to 10 inches and it took out the right main and nose gear both of which had been replaced from a rough landing due to a battery failure.
                  I had many flights prior to that with no problems.

Comment

• I'd like to share my first arrested hook landing with the skyhawk.
                    It took me some time to get things working, but now it looks great when the plane catches the wire ...
                    Filmed @ BMV belgium, maybe the first tail hook landing in Belgium...

Enjoy!

Didier

Comment

• [QUOTE=didier n;n329373]I'd like to share my first arrested hook landing with the skyhawk.
                      It took me some time to get things working, but now it looks great when the plane catches the wire ...
                      Filmed @ BMV belgium, maybe the first tail hook landing in Belgium...

Enjoy!

Very cool! OK underlined. (Look that up)

Comment

• Today we did some more carrier landings, this video is even better than the previous one in my opinion...

Regards,

Didier

Comment

• I bought a new Freewing A-4, arrived via Fedex in just three days from Chicago to remote Wyoming where I live! I used to have an A-4 for years, loved flying it, but decided to sell it a couple of years ago when we moved.

Whenever possible, I like to figure out some way to make tail hooks usable, or at least moveable. I did on my last A-4, but sorta forgot how I did it years ago. I was surprised and delighted to see that on the motor cover on the bottom of the fuselage, inside, there is a deep formed pocket just perfect for putting a servo and connecting rod to the hook.

Others have already done this moveable hook thing, so I guess it's pretty common now, but I thought I'd include a few pics of what I came up with, in case there is anyone thinking of doing the same thing. It's pretty easy to do, and I think will work well. I did make a small channel in the foam to route the servo wire away from the motor and air blast. I decided to do some different markings than the stock ones this time, so I chose a set from Callie, depicting VA-152, circa 1968.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0735.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	329775Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0737.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	329776Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0736.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	329777Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0738.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	329778Click image for larger version

Name:	a-4_va-152_150044_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	329779

Comment

• Thanks so much for sharing Dave!

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                              Thanks so much for sharing Dave!
                              My pleasure! With an old servo lying around, some stiff wire and a little glue, this is an easy functional addition to this legendary airplane. If you have any questions if you or anyone else decide to do it, drop me a line.

cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by didier n View Post
                                Today we did some more carrier landings, this video is even better than the previous one in my opinion...

Regards,

Didier
                                Hi Didier: Totally cool experimentation you are doing with carrier landings with the A-4! A big "thumbs up" from a buddy of mine who used to fly F-14s onto the carriers that I showed the video clip to.

One question: do you think it is possible to eventually shorten the landing distance to the wire, in other words, make it a bit more realistic with catching a wire right after touchdown? Not sure if the hook mechanism would have the strength to do that since the aircraft would be traveling faster at that point, but that would be cool if that is possible. In any event, very nice work that you did with this!!👍

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Hi Didier: Totally cool experimentation you are doing with carrier landings with the A-4! A big "thumbs up" from a buddy of mine who used to fly F-14s onto the carriers that I showed the video clip to.

One question: do you think it is possible to eventually shorten the landing distance to the wire, in other words, make it a bit more realistic with catching a wire right after touchdown? Not sure if the hook mechanism would have the strength to do that since the aircraft would be traveling faster at that point, but that would be cool if that is possible. In any event, very nice work that you did with this!!👍
                                  Thanks!

Well, i'm aiming to get closer to the wire, but it ain't easy I'm fairly sure the hook will hold it, because the tension of the wire is not to strong... it's almost winter time here, so i hope to get better results during the summer !

Regards,

Didier

Comment

• Originally posted by didier n View Post

Thanks!

Well, i'm aiming to get closer to the wire, but it ain't easy I'm fairly sure the hook will hold it, because the tension of the wire is not to strong... it's almost winter time here, so i hope to get better results during the summer !

Regards,

Didier
                                    Very good, Didier! I know it can't be easy to even hit the "boat" as accurately as you have! It was very impressive once the hook caught the wire and slowed it down in a realistic manner, even the little backwards roll of the plane before the cable was released. We look forward to seeing more testing next summer when the weather is more suitable for it!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
                                      I bought a new Freewing A-4, arrived via Fedex in just three days from Chicago to remote Wyoming where I live! I used to have an A-4 for years, loved flying it, but decided to sell it a couple of years ago when we moved.

Whenever possible, I like to figure out some way to make tail hooks usable, or at least moveable. I did on my last A-4, but sorta forgot how I did it years ago. I was surprised and delighted to see that on the motor cover on the bottom of the fuselage, inside, there is a deep formed pocket just perfect for putting a servo and connecting rod to the hook.

Others have already done this moveable hook thing, so I guess it's pretty common now, but I thought I'd include a few pics of what I came up with, in case there is anyone thinking of doing the same thing. It's pretty easy to do, and I think will work well. I did make a small channel in the foam to route the servo wire away from the motor and air blast. I decided to do some different markings than the stock ones this time, so I chose a set from Callie, depicting VA-152, circa 1968.
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0735.jpg Views:	72 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	329775Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0737.jpg Views:	62 Size:	99.4 KB ID:	329776Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0736.jpg Views:	64 Size:	65.6 KB ID:	329777Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0738.jpg Views:	63 Size:	115.9 KB ID:	329778Click image for larger version  Name:	a-4_va-152_150044_1024x1024.jpg Views:	63 Size:	83.4 KB ID:	329779
                                      I got the maiden in this morning with my new A-4F. It is in standard markings for the moment as I await Callie's sheets to finish the plane as one from the VA-152 Mavericks, circa 1970.

I used most of Chris Wolfe RC Geek's suggested flight control settings and they worked well, although it is still very sensitive and I was probably over controlling it. Also, I added one oz. of weight in the nose to move the CG forward to 185mm aft versus the manual suggested 195mm, due to some pitch up issues Chris encountered on his initial flights. No real unexpected issues, just need to fly it some more to feel more comfortable with it.

It will take several flights to get it where I want it. I used to have one of these for years that I sold, but it was fun to get back in the saddle again with a new Scooter!

davegee
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0744.jpgadjusted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.0 KB ID:	330061Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0745.jpgadjusted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.3 KB ID:	330062

Comment

• Through a combination of high winds and now snow, my flight operations have ground to a halt for the time being. I still have a E Flite Timber on floats that works well on the snow, so that's probably a good near-term plan.

During this down time, I have pretty much completed the extras and markings (Callie) for my A-4. I replaced the pilot with one from Chris Wolfe's RC Geek company, added some details like cockpit painting, and scratchbuilt ejection handle and gunsight. I also used his (Chris') example to make a functioning retractable nose gear door, which seems to work ok. Added a few exterior lights, as well. I have a three position tail hook that I might eventually try some "trap" tests as some others on Hobby Squawk have already successfully demonstrated, we'll see.

I also added thin plastic sheeting on the inside of the flaps, which made them more scale, and also easier to put the aircraft numbers on them. I may to a few more things as time goes by, but this was just a fun challenge of doing a little detailing on a bird I intend to fly a lot. Only two flights on it so far, but it seems to be pretty much trimmed out now.

Davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0803.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.4 KB ID:	331727Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0804.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.2 KB ID:	331728Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0807.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.1 KB ID:	331729Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0802.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.5 KB ID:	331730Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0809.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.0 KB ID:	331731Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0806.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.4 KB ID:	331734Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0805.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.7 KB ID:	331732
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Looks good. I haven’t put mine together yet and am considering different markings too.
                                          Did you remove the dark blue paint on the rudder or just put Callie’s decal over it?
                                          Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X