X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

...my dad, brother & I) will keep it hammered flat with a ride on 1-1/2 ton vibratory roller that dad acquired on the cheap(<$250) just for this purpose.
    Man, that's the way to go. You do that to your BWA strip each spring and it will be like a golf green. A nice smooth grass strip is excellent. I wish I could get my hands on a used roller like yours. My field needs it.
    A fellow in our club has access to the big stuff (highway roller), but we're sure it would destroy the Geotex if we tried it.
    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Man, that's the way to go. You do that to your BWA strip each spring and it will be like a golf green. A nice smooth grass strip is excellent. I wish I could get my hands on a used roller like yours. My field needs it.
      A fellow in our club has access to the big stuff (highway roller), but we're sure it would destroy the Geotex if we tried it.
      Got the PM with the updated cost info, appreciate the feedback.
      Would run me about $3K to cover 300 ft of the 40x500 strip.
      A little more than I care to dump so I'll just ride the rolling hammer.LOL
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• So now that the A-4 has been out for a while can you all tell me how the stall characteristics are and what to look out for?
        I had the Yellow A/C A- 4 and it would stall real easy and in a split second drop a wing role on it's back and flip You the bird as if it had a suicidal death wish.
        Does this have any bad tendency?

Comment

• I think it's a very docile plane. Like the full size jet, you can get "behind the power curve" making a tight turn to final. If you keep the angle of attack relatively flat during approaches, there no tendency to stall whatsoever. Setting the CG on the forward side of what's recommended seems to be the happiest setup. Most challenging for me is keeping it on all three wheels during a crosswind landing rollout. I've got some scuffed up drop tanks! Great plane!

Comment

• I agree with Geek.

That's interesting that the yellow A-4 had that tendency. Same plane, different characteristics. Motion must have tweaked the design. Maybe the washout in the tips is helping.

Crosswind landings are tricky. I added a plastic tab on the outside bottom edge of the wing, to keep it from being scuffed up during landing. I think I've repainted my fuel tanks twice now! But so far, no accidents.

Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• I have this airplane and I love it! My dad worked for Pensacola Naval Air Rework Facility (NARF) in Pensacola, FL. When the Blue Angels went from the F-4 (gonna get that one too!) to the A-4 in the midst of the Gas Crisis, he was the one that got the phone call from the Navy Dept. to "pick out 10 low-time A-4's from the fleet for the Blues". My dad just laughed and told him there WERE NO low time A-4's! He found 10 for the Blues anyway..... So, I have a real connection with this airplane. Just a question... has anyone figured out a good way to modify the fueling probe so it has the bend in it....thought about heating it up but just wanted to see if anyone out there had an idea before I re-invent the wheel....

Comment

• I did the heat method for bending the plastic rod but extreme care must be taken not to apply too much heat. A little bit at a time.
                Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Welcome to HobbySquawk Tony and many thanks to your dad for his service and for playing such and instrumental roles in these beautiful jets. I also used a heat gun to gently heat the tube to bend it. Like Dave said, just a little at a time. I love the A-4 Blues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171204_125511.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	131560

Name:	20171216_140556_001.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	131561

Comment

• I keep reading about guys moveing the battery way back past 195mm cg and how great it flys but what the average joe using for cg? 180 to 185mm or what? I am joe average jet flyer not mr expert so just trying to figure it all out...the a4 looks too good to crash on maiden for sure...also what throws are being used for airalons etc..someday ill learn to spell also...

Steve have you flown ol number 6 yet?

Tony I used to work at whiteing field in aimd electronics shop was always at NARF picking up arc 27's or arn 14's etc 69 to 73 may have crossed paths with your dad...

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                      I think it's a very docile plane. Like the full size jet, you can get "behind the power curve" making a tight turn to final. If you keep the angle of attack relatively flat during approaches, there no tendency to stall whatsoever. Setting the CG on the forward side of what's recommended seems to be the happiest setup. Most challenging for me is keeping it on all three wheels during a crosswind landing rollout. I've got some scuffed up drop tanks! Great plane!
                      RC Junkey,

From my experience, The FW A-4 can and will stall in the same manner. If you're up high enough go into spin recovery mode by bringing throttle to idle, down elevator and hard right rudder.

Keep the speed up in the turns. She also likes a nice stabilized approach . I would not deploy full flaps in a base to final turn. Ha ! She can bite you. With an Admiral 5000, I have it positioned forward to the shelf.

Steve, I love the Blues rendition ! A work of art. That one and your F4J would make any Navy guy proud ! Wish I could get to Nall.
                      Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                      Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                      I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
                        I keep reading about guys moveing the battery way back past 195mm cg and how great it flys but what the average joe using for cg? 180 to 185mm or what? I am joe average jet flyer not mr expert so just trying to figure it all out...the a4 looks too good to crash on maiden for sure...also what throws are being used for airalons etc..someday ill learn to spell also...

Steve have you flown ol number 6 yet?

Tony I used to work at whiteing field in aimd electronics shop was always at NARF picking up arc 27's or arn 14's etc 69 to 73 may have crossed paths with your dad...
                        Ron, still have not had a chance to maiden the Blue #6. Hopefully I will get to at Nall.

Dave, I wish you could get to Nall as well. Maybe I can make it to Grapevine this year. Would love to meet you.

The trick to the aft CG from what I have read is to reduce the elevator throw considerably as well. Somewhere around 1/2" up and down. I think mine is around the 180-185 mark.

Comment

• thanks Steve good luck on the maiden I know u have a ton of work in yours

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                            Welcome to HobbySquawk Tony and many thanks to your dad for his service and for playing such and instrumental roles in these beautiful jets. I also used a heat gun to gently heat the tube to bend it. Like Dave said, just a little at a time. I love the A-4 Blues.

Name:	20171204_125511.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	131560

Name:	20171216_140556_001.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	131561
                            Awfully pretty Steve!! Now that I'm going to Nefi, can't wait to see them in person!!

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Been a while since I posted any progress on the RNZAF A-4.... Long story, but she is making progress again!! Pics to follow... :)

Comment

• The wings are still drying...They have "new" paint. Had to switch paints since the original choice of latex did not like the airbrush at all.... Went back to Behr from Home Depot and it works like a dream.... Changed the colors slightly to give more contrast. I like it so far!!! :Drinks::Cool: The port wing still needs more dark green, but it is coming along....

Comment

• Got to maiden the Blue Angel's #6 at Joe Nall. It flew very well and looked great in the air. Sorry, no pictures. Things were a bit crazy when I flew it. Lots of air traffic.

Comment

• Congrats on the maiden.... Sorry it got rained out!!!

Comment

• Resprayed today with the "new" paint that contrasts a little more. Started the bottom color on the drop tanks... It is coming along.... If anyone has a set of drop tanks they are not using, please let me know and I will gladly pay you for them!! I want to use them on the HSD A1-H Skyraider. I will Pay Pal you whatever you think is fair for the set!! Thanks in advance!!! Jerry

Comment

• Such a beautiful bird. I loved the Blue Angel A-4's.

Name:	IMG_20180520_202715.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	133393

Name:	IMG_20180520_202726.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	133394

Name:	IMG_20180520_203814.jpg